HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft- Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
06-10-2012, 10:10 PM
sickest flow bro

vCash: 500
2013 Draft- Toronto Maple Leafs

Knock on wood here, but if there isn't a season next year due to a lockout the Leafs should have a hell of a chance at the top pick. Anyone remember the formula they used when Pittsburgh got Crosby, something like the worse you did in the past 5 years the more chances you got? Anyways, Nathan Mackinnon would look good as our #1 centre.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I'd rather have a hockey season.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
asdf

Yeah, I can't see Bettman letting the Leafs winning the MacKinnon lottery.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
sickest flow bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I'd rather have a hockey season.
No doubt. I think all of us would, just trying to figure out who would have what odds if it ever happened again.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
so the draft lottery is rigged. Good to know.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:18 PM
sickest flow bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
so the draft lottery is rigged. Good to know.
I have my suspicions also, e.g when Pittsburgh got Crosby and even in the NBA when the Hornets won the Davis lottery.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
I keep thinking if they need to have the same Draft Lottery formart like they did in 2005, assuming next season is cancelled they have to do exactly what they did before. They don't have anything else to go on when getting the Draft order from a season which never happened. However I also have this feeling that the Leafs will be screwed and they won't have the best odds of getting the #1 pick in 2013 because the NHL will change it. Although hopefully next season actually gets played so this is something we don't need to worry about.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:40 PM
jughead42

Quote:
I can't see the Leafs letting the Leafs win the MacKinnon lottery. It's far more likely Burke trades this pick to get Yakupov, Nash, Luongo, Staal, or whoever else out there has the potential to speed up the rebuild so to speak. Book it. Burke needs to make a splash this offseason and he`s not going to be eager to depart with a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft to get it done. Say goodbye to 2013. It is the Leafs way, and always will be.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:44 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

My memory of the last draft lottery didn't actually give the Pens great odds. Nor did anyone else have great odds. Everyone was a longshot, but someone had to win.

Lottery

Quote:
Three balls
Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins

Two balls
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Atlanta Thrashers, Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, Phoenix Coyotes

One ball
Boston Bruins, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals
Pens had a 3 in 48 chance of being the winning ball.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Lots of trade proposals on this board of impatient Leaf fans wanting Burke to deal the 2013 pick away this summer for more instant help, to turn the Leafs around. Like say to Pittsburgh in the Jordan Staal deal.

So it will not be a problem then as another team will be selecting in Toronto's draft spot.

Then in pure Murphy's law justice for Leaf Nation fans the Pens will win the lottery just like they did Crosby draft in the lockout year and get to draft Nathan MacKinnon.

06-10-2012, 10:55 PM
JackBurton

From the NHL website:
Quote:
The Draft Drawing, a weighted lottery system, was used to determine the order of selection for all seven rounds of the Entry Draft. Under the weighted lottery system, the clubs that neither qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons, nor were awarded the first overall selection in each of the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts, had the greatest chance of receiving the first overall selection, 6.3 per cent. These clubs were the Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers.

Ten clubs met one of the seven criteria listed above and had a 4.2% chance of winning the Drawing, while the remaining 16 clubs met more than one of the criteria and had a 2.1% chance.

Forty-eight balls, numbered one through 48, were placed in a lottery machine. Three ball numbers were randomly assigned to each the Penguins, Sabres, Blue Jackets and Rangers; two ball numbers were assigned to the 10 clubs with a 4.2% chance; and one ball number was assigned to the 16 clubs with a 2.1% chance. The first ball expelled determined the winner of the first overall draft pick and it had been assigned to the Penguins.
So, for the 2013 draft (using playoff results from 11/12, 10/11, 09/10 and the 12 (assuming EDM), 11, 10, 09 drafts), the ball distribution would look like this:

Total of 49 balls

One Ball (~2% chance of 1st overall):
LAK VAN SJS CHI PHX DET NSH OTT NYR WSH BOS NJD PHI PIT TBL EDM MTL BUF

Two Balls (~4% chance of 1st overall):
STL NYI COL ANA FLA

Three Balls (~6% chance of 1st overall):
MIN TOR WPG CLB CAR CGY DAL

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Lots of trade proposals on this board of impatient Leaf fans wanting Burke to deal the 2013 pick away this summer for more instant help, to turn the Leafs around. Like say to Pittsburgh in the Jordan Staal deal.

So it will not be a problem then as another team will be selecting in Toronto's draft spot.

Then in pure Murphy's law justice for Leaf Nation fans the Pens will win the lottery just like they did Crosby draft in the lockout year and get to draft Nathan MacKinnon.
It's funny that Murphy's Law only seems to work against the Leafs. The Varlamov to Colorado pick was looking pretty stupid, but somehow the Avs dodged a huge bullet and didn't even give up a top 10 pick...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

The best part is, we don't need first overall. This draft is full of top end forwards. If only this draft were this year, at 5 we would be assured a great forward. Mackinnon, Monhanan, Lazar, Duclair, Shinkaruk, Drouin, Barkov all look amazing.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's funny that Murphy's Law only seems to work against the Leafs. The Varlamov to Colorado pick was looking pretty stupid, but somehow the Avs dodged a huge bullet and didn't even give up a top 10 pick...
Its the "Draft Schmaft" Murphy' Leafs destiny law that seals Leafs fate, every time..

Similar to the #4 overall pick in the 1997 draft traded away by Leafs and was used to select goalie Roberto Luongo, who now many fans desire a mere 15 years later to turn the teams fortunes around. Simply keeping and drafting Luongo would have had him here a decade and half earlier.

How about needing Tom Kurvers so badly that Leafs dealt away the pick that was used to draft Norris Trophy winning dman Scott Neidermayer #3 overall in 1991, and that was actual a good outcome as Leafs made more bad trades mid season to avoid the pick being #1 overall and Eric Lindros instead.

Boston wins a Stanley Cup and yet still has a top 10 ranked prospect pool, because Leafs felt the need to prop up another organization with our picks rather than build through the draft themselves due to GM impatience and Murphy's law taking over and doing the rest taking the Leafs to the bottom of the league.

The 2012 and 2013 1st round picks sit precariously now in jeopardy as Leafs head into summer looking for trades to bolster the struggle team for next year. Then we can all sit back and hear the GM echo out those infamous words again that "July 1st is our entry draft" for Leaf Nation.

Rinse repeat.. "Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

Last edited by Mess: 06-10-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Come on...if the draft lottery is rigged, why has the same tundra team picked first the last 3 years ago, and why did they get to win it this year?

I think whoever we pick this year (Galchenyuk or Grigorenko, and I might be in the minority that prefers Grigorenko; higher-end upside) has a chance to be a #1 center. In 2013 I would prefer a playoff team (or a hockey season in general), but wouldn't be upset at adding a big, defensively responsible #2 guy (and no...at least until we know where the pick is, I do not want to trade it for Jordan Staal).

And as many have said; we have to keep our first-round picks.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:17 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
From the NHL website:

So, for the 2013 draft (using playoff results from 11/12, 10/11, 09/10 and the 12 (assuming EDM), 11, 10, 09 drafts), the ball distribution would look like this:

Total of 49 balls

STL NYI COL ANA FLA

Thanks for that, was wondering myself in case a lockout happens...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
From the NHL website:

Total of 49 balls

STL NYI COL ANA FLA

However the catch being that there would have to be a year long strike and a full season lost, otherwise the draft proceeds based on reverse standings order as per usual.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
DeputyMcLaren

Let's just hope theres a season next year. I will go mad and not know what to do with myself if theres another lock out.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

hes not even a center. besides our odds would probably be better if we actually play the season

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:41 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
The best part is, we don't need first overall. This draft is full of top end forwards. If only this draft were this year, at 5 we would be assured a great forward. Mackinnon, Monhanan, Lazar, Duclair, Shinkaruk, Drouin, Barkov all look amazing.
and to add on I seen Seth Jones playing at U18 and he looked unreal. heard people say he has the potential to be the best Dmen in the league. this is definitely a draft I really hope we don't trade our top pick from.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:43 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
hes not even a center. besides our odds would probably be better if we actually play the season
I've had limited viewing of Mackinnon but some say he plays more like a winger but he currently plays Center for Halifax

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstache View Post
Let's just hope theres a season next year. I will go mad and not know what to do with myself if theres another lock out.
Last time there was a lockout my London Knights thankfully had an unreal team so I was able to settle to junior hockey instead. They got quite a bit of media coverage all year in our paper. I really hope there is an NHL season still, I will be pissed if there isn't, but even if there is, some of my attention will be diverted to the Knights again next year, looks to be a good team.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I've had limited viewing of Mackinnon but some say he plays more like a winger but he currently plays Center for Halifax
Its like calling Pat Kane or Pat Sharp centres because Chicago tried everything they could to have two solid lines, and all they were missing was a second line center.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:06 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Getting Galchenyuk this year, and Barkov next year, would have this team on the fast track.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:16 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

How about we play and earn the 30th overall pick.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote