HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Current forward group

Old
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
At least Mac had the numbers this year.

Connolly, Tim $4,750,000
Lombardi, Matthew $3,500,000
Armstrong, Colby $3,000,000
Komisarek, Mike $4,500,000
Disgusting: $15,750,000
All players we gave up only cap space for and we've had cap space to make deals by the time February rolls around every year.

3 of the 4 were acquired as UFAs and well UFAs get overpayed especially if your a bad team like the Leafs. Do people except they'd have taken a discount to play on a non-contending team like Toronto and be ridiculed by the media and fans all the time because of it as well as pay higher taxes in Ontario?

They're also all players that have bought the organization time to properly develop prospects.

Connolly, Lombardi and Armstrong only have 1 year remaining on their deals and can still be traded for assets. Heck, Lombardi already brought us an asset in Franson.

Komisarek is the worst of those contracts and I advocated against his signing when it was done but at least Burke was smart to take advantage of the Leafs budget and front load his contract which makes him more tradeable to non-cap teams as well as not make it a full NTC.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Grabo MacA
Kulie Connolly Armstrong
Lombardi Stekel Brown

Unfortunately I can see this being the opening night roster
I would love to hear what's terrible with Bozak. Except for him being the 1st line guy.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
I would love to hear what's terrible with Bozak. Except for him being the 1st line guy.
Yup just don't like him as our 1C

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:37 PM
DaveT83*

So excluding trades - how do Kadri/Frattin make this lineup?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
So excluding trades - how do Kadri/Frattin make this lineup?
Management showed with Gardiner last year, if you play your way onto the team in camp they'll make room for you. Obviously there will be injuries too. I'd really be shocked if at least one of the two of them isn't in the lineup opening night. Frattin should be, and I expect Kadri to have a good camp.

It makes absolutely no sense to keep guys like Lombardi and Armstrong in the lineup and have a better player in Frattin sit out.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
The reason Lupul got so good was because he switched positions. He and Carlyle have both stated this. I think putting him back at RW would be counter productive for him. I don't mind breaking him off of Kessel but keep him at LW.
He definitely scored more goals on the left side, one-timing passes from Kessel on the rush. But I don't think playing LW was the only reason he was successful. He also played a relatively physical game, and used his body effectively.

Putting him back to the RW might take away a bit production, but like I said, it will strongly aid his defensive game.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Management showed with Gardiner last year, if you play your way onto the team in camp they'll make room for you. Obviously there will be injuries too. I'd really be shocked if at least one of the two of them isn't in the lineup opening night. Frattin should be, and I expect Kadri to have a good camp.

It makes absolutely no sense to keep guys like Lombardi and Armstrong in the lineup and have a better player in Frattin sit out.
Agree I'm just worried that Gardner was an anomaly - Baring injuries I can't see Lombo/Connolly/Army with their cap hits spending much time in the press box. Almost guaranteed that none of them would be put on waivers.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
AK1990

Don't you think a LUPUL/VAN RIEMSDYK/FRATTIN line could bring a similar element to what the Kings had in WILLIAMS/KOPITAR/BROWN

Obviously there is a lot less proven talent on the Leafs end. But Lupul I think is better then Williams at least if he can play the way he did last season. Van Riemsdyk has a lot of potential and has the same build as Kopitar. As for Frattin, he is also built the same way as Brown both standing at 6'0 200 lbs. Brown was a physical force who could put the puck in the net I believe Frattin has the same style just not as polished. Frattin did throw 85 hits in 56 games.

Thoughts?

AK1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik Kristal View Post
Don't you think a LUPUL/VAN RIEMSDYK/FRATTIN line could bring a similar element to what the Kings had in WILLIAMS/KOPITAR/BROWN

Obviously there is a lot less proven talent on the Leafs end. But Lupul I think is better then Williams at least if he can play the way he did last season. Van Riemsdyk has a lot of potential and has the same build as Kopitar. As for Frattin, he is also built the same way as Brown both standing at 6'0 200 lbs. Brown was a physical force who could put the puck in the net I believe Frattin has the same style just not as polished. Frattin did throw 85 hits in 56 games.

Thoughts?
A bit of a stretch I think. Does JVR even play C? I like the possibilities of that line if JVR can be an effective center but maybe too soon to compare these guys to the Kings dynamite playoff line. I also disagree that Lupul is better than Williams. The other two comparisons you make with Frattin and JVR are far too premature.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:29 PM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
A bit of a stretch I think. Does JVR even play C? I like the possibilities of that line if JVR can be an effective center but maybe too soon to compare these guys to the Kings dynamite playoff line. I also disagree that Lupul is better than Williams. The other two comparisons you make with Frattin and JVR are far too premature.
I totally agree its unfair to compare Van Riemsdyk & Frattin to Kopitar & Brown. However, they posses similar skill sets and body types. The potential is to have a line of similar style. NOT SAYING THEY ARE AS GOOD.

Also, according to Burke Van Riemsdyk has played centre all the way up to the NHL. But was transfered to wing cause of the depth at centre in Philadelphia. Leafs have coveted a big centre...Van Riemsdyk could be that guy.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Why are people suggesting Lupul to RW? He hated it and said that they (Carlyle) never gave him the chance to play LW, and then when he did, he's an All-Star. People seem to forget that, and that he was drafted 7th OVR so he has the skill to keep playing like that.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:42 PM
ThreeHundred

Whats the odds Kadri cracks the starting lineup opening night..

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
Whats the odds Kadri cracks the starting lineup opening night..
I think pretty good. He's had a really good AHL career so far with a deep playoff run and seems to be putting it all together. We'll see how good of a camp he has though.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Plus this gives Toronto the opportunity to sign Parise as they will have a spot for him on top line on left side of Kessel. The two of them together would be electric. So fast! In an ideal world I'd have my forwards looking like this.

Parise Mueller Kessel
Lupul Van Riemsdyk Frattin
Ott Bozak Armstrong
Brown Zigomanis Parros

Mueller set to be a free agent. He's got the size and skill set and could really be a star still. He's been injury plagued lately. But if healthy Burke should take a crack at him.

Ott brings a gritty in your face style and would put little rats like Marchand on Boston in his place. No messing around with Ott on the ice. Who is also a great PK guy and has lots of leadership capabilities. Pairing him with the gritty Armstrong would be wicked. They could cycle all day and Armstrong if healthy is very effective as a 3rd line guy. Carlyle wants a control grinding style this line could be very good at shutting down top units.

Parros is essential in my mind. He is a feared big man in hokey and is a better player then Orr and Rosehill and Carlyle knows how to play him properly. Also a mustache line of Parros and Brown would be EPIC!!! Also, No way Lucic can torment the Leafs with Parros watching over. He'd keep him in check.

I chose Zigomanis over Steckel because of his experience. He's got a cup under his belt and Toronto is a young team that could use all the cup experience they can get.

Connolly can be sent down. Lombardi could be had for nothing a team could take a chance if hes healthy. Kulemin, Mac & Kadri can be packaged for defensive help or a true number 1 goalie.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
ThreeHundred

Yeah true. Hope he makes it and stays up. If he doesn't get knocked off the puck so easily, it be good

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Why are people suggesting Lupul to RW? He hated it and said that they (Carlyle) never gave him the chance to play LW, and then when he did, he's an All-Star. People seem to forget that, and that he was drafted 7th OVR so he has the skill to keep playing like that.
Where did he say that he hated it?

He was stuck on the 3rd line in Anaheim behind Perry and Selanne, so he asked to play LW so that he could play in the top-6 but Carlyle didn't think he had the skill to play on his off-wing.

But he played his entire life before Toronto at the RW and was drafted as a RW. MacArthur and JVR have always played the left side, so it might make sense to try him again on the right side.

Oh, and Lupul and MacArthur played together in junior...another reason why I'd like to try a Mac - Grabo - Lupul line.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

TheStar:
"I know the opportunity I’m getting in Toronto I never would have had in Anaheim. Randy Carlyle just didn’t see me as that type of player,” Lupul said in November. “You want to prove people wrong. (Carlyle) didn’t give me any opportunity on left wing. His words to me were, ‘You’re not able to play left wing in this league.’ It’s something I’ve worked on since I got to Toronto, and now I feel more comfortable on left than I ever was on right.”
He likes LW a lot more than RW. Seems to work better there also.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballislife2 View Post
Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Grab Kulemin
Mac Con Frattin
Armstrong Steckel Brown
Kadri
Lambo
Komarov
4th line sucks. No PK upgrade. Brown is small. Armstrong is slow and always injured. Steckel is slow and poor PK. Connolly as 3rd line centre is horrible. No grit or checking and crappy on FO. Mac is miscast on 3rd line too small. Frattin deserves a shot.

Bozak is not a first line centre. Slap JvR at centre or try

JVR Kadri Frattin as 2nd line
Mac Grabo Kulemin as checking line.

Still hope and prayer on 3rd line. Really 3rd and 4th line are a shambles to play Carlyle defensive system, offensive cycling system.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Kbs

Just for fun (because I know there's basically no chance of it happening), but if Jagr ended up becoming a free agent, I think it'd be an interesting experiment to sign him for the 2nd line. I'd only sign him if we managed to dump MacArthur somewhere.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Jagr
Kulemin - Connolly - Frattin
Armstrong - Steckel - Brown

I think Jagr would be a good mentor for the likes of Kulemin, Frattin, and JVR (like he might've been for him in Philly).

I'm bored so forgive me

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
gmjohnny

Close to line up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Still need some size/toughness added.

Potential. Lineup if they threw JVR at centre

Lupul - JVR. - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Frattin
Kulemin - Connolly - Kadri
Brown - Steckel - Armstrong

Bozak
Lombardi
Colborne
D'Amigo
Komarov

Trades a comin
Based on everything I have read, JVR will play centre if he can make the jump. The only switch here is that Bozak moves to the 3rd line centre and Connolly is out. I would be surprized to see Gaustad added either and maybe even Penner

gmjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

as of right now this is what looks best to me (as well):

Lupul VanReimsdyk Kessel
McCarthur Grabovsky Kulemin
Frattin Bozak -----
Steckel Connolly ----

if we get the #1 center then JVR goes back to LW

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
gmjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
Based on everything I have read, JVR will play centre if he can make the jump. The only switch here is that Bozak moves to the 3rd line centre and Connolly is out. I would be surprized to see Gaustad added either and maybe even Penner
Lupul-JVR-Kessel
Penner-Grabo-Frattin
Kulemin-Gaustad-Kadri
Steckel-Bozak-Brown

13/14
MacArthur
Armstrong

Now that is the size you want up front with Penner and Gaustad. Just go get the 2 big guys along with JVR and you have gone from Smurfs to a sizable lineup with teeth

Old
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
as of right now this is what looks best to me (as well):

Lupul VanReimsdyk Kessel
McCarthur Grabovsky Kulemin
Frattin Bozak -----
Steckel Connolly ----

if we get the #1 center then JVR goes back to LW
Why have Steckel LW when he's best on face-offs? I'd like to see Kadri in Kulemin's spot and Kulemin 3rd with Brown and a signing like Parros on 4th line wings with Steckel center. Basically there is no spot or need for LACK.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
gmjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik Kristal View Post
Plus this gives Toronto the opportunity to sign Parise as they will have a spot for him on top line on left side of Kessel. The two of them together would be electric. So fast! In an ideal world I'd have my forwards looking like this.

Parise Mueller Kessel
Lupul Van Riemsdyk Frattin
Ott Bozak Armstrong
Brown Zigomanis Parros

Mueller set to be a free agent. He's got the size and skill set and could really be a star still. He's been injury plagued lately. But if healthy Burke should take a crack at him.

Ott brings a gritty in your face style and would put little rats like Marchand on Boston in his place. No messing around with Ott on the ice. Who is also a great PK guy and has lots of leadership capabilities. Pairing him with the gritty Armstrong would be wicked. They could cycle all day and Armstrong if healthy is very effective as a 3rd line guy. Carlyle wants a control grinding style this line could be very good at shutting down top units.

Parros is essential in my mind. He is a feared big man in hokey and is a better player then Orr and Rosehill and Carlyle knows how to play him properly. Also a mustache line of Parros and Brown would be EPIC!!! Also, No way Lucic can torment the Leafs with Parros watching over. He'd keep him in check.

I chose Zigomanis over Steckel because of his experience. He's got a cup under his belt and Toronto is a young team that could use all the cup experience they can get.

Connolly can be sent down. Lombardi could be had for nothing a team could take a chance if hes healthy. Kulemin, Mac & Kadri can be packaged for defensive help or a true number 1 goalie.

Check Capgeek. Mueller as well as Latrendese are only RFA's and they will be tendered more than likely

Old
06-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
Check Capgeek. Mueller as well as Latrendese are only RFA's and they will be tendered more than likely
They weren't qualified.