HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Avalanche Re-Sign Ryan Wilson [3 Years/$2.25 million cap hit]

Old
06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Maybe Mcclement doesn't wanna resign here and probably want to go back to the blues? I'm pretty sure Mueller will be signed before July 1 though he's probably just taking a pay cut
Well we had some kind of insider who debunked that.

You never know but I think he was credible. McClement is leaving over money. The last thing we heard was that he wanted 12 M for 4 years. Than negotiations broke down. So I am assuming there was interest from his side to come back.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Wilson provides a little bit of everything to the bottom pairing, some offence, decent defence and physicality. Hjalmarsson provides good position defence, shot blocking and PK ability and can make a decent 1st pass.
Hjalmarsson is a better defender than Wilson, but not by much. That is because I personally believe Hjalmarsson is very overrated.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Fellow Avs fans: probably best to just ignore wej20 and brokebackbulin and move on, doubtful we're going to make any headway.

Edit: Sorry wej I think I misread the comment above, nevermind.
Nah, wej20 is a solid poster.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
A lot can happen in 3 years, but as of right now I think this is too much money and too long of a term.

The Avs are not leaving a whole lot of room on the NHL roster for the prospects to advance.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Freaky Styley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
A lot can happen in 3 years, but as of right now I think this is too much money and too long of a term.

The Avs are not leaving a whole lot of room on the NHL roster for the prospects to advance.
Nothing wrong with a couple of years in the AHL. Barrie and Elliott have only played there for 1 year and they will see time in the NHL when injuries hit or they play their way there. There will be a spot for Gaunce and IMO i think he will be given the best chance to make it out of camp and he has earned it. Giving prospects time to develop is what made the Wings consistently great.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Wilson was Colorado's best dman last season. He wasn't logging the toughest minutes, but he did have the best results

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Emppu

I love this signing, I hope Wilson improves this season and let us see some of those sweet hits

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Hans Landaskog

They don't call Wilson "sauce" for nothing.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Wilson is seriously underrated

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Bad News Bears
FEED HIM, BODES

vCash: 623
People who are really against this deal should watch him play more. I'm a Leafs fan, but my roommate is an Avs guy, so we watch a ton of Colorado games. Wilson is a machine on most nights. He's got a good poise with the puck, solid defensive positioning and he plays the man. He can put you through the boards, and as his career moves on, he'll start putting the puck in the net much more often. I think he should be at least playing as a 4, maybe even a 3 with a little improvement.

Long winded post, so summary.
Great signing, great player. Good job, Avs.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

I really like Wilson, he's a very effective, yet entertaining player. It's a shame the Flames moved him in the Leo deal, the Flames could really use him to round out their D corps now.

It's shocking how this guy could hardly get a sniff coming out of juniors despite his gaudy numbers, but he's continued to progress very well.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:21 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
When I watch Ryan Wilson I get the same type of feeling that I got when I watched Brooks Orpik in his first year...

Just saying, similar skillsets and play in my opinion, and while I don't believe Wilson will get quite to Orpik's level, I think he can definitely mold into a very similar player

I don't care what anyone says, I believe he is a leadership building block on that blueline

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:41 AM
kingpest19

Quote:

Making prospects earn their spots isn't a bad thing. It's what has made Detroit so successfull the last few decades. I remember when the Avs were doing the same thing and were contending year after year. Competition breeds success.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:52 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
When I watch Ryan Wilson I get the same type of feeling that I got when I watched Brooks Orpik in his first year...

Just saying, similar skillsets and play in my opinion, and while I don't believe Wilson will get quite to Orpik's level, I think he can definitely mold into a very similar player

I don't care what anyone says, I believe he is a leadership building block on that blueline
In terms of Physicality I can see where you're coming from, Orpik's a much better skater though and Wilson has far better offensive skills. Orpik didn't really peak till his late 20s, so if Wilson follows a similar development curve then I think that would be great for Avs fans.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:13 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Making prospects earn their spots isn't a bad thing. It's what has made Detroit so successfull the last few decades. I remember when the Avs were doing the same thing and were contending year after year. Competition breeds success.
Some of these guys, Gaunce, Elliott, and Barrie deserve a chance at an NHL spot. Right now the Avs have multiple years tied up in Wilson and Hunwick, not to mention an ageing Hedja, all of whom will likely play the bottom pairing minutes. I'm not complaining about the competition, but it would be nice if the Avs hadn't put so many years on those contacts so these players aren't lingering around when the new generation is set to take over.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Some of these guys, Gaunce, Elliott, and Barrie deserve a chance at an NHL spot. Right now the Avs have multiple years tied up in Wilson and Hunwick, not to mention an ageing Hedja, all of whom will likely play the bottom pairing minutes. I'm not complaining about the competition, but it would be nice if the Avs hadn't put so many years on those contacts so these players aren't lingering around when the new generation is set to take over.
I personally believe Hunwick is a safety-net, a good ol' nr.7 on the depth chart, as he won't complain being that while collecting $1.6mil.
Last year Elliott just came in when "I can't remember who" got injured and passed Hunwick on the chart.
I doubt Hunwick is in our opening line-up, but it is much better to have him as a nr.7 instead if Barrie/Elliott/Gaunce who need to play to develop.

And on topic, an Okay signing in my book.
Too long, as I would've preferred a 2-year deal at most due to his inconsistency and injury issues.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:10 AM
bp spec

Decent signing, maybe a little bit too much money but I don't care.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Rofl you're the same oilers fan that stated the Avs franchise is in "shambles"

EDIT: nvm you're just a troll ^^^
Wow, are there going to be some great games between the Oilers and Av's in the not to distant future. Throw in Minny in the next couple of years as well. Going to be a division to watch for sure. Lots of sick young talent.

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:24 AM
electricjib

Welcome back Wilson, last night this seemed like an expensive signing. The more I think about it and go back to his early season play i'm more than Ok with the Avs committing to him for longer. Hope they hold onto him for along time. He can fill 2nd or 3rd pairing when he's playing his best. His offense is only going to get better too.

I remember him scoring a couple of goals on breaks, I wish he'd jump up more he really does have a decent shot and ability to read the rush and get a chance.

Another beauty...

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Always liked Wilson. He's a bad man out there at times. I remember a Pens/Avs game when he just beat the crap out of Nick Johnson. I like Johnson too but he was in way over his head in that one.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote