HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz II

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I am getting kind of irritated by this kid.

He's not gonna pull some Lebron world announcement is he?
Shultz basically hasn't said a word in 4 months. Hate the media coverage, don't hate the player.

Old
MISC*
Negged.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
What am I missing? Has he made so much as one public statement since all this started?

Criticize his decision not to sign with Anaheim, but why are people pretending that he's the only dragging this out? He couldn't talk to prospective clubs until Sunday, right? He has a week to figure out where he'll commit to for the next three years--and it's only Wednesday.
I am irrational. I just want this and the Luongo thread to be over.

Old
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
edmonton seems like the best fit for him to step in, play a big role, and grow with a young core
but we lost a lot and will never get better

Old
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Niedermayer View Post
Is this kid really worth all the attention he's getting? Or is he just going to end up being another Matt Gilroy?
Gilroy was never as successful as Schultz.

Gilroy's best year was in his 4th year and was 37 points in 45 games. He did that on a very talented Boston team that had Brandon Yip, Colin Wilson, Chris Higgins plus some other decent talent (which included Shattenkirk).

Schultz's best was a PPG player in his 2nd year (something very hard to do in the NCAA, let alone as a dman). He did it with a decently talented team. His third year (his last) was much the same, just with less talent to work with.

The two aren't really comparable.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What makes him a better prospect? Draft position...draft position carries very little weight to me.

Gardiner scored 19 goals in 3 years at Wisconsin, Schultz had one year where he had 18, and scored 40 in his 3 years at Wisconsin.

Why would the Ducks move Gardiner over Schultz? It seems they thought Schultz was the better prospect.

Is Gardiner that much better of a skater?

I don't see him as better defensively either.

I see the goals being a much bigger + for Schultz being a better prospect.
Umm. No. There is more to hockey than points, goals and assists. Gardiner was way better in his own end, is the better skater and the stats unfortunately did not reflect that. Ryan McDonagh in his 3 yrs at Wisconsin never broke 20 points, but he is now a top-tier defenseman in the NHL. You are looking into the stat sheet too closely.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
Wasnt Gardiner seen not as good as Schultz?

Didnt burke say he'd prefer Schultz over Gardiner? i could be wrong
You are correct. The report coming out of Wisconsin was that Schultz was/is more gifted then Jake Gardiner. The belief is that he is a blue chip prospect.

Burke apparently was originally trying to get Schultz in the Beauchemin/Lupul deal. Murray refused so Burke settled for Gardiner instead.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:21 PM
93gilmour93

This is from Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun,

According to the Toronto Sunís Lance Hornby, free agent defenseman Justin Schultz and his representatives are meeting with the Edmonton Oilers today and are likely to meet with the Detroit Red Wings and Maple Leafs in the near future.

Most of the recent reports from NHL insiders have not included Toronto as Schultzís potential destination, yet it is likely that they are at or near the top of that list.

University of Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves indicated in an interview with the Windsor Star that the influence of Schultzís good friend Jake Gardiner was a determining factor in the blueliner staying with the Badgers last season.

ďHis buddy Jake told him he could skate and had the skills, but heíd playing against real strong men.

The NHL is a manís league.

It was important he got bigger and stronger and learned to dominate without the puck against the younger guys first.

He did that this season.Ē

It has to be taken into consideration that if Gardiner had such an influence as to help Schultz with his decision to stay in school that their friendship would have some sway as to his future destination.

Old
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Umm. No. There is more to hockey than points, goals and assists. Gardiner was way better in his own end, is the better skater and the stats unfortunately did not reflect that. Ryan McDonagh in his 3 yrs at Wisconsin never broke 20 points, but he is now a top-tier defenseman in the NHL. You are looking into the stat sheet too closely.
So Gardiner and Schultz are both going to be counted on for their offense from the backend...sure makes more sense to take the more talented player, with the bigger frame, no?

McDonagh is also built a lot stronger than both these guys.

Schultz is better, agree to disagree.

Old
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
but we lost a lot and will never get better
True.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
So Gardiner and Schultz are both going to be counted on for their offense from the backend...sure makes more sense to take the more talented player, with the bigger frame, no?

McDonagh is also built a lot stronger than both these guys.

Schultz is better, agree to disagree.
Gardiner was put together with McDonagh before McDonagh left for the Rangers. Their assignments were to shutdown opposing top lines and they did a fine job at it with one of the best records in college hockey. I'd say Schultz is more gifted offensively, but I'd take Gardiner's skating/defensive play over Schultz any day of the week.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
EvoX

I heard that Ducks gonna file tampering charges against whichever team signs Schultz, my question is why did Ducks not sign him until this year?

IIRC he drafted in 08 and they could've sign him any time btw 08-12, I am not sure how NCAA status has anything to do with signing a NHL contract though. Educate me please

Old
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoX View Post
I heard that Ducks gonna file tampering charges against whichever team signs Schultz, my question is why did Ducks not sign him until this year?
Who did you hear that from?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:28 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:

IIRC he drafted in 08 and they could've sign him any time btw 08-12, I am not sure how NCAA status has anything to do with signing a NHL contract though. Educate me please
they tried to sign him last year, he said he wanted to go back to school.

Old
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Gardiner was put together with McDonagh before McDonagh left for the Rangers. Their assignments were to shutdown opposing top lines and they did a fine job at it with one of the best records in college hockey. I'd say Schultz is more gifted offensively, but I'd take Gardiner's skating/defensive play over Schultz any day of the week.
Still doesn't mean anything to me, McDonagh is an unreal shutdown player...of course Gardiner would look good playing with him.

It's not really a big deal to me, Schultz's skating and defense didn't look that far off for me...

To each their own...I can see Schultz being the better NHLer. Hopefully its with the team I cheer for.

Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:

Schultz wanted to play in college, Anaheim obliged, the end.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:29 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

You cannot sign a pro contract while playing in the NCAA, he'd have lost his NCAA eligibility.

Obviously he wasn't willing to do that.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
This is from Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun,

According to the Toronto Sunís Lance Hornby, free agent defenseman Justin Schultz and his representatives are meeting with the Edmonton Oilers today and are likely to meet with the Detroit Red Wings and Maple Leafs in the near future.

Most of the recent reports from NHL insiders have not included Toronto as Schultzís potential destination, yet it is likely that they are at or near the top of that list.

University of Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves indicated in an interview with the Windsor Star that the influence of Schultzís good friend Jake Gardiner was a determining factor in the blueliner staying with the Badgers last season.

ďHis buddy Jake told him he could skate and had the skills, but heíd playing against real strong men.

The NHL is a manís league.

It was important he got bigger and stronger and learned to dominate without the puck against the younger guys first.

He did that this season.Ē

It has to be taken into consideration that if Gardiner had such an influence as to help Schultz with his decision to stay in school that their friendship would have some sway as to his future destination.
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Quote:
According to #Canucks, GM Mike Gillis is out of town. Assume he is in Toronto, awaiting his audience with Justin Schultz.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2h
Quote:
Regarding Schultz, EDM contingent in TOR includes Kevin Lowe/Craig MacTavish; VAN contingent is GM Mike Gillis/asst GM Laurence Gilman.
I'm guessing Gillis and Gilman are just out having lunch in Toronto then?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Is somebody denying that Vancouver is meeting with Shultz?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2h

Don't get your panties in a bundle. Vancouver is there also.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
You are correct. The report coming out of Wisconsin was that Schultz was/is more gifted then Jake Gardiner. The belief is that he is a blue chip prospect.

Burke apparently was originally trying to get Schultz in the Beauchemin/Lupul deal. Murray refused so Burke settled for Gardiner instead.
I've heard this a lot but I haven't once seen it substantiated by anything other than a Duck or Leaf fan saying it.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
If the Ducks are filing tampering charges against any of 26 teams possibly in on Schultz, then their info must be pretty bad.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:49 PM
BrawlFan

Damn you Tim Murray! You say your close and then don't try and woo him like the heavy hitters!!

Heres to hoping its Gilroy 2.0

Old
06-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Jerky Leclerc

The problem with Schultz is that he has not honored his word and commitment to the Ducks organization. He has consistently told Ducks management and reps including Scott Niedermayer and Todd Marchant that he was committed to playing for the Ducks. Even as late as last Dec. Schultz told Bob Murray and Bruce Boudreau that he can't wait to play for the Ducks. So Anaheim has drafted, developed this player through rookie camps, supported his decision to stay in school only to get a big FU at the end. I think I speak for most Ducks fans when I say I am ready to wash my hands of this turd. Once he signs somewhere, this organization can move on and look to fill the hold that they thought Schultz would had filled on the blue line.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 747
can not wait till this is over..My prediction is that within minutes of him signing elsewhere, there will be two thread on the oiler board saying fire tambo for not signing him

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Closed Thread