HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fayne out with wrist surgery for 3-4 months

Old
06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

vCash: 500
It's the worst on twitter by a mile. There are some that tweet about him multiple times a game.

"The forwards can clear the puck and a shot from the point finds its way in? WTF FAYNE?!?! GET OFF MY TEAM!!!"

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
CerebralGenesis

Fayne and Greene did a great job shutting down the other teams top units. Good 3rd pairing. Except we have Volch too

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Fayne-Greene is better than a third pairing. They just played a huge role on a championship runner-up.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Purrise View Post
Yeah I'm shocked that he gets so much **** from fans. It's not really on this site but on FB and Twitter he is the most hated Devil, I'm pretty sure. The man is a rock back there so idk if I'm watching a different game than these morons.
Because most average joe fans don't know defense. They don't know that it's not about big hits and a hard shot from the back end. I love watching defenseman who are sound positionally, who make a good poke check, can hold in the puck with a good pinch in the offensive zone. Fayne does all these things extraordinarily well. He does it like a 10 year vet, not someone who's just finished his second year.

Many Devils fans just won't appreciate that kind of play. It is what it is. But I'm sure Lou does, so those fans are going to be complaining for awhile because he's not going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Fayne and Greene did a great job shutting down the other teams top units. Good 3rd pairing. Except we have Volch too
Yes, they're a 3rd pairing that does a superb job shutting down opposing top lines...Uhhh. Makes sense. They're an excellent 2nd pairing in overall makeup. You won't find one much better.

And what does Volchenkov have to do with this?

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
FrankieDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagPariseee View Post
explains the shank of a shot in game 1
That puck was bouncing, broken wrist or not, Anyone would've missed that.

FrankieDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Because most average joe fans don't know defense. They don't know that it's not about big hits and a hard shot from the back end. I love watching defenseman who are sound positionally, who make a good poke check, can hold in the puck with a good pinch in the offensive zone. Fayne does all these things extraordinarily well. He does it like a 10 year vet, not someone who's just finished his second year.

Many Devils fans just won't appreciate that kind of play. It is what it is. But I'm sure Lou does, so those fans are going to be complaining for awhile because he's not going anywhere.

Yes, they're a 3rd pairing that does a superb job shutting down opposing top lines...Uhhh. Makes sense. They're an excellent 2nd pairing in overall makeup. You won't find one much better.

And what does Volchenkov have to do with this?
Eh I just list 3rd pairing as the shutdown unit. Doesn't mean minutes or anything. Kind of like how I still call a 3rd line a checking line even if it's not. Sorry I didn't use your terminology.

I also see them being a great 3rd pairing down the line if our magical PMDs pan out.

And I envisioned Volch filling in that shotblocking defensive stalwart role over Greene. Having a few isn't an issue though, especially with Salvador likely peacing out.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:

This makes me sad. Who should be able to recognize and appreciate that kind of play if not Devils fans? Sharks fans? Le sigh.

And I know it`s only because the new young wave of fans doesn`t remember the old days and doesn`t have a feel for what Lou is doing...

It basically means their parents or whoever brought them into the world of hockey did a piss poor job at it.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:18 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Eh I just list 3rd pairing as the shutdown unit. Doesn't mean minutes or anything. Kind of like how I still call a 3rd line a checking line even if it's not. Sorry I didn't use your terminology.

I also see them being a great 3rd pairing down the line if our magical PMDs pan out.

And I envisioned Volch filling in that shotblocking defensive stalwart role over Greene. Having a few isn't an issue though, especially with Salvador likely peacing out.
You're going to have to explain to me how a 3rd pairing is a shutdown unit because it makes no sense to me.

Pairings are organized by minutes played by most people's terminology.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I don't want to open a can of worms here but when I suggested that Volchenkov was a 3rd pairing guy because of the minutes he was given, I had the exact opposite reaction from yourself and a bunch of people, telling me that his minutes weren't all that high but he played in key situations, making him a top #4 d-men.

The point you are trying to make, and I do agree with it btw, can't go both ways.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:55 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I don't want to open a can of worms here but when I suggested that Volchenkov was a 3rd pairing guy because of the minutes he was given, I had the exact opposite reaction from yourself and a bunch of people, telling me that his minutes weren't all that high but he played in key situations, making him a top #4 d-men.

The point you are trying to make, and I do agree with it btw, can't go both ways.
He is a top 4 defenseman. The whole D is top 4 defensemen. That means there are going to be some guys who play on the 3rd pairing. Volchenkov is one of them.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
He is a top 4 defenseman. The whole D is top 4 defensemen. That means there are going to be some guys who play on the 3rd pairing. Volchenkov is one of them.
Well done sire.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
That`s unheard of.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
This makes me sad. Who should be able to recognize and appreciate that kind of play if not Devils fans? Sharks fans? Le sigh.
It makes me sad too. I used to pride myself that if nothing else, Devils fans always recognise good defence when they see it, through long training. Turns out I was wrong, we have the same idiots too.

Quote:
I agree. We essentially had three middle pairings this season, and it worked pretty well for us.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Right. Just because you're the #5 defenseman on the Devils doesn't mean you're not a top-four defenseman on average across the league.

Only so many minutes to go around, and some players are better than others in certain situations.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Semak

vCash:
Quote:

And I know it`s only because the new young wave of fans doesn`t remember the old days and doesn`t have a feel for what Lou is doing...

It basically means their parents or whoever brought them into the world of hockey did a piss poor job at it.
Wait, stop, just stop, this has gone on long enough. This whole "I'm super hockey sage" attitude of yours just needs to stop.

How old are you? New wave of fans? Remember the old days? You remember the NJ old days?

No matter how a fan got in to the sport, be it interest, love of the game, passed down from parents to children, etc. your generalization is egregious and asinine.

So some casual or average fans don't understand the importance of having a Dman like Fayne on the back line. Big deal, doesn't give you the right to spew out nonsense. Every fan base has these fans, nothing new.

Personally speaking, I'm getting tired of your air of superiority when it comes to hockey knowledge and your constant knocking of people's posts. You were insufferable before and during the draft, cause heaven forbid if anyone knew more than you on any prospect or where a player was going to be picked.

You need to take it down notch.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
You're going to have to explain to me how a 3rd pairing is a shutdown unit because it makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Right. Just because you're the #5 defenseman on the Devils doesn't mean you're not a top-four defenseman on average across the league.

Only so many minutes to go around, and some players are better than others in certain situations.
If Fayne lead our team in minutes then you would be correct. So based on most people's terminology we have 3 middle pairing dmen or we don't have a true top pairing d pair?

Having defensive dmen on the 3rd pairing is confusing? I'm not sure where to begin with that one, because Greene and Fayne are extremely offensively limited.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Greene and Fayne are both TWD

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
Wait, stop, just stop, this has gone on long enough. This whole "I'm super hockey sage" attitude of yours just needs to stop.

How old are you? New wave of fans? Remember the old days? You remember the NJ old days?

No matter how a fan got in to the sport, be it interest, love of the game, passed down from parents to children, etc. your generalization is egregious and asinine.

So some casual or average fans don't understand the importance of having a Dman like Fayne on the back line. Big deal, doesn't give you the right to spew out nonsense. Every fan base has these fans, nothing new.

Personally speaking, I'm getting tired of your air of superiority when it comes to hockey knowledge and your constant knocking of people's posts. You were insufferable before and during the draft, cause heaven forbid if anyone knew more than you on any prospect or where a player was going to be picked.

You need to take it down notch.
Old enough to remember what this team used to be all about.

I didn`t want to generalize, but you kind of have to. It`s the only way to explain the comlete lack of understanding or ignorance some fans are continuously showing. I don`t like to judge a group of people as a whole, trust me. I just don`t see any other option. And I can`t disagree with anything you said in this paragraph. The interest itself is the most important thing and I`m glad for every fan no matter how much he knows about the game and how he started.

Some of them don`t follow the sport as much as the others. Does that make thier stupid comments about Dmen like Fayne less stupid? Is it a big deal? No, and I`m not making it out to be. In fact, you`re making a big deal out of my comment which is completely unexpected. Maybe not.

And I`m getting tired of them. If you took notice, you`d realize I never took a shot at anyone who didn`t had it coming and never acted like I`m the only one who knows everything. Never. I dislike certain posters for a reason and I comment on them. Don`t like it? Don`t read it.

And I have literally no idea what are you talking about in regards to the draft. Did I knock down Jason`s or Brodeur`s or... anyone`s post? Did I argue about some prospect`s ranking? What? Honestly, I don`t even care. Seems like my days on here are over. I was stubborn and didn`t want to leave, one of those who opted to stay because I didn`t want to look at this board going down like a rock. Instead, it seems like you enjoy the "anyone can post anything" mentality. Kudos man, I wonder how long it will take until you realize what you did.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Oh and I forgot. Funny how I`m the problem now but you were (correct me if I`m wrong, if that`s the case I sincerely apologize) one of those who said "I miss Trotts". Well, that`s just fantastic that you miss one of the most egocentric characters on this board. One who truly felt like a superior human being. Who, unlike me, didn`t just pick on certain posters who tend to make contradictory statements, but on anyone and everyone. Who, unlike me, was always trying hard to hide his true feelings and was making dozens of posters look silly and when he finally exploaded, got a one way ticket out...

Where were you all those years? Or were people, including you, buying what he was selling? Poisoned candies? That`s great then. Take care.

Whatever, I couldn`t care less. It just shows how people think how much they know about each other reading some message boards and how wrong they are.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

vCash: 263
They're gonna start writing country songs about our threads.

"Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception." - Carl Sagan
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:29 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
alllll my doctors live in texas

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ Are they any good?

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Semak

vCash:
Quote:
Old enough to remember what this team used to be all about.

I didn`t want to generalize, but you kind of have to. It`s the only way to explain the comlete lack of understanding or ignorance some fans are continuously showing. I don`t like to judge a group of people as a whole, trust me. I just don`t see any other option. And I can`t disagree with anything you said in this paragraph. The interest itself is the most important thing and I`m glad for every fan no matter how much he knows about the game and how he started.

Some of them don`t follow the sport as much as the others. Does that make thier stupid comments about Dmen like Fayne less stupid? Is it a big deal? No, and I`m not making it out to be. In fact, you`re making a big deal out of my comment which is completely unexpected. Maybe not.

And I`m getting tired of them. If you took notice, you`d realize I never took a shot at anyone who didn`t had it coming and never acted like I`m the only one who knows everything. Never. I dislike certain posters for a reason and I comment on them. Don`t like it? Don`t read it.

And I have literally no idea what are you talking about in regards to the draft. Did I knock down Jason`s or Brodeur`s or... anyone`s post? Did I argue about some prospect`s ranking? What? Honestly, I don`t even care. Seems like my days on here are over. I was stubborn and didn`t want to leave, one of those who opted to stay because I didn`t want to look at this board going down like a rock. Instead, it seems like you enjoy the "anyone can post anything" mentality. Kudos man, I wonder how long it will take until you realize what you did.
Quote:
Oh and I forgot. Funny how I`m the problem now but you were (correct me if I`m wrong, if that`s the case I sincerely apologize) one of those who said "I miss Trotts". Well, that`s just fantastic that you miss one of the most egocentric characters on this board. One who truly felt like a superior human being. Who, unlike me, didn`t just pick on certain posters who tend to make contradictory statements, but on anyone and everyone. Who, unlike me, was always trying hard to hide his true feelings and was making dozens of posters look silly and when he finally exploaded, got a one way ticket out...

Where were you all those years? Or were people, including you, buying what he was selling? Poisoned candies? That`s great then. Take care.

Whatever, I couldn`t care less. It just shows how people think how much they know about each other reading some message boards and how wrong they are.
Busy work morning, so I'm a bit late, but here you go.

Honestly, I had to read your posts several times because it was a bit incoherent.

Don't know where you were going with your Trottier post, I have no idea what happened to him and I don't recall ever missing him or know the story of his current MIA status.

What I did was call you out for three things. First, for musing about the "old days", when I'm pretty sure you couldn't tell me who Lee Norwood was without looking him up. Don't give me this "old enough to blah". You're full of crap. Tell me, what are these nostalgic "old days" you are referring to? What are these fuzzy memories of the golden age of hockey/New Jersey Devils hockey that you remember, grandpa?

Second,
Quote:
There are so many things wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin. You just don't say that. Again, if ignorant fans want to make ignorant statements, let them. If a casual fan makes an uniformed statement, help them. But attacking how they became fans and how good a hockey fandom pedigree they have is plain dumb. You don't have to default to generalizations because of a lack argument, just let it go.

I'm making a big deal because that was a very, very "piss poor" choice of words by you.

Third, and perhaps this was just my frustration boiling over, but since you answered in kind, I will reply. Conveniently, you mentioned the two posters who one happens to be a scout and the other the one true self-effacing hockey guru around here. But since you want to play innocent, I'll let it go, for now. But be wary and a little self-awareness goes a long way.

So this place is going down like a rock? Where's that Drama Queen.jpeg when I need it. You know what I enjoy? I enjoy talking about hockey and having a little fun. I don't feel the need to give my opinion on every little single thing cause Salmela knows we have plenty of pundits, experts and GMs around these parts, plus, I don't pretend to know every single thing about hockey, so I rather post on the lighter side of things. And there are times when I do over indulge and trust me when I do, Mods let me know about it.

Quote:
Kudos man, I wonder how long it will take until you realize what you did.
What did I do? Expedite your exit and deprive this board of your arrogant hockey knowledge? My apologies to everyone.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Fayne-Greene is better than a third pairing. They just played a huge role on a championship runner-up.
the way i see it your top pairing is composed of your best two-way d-men, your 2nd pairing is your best shutdown guys, and your bottom is generally pp and pk specialists, so that would make them the 2nd pairing.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

I am in agreement that we have three "second" pairings. All of them can play 20+ minutes a night. Most teams don't have that luxury.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote