Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Don't disagree with you at all on any points. I see the value somewhat in addition to getting Pavelec signed though. I think Chevy sends a good message with this signing to other players on the team and throughout the league in some respects. It says we'll work to sign players we want to keep with our team. We won't be really, really cheap, like the league rumours suggest Winnipeg will be. Management wants players they believe in and that fit the community as well.

Is he overpaid? Yeah, relative to performance to this point. Does the contract send a message beyond Pavelec? Absolutely.
Welcome to the boards!

Nice username btw, is it Bugs Bunny related at all?

Old
06-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Those guys sound like the biggest D bags around.

Is there business plan just to talk crap, write like morons, and be critical just to get hits?

Looks like it.
One of their guys is on Twitter saying it would have been smarter to make a play for Bobrovsky, as a "cheaper, comparable talent".

Guess he's right about the cheaper part.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Yeah but, "you're off the case Pavelec!" doesn't sound nearly as cool a catchphrase.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:38 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
The pick reminds me a lot of the Jets 1.0 picks Aaron Ward or Bryan Marchment. Trouba is not a sexy pick. It doesn't mean he's a bad one.
Supadupah my feeling is that Trouba has more O upside than Ward or Marchment no? I admit I wasn't around Winnipeg when they were drafted and perhaps they were expected to produce more offensively at the time of their draft and that aspect of their games never panned out but my expectations of Trouba's offensive upside is certainly more along the lines of Jack Jahnson, Bogosian, or Dion Phaneuf (also drafted at #9 overall). Perhaps Trouba will fall short of those expectations but he has some serious chops IMHO

Old
06-25-2012, 09:38 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Mostly agree with everything you said here, especially from the standpoint that the KHL 'leveraging' was largely a crock, and I really hope Chevy saw through that in negotiating the contract. My feeling right now is that this was overpayment, not absolutely stupid overpayment, but overpayment nonetheless.

Having said that, I also am totally bewildered at a select number of people (present company excluded) that slag Pavelec, primarily on the basis of his save percentage. Seriously? He's a 24 year old goalie in his second year of being unquestioned starter, and has played brilliantly for the most part. I guess for some, a pedestrian save percentage that dropped as a result of an average first quarter and some blowout losses is a more important evaluation tool.
Certain games against Philly didn't help.

Quote:
The pick reminds me a lot of the Jets 1.0 picks Aaron Ward or Bryan Marchment. Trouba is not a sexy pick. It doesn't mean he's a bad one.
Not very many picks were "sexy" this year. Aside from the top three, none were sexy.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Glad to see him re-signed, but it's too much money for what he's done, IMO. I get paying for potential, but still think Jets overpaid here.
I tend to side with you here Holden. Dollars and term is too much for an unproven goalie.

Hopefully Pavs continues to grow and outperforms that contract. That would be great.

06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Not me. Unlike those two guys, Trouba can skate backwards and do cross-overs. In fact, he is an excellent skater.

Actually, today I feel more confident about this pick than Scheifele, even though Scheifele had a pretty good year. Trouba looks to be a low risk / high reward type of player, with very good fundamentals and character. He appears to have the potential of becoming a defensive anchor, along with Bogosian. It's a good way to build a long-term winner.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:59 PM
flyingjay

vCash: 1500
I'm new here. Been browsing for a long time but finally joined.

I think Chevy paid Pavs what he is worth. Yeah, his stats were sub-par at the end of the year. I really think he was overworked the last 1/4 of the season and it showed.

I feel like he didn't lose very many games for us. I made it to 30ish games last season (I'm lucky enough to have seasons)...very rarely did I feel he had an off night. He always played hard and gave us the best chance to win. I felt our defense "sieved" a lot more than he did (Johnny O and Buff come to mind on a number of occasions)...and that was a big cause for the poor stats.

I feel that Chevy was trying (and rightly so) to get a bit of a discount on the price and Mr. Walsh wouldn't give in...seems like a fair deal to me. I'm more than thrilled to have Pavs as our goalie long-term. With a bit more development, I think we have a serious contender for a top 10 and possibly top 5 goalie in the NHL.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjay View Post
I'm new here. Been browsing for a long time but finally joined.

I think Chevy paid Pavs what he is worth. Yeah, his stats were sub-par at the end of the year. I really think he was overworked the last 1/4 of the season and it showed.

I feel like he didn't lose very many games for us. I made it to 30ish games last season (I'm lucky enough to have seasons)...very rarely did I feel he had an off night. He always played hard and gave us the best chance to win. I felt our defense "sieved" a lot more than he did (Johnny O and Buff come to mind on a number of occasions)...and that was a big cause for the poor stats.

I feel that Chevy was trying (and rightly so) to get a bit of a discount on the price and Mr. Walsh wouldn't give in...seems like a fair deal to me. I'm more than thrilled to have Pavs as our goalie long-term. With a bit more development, I think we have a serious contender for a top 10 and possibly top 5 goalie in the NHL.
Well said.

And welcome.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:35 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Not me. Unlike those two guys, Trouba can skate backwards and do cross-overs. In fact, he is an excellent skater.

Actually, today I feel more confident about this pick than Scheifele, even though Scheifele had a pretty good year. Trouba looks to be a low risk / high reward type of player, with very good fundamentals and character. He appears to have the potential of becoming a defensive anchor, along with Bogosian. It's a good way to build a long-term winner.
I didn't mean they are identical skill-wise. Trouba and Ward were very similar pick in that they were safe, low risk picks. Trouba probably has more offensive upside. Marchment was a little higher risk, but put up bigger numbers.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:36 PM
wpgallday1960

Glad Pavs is signed. Deal seems a little pricey given his resume so far but if he fulfills his potential it will be worth it.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:38 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Supadupah my feeling is that Trouba has more O upside than Ward or Marchment no? I admit I wasn't around Winnipeg when they were drafted and perhaps they were expected to produce more offensively at the time of their draft and that aspect of their games never panned out but my expectations of Trouba's offensive upside is certainly more along the lines of Jack Jahnson, Bogosian, or Dion Phaneuf (also drafted at #9 overall). Perhaps Trouba will fall short of those expectations but he has some serious chops IMHO
I think Marchment would have been thought to have more O upside. That was so long ago now, I honestly can't remember exactly. I do know Marchment was somewhat of a letdown even though he played almost 1000 nhl games.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
My first response to this kind of money is... that's insane for playing a game.

But the reality is this is exactly what he's worth. If he trends down, everyone will second guess it for 4-5 years, if he trends upwards, we'll all be talking about the great signing Chevy made.

One of the things I'm noticing in this thread is that people in general don't seem to be recalling what team he played for. He played for one of the worst teams in the league. He faces a lot of bad scoring situations, he has some defenders that love to wander, and yet we can all think of literally 2-3 games where Pav's has stolen the show.

How would we look at Pav if he was behind the Ranger's defence, enjoying 3,482 blocked shots a night?

I had this conversation yesterday and honestly thought I wouldn't want to pay more than 3, but 5 was out of the question. I imagined 4 would be dead in the land of both sides getting fair market.

Pav was pretty essential to wrap up. This is a great start to next season.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:05 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Good news! I bet Pavs could have just feinted!

Old
06-25-2012, 11:09 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Good news! I bet Pavs could have just feinted!
That's not nice!

Old
06-25-2012, 11:24 PM
UpsideDown

I'm not trying to be a negatron but there are some patterns beginning to form and I don't like it. In the biggest three moves since the team got here the Jets have gone away from the norm ie twice at the draft they passed on the best player available in the first round. Now they clearly overpaid for upside on a shaky tender. They could have got a proven goalie for that kind of money or started Gus for half the dough. As bad as they made him out to be in Toronto he had a better winning percentage than Pavs last year while playing on a worse team.

I think they have gambled big time on three occasions for no reason. Certainly time will tell but it is very concerning.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDown View Post
I'm not trying to be a negatron but there are some patterns beginning to form and I don't like it. In the biggest three moves since the team got here the Jets have gone away from the norm ie twice at the draft they passed on the best player available in the first round.
No, they took the player they had ranked as the best player available.

People REALLY need to get away from this "they didn't take BPA" thing. Yes, they did take BPA -- they took who they had ranked as BPA. They have a list that they did not get from TSN or ISS, and they went down their list, like every team did.

Quote:
I think they have gambled big time on three occasions for no reason. Certainly time will tell but it is very concerning.
Scheifele is for sure a higher-risk project, but Trouba was considered one of the lowest-risk prospects in the draft. So no, they did not "gamble big time" on this year's draft. In fact, they went for one of the lowest-risk, highest-reward prospects in the entire first round.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Wow, three new posters all within a few posts all came out in this thread.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Martin21

As a goalie I had a strong positive feeling for Pavs. Just like Khabibulin (his youth size goals for kids jersey is still hanging in my room)

I told my GF way before any of the KHL rumours started that if he resigned i'd get his name on either one of my jerseys. For a bit I thought I jinxed it. Now we're going to go get our jerseys stiched after Dauphin's Countryfest. Hers with Bogosian and my blue jersey with Pavelec.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Inflict
Viking

I don't think anyone would disagree that Pavelec has yet to reach his potential, so committing long term to a deal just under 4 Mil seems like a fair deal to me. Remember, we didn't sign Bogosian for a 2 year 2.5 Mil based on his performance either.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

I'm happy he signed on, cause now my jersey is good for 5 more years.

I think Pavelec is very close to breaking out, and that we're getting him cheap. Theres something about him while watching him. That he's just getting started and finding his form. If the Jets give him the tools to do so, I firmly believe he'll succeed and quiet the naysayers. But even if he continues to play at the level he's currently at, he's not getting overpaid by all that much.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:20 AM
bluefan

vCash: 159
Now I'm relieved.

Take those odd balls games like the 9-8 Philly, 7-1 Detroit, 8-4 Pittsburgh, 8-5 Pittsburgh, 7-3 Montreal etc.... and replace it with more 3s and couple 4s and his numbers look pretty damn good.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:10 AM
TroubaFan1

I love this deal! Couldnt be happier with Chevy right now!

Old
06-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I'm happy he signed on, cause now my jersey is good for 5 more years.

I think Pavelec is very close to breaking out, and that we're getting him cheap. Theres something about him while watching him. That he's just getting started and finding his form. If the Jets give him the tools to do so, I firmly believe he'll succeed and quiet the naysayers. But even if he continues to play at the level he's currently at, he's not getting overpaid by all that much.
This is what is cheesing me off about other forums/threads I've read, it's that the Jets overpaid or it's a laughable contract or whatever. God, you'd think we gave him a Luongo contract or we're left with little cap space. Maybe management is dumb and there's tons of cheap, really awesome FA's out there that will magically appear. Ha, he's making more than Quick! LOL! (Sure, he'll still continue to make that money in perpetuity and won't suddenly skyrocket up in price, right?) No one thinks about the players that he's had trying to defend in front of the net or how many shots he's faced or how he's even been hung out to dry by Noel a few times. He's really not that bad and the stats, while they don't necessarily lie, don't tell the whole story either.

People with Pav jerseys, continue to wear them with pride. F the haters.

Old
06-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Captain Willard

Just put me down as 'thumbs way up' for this signing, I realize there are lotsa hockey nerds that are all about the numbers, fact is after watching nearly every game last season there is no doubt in my mind that he is worth the money and a cornerstone of this team. I was worried that this was a team that was going to be a penny pinching organization and they have shown that's not necessarily the case. A good deal for the Jets.

Closed Thread