HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs may lose out on Nash, Luongo and Schultz

Old
06-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Winreims

vCash: 500
Sad to say I don't see the Leafs getting either Nash or Parise. Not even Luongo, despite us arguably having the most need for starting goalie in the NHL.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Paying Nash 7.8/year and giving up the farm would be stupid.

Would only take luongo if Canucks took Komi straight up.

Shultz would be nice but doubtful.
Nobody wants to play here. What don't people understand ? Oh wait kessel did I guess.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Kessel is an elite talent who wa due to see a bump in his stats. The year previous I thought he didn't get nearly enough credit for getting 32 goals, 64 points with a horrible Bozak and Joey Crabb. That's just terrific with the crap he played with. More impressive than player getting 80+ points with stars on their lines.
You are right, I think. All things considered, I think You could say Nash and Kessel are teh 11th and 12-best wingers in the league. And I'm not one to overrate my Leafs.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You are right, I think. All things considered, I think You could say Nash and Kessel are teh 11th and 12-best wingers in the league. And I'm not one to overrate my Leafs.
What's your top 10?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:52 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Or...

Nash to NYR

Schultz to Vancouver

Luongo to Florida

Bobby Ryan to Philly

Doan to Montreal

Parise to Pitt

Suter to Carolina

and the Leafs will end up with Dustin Penner @ 4mill/year
-----------------------------------------------------

There's the real threat that the Leafs could very well be one of the worst teams in the league next year, not due to anything other then lack of improvement and other teams making large additions to their roster by not being afraid of term and dollars.

This is the most likely scenario because it's what has been the most consistent result over the last 5 years.
because on all fronts (trade or free agency) we're never willing to overpay. Besides the Kessel deal, Burke hasn't displayed an ounce of balls. That's the reason why we're a perennial loser. Nothing else.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:01 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Or...

Nash to NYR

Schultz to Vancouver

Luongo to Florida

Bobby Ryan to Philly

Doan to Montreal

Parise to Pitt

Suter to Carolina

There's the real threat that the Leafs could very well be one of the worst teams in the league next year, not due to anything other then lack of improvement and other teams making large additions to their roster by not being afraid of term and dollars.

This is the most likely scenario because it's what has been the most consistent result over the last 5 years.
Don't let me interrupt your pity party, but maybe Reimer gets healthy and plays like he did before being injured. Maybe all the "kids" that so many of you longed for, actually play up to expectations. Mabe Rielly comes in and pulls a Gardiner. There are a lot of things that could happen and contrary to popular belief, some of them could be good.
Hell, a lot of people don't want Luongo because of a contract, no matter that he would clearly be an upgrade. I'm beginning to think people want the team to fail, just so they can keep complaining.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:13 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

if i was a player i wouldn't want to come to Toronto either. have idiots like simmonds and cox write articles about me, these media idiots need to go and maybe we will get a big fish one of these days.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:16 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Or...

Nash to NYR

Schultz to Vancouver

Luongo to Florida

Bobby Ryan to Philly

Doan to Montreal

Parise to Pitt

Suter to Carolina

saving money against the cap is a good thing...... NYR should be stuck with Gomez and Drury but somehow got rid of there contracts. Once Toronto gets rid of LACK then we will be better.

and paying out the ass is a terrible idea, Burke has the right idea through trades, get a player at whatever salary and we now have the depth to do that.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
LeafsTFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
because on all fronts (trade or free agency) we're never willing to overpay. Besides the Kessel deal, Burke hasn't displayed an ounce of balls.
So we should overpay for players now? As soon as Burke does that, people would call him out for overpaying. So should we overpay or not? People are never happy

LeafsTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Turk Broda

Quote:
Or...

Nash to NYR

Schultz to Vancouver

Luongo to Florida

Bobby Ryan to Philly

Doan to Montreal

Parise to Pitt

Suter to Carolina

I think you mean Moen. The Habs have no chance at signing Shane Doan. The Leafs have as much of a chance as they do. And he's not coming here either. Likely staying in Pheonix or signing with a contender like Detroit.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Leafs will sign Marty Brodeur

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
What's your top 10?
roughly speaking, Ovechkin, Parise, Zetterberg, Iginla, Kovalchuk, St. Louis, Sedin, Vanek, Hossa, Gaborik. I might be forgetting one or two.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
roughly speaking, Ovechkin, Parise, Zetterberg, Iginla, Kovalchuk, St. Louis, Sedin, Vanek, Hossa, Gaborik. I might be forgetting one or two.
Overall Kessel > Gaborik. The injuries.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Sad to say I don't see the Leafs getting either Nash or Parise. Not even Luongo, despite us arguably having the most need for starting goalie in the NHL.
ya think ?we.ve sunk so low we dont even have eklund rumors floating around ...heads are gonna roll .new board takes over july 15 th?

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:39 PM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Leafs will sign Marty Brodeur
I'd be happy with just that signing and nothing else.....

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Beaninfritz

I'm thinking there might be a trade for Nash.
Seriously. It might be part of the reason why Burke bought out Armstrong. Freeing up an extra $2mil (now $3mil thanks to montreal) in cap space.

As usual, depth at center would be lacking. But our top two lines would consist of
(BCL = Bozak/Connolly/Lombardi)
Lupul-BCL-Kessel
VanRiems-Grabo-Nash

That right there would be much more of a 1a/1b scenario than what we've had in the past. In return to Columbus, yeah, say goodbye to Kadri, Kulemin, Mac, Franson, picks, hell, really whatever they'd want (I'd honestly throw in Gardiner on this one. I know, most people here would kill me for saying that, but I would do this). Given how the cap situation is right now, and the fact our farm team is looking decent, filling up some cap space, and selling part of the farm to make this happen would be worth it.

Despite not having a #1 C, when those lines would be on their game, they would give the opposition nightmares.

Beaninfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
trellaine201

Dreaming? We would not only be selling the farm but on the hook for a bloated contract. Not saying Nash isn't good but it's not the right time unfortunately.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Beaninfritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Dreaming? We would not only be selling the farm but on the hook for a bloated contract. Not saying Nash isn't good but it's not the right time unfortunately.
So when is the right time? 5 seasons from now? 10? It amazes me how people have overlooked the fact the cap went up almost 6 million. Yeah, his 7.8 contract LAST season would've been problematic. Now? It's really not a problem. And when you look at the fact that Connolly, Lombardi, and MacArthur are coming off the books after the 2012-2013 season, that right there is 11.5 million in cap opening up.

It's insane, it's like we have to have $10mil in cap space to start the season in case we have to bail out other teams that are having money/personnel problems. We've been doing that, and we've got nothing to show for it.

We can afford him. If it happens, then this summer we would've added a legit all-star right winger, and a potential star left winger.

If no moves happen in terms of goaltending because of it, I'd be okay with that. There's next off-season when more "trial" players come off the books, giving the management more money to use on legitimate, proven players.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Perry , Neil

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaninfritz View Post
I'm thinking there might be a trade for Nash.
Seriously. It might be part of the reason why Burke bought out Armstrong. Freeing up an extra $2mil (now $3mil thanks to montreal) in cap space.

As usual, depth at center would be lacking. But our top two lines would consist of
(BCL = Bozak/Connolly/Lombardi)
Lupul-BCL-Kessel
VanRiems-Grabo-Nash

That right there would be much more of a 1a/1b scenario than what we've had in the past. In return to Columbus, yeah, say goodbye to Kadri, Kulemin, Mac, Franson, picks, hell, really whatever they'd want (I'd honestly throw in Gardiner on this one. I know, most people here would kill me for saying that, but I would do this). Given how the cap situation is right now, and the fact our farm team is looking decent, filling up some cap space, and selling part of the farm to make this happen would be worth it.

Despite not having a #1 C, when those lines would be on their game, they would give the opposition nightmares.
an extra $2mil (now $3mil thanks to montreal) in cap space.

HUH??

Old
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Beaninfritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
an extra $2mil (now $3mil thanks to montreal) in cap space.

HUH??
Buying out Armstrong freed up 2 million in cap space. Since Montreal signed him for this year, they take on the 1 million buyout penalty we have for this season.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Mancunian

I think we still have to pay Armstrong and the one million still affects our cap.

Mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Buying out Armstrong freed up 2 million in cap space. Since Montreal signed him for this year, they take on the 1 million buyout penalty we have for this season.
Ah, i'm not sure that the 1m cap hit comes off our books.

I don't recall that happening when Tucker signed with the Avs.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:03 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
ya think ?we.ve sunk so low we dont even have eklund rumors floating around ...heads are gonna roll .new board takes over july 15 th?
Their first move will be to extend Burke for 5 more years.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
number72

Quote:
On a cap adjusted basis because he was an RFA and has a more reasonable salary, I would rank Kessel a little higher. Though when Kessel gets his next contract he will likely sink further down.

Quote:
Also the leafs have the penalty for next season as well.
Him and Tucker are both on the payroll for this and next year.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote