HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Camp

Old
07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
There's no reason for concern....right?
I would think it should be fine. it's not like we just hired mike milbury as a scout or anything.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Hullois

Quote:
There's no reason for concern....right?
Yes - sorry to say this but I would be concerned as a Hawks fan. Gauthier was the pro scout for the Habs when they traded for Gomez, so he's the one that suggested it... he was also pro scout when Gainey got Niniima for Ribiero.

Also, simply because of how he acts, I would not want Gauthier anywhere near my team.

Hullois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
hockeydoug

I'm just holding my breath and hoping Gauthier isn't too influential in terms of pro scouting. I haven't really seen any major issues with the Hawks pro scouting as of late and I haven't been disappointed with the trades even though they've mostly been dumps. I was kind of hoping to see the same group navigate the year with the flexibility and improved depth in the system they have now.

If he's there to help the Hawks' front office evaluate what other front offices are looking for or if he's there to facilitate trades, I'm happy about that, I don't see a down side. The body of work that he's been associated with in Montreal hasn't been a very good one the last half decade or so when it's come to the Habs' hockey decisions, so I'm hoping he isn't too influential when it comes to the pro evaluations.

Always tough to figure out who has more say than who with such a large front office like we see in Chicago.

Still, I like that the heads in the hockey operations department aren't complacent or comfortable to the point that they don't think they can't add people and improve. Even if it looks like nobody is doing much under Bowman to some fans, I hope they see that the front office is still working on making improvements when they can, even if they're minor ones. I'm sure Gauthier has plenty of useful contributions to make, so I hope the Bowmans and the gang find those and make use of them.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
RomersWorld*

Andrew Brunette? Brendan Morrison? Those were two awful additions last year...something a pro scout should've told Bowman.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
hockeydoug

Whoops, I missed that he was confirmed as director of Player Personnel a little while ago. Different title, different perspective on him in some respects than what I posted.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:00 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Andrew Brunette? Brendan Morrison? Those were two awful additions last year...something a pro scout should've told Bowman.
Morrison was pretty much an inconsequential freebie. He didn't cost anything significant and I doubt Bowman made Q throw him in the lineup. Brunette turned out to be a disappointment but he addressed the need on paper going into the year. Both were minor players on short cheap contracts with hits that didn't get in the way, they didn't work out well, I don't consider them a disaster.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
ndgt10

Quote:
Morrison was pretty much an inconsequential freebie. He didn't cost anything significant and I doubt Bowman made Q throw him in the lineup. Brunette turned out to be a disappointment but he addressed the need on paper going into the year. Both were minor players on short cheap contracts with hits that didn't get in the way, they didn't work out well, I don't consider them a disaster.
Morrison, Brunette, O'Donnell, Lepisto, Montador, Johnsson, Olesz, Frolik, Emery = all brutal signings/acquisitions.

Oduya, Mayers = not terrible, not good signings/acquisitions

Carcillo, Leddy = solid acquisitions

Brookbank = TBD

Bowman =

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
sup bro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Morrison, Brunette, O'Donnell, Lepisto, Montador, Johnsson, Olesz, Frolik, Emery = all brutal signings/acquisitions.

Brookbank = TBD

Bowman =

sup bro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Sevanston

Was Kim Johnsson seriously on that list as counting against Bowman?

Like Bowman was supposed to know he would get a concussion and wind up in the land of Oz.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:54 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:

Brookbank = TBD

Bowman =
No "Bowman bash list" is complete without Turco.

Which of those guys other than Oduya was supposed to be top 4/ top 6 other than Oduya?

I agree some of those have been bad but they were all pretty minor and none has hampered their ability to make a major move as far as we know. They haven't crippled the team. With more than 2 dozen players showing up with the Blackhawks in games for the very first time the past 2 years, they could have done much much worse than 97 and 101 pt seasons. I think you're ignoring or underrating many of the moves influenced by the current scouts that were good moves too.

Every time I think about Hawks and scouts at the same time a picture of the Dumas always pops in my mind. I can't wait for it to stop.

Back to prospects, I wish I had a better idea on how these scouts are rating the guys this week.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:

Brookbank = TBD

Bowman =
To call these brutal is a bit overdramatic and over the top, in my opinion.

Johnsson? Really? He came in a trade that brought the Hawks Nick Leddy and unloaded Cam Barker. He was a solid player that got injured. You including him anywhere in any of that pretty much negates any ground for you to stand on here.

Alas, this is a thread about Prospects Camp so it should probably get back on course here. Anyone going tomorrow? I'm going to check it out. Looking forward to it.

Blue Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Hawkscap

This is the Prospect Camp thread right?

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:42 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
This is the Prospect Camp thread right?
Not anymore. Kruger debate is next.

Go!

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:46 PM
jrc494

If I show up on thursday at 1 to Johnny's will there still be seats or a place to watch?

jrc494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

nice interview with teuvo from the hawks website:

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CHI|home

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 07-11-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
07-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I like hamburgers and pizza. Pasta, too. There’s plenty of that in Chicago. I don’t eat that all the time, but they’re my favorites.
Dont think we will have trouble with this kid filling out his frame from this part

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:50 PM
RayP

Loved the interview, thanks for sharing.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Loved the interview, thanks for sharing.
yeah, me too...i really like him a lot already. i've been pretty favourable about our more recent 1st round picks...but there's something about him that really grabs me!

Old
07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
yeah, me too...i really like him a lot already. i've been pretty favourable about our more recent 1st round picks...but there's something about him that really grabs me!
Agree completely. Like that he seems to know what he needs to work on and where he struggles, which is great.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:58 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Nice interview. I like the part about his attitude of winning and wanting to be ready when he comes here. I am concerned about the diet in Finland. Not like the US. I think the diet is heavily weighted for fish. Not the heavy carbs and protein like the midwest.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
What are you going to do today after practice?

I am going to go shopping for shoes. While I was practicing, the shoes I wore to the rink got all wet. I think there was a leak or something in the locker room. So I will look for shoes. A lot of stores here in Chicago. I saw that, too. I think I’m going to enjoy it here, but I have to work hard to get here. Good team, the Blackhawks. Original Six.
Sounds like a prank.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:17 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

this is my favourite part of the interview:

Quote:
And the sun rises very early, doesn’t it?

I don’t know. I’m sleeping. I think so. We are very far north.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM
hawksfan50

So now the real fun starts with the scrimmage games...last year recall that it was not one of the vaunted draftees that led the cap in scoring--but Terry Broadhurst who the Hawks later did sign to a contract...will this camp see another FA invittee surprise and outscore everyone else?

Last year --unheralded 5th rounder ANDREW SHAW opened eyes at camp and will similar sandpaper and energy guy 20 year old 5th rounder GARRET ROSS do the same thing? Could he be in the lineup by mid-year too?

WILL any D-man step up and surprise as NHL ready? Will it be DAHLBECK with 2 year pro in the SEL with Llinkopings? OR the BIG FA invittee VIKTOR SVEDBERG (1 yer pro in the SEL with Frolunda) or somebody else ,forcing the hAwks to re-think their plans?

Will any of the goalies shine --or will it confirm that are yet or ever our "goalie of the fuure" --leaving it to trades or the next draft to find "THE ONE" ?

CAN ANYONE WIN A FACEOFF? HE who shines there will get the royal treatment.

CAN anyone crease-clear? He who does SHOULD get the royal treatment--EXCEPT as we all know--STANVOW prefers smallish skilled PMD's who CANNOT DO ANYTHING OF THE SORT...

Aside from the hawks telling us that SAAD is a man among the boys (which we EXPECT anyway)-- does anyone shine enough to suggest they will soon or a few years from now-HAVE MUCH IMPACT--OR will we come out with more questions about suspects rather than prospects from Stan's vaunted horde of POSITION OF STRENGTH Pipeline supply?

Answering these questions will be the fun of these scrimmages.. Who will surprise,who will confirm an over-hype,who if any can IMPACT big for us soon or down the line..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:35 AM
hawksfan50

DANAULT is now 6'0 and over 200lbs? When we drafted him in 2011 he was listed at 5'11 162 lbs ...Adding an inch --i can believe--but adding about 40lbs since his draft-it seems icredible..must have worked out hard in the gym and on the juice...Either that or the Hawks knew he had the genetics to grow that much in poundage.. This puts him in the ballpark for a centre spot sooner than later IF he can win faceoffs...

Now if they could just repat this miracle with ALEX BROADHURST getting 30 -40 more lbs of muscle on him -then we'd really have something...and of course TT who is yetl just 17 and says he is still growing hopefully adds 30 -40 lbs of muscle by the time he is ready to shine in the NHL...

BUT -face-offs ---work on improving that and cement your job as an NHl'er on this team whenever ready is..else it willbe just ANOTHER flawed centre..

(BUT --certainly Bolland -who is no good at face-offs and cannot seem to add weight --staying at 180 -- and KRUGER who is also not that weighty or good at faceoffs --could be pushed out thy these kids);KANE also small and not weighty (5'10,180) and not the faceoff solution either--are FLAWED at centre for us ..WE can use 6 foot centres at 190-200lbs and if they can win faceoffs that will cement their chances greatly ...so look out they willbe coming for 2nd line and 3rd line centre jobs...THE BIG CENTRE options (power centres) K. Hayes and McNeill probably fit only on the bottom 2 lines as they do not fit our piuck possession/skill types we prefer on the top 2 lines -BUT at least Hayes does faceoffs well
(57% at B.C. last year) and MCNEILL also is reportedly good at faceoffs-so that will help their cause when deemed ready to challenge for a spot..The other issue with Bolland is that he can't seem to go through an 82 game grind without his body geting injured ...This is why if you are only 6'0 you had better closer to 200lbs than 180 or that grind will take its toll on your body..in the Cup year he lasted as healthy all year playing 81 games and had his best year p;aying 81 games,47 pts and +19--last year he managed 76 games but with only 37 pts and just even in the +/- AND face-off deficiencies--his overall value is I think more precarious and the young centres in the pipeline by next season could push him for his job UNLESS he proves to management this year that the team cannot do without him .. he's got to be near his performance of the Cup season --or one of those kids will certailnly snatch his job away the year after this.. 19 goals 37 pts and even is not that hard to duplicate IF you are one of these vaunted pipeline centres the Hawks have--JUST add faceof accumen to your resume and voila Bolland willbe gonzo.. SO if Bolland wants to protect his spot with chicago he had better have a much better year this season..on the clock...the kids are coming...

Last edited by hawksfan50: 07-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.
hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:54 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Going today, I'll try to get some game footage.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote