HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Loiselle on 1050 talking trade/team/Schultz. And JVR on OTR

Old
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Yep. Hands down better than Yakupov.
I'm not sure what Edmonton was thinking.
I'm not sure what Edmonton was thinking taking Taylor Hall over Tyler Seguin.

Better yet, Jeff Skinner at seventh overall over first overall Taylor Hall.

The fact is; the draft is a crap shoot so we will see if Yakupov will be the best player picked or if it will be another drafted player after Yakupov.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:26 PM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Rielly may very well have been #1 on his list. Think about it, the guy has elite skating and offensive potential and is a projected top pairing D man well suited to the way the NHL is moving towards.

Yakupov and Murray might just be benefactors of the injuries to Galchenyuk and Rielly. If those two had not been injured, Yak would have been nowhere near the consensus #1 pick. I have no doubt that the Habs and Leafs both felt strongly about those players despite their injuries and evaluated them on a level playing field.
Exactly.

Also, Burke/Morrison and CO. seem to put a lot of emphasis on character (As they should. Character/compete is what wins championships)

I think the fact Rielly has arguably the most upside with skill.... coupled with his so called "legendary" hard work/rehab to make it back this season from his injury made them look at him as the complete package!

Plus, he is Canadian, and year in year out it seems to be 14+ Canadians on the roster of the SC winning team. (Except when Detroit wins)

tpc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
- - Seconds Burke's comment that Rielly was #1 on Leafs list.
- On Schultz: a "very good player; going to make an impact on a hockey team." "sign him).We're gonna try (to "- Not high on the FA crop but still some areas that can be improved on and really help the team.
- On goaltending: Hoping a change in coaching leads to more solid defensive play, making the goaltenders "look better." Always looking to add and improve though.
sounds like theyre gonna try but really arent sure

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:31 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

they would have taken reilly 1st overall
there you have it

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
they would have taken reilly 1st overall
there you have it
Who else were they supposed to take over a guy who would of surely contended for #1 dman if he had not been injured and maybe contended for #1 OVR?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar50 View Post
-Schultz is a really good player, will make an impact on a hockey team.
- everything they do is to improve hockey team, and they do it 356 days a year. Looking to improve at every position so they will try to sign him.
- Free Agency is not here yet and players could still sign with there teams. Not as strong as other classes but there are still some areas you can improve on, some pieces that could address needs.
LAZY B****ES! Taking 9 days off of work.. FIRE BURKE!

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:14 PM
gmjohnny

Why trade up if he was #1 on the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
You can't possibly be serious??

He was put on the spot and wasn't going to contradict his boss. Burke IS full of crap.......end of story.

Rielly was a great pick and Burke needed to pound his chest.....it is what it is.
Burke is a blow hard. If Rielly was number 1 on his list than why was he working so hard to trade up when he said the "price was too high". He got Rielly at #5 and nobody had him projected going earlier. I suspect Galchcyuk was really #1 on there list

gmjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
Burke is a blow hard. If Rielly was number 1 on his list than why was he working so hard to trade up when he said the "price was too high". He got Rielly at #5 and nobody had him projected going earlier. I suspect Galchcyuk was really #1 on there list
He might have suspected the isles were going to take him. He sai after the draft they had no idea who they would take and were a bit surprised they took Reinhart.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:53 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm sure if he knew, for certain, in advance who would be taken, he wouldn't have.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I mentioned this in another thread. There is absolutely no doubt that he was trying to acquire Galchenyuk. He wasn't trying to move up to select Rielly who everyone knew would be there at #5. Rielly was an outstanding pick at #5 and it took alot of guts to pass up on Forsberg. I am sure he was holding his breath when the Islanders picked even though it was widely reported that they loved Reinhart.

Burke has the maturity level of a 7 year old boy. He feels the need to constantly claim that he has the best toys. If anyone seriously believes Burke then I have some very valuable items for sale in my magic treasure chest.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Leafidelity
Soon™

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Burke has the maturity level of a 7 year old boy. He feels the need to constantly claim that he has the best toys. If anyone seriously believes Burke then I have some very valuable items for sale in my magic treasure chest.
You're completely off the mark.

Burke has mentioned numerous times that he's in the entertainment business. He's the Circus Leader getting everyone excited for the show. People want to be excited and entertained and Burke does just that. The people who hate his bravado are probably the same people who hate Onrait and O'Toole for their entertainment value. Or rival fans who just don't get it, seeing as it's not their team.

Maybe you were a fan of the JFJ days of "I can neither confirm nor deny", but Burke brings excitement and attention alot of other GMs don't. I'd say it's working too, here you are talking about him.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
You're completely off the mark.

Burke has mentioned numerous times that he's in the entertainment business. He's the Circus Leader getting everyone excited for the show. People want to be excited and entertained and Burke does just that. The people who hate his bravado are probably the same people who hate Onrait and O'Toole for their entertainment value. Or rival fans who just don't get it, seeing as it's not their team.

Maybe you were a fan of the JFJ days of "I can neither confirm nor deny", but Burke brings excitement and attention alot of other GMs don't. I'd say it's working too, here you are talking about him.
You must be kidding.

Burke has an enormous ego and this is why he screwed the team up so badly. He claimed that he didn't need to do a re-build and made a series of idiotic moves instead of the more logical moves that a more humble man would make. He has certainly backpedalled and changed course after his initial plan flopped but he didn't have a choice.

Do you really believe that the Toronto market needs Burke to sell the game of hockey and the Maple Leafs. A bag of potatoes at a press conference in Burke's stead would still result in the same number of seats sold and the same t.v./ radio audience.

Burke is a smart hockey man but he is a blowhard and an egomaniac. These latter two traits have been his downfall in the past and they certainly haven't helped in Toronto.

BTW: I love Onrait and JFJ was a complete joke as a GM.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:04 AM
deprw

Quote:
Burke was interviewed before the draft and he said that he usually picks BPA. Though now his thinking if he picks for organizational needs, because they have valued this players so close. Almost same value. If you want to speculate and read between the lines. That BPA might have been Rielly and that organizational need might have been Galchenyuk. They wanted to move up so they could choose or they wanted security. Yakupov was consensus 1st overall and Murray probable 2nd, after that I think there were lots of scenarios. Like you saw that Forsberg and Grigorenko dropped badly. I don't know, but they might really value Rielly over Murray and weren't that high on Yakupov. Who knows, they are not there to make consensus picks they make picks they think are the BPA. Happy ending for Burke because he got Rielly and I don't think for second that he wants more pressure to this young kid. W'll see in future, Rielly seems to be character guy.

deprw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Not that I believe Burke when he said he had him at number one but it was a pretty safe bet prior to the draft that Reilly was likely to be there at 5. Keep in mind, they'd been scouting this kid for years, they obviously really like him. If he hadn't been hurt he certainly would have been in the running for second overall.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Leafsman

Just had a scary thought and may be a little paranoid.

Was what Loiselle said about trying to sign Schultz not damn near crossing the line into tampering if not tampering??? Is he not still property of Anaheim??

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Just had a scary thought and may be a little paranoid.

Was what Loiselle said about trying to sign Schultz not damn near crossing the line into tampering if not tampering??? Is he not still property of Anaheim??
Not tampering because teams have been allowed to talk to him since Monday.

Macman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Not tampering because teams have been allowed to talk to him since Monday.
Oh good!!! I listened to the interview and cringed when I heard that!! I am glad to hear it. Lets get him signed!!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:05 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
I mentioned this in another thread. There is absolutely no doubt that he was trying to acquire Galchenyuk. He wasn't trying to move up to select Rielly who everyone knew would be there at #5. Rielly was an outstanding pick at #5 and it took alot of guts to pass up on Forsberg. I am sure he was holding his breath when the Islanders picked even though it was widely reported that they loved Reinhart.

Burke may have had Rielly at #1, AND moved up to take Galy. ...not that hard to figure out if you look back at his quotes, and actually pay attention to them, or put names to them.

He stated he may draft for need (Galy) rather than take the BPA (Rielly) ...that is why he would have moved up.

Rielly was his #1 ranked player, and Galy would have been the player he would have picked in the 'need' category instead. Knowing the Habs were planning on taking Galy, he would have needed to trade up ...cost was too much, so, he stayed put and got his #1 pick.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote