HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Detroit Red Wing Draft Class of 2012

Old
06-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Boomhower

vCash: 500
Official Detroit Red Wing Draft Class of 2012

2nd round #49 MARTIN FRK RW CZE 6' 0" 193 QMJHL HALIFAX

3rd Round # 80 JAKE PATERSON G CAN 6' 0" 176 OHL SAGINAW

4th Round #110 ANDREAS ATHANASIOU C; LW CAN 6' 0" 177 OHL LONDON

5th Round #140 MICHAEL MCKEE D CAN 6' 4" 229 USHL LINCOLN

6th Round #170 JAMES DE HAAS D CAN 6' 2" 197 OJHL TORONTO LAKESHORE

7th Round #200 RASMUS BODIN LW SWE 6' 6" 207 SWEDEN OSTERSUNDS

Interesting blend. Holland and Company did manage to mix it up a little more this year.
A couple projects, a couple guys with size/meaness, a couple skill guys.
Also worked out 3 forwards, 2 defenseman and 1 goaile.

Discuss

Last edited by Boomhower: 06-23-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Shoryuken
-

Pretty good draft for not having a first rounder, imo. Maybe that's just because I love Frk.

Shoryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Only one I don't like is the selection of a goaltender in the 3rd round. I'm also very excited for Frk

Kronwalled55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
I liked the second, fourth, sixth and last pick of the draft. The goalie pick was meh, and I doubt our 5th rounder will ever makemitmpast ECHL if he gets that far. I'm just glad we got another A2. Maybe 2A2?

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
sarcastro

Athanasiou (I kind of hope he busts so I don't have to type that name...) looks like a guy who, if he reaches his absolute peak, will be Geoff Sanderson. Sure, the guy scored a ton of goals cherry-picking but he was a career -100 and he disappeared every time his teams managed to make the playoffs. Much more likely that he ends up being Rico Fata, as some have suggested. Meh. We'll see. Maybe the scouts are wrong about him.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

My Initial Reactions-

2nd round #49 MARTIN FRK RW CZE 6' 0" 193 QMJHL HALIFAX
Despite the speed and concussion issue, I really like this pick. This guy looks like a natural.

3rd Round # 80 JAKE PATERSON G CAN 6' 0" 176 OHL SAGINAW
Not a big fan of this pick. Wings goalie picks have been less than inspiring.

4th Round #110 ANDREAS ATHANASIOU C; LW CAN 6' 0" 177 OHL LONDON
Not a bad pick, I guess, because of pure athleticism. Also has some skill. But I don't see any awareness. Could be a Boyd Devereaux type when all is said and done.

5th Round #140 MICHAEL MCKEE D CAN 6' 4" 229 USHL LINCOLN
Not bad, I guess. Has mobility you want from a big guy. It's just hard to know if the Wings are any good at drafting tough guys.

6th Round #170 JAMES DE HAAS D CAN 6' 2" 197 OJHL TORONTO LAKESHORE
Not a big fan of this pick.

7th Round #200 RASMUS BODIN LW SWE 6' 6" 207 SWEDEN OSTERSUNDS
Hmmm. Aren't many 6'6 forwards in the NHL, are there?

The Wings are good at drafting smallish, skilled forwards. Or they were.
I don't mind if they stick to what they are good at. You can smallish, skilled forwards for tough guys and 3rd pairing defensemen. You don't need to address every positiion and every need in a draft.'

On the other hand, we haven't had a smallish, skilled forward make an impact in awhile, even if we have hopes for Jarnkrok, Nyquist, Tatar, etc

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Only one I don't like is the selection of a goaltender in the 3rd round. I'm also very excited for Frk
Rarely are people ever happy with using a higher round pick on a goalie... especially one as low profile as Paterson.

I wasn't impressed when I saw him play, so I tend to fall into the same thinking as you.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Henkka

What are the handnesses of these guys?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

Dont like the pick on the goalie only because Maidens, Zharkov, and Marcantuoni were still left. Seems like a decent draft but time will tell.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:32 PM
gongshow519

Really thought Detroit did a good job. I love frk's game and athanasiou in the 4th is a steal, no one thought he would drop that much. I also like the huge Swede .

gongshow519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Bob Probert Owns You
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Outside of the Frik pick, nothing really makes me tingly. Pretty "meh" draft, IMO. The real off-season for this team starts July 1.

06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Marky9er

You may not like the goalie pick, but I like the .926 sv% from Feb 1st including playoffs. Looks good for organizational depth, IMO he has some potential.

Definitely not a great looking draft compared to recent years, though. Hopefully De Haas or Rasmus whatever are revelations.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:54 PM
XO
Valar Morghulis

I'm not disappointed but I'd rather have had us taking Zharkov in the 3rd round over Paterson. I dont know much about Paterson thouogh so might have been stupid. Time will tell.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Boomhower

I'll give my insights on Athanasiou. I've probably seen him 80-100 times and a lot live.

Skillset:
You can't over hype his speed, he is a burner without question. I would bet he is the fastest player selected in the draft.

He has put on some very impressive stickhandling dangles and scored some highlight real goals at the OHl level. You've already seen some of the Youtube clips posted and more will surface. So there is an element of great puck skills.

Every once and a while he will come out for a shift on a mission and really surprise opposition players with highlight real open ice hits. But those are few and far between. He is not a consistant physical presence at all. He doesn't compete hard along the boards and struggles to win physical battles for the puck. He is easily moved off the puck.. however at the OHL level defenders do have a tough time catching up to him to knock him off the puck.

He is an attack first type of offensive player. Athanasiou doesn't look for his linemates very often... this is where his hockey IQ is called into question. He has a tendency to takeoff with the puck and attempt to beat all defenders in the neutrel zone/offensive blueline by himself and this leads to an abundance of turnovers. Turnovers and poor decisions with the puck have been his downfall. He often puts his head down, skates fast, and tries to do it all by himself, making it tough for his linemates around him. As eveidence by his goals to assist ratio, he is not much of a passer or playmaker. And tries to create his own shot.

His shooting is average and could use some imrovement. Most of his goals are scored in close or on dekes. For a player who is constantly looking for his own offense, he could use improvement on his shot.

His defensive game also struggled. Just doesn't seem to understand his responsibilities. That's not to say he doesn't use his speed to backcheck hard, just struggled with understanding his assignments. And his compete/want factor when playing in the defensive zone did not equal that of when he had the puck on his stick.

A lot of Athanasiou's stick handling dangles, or relying on his wheels to blow around guys to the outside, likely won't work at the next level. So while the talent is there, major changes are needed to his game.

Club Situation in London:

His point totals from this year are misleading. London was insanely deep up front this year and rolled 4 lines (2 players from London's 4th line went ahead of Athanasiou at the draft) and Athanasiou didn't get that much Power Play time. He also didn't have consistent linemates this year. On another team he would have been put in a more offensive role and no doubt put up much better numbers.

Problem was Athanasiou was hurting his seriously skilled offensive linemates with his individual play, so he fell down to checking lines. He then struggled with the checking/defensive aspect... so he fell completely out of the lineup (healthy scratch) during parts of the OHL West Finals and OHL championship series.

Other teams would have tolerated him, but the Knights were insanely deep at forward and coached by the Hunters. They historically like no nonsense, gritty, hard working players (sound like Babcock?). They've benched skilled guys like Scremp and Kadri in past years for not buying in to a team game and turn over problems.

As a Red Wings fan I now hope Athanasiou is traded from London.
London returns 6 NHL drafted forwards for sure next year (maybe 7).
London also returns 2 forwards who look like surefire 1st round picks in the 2013 Draft (Domi and Horvat)
And Matt Rupert who was already ahead of Athanasiou on the depth chart.

It looks like it will be tough sledding for Andreas to get into the top 6 forwards or earn PP mins next year.

I think this provides insight as to why Athanasiou fell way past his early season billing as a first round pick. That's not to say he isn't at all intrigueing as a prospect. I just would have preffered someone else at that spot.

Comparisons:
Rico Fata comparison. Similiar in all aspects, no way around it.
Maybe he could buy in and turn out like Jason Chimera... another speedster who originally had his hockey IQ questioned, but is now a reliable defensive player. just don't ever see Athanasiou being as gritty as Chimera.

Last edited by Boomhower: 06-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 02:09 PM
gongshow519

Boonhower, I agree with some of the stuff you were mentioning about athanasiou but your misleading. I'm a OHL fan and own the OHL pack on tv so I watched a lot of knights game and saying you would have picked someone else in the 4th is ridiculous. This kid was suppose to be at worst a late 2nd rounder but instead you guys got him in the 4th. What I think athanasiou lacks is confidence. He was a 1st liner in the Ivan hlinka for Canada and produced but in London didn't play as much and getting scratched probably got his confidence down. Your right he needs to be more physical and at times pass more but he is a great player and expect big thing from him in the future. If he capilized on all the breakaway he had and good chances he got from his speed then he would have had 30+ goals. All in all were lucky we got him in 110 because he is a unique talent

gongshow519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow519 View Post
Boonhower, I agree with some of the stuff you were mentioning about athanasiou but your misleading. I'm a OHL fan and own the OHL pack on tv so I watched a lot of knights game and saying you would have picked someone else in the 4th is ridiculous. This kid was suppose to be at worst a late 2nd rounder but instead you guys got him in the 4th. What I think athanasiou lacks is confidence. He was a 1st liner in the Ivan hlinka for Canada and produced but in London didn't play as much and getting scratched probably got his confidence down. Your right he needs to be more physical and at times pass more but he is a great player and expect big thing from him in the future. If he capilized on all the breakaway he had and good chances he got from his speed then he would have had 30+ goals. All in all were lucky we got him in 110 because he is a unique talent
I don't discount your opinion. People share different opinions on prospects all the time.

But how did I mislead anybody?
I acknowledged all Athanasiou's talents in my analysis.
I would be doing a discredit if i didn't point out his flaws/reasons other NHL teams didn't want him. 18 other NHL GM's passed on him in round 4 and so would I. But of course I admit he is talented and intirgueing. I'm Just not sure it will translate to a pro game.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Shoryuken
-

https://twitter.com/Sproully93/statu...65423712387072

Shoryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
RJQuack

I'd be very excited for the Frk pick.... Even tho you'll probably all say it's a homer post

Now as a Moose fan, I'd say getting him at #49 is a wicked steal. Only problem this year for him was the concussion. He was in great shape, skating improved, and was still a magician with the puck in August... Then boom he's out 3-4 months. That Frked him up. () He came back in December and skipped the WJC because of his state (overweight, not in game shape) That certainly changed his draft position, as if the draft was just on skill he'd be a top-10 pick. I honestly can't say there's anyone in this draft with a better shot. Absolutely laser, best i've ever seen for the Moose and in junior. Very big and physical, but needs to stay disciplined even tho he has the grit. Defense will need work but that could come with getting in shape and a better ethic. When healthy is a total, dynamic offensive power.

If there was one team that Frk needed to be drafted to it would be Detroit. Have a good track record, and are very patient with their picks. I have a feeling he, along with the Wings organization will whip him back into the shape he was last summer so he can become that player he can be. Capable of 40-50 goals easy playing with Drouin, Fournier and MacKinnon, and will hopefully play a full year.

Good pick Wings!

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

"They also got Brunner which is like having a 1st round pick"

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:57 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
Outside of the Frik pick, nothing really makes me tingly. Pretty "meh" draft, IMO. The real off-season for this team starts July 1.
It's Frk, you Frker... Man am I gonna enjoy abusing his last name.

Anyways... Rasmus Bodin looks like our Hakkan pick... Geeze if he sniffs the NHL he'll please both Babs and Holland, since he's a european and abnormally huge.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
grsbmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I'd be very excited for the Frk pick.... Even tho you'll probably all say it's a homer post

Now as a Moose fan, I'd say getting him at #49 is a wicked steal. Only problem this year for him was the concussion. He was in great shape, skating improved, and was still a magician with the puck in August... Then boom he's out 3-4 months. That Frked him up. () He came back in December and skipped the WJC because of his state (overweight, not in game shape) That certainly changed his draft position, as if the draft was just on skill he'd be a top-10 pick. I honestly can't say there's anyone in this draft with a better shot. Absolutely laser, best i've ever seen for the Moose and in junior. Very big and physical, but needs to stay disciplined even tho he has the grit. Defense will need work but that could come with getting in shape and a better ethic. When healthy is a total, dynamic offensive power.

If there was one team that Frk needed to be drafted to it would be Detroit. Have a good track record, and are very patient with their picks. I have a feeling he, along with the Wings organization will whip him back into the shape he was last summer so he can become that player he can be. Capable of 40-50 goals easy playing with Drouin, Fournier and MacKinnon, and will hopefully play a full year.

Good pick Wings!
He seems to be in pretty good shape right now. He got top-5 in VO2 at the combine if I am remembering correctly.

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsbmd View Post
He seems to be in pretty good shape right now. He got top-5 in VO2 at the combine if I am remembering correctly.
Yes you are. Two guys tied for third so he was fifth.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:06 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
What are the handnesses of these guys?
kids

Frk - R
Athanasiou - L
McKee - L
Bodin - L
De Haas- L

Too few righties for your taste, eh?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Some stuff on Paterson and Athanasiou.

I had Paterson ranked as the 24th best player from the OHL. Athanasiou 21st. Here's what I wrote about them.

Paterson quietly flew under the radar all season long, if only because he didn't post outstanding numbers on paper, at least over the course of the entire season that is (.904 save percentage). But if you look closer, you'd see how good Paterson was over the last two months of the season when Saginaw really started to make a run up the West standings. In February and March, he posted a .932 and .940 save percentage (respectively) and ended up earning the starting job for the playoffs...where he again played great. Another reason that he's not getting a lot of hype is the style of play he exhibits. Unlike guys like Subban and Matt Murray, he's more of that traditional puck stopping butterfly goalie who relies on good positioning more so than agility and athleticism. In other words, he's not flashy. He challenges shooters well, squares himself off and makes saves look relatively easy. His rebound control really improved over the course of the season too. Like any young goalie, he'll need to improve his consistency, but I absolutely love how he closed out the season

Great things were expected of Athanasiou this year after a solid rookie season, a good performance at the Ivan Hlinka, and the highlight reel show he put on at the NHL Growth and Development camp. But it was definitely not an easy season for the sophomore winger, as he struggled with consistency and eventually became a healthy scratch at different times during the OHL playoffs. Everyone knows what Athanasiou brings to the table at this point. He's a dynamic offensive player down the wing where he uses his terrific speed and dynamite stick handling ability to create offense while driving hard to the net. But he became a bit of a one trick pony, relying on his speed and speed alone to generate offense. He became predictable and it limited his effectiveness. His shot and play without the puck just didn't develop this year the way many anticipated it would. In particular, the Knights coaching staff was particularly critical about his effort level defensively, and his willingness to engage physically. This cost him some playing time in the playoffs when the Knights opted for more toughness in the lineup. I will say this about Athanasiou though, he's starting to buy into the way the Knights want him to play. When he did draw into the line up in the playoffs, in particular in the Memorial Cup, he looked motivated and was definitely more aggressive away from the puck than he had been in the regular season. With his hands and speed, the sky is the limit if he can figure everything else out.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote