HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary-Ottawa

Old
06-27-2012, 02:00 PM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
There's no real need for Giordano in Ottawa next season with Karlsson & Gonchar to handle top PP unit duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Ottawa blew it up? They traded Alfie and Spezza? In what way did you blow it up? I mean congratulations for picking Karlsson up at 15th overall (which is in that 7-12 range you are talking about), but Ottawa at no point has taken a scorched earth sell all your assets blow it up plan.
- Murray gutted the 2nd and 3rd lines (Fisher, Kovalev, Kelly, Ruutu), while replacing the holes with young players from within.
- He drafted 3 times in the 1st round last draft.

Those are the primary sources of evidence that Ottawa is rebuilding, whether they are convincing or not.

Quote:
Actually you were forced into a blowup because Heatley demanded a trade and you got awful value for him.
Michalek is 4 years younger than Heatley, makes half as much money, works twice as hard defensively and has 53 goals over the past 2 seasons to Heatley's 50.

Quote:
You also spent to near the cap every year. In fact, they tried to stay competitive every year. If anything you're the model for doing the exact opposite.

Also, look at you know? You finished 8th last year.
Ottawa had amongst the worst goaltending in the league 4 years straight. October 2007 & January 2010 may obscure how bad it was, but Gerber, Auld and Elliott didn't provide anywhere near the performance that Anderson did this season.

07-08: 19th sha ... 24th ga/g
08-09: 6th sha/g ... 15th ga/g
09-10: 4th sha/g ... 18th ga/g
10-11: 20th sha/g ... 24th ga/g

Oh, and keep in mind that the first 15 games (2007 - Gerber) and last 18 games (2011 - Anderson) of this stretch were ~ .940 SV%'s. For the 3 1/2 years in between, our goaltending was atrocious.

11-12: 29th sha/g ... 24th ga/g

This season was the first time it's had a positive impact on our game in a long time.

Your goaltender is one of your best players and he's 35yo. You're likely going to take a huge hit there when he leaves/fades away.

Also, Spezza is 6 years younger than either of Iginla or Kipper and Karlsson was already on his way to a 45 point year last season when many of these decisions were made.

Calgary would be attempting to retool around a 34yo, 35yo and two non-impact D-men... after years of trading more high picks than Ottawa and developing less talent out of those high picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Phillips was supposed to be a beast on the blueline and potential Norris guy when he was drafted. Who would have thought he would have developed into a middling 4-6 defender?
Chris Phillips was a #3 shutdown D-man every year for a decade... on a 100+ pt a season contender. He's also worn an 'A' for a number of years now.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Re-read what I said.

Those guys are NOT blue chip prospects, face it.
Not yet, outside of Bartschi, who is clearly one of the best prospects not in the NHL.

But you have to look at where we drafted (what picks, and how many) and what we got in order to judge the flames "killer" draft on its own merit. Not compare it to organizations in full rebuild.

If you do not believe (at this time) how much players like Brossiot, Gardreau, Bartschi, and Granlund have exceeded expectations then you are lost in the context of this conversation.

I could care less about my teams prospect pool compared to your's, I'm not hear for a pissing match. What I care about is that my team is headed in a better direction since Feaster and Co. have taken over.

As to the OP:

Clearly this OTT poster has nothing useful to add, so I would say that it is not good enough value for Gio. If a 1st was added, then it would be solid value. Not that a deal like this makes sense for either team with the position each is in. Looking forward to watching the Sens next year, they should only get better and Karlsson will be unreal as the defensive core continues to grow. Spezza really has turned into that great all around player everyone wanted to see, I'm glad Murray kept him.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:14 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
And how many first round draft picks did you have at the 2010 draft? Your first pick was 76th overall.
Ottawa's 16th overall pick in 2010 was traded for St.Louis 17th overall pick in 2009. Because Ottawa wasn't going to draft a Russian in Tarasenko after the last GM probably got fired because the team invested heavily in Russians with little to show for it. St.Louis trade a RD prospect when they had EJ & Petro already in the organization.

Rundblad was then traded for 22yo Turris.

None of these moves go against a rebuild.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
BK201

Why you guys fighting so much. Obviously Ottawa fans dont want to trade Silfverberg or Zibanejad.

It's not that Calgary has the worst prospect pool it's that they don't have extremely high end talent in thier pool or at least it's not deep in the regard, That doesn't mean they don't have players that'll be NHL players, and they are trying to fix their draft strategies.

Whether you like what they're doing (Jankowski) is up for debate for a long time time now but IMO are getting the right idea.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Why you guys fighting so much. Obviously Ottawa fans dont want to trade Silfverberg or Zibanejad.

It's not that Calgary has the worst prospect pool it's that they don't have extremely high end talent in thier pool or at least it's not deep in the regard, That doesn't mean they don't have players that'll be NHL players, and they are trying to fix their draft strategies.

Whether you like what they're doing (Jankowski) is up for debate for a long time time now but IMO are getting the right idea.
I'll agree here.

I do have stuff to say. They lack certain bluechip prospects and this Wideman signing is simply evident of how terrible Feaster is.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
I'll agree here.

I do have stuff to say. They lack certain bluechip prospects and this Wideman signing is simply evident of how terrible Feaster is.
Besides the Wideman signing, (which you have yet to see in Calgary so no real judgement can be made yet), what has Feaster done as a GM that has turned into a complete trainwreck yet? Signing or trade?

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

It's more so what he has not done, than what he has done.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Like what? rebuild after ownership has told him he cant?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Like what? rebuild after ownership has told him he cant?
I don't know what ownership has told him or has not told him, but yes. The worst has yet to come, I imagine Feaster is hoping that once Iginla and Kipper fall off a cliff he'll get fired and not have to deal with it. Going for it, would be an option, but not by handing out 5 year deals when you need them for two.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
DropIt

Quote:
I don't know what ownership has told him or has not told him, but yes. The worst has yet to come, I imagine Feaster is hoping that once Iginla and Kipper fall off a cliff he'll get fired and not have to deal with it. Going for it, would be an option, but not by handing out 5 year deals when you need them for two.
You seem to be dancing around the question I asked.

Management told Feaster that they dont want him to rebuild and trade away their biggest marketer in Iginla. He is not able to rebuild.

What moves has he made aside from an unproven experiment in Wideman. In his 1.5 years in Calgary, which one has been a total failure

Old
06-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
You seem to be dancing around the question I asked.

Management told Feaster that they dont want him to rebuild and trade away their biggest marketer in Iginla. He is not able to rebuild.

What moves has he made aside from an unproven experiment in Wideman. In his 1.5 years in Calgary, which one has been a total failure
My reply to that would be why should I give a **** about Feaster? If it's ownership that is trying their hardest to cripple this team then it's them I would tend to be upset with. The Flames chances of winning the cup any time in the next half a decade is what suffers, does it matter who is the one doing it? Feaster is the face and hands, not doing what really should be done naturally tends to be attributed to him.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
DropIt

Quote:
My reply to that would be why should I give a **** about Feaster? If it's ownership that is trying their hardest to cripple this team then it's them I would tend to be upset with. The Flames chances of winning the cup any time in the next half a decade is what suffers, does it matter who is the one doing it? Feaster is the face and hands, not doing what really should be done naturally tends to be attributed to him.
You should give a **** about Feaster, because you replyed to a question I asked specifically about Jay Feaster, not management, so next time consider that before answering.
So, in turn you have proven my point in that you really cant come up with anything negative that Jay Feaster has done in a negative way to the team since he has been in power proving that Senators fans really dont know **** about what happens west of their own province in terms of hockey

Old
06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Rumcajs

Two studs for one above average defensemen and two meh prospects.

No thanks. Maybe if Feaster was our GM we would have done it

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
lol, what a champ.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

This thread is still open?

"Here's my offer."

"Yeah, forget you."

"Yeah, well we don't want your guys anyway."

"Yeah, well we don't want your guys more than you don't want our guys."