vCash: 50
Woooo Glad to hear Pavs resigned!

Old
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Good Point Grind. So this is a 3rd thing I think the writers missed.

1) Standardize all the contracts to a % of cap
2) Analysis of which contracts were only for RFA years and which accounted for UFA years as well
3) What stage were each of the goalies at when they signed their deals? It's great to look at them now, but what were their stats to date at the time of signing their contracts?
I think a 4th item would be leverage - either for the player or team.

With Quick, he was coming off his ELC having had a 'pavy' type season, but knew he would be competing with Bernier to be the #1 guy. And with Bernier a former 1st rd pick, who had a brief stint (somewhat spectacular) with LA then, he may have 'tempered his contract demands' somewhat.

Don't think you will see that this time with Quick. He's a pending UFA when his contract expires - a stanley cup, conn smythe winner - he'll be breaking the bank with his new contract, and rightly so.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I think a 4th item would be leverage - either for the player or team.

With Quick, he was coming off his ELC having had a 'pavy' type season, but knew he would be competing with Bernier to be the #1 guy. And with Bernier a former 1st rd pick, who had a brief stint (somewhat spectacular) with LA then, he may have 'tempered his contract demands' somewhat.

Don't think you will see that this time with Quick. He's a pending UFA when his contract expires - a stanley cup, conn smythe winner - he'll be breaking the bank with his new contract, and rightly so.
A couple thoughts:

Seeing how I am part of "they" I may have some insight. I didn't write the piece on Pavi's contract, but I agree with Dan (I think he is the real "they") that the contract is a risky one. Thus far Pavi is largely unproven and I don't say solely based on numbers, it is also what I saw.

I personally saw a number of games where Pav looked shaky. There were a number of games that I considered write offs 3 minutes in. I knew the Jets were gonna loose because Pav looked like he was fighting the puck. I recognize every goalie will have bad nights, but Pav had a few more that I would like.

I also saw a goalie that struggles with breakaways and struggles with his glove. I know Pav made a ton of highlight reel saves, but I also though he did a lot of it to himself. I believe Pav has a tendency to overplay the initial shot and had poor rebound control. When you put that all together the results (stats) are underwhelming.

Again, I love Pav. He has the ability to steal games, and he is surely one of the most physically gifted goalies in the league, but he has some major work to do. Sometimes he simply relies too heavily on his athleticism and lets his positioning slide. Consistency and positioning will come with age and will come with coaching.

Nobody want's Pav to fail and I definitely want Pav to remain a Jet, but I don't understand why highlighting the risk of the deal is a bad thing. If Pav fixes the holes in his game and gets over the conditioning issues that have plagued him throughout his career he will be a beast. If he doesn't he will be a very expensive back up who watches Pasquale play. Nobody wants him to fail though.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Pavelec was on XM this morning:

http://www.xmhomeice.com/onair_audio...%20Pavelec.mp3

Old
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
A couple thoughts:

Seeing how I am part of "they" I may have some insight. I didn't write the piece on Pavi's contract, but I agree with Dan (I think he is the real "they") that the contract is a risky one. Thus far Pavi is largely unproven and I don't say solely based on numbers, it is also what I saw.

I personally saw a number of games where Pav looked shaky. There were a number of games that I considered write offs 3 minutes in. I knew the Jets were gonna loose because Pav looked like he was fighting the puck. I recognize every goalie will have bad nights, but Pav had a few more that I would like.

I also saw a goalie that struggles with breakaways and struggles with his glove. I know Pav made a ton of highlight reel saves, but I also though he did a lot of it to himself. I believe Pav has a tendency to overplay the initial shot and had poor rebound control. When you put that all together the results (stats) are underwhelming.

Again, I love Pav. He has the ability to steal games, and he is surely one of the most physically gifted goalies in the league, but he has some major work to do. Sometimes he simply relies too heavily on his athleticism and lets his positioning slide. Consistency and positioning will come with age and will come with coaching.

Nobody want's Pav to fail and I definitely want Pav to remain a Jet, but I don't understand why highlighting the risk of the deal is a bad thing. If Pav fixes the holes in his game and gets over the conditioning issues that have plagued him throughout his career he will be a beast. If he doesn't he will be a very expensive back up who watches Pasquale play. Nobody wants him to fail though.
First off, welcome aboard.

All valid points, I don't really disagree with any of them. His deal certainly is very large relative to what he has accomplished to date, and he is going to need to improve on certain aspects of his game in order to be worth it.

I guess where my opinion differs is that yes, there is obviously some risk with this contract, but I feel what that risk amounts to is ultimately not much. I consider the chance of him being an expensive backup watching Pasquale to be about on par with the chance of him becoming Dipietro-esque damaged goods. Could it happen? Sure, but I don't consider it a major likelihood. I think the most likely worst-case scenario is that he plateaus, in which case the Jets will be overpaying by about S1M per for a functional starter. Not ideal, but not crippling in the grand scheme of things.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Huffer

Quote:
A couple thoughts:

My source of contention with the article is not that someone thinks that it's a risky contract. Every contract over a few years is a risk, and this is no different.

My disappointment with the article, is that I find the analysis to get to their conclusion flawed and incomplete for the 4 reasons that have been identified so far.

When I read that article it reads like someone already had their opinion of the contract (bad, risky) already set in their mind, and they found the easiest way to "prove it".

But IMO the analysis isn't valid for the reasons previously mentioned in the thread, so it just looks like an apples and oranges comparison to me. Which is why IMO, the article seems extremely biased.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
My source of contention with the article is not that someone thinks that it's a risky contract. Every contract over a few years is a risk, and this is no different.

My disappointment with the article, is that I find the analysis to get to their conclusion flawed and incomplete for the 4 reasons that have been identified so far.

When I read that article it reads like someone already had their opinion of the contract (bad, risky) already set in their mind, and they found the easiest way to "prove it".

But IMO the analysis isn't valid for the reasons previously mentioned in the thread, so it just looks like an apples and oranges comparison to me. Which is why IMO, the article seems extremely biased.
Those are fair counterpoints. I can't speak to Dan's mindset when he wrote it, but believe it was a piece designed to battle the "give Pav what ever he wants" crowd. I am not sure if it was meant to be complete all encompassing write up. I am sure he would be more than glad to clear it up if you asked. Mostly I just wanted to get my point of view out there because i don't know if "they" really sums me / him / anybody else up.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:09 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
After the first few games of the season, I was very pessimistic about the Jets' playoff chances. They didn't seem to have the lineup necessary to win enough games. I expected them to be totally out of the playoff race by the end of February. We ended up being officially eliminated on April 1st. Pavelic kept us in games we shouldn't have been in. I remember one stretch where the Jets scored 1 goal in regulation time, 3 games in a row. We actually won 2 of those games.

The best avenue for improving Pavelic's stats is to put better defensemen in front of him. Byfuglien and Jones don't cut it. Postma and Kulda come to mind, along with resigning Flood. Heck, even Meech would've been an improvement as the 7th D last year. Another item is to have a better backup, allowing him more time off. I hope we sign Gustavsson and he can play 30 games. Mason is an OK career backup goalie, but I would much rather have Gustavsson fill in if Pavelic suffers an injury that keeps him out of action for a month or so.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Those are fair counterpoints. I can't speak to Dan's mindset when he wrote it, but believe it was a piece designed to battle the "give Pav what ever he wants" crowd.
That is not at all how it came across to me. IMO it conversely read exactly like a claim that the Jets paid too much, which is silly because it is not as if fanboy bloggers get any say in how a professional hockey team chooses to dole out its resources. The Jets obviously viewed it as a justifiable expense because they paid it, and that is all that matters. Whether or not it is proven a gamble is yet to be determined.

If the Jets had taken a pass and traded him, the same blogger probably would have then claimed the Jets were cheap.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
That is not at all how it came across to me. IMO it conversely read exactly like a claim that the Jets paid too much, which is silly because it is not as if fanboy bloggers get any say in how a professional hockey team chooses to dole out its resources. The Jets obviously viewed it as a justifiable expense because they paid it, and that is all that matters. Whether or not it is proven a gamble is yet to be determined.

If the Jets had taken a pass and traded him, the same blogger probably would have then claimed the Jets were cheap.
I think the article was written before pavs signed, was it not?

either way, i've found a lot of good stats analyses on AIH and have loved the player reports.

It's just some of the comparatives and oversights made (as mentioned by Huff) i thought really damaged this article in particular.

Would i have cared if i was in agreement with what the argument stated? Probably not, and i'll admit that, but i really would like to see what these players stats were when they signed these contracts, as that's really what were talking about here.

That was my big issue, he was backing an argument up with close but not "entirely" related information.

The proper thing to be comparing would have been all of those players numbers up until the point of signing those contracts.

I put more faith in stats then i do in observation, but i put considerably less faith in misconstrued stats.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

AIH has a prevailing view about not overpaying for goaltending. It's backed up pretty well by their stats. Even if it is overly critical, well, it's nice to have the counterpoint to the cheerleading Winnipeg sports media...the honeymoon's over, Jets. Let's start winning some Cups already!

Old
06-27-2012, 05:02 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
AIH has a prevailing view about not overpaying for goaltending. It's backed up pretty well by their stats. Even if it is overly critical, well, it's nice to have the counterpoint to the cheerleading Winnipeg sports media...the honeymoon's over, Jets. Let's start winning some Cups already!
Lol I won't go as far as to say the honeymoon is over for me.........They still have me at hello for the next five years

As for the AIH article. I have no issues with it what so ever. It was an interesting read and that is fine by me. So what if it was skewed, it was nice to read an article with no fluff attached.

Regardless I am happy we signed Pavs and for what Widemen just signed for I think we are going to see some contracts which will eclipse 3.9

Old
06-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
They've a clear editorial bent toward that the Jets paid too much.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Ken Wiebe pulls out his pom poms to celebrate the signing. The attached poll results show that 72% of Winnipegers think Pav is a top 10 goaltender. I really don't understand that.

Jonathan Willis takes a more analytical approach.
Yada, yada, yada.

They are certainly entitled to their opinion and to express it. In reality though they are simply fanboy bloggers relying upon their own interpretation of the stats. Yet the people who are paid to allocate real dollars though found the contract a justifiable expense, so I'm choosing to weigh in on the side of the professionals versus the online critics, cheer-leading journalists notwithstanding.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
After the first few games of the season, I was very pessimistic about the Jets' playoff chances. They didn't seem to have the lineup necessary to win enough games. I expected them to be totally out of the playoff race by the end of February. We ended up being officially eliminated on April 1st. Pavelic kept us in games we shouldn't have been in. I remember one stretch where the Jets scored 1 goal in regulation time, 3 games in a row. We actually won 2 of those games.

The best avenue for improving Pavelic's stats is to put better defensemen in front of him. Byfuglien and Jones don't cut it. Postma and Kulda come to mind, along with resigning Flood. Heck, even Meech would've been an improvement as the 7th D last year. Another item is to have a better backup, allowing him more time off. I hope we sign Gustavsson and he can play 30 games. Mason is an OK career backup goalie, but I would much rather have Gustavsson fill in if Pavelic suffers an injury that keeps him out of action for a month or so.
Pavelic has the ability to steal games. Whenever a team has a goalie like that....then the playoffs are always a good possibility.
With so much parity in the league these days (8th in the west wins the cup?!) all you have to do is make the playoffs, get on a hot streak, and get good goaltending and you have a pretty dark good shot at winning the cup

Old
06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
jigglysquishy

$3.9m a year for our best player is an absolute bargain.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

Here are my thoughts on whether the deal with Pavs was too rich:

Don't care.

If I thought I might get a couple of dollars off my ticket price (if I could get one) with a cheaper deal I might care.

I think Pavs is a key component to building a winner. Glad to see him on board for five years.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cadle View Post
Here are my thoughts on whether the deal with Pavs was too rich:

Don't care.

If I thought I might get a couple of dollars off my ticket price (if I could get one) with a cheaper deal I might care.

I think Pavs is a key component to building a winner. Glad to see him on board for five years.
Exactly. I'm sick of the popular practice of dissecting every contract in the pointless quest to immediately identify a 'winner'. I've done plenty of thinking about this subject and I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never understand it.

Fans don't pay salaries. I don't understand why people care so strongly about how much a player gets paid unless the impact on the salary cap hinders the team's ability to make other improvements. That will never be the case for the Jets as we won't be pressed up against the cap - at least not in the foreseeable future.

I guess in some cases people just make predictions and their pride is hurt when they end up being wrong. Then they go to work to justify their original prediction and try to make others believe they would have done a better job than NHL executives with years and years of experience.

Whatever.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Exactly. I'm sick of the popular practice of dissecting every contract in the pointless quest to immediately identify a 'winner'. I've done plenty of thinking about this subject and I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never understand it.

Fans don't pay salaries. I don't understand why people care so strongly about how much a player gets paid unless the impact on the salary cap hinders the team's ability to make other improvements. That will never be the case for the Jets as we won't be pressed up against the cap - at least not in the foreseeable future.

I guess in some cases people just make predictions and their pride is hurt when they end up being wrong. Then they go to work to justify their original prediction and try to make others believe they would have done a better job than NHL executives with years and years of experience.

Whatever.
Every single team in the league is working closely within the confines of the "cap". Whether this is the league cap or the "team" cap (ie maximum salary said team will spend), all teams need to worry about this. The Jets need to be dollars conscience, we will not be spending big money right now, and a move like this (overpaying by ~2 million, IMO) can hurt the chances or improving the team elsewhere.

Not to mention that 5 years is a LONG, LONG time. ONE single lonely player remains from the 06-07 Thrashers (Jim Slater). That is a long time to lock into a 15-25 starter that has shown but flashes of being anything more. A lot can change in that time, and Pavelec does not step into the next level soon, he may never. Then we are overpaying for a goalie for 5 years, potentially handicapping us at least somewhat for 5 years.

This may not be the most likely of scenarios, but it is possible and I think that the term and money was too much from the comparables out there. He should have got 2years, 2 million per, IMO and proven he is an elite starter before getting this money, IMO. It's not a terrible contract, but I hate paying for potential and I hate long terms for non-proven players. Maybe we end up with a steal by years 4/5, but short term it is not good and long term it only MIGHT be good, so I don't like it.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

I don't think he was arguing that the Jets paid too much because he wrote it before they resigned Pav.

Quote:
They've a clear editorial bent toward that the Jets paid too much.

Yada, yada, yada.

They are certainly entitled to their opinion and to express it. In reality though they are simply fanboy bloggers relying upon their own interpretation of the stats. Yet the people who are paid to allocate real dollars though found the contract a justifiable expense, so I'm choosing to weigh in on the side of the professionals versus the online critics, cheer-leading journalists notwithstanding.
I wrote that tid bit and I wrote what I thought, with a hint of sarcasm... there was no editorial bent towards anything. It was just me having fun with the situation. As for trusting the pros, that is a fair stance... but they mess up too.

I really hope they didn't in this case.

Last edited by truck: 06-28-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: ..added more stuff.
Old
06-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Every single team in the league is working closely within the confines of the "cap". Whether this is the league cap or the "team" cap (ie maximum salary said team will spend), all teams need to worry about this. The Jets need to be dollars conscience, we will not be spending big money right now, and a move like this (overpaying by ~2 million, IMO) can hurt the chances or improving the team elsewhere.

Not to mention that 5 years is a LONG, LONG time. ONE single lonely player remains from the 06-07 Thrashers (Jim Slater). That is a long time to lock into a 15-25 starter that has shown but flashes of being anything more. A lot can change in that time, and Pavelec does not step into the next level soon, he may never. Then we are overpaying for a goalie for 5 years, potentially handicapping us at least somewhat for 5 years.

This may not be the most likely of scenarios, but it is possible and I think that the term and money was too much from the comparables out there. He should have got 2years, 2 million per, IMO and proven he is an elite starter before getting this money, IMO. It's not a terrible contract, but I hate paying for potential and I hate long terms for non-proven players. Maybe we end up with a steal by years 4/5, but short term it is not good and long term it only MIGHT be good, so I don't like it.
I think it was a tough situation for the Jets. Pavelec is popular with the fans and the clear #1 goalie with no real options to replace him. He's an RFA, but can go to the KHL where he has an offer on the table. Play hardball and he walks and starting in goal is...the Monster? Backed up by Mason? There are no real UFA options. Play nice and he's happy and the fans are (mostly) happy. He's now the 16th highest-paid goalie (and Price, Schnieder, Brodeur and Rask aren't signed yet). Doesn't seem too outrageous...

Old
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:

Whatever.
Right, so we should just stop discussing it.

SHUT DOWN HF BOARDS, WE DON'T NEED IT ANYMORE!!!

06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Right, so we should just stop discussing it.

SHUT DOWN HF BOARDS, WE DON'T NEED IT ANYMORE!!!

Do you disagree that there are a lot more fun, interesting and significant topics to discuss? I don't care that you concern yourself with contract terms. And I don't ask that you care about my opinion.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:14 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Do you disagree that there are a lot more fun, interesting and significant topics to discuss? I don't care that you concern yourself with contract terms. And I don't ask that you care about my opinion.
Personally, I find contract talk every bit as interesting as talking about unrealistic UFA signings and purely speculative trade possibilities. Some people love that stuff. To each their own I suppose.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:32 PM
blueandgoldguy

Based on some of the comparables, like Halak, Pavs is slightly overpaid and the contract is two years too long. IMO, a 3 year, 10 million contract would have been appropriate. As has been stated numerous times in this thread, we are paying for potential with this contract.

Can Pavs take his game to the next level (.920 SP, 2.4-2.5 GAA)? While both those hypothetical stats may be attributed to the future defense in front of him, a larger portion will be attributed to greater consistency on his part.

If he can reach those numbers and become a top - ten goalie it will be a good contract for the Jets. If he fails to improve on his 2011-2012 season over the next couple years it will be a bad contract plain and simple.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:35 PM
broinwhyteridge

Pav needs to tie his catching hand to the crossbar... waay too obvious that the book across the league has that as his weak spot after watching all those shootout losses last season.

Closed Thread