HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings open contract talks with Jonathan Quick

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd go as much as 9 years at $50M (AAV of $5.56M).
Quick and his agent are going to demand, and rightfully so, atleast the same contract value Rinne got. Especially coming off a season where Quick won a cup a Conn Smythe and should have won atleast a Vezina if not a Hart also.

I think when it's all said and done Quick signs for 7 years at around $50-52 million.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Quick and his agent are going to demand, and rightfully so, atleast the same contract value Rinne got. Especially coming off a season where Quick won a cup a Conn Smythe and should have won atleast a Vezina if not a Hart also.

I think when it's all said and done Quick signs for 7 years at around $50-52 million.
If we are going over $7 with the cap hit, I would rather see $36 for 5.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Seeing how they are quickly moving about business in getting Quick's contract done by July 1 (no pun intended), one has to assume that the Kings want to get this contract completed and out of the way in order to fit in another addition to the roster on July 1. Thinking they have plans for making a big push for Parise on day one.

They surprised us all last year when they flew to Toronto to meet with Brad Richards and his agent not long after acquiring Mike Richards. We all assumed they wouldn't pursue Brad Richards after the trade but they shocked many of us when they appeared at the Newport Sports Management offices, and I have a feeling they'll do so again this year.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I actually agree. But Quick's agent knows his value is at an alltime high, better to cash in now, it's very unlikely in six seasons he will be any more valuable than he is today. So I think they will want the extra couple of years with the same yearly value. Especially since that's what Rinne got.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

For those of you who missed Dean Lombardi on NHL Live, here's the video:
http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent...|KV|NHLLive|TW

Old
06-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I'm hoping 6 years for 39 flat. Hopefully Quick takes a little discount

Old
06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

Give him money front loaded as signing bonuses so he gets it even if there is a lockout. Rinne didn't get that. In exchange, have it be for less $$$.

6 years, $37.5 million, front loaded.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Nose of Sutter

He could write a blank check for all I care and I'd be happy.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:17 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Im struggling with 7 mil a year. Goalies arent supposed to make that much. Pecker ruined it for everybody...... Quick or not 7 mill is scary.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:53 PM
SLang

How might a new CBA factor into Quick's decision? Might he be afraid that too long a term could be detrimental, depending on how the new CBA may affect his deal?

If it kept him from signing more than a 5 year deal that might be good for the team.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:55 PM
funky

Very interested to see this one. Goalies scare me, I love Quick but somewhere in the 7 year 45 mil range would be nice.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:06 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak120625.html

According to this article, today wasn't the first discussions they've had with Quick's rep, but rather they "picked up today". Hopefully that's a good sign.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 AM
KingCanadain1976

I've said it in other place i'll say it again here I don't want to sign him for longer then 6 years and for money somewhere in the 6.5 million a season. Like others have said goalie make me nervous as well for long terms. Id like the 5 years because our best goalie prospect gibson should be ready to take over by then if needed. I think the long term signings is something that should be looked at in the new cba. I would like it if no contract can go more then 7 year or something like that.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Goalies make me nervous. But elite goalies don't. Guys like Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick, those are players who I don't think are going to head in a downward direction any time soon. And before we forget, Vancouver inked Luongo after his meltdown against Chicago, so they knew damn well what they were getting into and did it for that length of time anyway.

I think his extension won't be long in coming. The players know what the team means to us, and they want to be here. The team is an extremely tight unit, I haven't heard of any problems that these guys have with each other for years and everyone re-ups, so I'm assuming there are no problems. And lastly, the front office knows what Quick means to the team. They'll come straight out with a fair offer, some tweaking may be needed and there will be a contract.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:54 AM
frankshi

LoLLol

Old
06-26-2012, 08:31 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Honestly, I understand that he's going to be demanded Pekka Rinne money but at the same time, I can see Quick taking a discount to make sure we can keep this core together, he just seems like that kind of dude. Especially if Lombardi tells him we'll be pursuing fellow country-man, Zach Parise. Quick will take a 6/6.5 discount, imo. I might be wrong, but just the hunch I'm getting, maybe like Erik Karlsson money, not so much Pekka Rinne

Old
06-26-2012, 08:47 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Ideally I'd want a 5 year deal. I think you have to be really careful in regards to long term projections about goaltenders. Hopefully Quick is willing to give a bit of a discount too.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I really don't want to see a deal for longer than 6 years and prefer no more than 5 years.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Ollie Weeks

I so don't care as long as he sticks around for a few years.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Does everyone really want a 10+ year contract for a goalie? I'm still nervous for anything over 5 years. Very few goalies continue to dominate the NHL for years at a time and even the best of them sign short term deals. Just look at Bryz and Luongo, both look really bad right now.
The only reason Luongo looks bad is because Schnieder is there and is every bit as good. Luongo is still a very good goalie and worth his cap hit. The only thing I'd change on his contract is the number of years, reduce it even if it brought the cap hit up somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd go as much as 9 years at $50M (AAV of $5.56M). That would lock Quick up until he is 34, which still gives him room to sign another contract at the end of the deal prior to retirement.
Would be nice, but I don't see that happening personally. If you're Quick's agent, you KNOW that you should at the least get a deal similar to what Lundqvist and Rinne are getting. They are the two nominees for the Vezina along with Quick and Lundqvist gets $6.875 million while Rinne gets $7 million per year. So Quick should easily slide in there with them, and they both average that on long-term deals (six and seven years respectively). Let's say middle ground, which would be $6.95 million per season. For six years, that's $41.7 million. I doubt Quick tacks on another three years for about $8 million.

And the numbers I used don't factor in his Conn Smythe win, which likely only would add to his demands if he so wished.

I originally called for Quick to get between $6.3 million and $6.5 million a year before the playoffs. Since then, he's likely worth upwards of $1 million more. The only thing that stops Quick from getting $7+ million a season on a deal of likely seven years is A) DL's negotiating skills, which frankly I'm not to confident on here since Quick holds almost every card in the deck since he can argue he basically made the Kings a cup champion by himself (only reason we made the playoffs is cause of him, then he lands the Conn Smythe) and B) Quick's desire to take a little less to help us keep icing a great team.

$7.1 million per season for 7 years is my prediction since DL seems to love the long-term deals.

Last edited by kingsfan: 06-27-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Would be nice, but I don't see that happening personally. If you're Wuick's agent, you KNOW that you should at the least get a deal similar to what Lundqvist and Rinne are getting. They are the two nominees for the Vezina along with Quick and Lundqvist gets $6.875 million while Rinne gets $7 million per year. So Quick should easily slide in there with them, and they both average that on long-term deals (six and seven years respectively). Let's say middle ground, which would be $695 million per season. For six years, that's $41.7 million. I doubt Quick tacks on another three years for about $8 million.

And the numbers I used don't factor in his Conn Smythe win, which likely only would add to his demands if he so wished.

I originally called for Quick to get between $6.3 million and $6.5 million a year before the playoffs. Since then, he's likely worth upwards of $1 million more. The only thing that stops Quick from getting $7+ million a season on a deal of likely seven years is A) DL's negotiating skills, which frankly I'm not to confident on here since Quick holds almost every card in the deck since he can argue he basically made the Kings a cup champion by himself (only reason we made the playoffs is cause of him, then he lands the Conn Smythe) and B) Quick's desire to take a little less to help us keep icing a great team.

$7.1 million per season for 7 years is my prediction since DL seems to love the long-term deals.
I totally agree. We aren't getting Quick for less than $6.9M, and I expect it to be $7.1M as well. In my mind longer is better since revenues will rise and Quick's fraction of the salary cap goes down as the cap goes up.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

7x7 is entirely reasonable and fine with me. If he signed for under $7MM per I'll consider it a hometown discount.

I believe he's the 4th youngest starting goaltender to win the Stanley Cup in the 4 round format (Roy, Brodeur and Cam Ward being younger)... he's earned every penny of that raise.

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old
06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
7x7 is entirely reasonable and fine with me. If he signed for under $7MM per I'll consider it a hometown discount.

I believe he's the 3rd youngest starting goaltender to win the Stanley Cup in the 4 round format (Roy and Cam Ward being younger)... he's earned every penny of that raise.
You're forgetting the old guy we just defeated in the finals

Old
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
You're forgetting the old guy we just defeated in the finals
I forgot several it seems

Old
06-26-2012, 11:11 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
I was thinking of the same thing. 5 years would be ideal

Closed Thread