HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

NHL News/Notes part 10

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
But what if Gomez doesn't do anything? What if Burns doesn't come back? What of Demers plays like last year, not like his 10-11 incarnation? What if Clowe keeps playing like a 4th liner? What if Havlat gets injured? Or worse, what if Thornton gets injured?

There are a ton of questions. We're one injury to Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture away from our offense becoming average.

@Pink: I don't expect the bottom-6 to be world beaters, but I do expect them to put up points, maintain possession, play strong defense, draw penalties, and most importantly, be good enough to earn the trust of the coaching staff so that they don't have to keep rolling out the Thornton line every other shift when times get hard.
To all those questions, Jux, you have to give it time and find out. They don't need to make moves yet. They need to see what they have and three games isn't enough to find out.

And the bottom six has done enough to justify the coaches playing them enough to keep the top guys minutes to under 20 a game which is not the norm for McLellan. They've also drawn five penalties in three games. And only Handzus is a minus player so while they aren't putting up goals or points, they also aren't giving up anything either at even strength.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:23 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
With the 1rst overall pick the San Jose Sharks select...
We wouldn't be bad enough for the 1st overall. Maybe 4th. Then we can get Joe's replacement, Sasha Barkov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
To all those questions, Jux, you have to give it time and find out. They don't need to make moves yet. They need to see what they have and three games isn't enough to find out.

And the bottom six has done enough to justify the coaches playing them enough to keep the top guys minutes to under 20 a game which is not the norm for McLellan. They've also drawn five penalties in three games. And only Handzus is a minus player so while they aren't putting up goals or points, they also aren't giving up anything either at even strength.
Fair enough, it does need time. I guess when I said holes, I meant question marks.

But just remember, we've played three games this year against two bad teams and one average team missing it's starting goaltender, a top-4 defenseman, and their #1C. It's not like the coaching staff has had to lean on the top-6 too much simply because the Sharks have had the lead.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Which it would be for most teams with losing there best player. Even detroit last season lost lidstrom for a handful of games and they didn't do that good. And this year early on they are struggling a lil bit.
Quote:
We wouldn't be bad enough for the 1st overall. Maybe 4th. Then we can get Joe's replacement, Sasha Barkov.
Wrong. Without Jumbo, Patty and Pavs both spiral into self hating depression unfairly blaming themselves for his injury, Boyle snaps and spends entire games tearfully skating in circles going "nonononononononono", Couture out of respect refuses to play till Jumbo comes back, Havlat in an attempt to avenge Jumbo's injury gets injured himself, Clowe then attempts to be the next Jumbo and makes a large assortment of beautiful passes....to the other team. The bottom six loses all semblance of chemistry without the calming influence of 19, Nemo and the defense lose faith in themselves and Todd McLellan and DW takes a leave of absence due to extreme grief. Burns spends his time playing call of duty with an unknown injury.

Tell me we don't select 1rst overall with that.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Fair enough, it does need time. I guess when I said holes, I meant question marks.

But just remember, we've played three games this year against two bad teams and one average team missing it's starting goaltender, a top-4 defenseman, and their #1C. It's not like the coaching staff has had to lean on the top-6 too much simply because the Sharks have had the lead.
Question marks is a fair way to put it. But while you may want to hedge your bets on what teams we've played and their shortcomings or what they're missing, this team is also missing arguably its best defenseman. The drop-off from Burns to his replacement coming in from the press box, whomever one may choose for that, is dramatic.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:19 AM
do0glas

Those are a lot of ifs. I think the coaches went long enough with a broken top six to have a game plan.

I feel more comfortable with galiardi up there, and I'm curious to see Gomez. They could service as fill ins.

I honestly think demers could lose his spot to Irwin. The kid doesn't make half the mistakes demers was prone to, should be interesting.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Those are a lot of ifs. I think the coaches went long enough with a broken top six to have a game plan.

I feel more comfortable with galiardi up there, and I'm curious to see Gomez. They could service as fill ins.

I honestly think demers could lose his spot to Irwin. The kid doesn't make half the mistakes demers was prone to, should be interesting.
Really? Irwin makes plenty of mistakes out there. They simply haven't been cashed in on yet. There's no way that Demers loses his spot to Irwin. Braun would be more susceptible than Demers.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Really? Irwin makes plenty of mistakes out there. They simply haven't been cashed in on yet. There's no way that Demers loses his spot to Irwin. Braun would be more susceptible than Demers.
Demers liked to give the puck to the other team in bad spots. I honestly haven't seen a mistake like that from Irwin. But I could have the teal glasses on

Old
01-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Demers liked to give the puck to the other team in bad spots. I honestly haven't seen a mistake like that from Irwin. But I could have the teal glasses on
Irwin was inches away from giving it away right in front of Niemi when he tried to skate with it from behind the net. Irwin hasn't adjusted yet to NHL speed and it shows in his decision making with the puck in certain instances. It's understandable, of course, with his lack of experience but it is happening.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 153
Quote:
Irwin hasn't had enough chances to screw up because he's only played 3 games (one period of which was pure domination of the Oilers).

Old
01-26-2013, 02:21 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Irwin hasn't had enough chances to screw up because he's only played 3 games (one period of which was pure domination of the Oilers).
Ill give you that, but unless there is a major jump in quality with demers I don't really see the point of bumping Irwin. He's doing better than Braun.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:31 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Ill give you that, but unless there is a major jump in quality with demers I don't really see the point of bumping Irwin. He's doing better than Braun.
Braun's partner is Murray. He is literally playing for the both of them.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:31 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Demers was impressive in his euro stint from what little I saw. His experience and skill are far above Irwin at this point. The moment demers is healthy Irwin is gone to the ahl.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
I'd rather send Braun down he makes Vlasic look like Weber.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:33 AM
WTFetus

When everyone is healthy, use Murray as the "7th" but never let him play. Only use him if Irwin can't get to the game in time when recalled.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

drosennhl 8:51am via TweetDeck Rosen's Notebook: Meet the NHL's newest ref and see where he grew up and learned to skate. You won't believe it. http://t.co/6IsKM25H

Old
01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...n.html?cmp=rss
Interesting article looking at the undrafted players making an impact this season, including the four on the Sharks roster.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:04 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=652607
Habs Pacioretty out after appendectomy

Old
01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

Random CBA question - will the cap be locked at 64.3M from next year and on? Or is it gonna grow just like it did before? In other words, what are the chances the cap hit will be back at 70M in 2014-15?

Old
01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Random CBA question - will the cap be locked at 64.3M from next year and on? Or is it gonna grow just like it did before? In other words, what are the chances the cap hit will be back at 70M in 2014-15?
Because of the partial season (partial revenue), cap has been set for 13-14 at $64.3m. For 2014-15 and for the rest of the duration of the CBA, it will be calculated at 50% of the HRR of the previous season.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Kitten Mittons

So basically nothing has changed when it comes to the annual cap hit raise (as long as there is an increase in revenue).

Old
01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Habs sign Subban to two-year deal.

So I think that leaves Avs' O'Reilly as the only "significant" unsigned RFA?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nh...3887--nhl.html

M vs W radio today discussed Sharks

Old
01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video
Melrose ranks divisions. #3 Pacific (led by Sharks), #2 Atlantic, #1 Central

Old
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 153
^ East coast bias at it's finest. The pacific has no terrible teams & has 3 Stanley Cup contenders. No other division in the west can match that kind of depth.

Edit: I meant the NHL, not just the western conference.

Last edited by magic school bus: 01-28-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Pittsburgh>Kings, Rangers>Sharks, Flyers>Yotes, Devils=Stars, Islanders<Ducks. I'm okay with the ranking.

Closed Thread