HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) II

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2012, 02:31 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) II

Mikhail Grigorenko
C / LHS | 6' 3.25" / 200
May 16, 1994, Khabarovsk, RUS
Quebec Remparts, QMJHL

2011-12: 59 games, 40 goals, 45 assists, 85 points, plus-35, 8 power-play goals
PHP Code:
 Season        Team        League        GP    G    A    TP    PIM            Postseason    GP    G    A    TP    PIM 
-2010      Russia U17     WHC-17    6    4    6    10    10    |                               

2010-2011      CSKA-KAM       MHL jr    43    17    18    35    22    |     Playoffs    10    1    4    5    4 
-2011      Russia U17     EYOF      3    2    3    5    0    |                               

2010-2011      Russia U18     WJC-18    7    4    14    18    18    |                               

2010-2011      Russia U19     WJAC-19    4    3    3    6    0    |                               

2011-2012      Russia U20     WJC-20    6    2    3    5    0    |                               

2011-2012     Québec Rmpt     QMJHL    59    40    45    85    12    |     Playoffs    6    2    6    8    4 

Rankings:
CSS Midterm: 2 | CSS Final: 3
Bob McKenzie Midterm: 2 | Final: tbd

Self Assessment:
Comparison: "Evgeni Malkin"
Best asset: "My hands."
Where do you need improvement: "Play in the defensive zone."

NHL Central Scouting:
"He's the type of player that controls the whole pace of the game, he can play with the puck at the same pace he plays without the puck," Central Scouting's David Gregory said. "He sees the ice and opportunities really well. He can hang onto it longer than most players; some players might feel that they have to move it quickly. But Mikhail has the patience and the ability to see opportunities and let them develop, which is a special skill. He's got a big long reach and an ability to move in traffic with his size (6-foot-3.25, 200). He's the kind of forward who will control the play and make things happen."

TSN Grant McCagg:
Highly regarded winger burst onto the international scene with ten points in six games as a 15-year-old at the U-17's in 2009 and followed up with a staggering 18 points in seven games at last spring's U-18 championship.

Strengths: Possesses the size, strength and skill teams covet in a first-line centre, protects the puck well and has great hands for a big man. Also has a smooth, powerful stride and drives to the net with force. Has a heavy shot, great vision and passing skills, elite offensive talent. Not afraid to get his nose dirty when so inclined.

Weaknesses: Has to continue working on his all-around game, needs to bring more consistency, will take some shifts and games off.

NHL upside: Has been compared to Viktor Kozlov in terms of his size/skill package, but also because of his inconsistency. Has the capability of being a skilled number one center at the NHL level, but will he have the desire?

TSN Risers/Fallers (McCagg on Feb 23/12):
"There had been whispers over the past month that all may not be wonderful when it comes to the scouting world's perception of Grigorenko's competitiveness, but the whispers have grown into full-blown skepticism in some circles. "He could fall right off the map," said one scout who asserted that his club won't be considering him in the first round. "He doesn't want to compete. If he's there at 25 and we are picking, we go by him."

His concerns were echoed by another eastern conference scout who insisted his team will not select the talented Russian no matter where they end up in the standings. "He's a dog. Take a look at what games Grigorenko gets his points. He gets a handful the other night against PEI. none at Moncton, and one assist (in the nationally televised game) in Saint John. A couple of weeks ago in Rimouski he's minus 6. He scares the (crap) out of me."

While there's no denying his skill level, and his 73 points in 39 games as a QMJHL rookie are a testament to his offensive abilities, there will be a lot of teams watching him closely in the playoffs to see whether he has the competitive streak scouts like to see in their top five prospects. As of right now a number of teams have several players ranked ahead of him, and that trend will continue if he does not learn to compete at a higher level."

TSN Feb 15/12:
Grigorenko, meanwhile, returned to the Remparts lineup on Jan. 21 after missing five games with an ankle injury. Despite missing times, Grigorenko remains 12th in scoring in the QMJHL with 31 goals and 38 assists in 46 games.

B-Mac Feb 8/12:
Grigorenko started the season as a one-dimensional player, and Patrick Roy has turned him into a well rounded player, says [Bob] MacKenzie. MacKenzie compared Grigorenko to Evgeni Malkin & Pavel Datsyuk. He called him a "200 foot player". He also said some scouts might rather Grigorenko as he's a big center. He noted that Grigorenko hasn't played well since high ankle sprain.

He said that if the team with the first overall pick thinks they're close they might take him over Nail Yakupov, because of his two way play. He also noted that most scouts said they would take Yakupov, but he has talked to some that would rather take Grigorenko. His biggest asset is that he's a big, two-way center, a hot comodity in today's NHL.

McCagg April 4/12:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
TSN's Grant McCagg, who used to scout for the Habs and is friends with Timmins, posts on our board from time to time and he has been anti-Grigorenko big time, suggesting he could envision 5 other forwards on our draft board ahead of Grigo on draft day and what not, some people assume it's because Timmins is feeding him the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I wouldn't consider myself to be anti-Grigorenko...I'm just not ready to anoint him the number two pick, and I have talked to several other scouts that have reservations about parts of his game. I don't think Timmins is anti Grigorenko either - he scouted him in the past few weeks....if he had no interest in him he wouldn't bother watching him at this point. I may know Trevor, but he's always been extremely coy about who he likes..he keeps his cards close to his vest.

There is no denying Grigorenko's talents, and I'm on the record as saying if he has a strong playoff and dispels some of the concerns about his performance in tough contests, then he might well still end up in my top two come draft time. He my even end up being a Hab.

The Halifax series will be a good test. I'm going to Quebec City to watch him play in the first two games of the series this weekend. I'm also going to be writing a feature on Grigorenko for TSN. I will interview several scouts, coaches, players and managers for the article.

RDS Cup - Rookie of the Year
Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts - winner
Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads
François Brassard - Quebec Remparts
Anthony Duclair - Quebec Remparts
Zachary Fucale - Halifax Mooseheads
Brandon Whitney - Victoriaville Tigres

Michel-Bergeron Trophy - Offensive Rookie of the Year
Anthony Duclair - Quebec Remparts

Paul-Dumont Trophy - Personality of the Year
Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts
Jonathan Huberdeau - Saint John Sea Dogs - winner

Michael-Bossy Trophy - Top Professional Prospect
Martin Frk - Halifax Mooseheads
Brandon Whitney - Victoriaville Tigres

Michel-Brière Trophy - Most Valuable Player
Mikhail Grigorenko - Québec Remparts
Yanni Gourde - Victoriaville Tigres - winner
Zach O’Brien - Acadie-Bathurst Titan

2010-11 Season:

2011-12 Season:

2012 TPG:

Recent Videos: http://www.hockeyprospect.tv/search/...o%20%282012%29

Detailed QMJHL Stats: http://lhjmq.leaguestat.com/en/stats...r.php?id=11352

Original Thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=622241

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 04-09-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 02:32 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
First!

Seriously people are so up and down about this kid.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:19 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
It really is pretty amazing how extreme the views on this guy can be. Guess this is a case where the scouting staff really does their homework. Regardless of who drafts him should be interesting to see just how he turns out.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
mbowman

i'm going to the mooseheads game tomorrow, i'm pumped to finally see this guy live. and mackinnon too haha.

not that i'm a scout or anything, but if i see anything worth noting, i'll post it here after

Old
04-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I just hope we get the truth on his ankle injury whenever their season ends.

Did it heal up and it's now 100% or has he been playing with it since January?

Old
04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Here's his latest video by NHL.com:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hcatid=635

oops..that's Nail Yakupov's video..but Grigorenko's just after. He seems pretty humble and a fun guy..listen at the end of his interview.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
kasper11

I can't really take McCagg's criticism too seriously when he talks about Grigorenko getting points only against weaker competition.

The guy dominated the U18s last year as a 16 year old and was solid as a 17 year old in the U20 in January. He has 8 points so far in 6 playoff games. Seems to me like he shows up just fine for the big games.

If I were a GM I would probably not be shy about drafting a player that had a bad week in February.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

i'm so iffy about this guy ...

Old
04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It really is pretty amazing how extreme the views on this guy can be. Guess this is a case where the scouting staff really does their homework. Regardless of who drafts him should be interesting to see just how he turns out.

A prospect potentially picked at #2 shouldn't have that many questions marks IMO. He shouldn't go top 3 IMO.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Is the knee fully healed yet?

Old
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Is the knee fully healed yet?
Knee was never injured. You must be thinking of either Grigorenko's ankle, or of another prospect Alex Galchenyuk.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Ah, yeah, ankle is what I was thinking about..

Old
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
A prospect potentially picked at #2 shouldn't have that many questions marks IMO. He shouldn't go top 3 IMO.
What question marks? Everything about this guy have been blown way out of proportions because there's a consensus #1 and then, you have a guy who hasn't played all year, so everything about him is how awesome he was last year and the other guy plays in some basement rink with nobodies.

Of course the guy is gonna look a bit ugly, everyone's been beating on him for the past 4 months because it got boring to say how good he actually was.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:08 PM
zackman35

Is it just me or did Grigorenko start receiving a lot of flak around the time of his ankle injury and the game he went -6 (9-3 loss) against Rimouski (I think it was)?

Old
04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman35 View Post
Is it just me or did Grigorenko start receiving a lot of flak around the time of his ankle injury and the game he went -6 (9-3 loss) against Rimouski (I think it was)?
Same thing that I have stated on the Habs boards I think. It's weird.

Old
04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Habs board has a bunch of profiles like this, here's Grigorenko's: http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/04/...il-grigorenko/

Old
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
LeMAD

Some NHL scout told the "Journal de Québec" that he feels Grigorenko would probably be better on the wing (in french):

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/...ntre-a-ailier-

Old
04-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Not sure what to think of this prospect, he plays a very sound game overall but I am not sure he has the elite traits to become that elite player, I am not a huge fan of his skating or the way he carries himself on the ice. I much prefer the game of Galchenyuk.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
puckfan13

Grigorenko resembles a more slippery Getzlaf without the physical element to me if that makes any sense. It looks like they handle the puck in a similar way and they both skate in that upright style with their head up and have great vision but also an underrated shot.

A lot of the concerns seem to be similar as well, but the talent level backs it up in both cases. Think the Oilers have to take him at the #2 spot if someone else doesn't win the lottery. When an intense and competitive guy like Patrick Roy is behind him 100% my doubts are somewhat at ease. Don't think he should be up with the big club next year, or maybe even the year after that... but he will be a player.

Last edited by puckfan13: 04-09-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

If he gets overlooked past the top 3, some teams will be very sorry later.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
airforceones25

Slide to Anaheim pretty please!

Old
04-10-2012, 12:07 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Slide to Anaheim pretty please!
No, but Dumba can

Old
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...e-dun-cran.php

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/...sse-au-3e-rang

When told about his drop from 2nd to 3rd by reporters, Grigorenko's facial expression showed a lot of disappointment, he even asked the reporters who went ahead of him, although he tried to be philosophical about it after a moment of silence:

''It's only a ranking. It's at the draft that the real decisions will be made. Who knows? Maybe by then, I'll be 15th. Or I will be picked second...or first! Anyway, I have no idea why I went down 1 spot. It's their evaluation and for now, I am concentrating on the playoffs. ''

Grigorenko is candid about his recent play and admits he did not play up to his talent level in round 1:

''The first round featured a lot of physical and dirty play. In this series, we are playing real hockey, without the cheap shots. It's a style I am more comfortable with. I wasn't ready for the style of hockey we faced in that 1st round, but I am well prepared for the 2nd round. It's easier for me mentally.''

Old
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...e-dun-cran.php

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/...sse-au-3e-rang

When told about his drop from 2nd to 3rd by reporters, Grigorenko's facial expression showed a lot of disappointment, he even asked the reporters who went ahead of him, although he tried to be philosophical about it after a moment of silence:

''It's only a ranking. It's at the draft that the real decisions will be made. Who knows? Maybe by then, I'll be 15th. Or I will be picked second...or first! Anyway, I have no idea why I went down 1 spot. It's their evaluation and for now, I am concentrating on the playoffs. ''

Grigorenko is candid about his recent play and admits he did not play up to his talent level in round 1:

''The first round featured a lot of physical and dirty play. In this series, we are playing real hockey, without the cheap shots. It's a style I am more comfortable with. I wasn't ready for the style of hockey we faced in that 1st round, but I am well prepared for the 2nd round. It's easier for me mentally.''

Just what teams want to hear from him

Old
04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Yeah, that quote wasn't exactly the best thing at the moment, lol.

Closed Thread