HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Day Grade (General Draft Reaction)

Old
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Draft Day Grade (General Draft Reaction)

If you hade to grade feaster and company on the flames draft this weekend, what would you give them?
IMO I'd give them a B. they don't get a A cuz they passed up on TT and maata but from all the people on tsn and sportsnet saying how could jankowski could be feaster still gets a B. interesting note bob mckenzie said if he was in next years draft he would for sure be in the top 5 or possibly top 3 (sorry no link just heard him say it on tsn)
Also I wasn't psyched about our 2nd round pick but I feel we did really good in the 3rd-and 4th rounds.

All in all the flames get a B from me, but in a few years of development from jankowski feaster could easily get a A+ !

Last edited by Noori: 06-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
I'm giving them a tentative B-. I, like many on this board were pretty devastated with our first rounder. I also was pretty meh on our 2nd and 3rd round picks. However, I like the 4-7 picks a lot, so I bumped the graded up a bit.

Its far to soon to be calling this draft one way or another in reality though. We won't truly know until at least five or six years down the road, if not more.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
in sutters system it would have been a F- (everyone of the players we drafted would have ended up a bust) but i believe in feasters system its a B+ (he understands the importance of development and youth)

Devilspuppet666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
I give it a C.

As in... wait and C.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:51 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
in sutters system it would have been a F- (everyone of the players we drafted would have ended up a bust) but i believe in feasters system its a B+ (he understands the importance of development and youth)
This. The Flames finally seem to have a real solid support system for our prospects, we actually hear and see how our staff is supporting and developing these kids. Unlike the Sutter era, where it seemed like we drafted a guy and hoped some day he would make the NHL with little work put in by the organization.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:52 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
C-

None of these players are even close to a cant miss player. When you pick as high as we did..and who was on the board its a crying shame that all of these guys are just risks.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I give it a C.

As in... wait and C.
Nice. I concur.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
I give it a C.

As in... wait and C.
Agreed. It could turn into an A in five years or it could be an F.
I think a lot of it weighs on how jankowski develops

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
I feel like we should be grading last years draft or even 2010. We picked a guy that may be 6 years from becoming an NHL player and if the stars align he has the ability to be a big top 6 centre.

If we're grading on drafting based on potential Feaster did the best he could have with both the first round pick and added another draft pick A+ from me. if we're talking about playing the percentages and finding the best NHL player B/B- Maata, TT, and possibly Ceci could all come back as what-ifs.

Also I'm not sure why we drafted a goalie in the top 90 I would have like to see us look for a defense man we have 4 guys behind Kipper that other teams would love to have in their prospect pool.

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:09 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
I give it a C.

As in... wait and C.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
I give it a C.

As in... wait and C.
This, the explanation and grade is applicable. Good call, this whole draft will be a work in progress.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
I'd say its a B/B+

Sure we didn't get the sexy pick, but we got a guy who has all the tools to be our future big 1C. What we needed for 20+ years.

Let him develop at his own pace, and see how it goes.

I'm VERY pleased with rounds 4-7.

Feaster and co did a really good job as far as I'm concerned.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Xelstyle

C+

Like the Janko pick a lot as it could be very exciting to see the guy develop. 2nd round and 3rd round especially were a little eyebrow raising. Couldn't have helped but to think that offense or at least an offensive defenseman would have been a better choice somewhere.

Still though, first time with a pick in every round since 2003 I think, there's a lot of hope in this group. Or desperation. Might as well be the same.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:16 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
C+

Like the Janko pick a lot as it could be very exciting to see the guy develop. 2nd round and 3rd round especially were a little eyebrow raising. Couldn't have helped but to think that offense or at least an offensive defenseman would have been a better choice somewhere.

Still though, first time with a pick in every round since 2003 I think, there's a lot of hope in this group. Or desperation. Might as well be the same.
Yeah I guess for me, other than the 2nd and 3rd rounders I am ok with this. Not they were bad picks....just interesting ones.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:33 PM
drewskiv

D- for me on this draft in the most important rounds u pass on higher end prospects for guys who might be good in 4-5 years its not good drafting. Ya the picks got better in rounds 4-7 but those are really the crap shoot rounds thats when u take your 5 year projects not in rounds 1-3.

drewskiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

solid B.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Noori

General Draft Reaction

This is a thread to discuss the Flames 2012 Draft. if you don't like a post, just try to shut up instead of trying to be clever with 'ridiculous post is ridiculous lololololol I'm a ****in' comic genius.'

I'll start. I'm extremely pleased with this draft, particularly the later rounds. I think the single most important thing was that we had a pick in every single. I don't think the importance of that fact can be overstated. Pick are required to keep a healthy flow of young prospects pushing established veterans.

Love the Jankowski pick. It might be the Kool-Aid, but they were so sure of him that they had his name stitched on to the jersey (and not just velcroed on like everyone else). You know who he reminds me of? Tom Brady. Just this gangly kid with an incredible demeanour and this quiet confidence that he will be the best.

I also loved the fact that we stocked up on defense. I would have preffered Thrower or Bystrom over Sieloff, but the Flames idintified him as first-round talent, so I'll trust them on this one. But him, along with Kulak and Culkin (there names would be sick as a defensive pairing), really improve our defensive core. With Wotherspoon, Ramage, Lamb, Sieloff, Kulak, and Culkin, our defensive prospect depth doesn't seem bad. All of these guys can skate and move the puck and a bunch of them bring different elements to the table (offensive flair, physicality, gritty defense).

Can't believe we got Gordon in the sixth round. Pretty awesome. He's already the second highest producer on Swift Current and will only grow and mature into a bigger role next year. We're stocked at LW, but that may not be the situation four years from now.

Deblouw I'm not sure about. He doesn't seem to have any high end potential. However, he does bring a unique skillset that not a whole lot of our prospects possess. This guy is a supposed faceoff god (75% last year). If he can evolve into a 3rd/4th line checking center who can be counted to win important draws, then he may find himself with a role on the team within half a decade.

The USHL seemed to be a big target. It probably has everything to do with Weisbrod. I actually like the idea, as a lot of good players may be less known commodities simply because teams don't scout leagues like the USHL quite like they do the CHL. Hopefully the Flames can exploit this to their advantage (as they did with Johhny Gaudreau last year).

I'll give it a B for now. Pretty optimistic about a lot of these players.

Last edited by Noori: 06-23-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskiv View Post
D- for me on this draft in the most important rounds u pass on higher end prospects for guys who might be good in 4-5 years its not good drafting. Ya the picks got better in rounds 4-7 but those are really the crap shoot rounds thats when u take your 5 year projects not in rounds 1-3.
I agree with you. I liked our later picks. Especially the 4th, 5th and 6th rounders. I live near Swift and Coda is a great kid and will be featured for the Broncos next year with Vause and Lowry moving on.

I was flumoxxed when we didn't take Teravainen. Extremely pissed actually. I got even more angry when after we didn't take him and miraculously Maatta was still available and we picked a kid who essentially played Midget AA last year. All I have to say is he'd better pan out. Extremely risky taking a flyer on a guy when a surefire top 4 NHL defenseman is on the board. Those are the kind of picks you make in later rounds IMO. Was also disappointed with our 2nd rounder. I would've liked Frk, but as usual, Detroit gets the steal after the Flames miss out. I've seen too many of these "off-the-board" picks by the Flames come back and bite our collective *****. (Chuko, Pelech, Tkaczuk and Fata to name a few. This kid appears to be a bigger reach than any of them outside of Pelech.

I really believe Teravainen will be the upstart player of this draft. The guy everyone wishes they would've taken. It's a little easier to score 53 in Midget AA than it is to score 53 in the SM-Liiga.

D

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:55 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I agree with you. I liked our later picks. Especially the 4th, 5th and 6th rounders. I live near Swift and Coda is a great kid and will be featured for the Broncos next year with Vause and Lowry moving on.

I was flumoxxed when we didn't take Teravainen. Extremely pissed actually. I got even more angry when after we didn't take him and miraculously Maatta was still available and we picked a kid who essentially played Midget AA last year. All I have to say is he'd better pan out. Extremely risky taking a flyer on a guy when a surefire top 4 NHL defenseman is on the board. Those are the kind of picks you make in later rounds IMO. Was also disappointed with our 2nd rounder. I would've liked Frk, but as usual, Detroit gets the steal after the Flames miss out. I've seen too many of these "off-the-board" picks by the Flames come back and bite our collective *****. (Chuko, Pelech, Tkaczuk and Fata to name a few. This kid appears to be a bigger reach than any of them outside of Pelech.

I really believe Teravainen will be the upstart player of this draft. The guy everyone wishes they would've taken. It's a little easier to score 53 in Midget AA than it is to score 53 in the SM-Liiga.

D
I feel the same about Teuvo however I think you are selling Jankowski short.

The reason he is in Midget AA, is because he was only 2 days away from the draft cutoff. Next year will be a huge test for him. We won't have any idea of what we really got until at least the end of next year. I am ok with waiting.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:16 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I feel the same about Teuvo however I think you are selling Jankowski short.

The reason he is in Midget AA, is because he was only 2 days away from the draft cutoff. Next year will be a huge test for him. We won't have any idea of what we really got until at least the end of next year. I am ok with waiting.
I thought he played high school hockey? Not Midget AA

Old
06-23-2012, 06:38 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I thought he played high school hockey? Not Midget AA
Yeah this year. I meant year prior.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:45 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Yeah this year. I meant year prior.
I misinterpreted that. But he was 5'8 when he played that so that could have had a lot to do with that

Old
06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I misinterpreted that. But he was 5'8 when he played that so that could have had a lot to do with that
My fault, I didn't specify
Thats exactly why I think.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Doogee
Cammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
This is a thread to discuss the Flames 2012 Draft. if you don't like a post, just try to shut up instead of trying to be clever with 'ridiculous post is ridiculous lololololol I'm a ****in' comic genius.'

I'll start. I'm extremely pleased with this draft, particularly the later rounds. I think the single most important thing was that we had a pick in every single. I don't think the importance of that fact can be overstated. Pick are required to keep a healthy flow of young prospects pushing established veterans.

Love the Jankowski pick. It might be the Kool-Aid, but they were so sure of him that they had his name stitched on to the jersey (and not just velcroed on like everyone else). You know who he reminds me of? Tom Brady. Just this gangly kid with an incredible demeanour and this quiet confidence that he will be the best.

I also loved the fact that we stocked up on defense. I would have preffered Thrower or Bystrom over Sieloff, but the Flames idintified him as first-round talent, so I'll trust them on this one. But him, along with Kulak and Culkin (there names would be sick as a defensive pairing), really improve our defensive core. With Wotherspoon, Ramage, Lamb, Sieloff, Kulak, and Culkin, our defensive prospect depth doesn't seem bad. All of these guys can skate and move the puck and a bunch of them bring different elements to the table (offensive flair, physicality, gritty defense).

Can't believe we got Gordon in the sixth round. Pretty awesome. He's already the second highest producer on Swift Current and will only grow and mature into a bigger role next year. We're stocked at LW, but that may not be the situation four years from now.

Deblouw I'm not sure about. He doesn't seem to have any high end potential. However, he does bring a unique skillset that not a whole lot of our prospects possess. This guy is a supposed faceoff god (75% last year). If he can evolve into a 3rd/4th line checking center who can be counted to win important draws, then he may find himself with a role on the team within half a decade.

The USHL seemed to be a big target. It probably has everything to do with Weisbrod. I actually like the idea, as a lot of good players may be less known commodities simply because teams don't scout leagues like the USHL quite like they do the CHL. Hopefully the Flames can exploit this to their advantage (as they did with Johhny Gaudreau last year).

I'll give it a B for now. Pretty optimistic about a lot of these players.
Agree with a lot of this. Especially about Gordon.

Doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I've seen too many of these "off-the-board" picks by the Flames come back and bite our collective *****. (Chuko, Pelech, Tkaczuk and Fata to name a few.
Sooo 4 failure picks in what, 15 years under different management.

What about the reach picks that seemingly turned out really good for other teams? Turris, Kreider (09), Zajac (I believe, although I may be wrong)

Not every player projects their potential at 17-18. Janko could end up to be the best player in the draft, and if that's what our scouts believe then I have faith.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote