HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Loiselle on 1050 talking trade/team/Schultz. And JVR on OTR

Old
06-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Chareth Cutestory

vCash: 500
If he doesn't sign here, please don't let it be with the Oilers.

Still not counting Detroit out of this --- despite the speculation about a desire to go to a Canadian team.

Does anyone know when his episode of The Decision airs?

Chareth Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Thanks for posting, couldn't watch OTR today.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:11 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Wow. Just realized we have a very valuable good young team if all goes well. Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Rielly, Phaneuf, JVR, Grabovski, Kulemin, possibly Schultz, etc.

Came a long way from Poni, Antropov, Stajan, Hagman, etc.

Wow.
I've liked most every move Burke has made since he's arrived in Toronto. His only real mistake was not getting a goalie season after season. Argue the Kessel deal but that is hindsight.

The Toronto Maple Leafs has a bright future ahead of them add Reimer, Gunnar and Kadri to that list. Then some other guys like Frattin and Blacker the Leafs have some very high potential players. If all goes well the Leafs can be a power house we just need to hope a legit 1st line centre comes along and Riemer can be the goalie he was for half of his first season.

The Leafs potential on defence is a scary thought. They're young and full of potential.. if we get Schultz then wow in 3 years if our guys pan out a defence of Phaneuf, Gardiner, Rielly, Schultz, Blacker, Holzer, Finn, Gunnarsson (in no particular order) can be great. Some of them will be traded for help elsewhere of course. And maybe a few don't make it but time will tell!

Very excited for the future of the Leafs!

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:20 AM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
I've liked most every move Burke has made since he's arrived in Toronto. His only real mistake was not getting a goalie season after season. Argue the Kessel deal but that is hindsight.

The Toronto Maple Leafs has a bright future ahead of them add Reimer, Gunnar and Kadri to that.............

Very excited for the future of the Leafs!

I agree, I've liked almost everything he's done since his arrival... not the biggest fan of the MacArthur resigning, I thought we could've got something in a trade while his value was fairly high, and can you remember what we got in return when we traded Versteeg?

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:30 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Wow. Just realized we have a very valuable good young team if all goes well. Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Rielly, Phaneuf, JVR, Grabovski, Kulemin, possibly Schultz, etc.

Wow.
And yet we have an army of fans who are certain Burke is a failure. I don't get it but it's hard to argue our core is very promising. If Riemer could bounce back we could be in for a fun year. The number one C looks like it won;t come any time soon but NJ got to the final without one.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:07 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
We want SCHULTZ!

Go get em guys. We would have the best young potential D-core in the league.

Schultz/Gardiner/Rielly all have #1 potential
Dont get me wrong, that core looks sexy but no way is that the best in the league, Phx (OEL, Gormley, Rundbland) and Ottawa (Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci) would still have a better young D core, then theres teams like the Rags, Blues and Kings you could make an arguament for.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:12 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:

Wow.
You could pretty much say this about any non playoff team whose been rebuilding for years, well except for Calgary, I'm not sure what their trying to do.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
Dont get me wrong, that core looks sexy but no way is that the best in the league, Phx (OEL, Gormley, Rundbland) and Ottawa (Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci) would still have a better young D core, then theres teams like the Rags, Blues and Kings you could make an arguament for.
I prefer our depth to theirs, and our top guys could be as good as any of those dmen save for Karlsson.
Blacker, Percy, Finn, Holzer, etc all have top 4 potential, meanwhile those teams listed don't have the same depth imo.

Too early to tell though.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:14 AM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

Quote:

Wow.
Long as in intergalactic.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:18 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
I prefer our depth to theirs, and our top guys could be as good as any of those dmen save for Karlsson.
Blacker, Percy, Finn, Holzer, etc all have top 4 potential, meanwhile those teams listed don't have the same depth imo.

Too early to tell though.
OEL was the #1 D man on 1 of the top defensive team in the league that went deep in the playoffs and his younger than Gards, so I guess its safe to say that his ahead by quite a margin compare to the 3 you listed.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:

Wow.

Yea, But fire Bourke!!!!!!!

Sarcasm

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
OEL was the #1 D man on 1 of the top defensive team in the league that went deep in the playoffs and his younger than Gards, so I guess its safe to say that his ahead by quite a margin compare to the 3 you listed.
I know, but if Rielly does develop into a Letang-like dman then he might end up better than OEL.

Its too early to tell though, would be interesting to see in 5ish years

Old
06-26-2012, 01:34 AM
number72

Quote:
I know, but if Rielly does develop into a Letang-like dman then he might end up better than OEL.

Its too early to tell though, would be interesting to see in 5ish years
The leaf defence would be stacked if that is the case. And the primary piece that would be missing is a "willie mitchell" pure shutdown defender.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
The leaf defence would be stacked if that is the case. And the primary piece that would be missing is a "willie mitchell" pure shutdown defender.
Komisarek

Maybe Holzer, or Lööv/Granberg/Nilsson if they develop.

If not, then we could pick one up in FA or something

Old
06-26-2012, 05:18 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Ceci? Really? You could try and make that argument but you wouldn't have much success. Karlsson? Sure, but a core isnt one guy. Ceci is not better and Cowan is debatable in comparison.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:24 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
It's "core". You don't really pick the best player, say "well he's better than everyone" and say that core is better. You seem to think that having the best player in a comparison of multiple players means the core is better, when you really just have the best player.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Yep. Hands down better than Yakupov.
I'm not sure what Edmonton was thinking.
I don't think it likely to be anyone but Yak but it is way too early to tell who the best player in this draft will be

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

I get this sense that this is the summer where Burke's restraint in going after the big fish is gone. We now have the depth in youth that can afford us the luxury of making moves and ditching the stop gaps...

And with so many contracts coming up next season you would think this was the plan all along...

Old
06-26-2012, 07:27 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampedx View Post
All the history with Burke drafting him and Gardiner being his partner shows we should be pretty high on his list. But, this is free agency...$ talks.
$ don't talk here. He's subject to the rookie max.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:35 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Show me a team with the depth talent of Gardiner, Blacker, Percy, Reilly and Finn, all 21 and under, and all picked in the 1st 2 rounds. Add a Schultz to that list (potentially) along with 4-5 long shot prospects. That's pretty amazing potential.

And that doesn't include that Franson, Gunnar, Holzer and Phaneuf are younger than the league average age for defenceman.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampedx View Post
All the history with Burke drafting him and Gardiner being his partner shows we should be pretty high on his list. But, this is free agency...$ talks.
He can only be offered the max ELC (plus bonuses).

06-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
love what he had to say about Reilly.... confirming what Burke said he was ranked #1 on there list.
You can't possibly be serious??

He was put on the spot and wasn't going to contradict his boss. Burke IS full of crap.......end of story.

Rielly was a great pick and Burke needed to pound his chest.....it is what it is.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

He was put on the spot and wasn't going to contradict his boss. Burke IS full of crap.......end of story.

Rielly was a great pick and Burke needed to pound his chest.....it is what it is.
Do you know for certain that what they're saying isn't true? You do realize that there isn't always consensus on the #1 selection, right? For example, do you think that any team other than Anaheim had Hampus Lindholm at #6? They may have had him ranked higher than that for all we know.

The point is all teams have different draft rankings and like certain players more than others. It is very possible that the Leafs had Rielly at #1 and you have no idea whether or not they actually did unless you're a member of Leafs management.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

Rielly may very well have been #1 on his list. Think about it, the guy has elite skating and offensive potential and is a projected top pairing D man well suited to the way the NHL is moving towards.

Yakupov and Murray might just be benefactors of the injuries to Galchenyuk and Rielly. If those two had not been injured, Yak would have been nowhere near the consensus #1 pick. I have no doubt that the Habs and Leafs both felt strongly about those players despite their injuries and evaluated them on a level playing field.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

I don't understand why people think Burke would say this to 'hype' up their pick. It really goes against everything they do with their prospects (see: Kadri). In fact, he ripped Kadri a bit in his post-draft discussion of Reilly ("...doesn't need to be told where the gym is...").

In fact, making this claim puts a ton of pressure on this kid, which is also against the Burke norm.

They see something very very special in him. Although not likely, it wouldn't surprise me to see this kid with the big club if he impresses in camp. I don't think he will need to blow them away to the same extreme as others would have had to.