HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Puck Playing Goalies

Old
06-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
Puck Playing Goalies

I have a few questions out there for goalies and skaters a like. When played goalie two years ago or so back in midget, I noticed that it seemed that whenever I played the puck the other goalie did too. I'm pretty decent with the puck, knows where and when to move it and can move it. The other goalies though had almost non-existent puck playing ability. Back then I was known for being able to rush to the blue line or top of the circles to get the puck and shoot it back down the ice, stopping a potential breakaway. These two goalies in particular though never did that, but it seemed when playing against me they tried to "out puck play" me I guess. I guess the question would be does anyone else see this? A good puck playing goalie starts playing the puck a lot and the other goalie who isn't as good tries to as well but ends up costing their team?

Secondly, when I play rec hockey I still play the puck, but not so much rushing out to the blue line now because the collisions can really hurt the other player. Anyways I notice that when I go out to play the puck, everyone seems to just stand around not knowing what to do. It almost seems as if they've never seen a goalie play the puck before I guess this mostly for the rec hockey players out there, what goes through your mind when you see a goalie play the puck and how do you react?

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
I have a few questions out there for goalies and skaters a like. When played goalie two years ago or so back in midget, I noticed that it seemed that whenever I played the puck the other goalie did too. I'm pretty decent with the puck, knows where and when to move it and can move it. The other goalies though had almost non-existent puck playing ability. Back then I was known for being able to rush to the blue line or top of the circles to get the puck and shoot it back down the ice, stopping a potential breakaway. These two goalies in particular though never did that, but it seemed when playing against me they tried to "out puck play" me I guess. I guess the question would be does anyone else see this? A good puck playing goalie starts playing the puck a lot and the other goalie who isn't as good tries to as well but ends up costing their team?

Secondly, when I play rec hockey I still play the puck, but not so much rushing out to the blue line now because the collisions can really hurt the other player. Anyways I notice that when I go out to play the puck, everyone seems to just stand around not knowing what to do. It almost seems as if they've never seen a goalie play the puck before I guess this mostly for the rec hockey players out there, what goes through your mind when you see a goalie play the puck and how do you react?
I've been fortunate over the years to play with two goalies that play the puck extremely well. It actually is tough to get used to at first but once a player does it's extremely useful especially playing D. It's all about developing that communication and understanding of what the goalie is trying to do and working off of him like he's just another player.

I used to love not having to beat another guy out in a foot race to the corner for the puck, instead while he is racing to the corner I'm setting up to receive a breakout pass to then getting that puck up to the forwards on my team. It really threw the other team off.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Even if the goalie chips it out I like that better than if he just leaves it to go in the corner. Easier to fight for it in the neutral zone than let them set up the forecheck.

Few goalies seem to be able to move the puck. Often they hesitate when coming out and second guess themselves and make bad decisions.

I think it would be worthwhile to play pickup and be aggressive playing the puck, learn from your mistakes, and then carry that over into competitive games.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Even if the goalie chips it out I like that better than if he just leaves it to go in the corner. Easier to fight for it in the neutral zone than let them set up the forecheck.

Few goalies seem to be able to move the puck. Often they hesitate when coming out and second guess themselves and make bad decisions.

I think it would be worthwhile to play pickup and be aggressive playing the puck, learn from your mistakes, and then carry that over into competitive games.
The reason why few goalies seem to be able to move the puck is because it's very difficult. Putting the glove and blocker aside, most goalies end up playing the puck opposite the way they would if they were playing out, which makes it even harder given the equipment we are wearing.

There are plenty of professional goalies who struggle with moving the puck so it's not all that hard to understand why so many beerleaguers look foolish (present company included) when they try to play the puck. For me, if there is any chance of pressure from an opposing player I'll let the puck go into the corner and let my dman get it. I'm there to stop the puck, not play it.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:05 AM
AIREAYE

I think communication between skater and goalie is key. A simple shout of 'up the boards' or 'leave it' or 'play it' (and let the tender decide) seems to always work.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:05 AM
goalie29

Quote:
Anyways I notice that when I go out to play the puck, everyone seems to just stand around not knowing what to do. It almost seems as if they've never seen a goalie play the puck before
My take on it is that either
(1) they aren't sure if you're going to do anything good with it (like the posters above said, lots of goalies aren't that handy, because it's hard. I'm lucky in that I'm a regular hand goalie who shoots left when I play out, so it's a bit easier for me than for some.),

or (2) they don't want to run you over, because it's rec, so they stand back and let you.

I for one appreciate #2. In response I will come out to play the puck, but only if it isn't going to obviously set up a potential collision.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
(1) they aren't sure if you're going to do anything good with it (like the posters above said, lots of goalies aren't that handy, because it's hard. I'm lucky in that I'm a regular hand goalie who shoots left when I play out, so it's a bit easier for me than for some.),

or (2) they don't want to run you over, because it's rec, so they stand back and let you.

I for one appreciate #2. In response I will come out to play the puck, but only if it isn't going to obviously set up a potential collision.
The players standing around I was referring too are my own. The other team usually tries to stick check me.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post

1. because my puck handling skills are either good or awful (I swear there no in between), this is usually the case for my two teams. I'll usually prefer to stop the puck and set up my dman to easily take it off of me and break out. But sometimes, they just freeze to see what I'll do.

2. I do appreciate number 2, but since I played D for years before jumping into tending, I'm not afraid of a little body checking.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
1. because my puck handling skills are either good or awful (I swear there no in between), this is usually the case for my two teams. I'll usually prefer to stop the puck and set up my dman to easily take it off of me and break out. But sometimes, they just freeze to see what I'll do.

2. I do appreciate number 2, but since I played D for years before jumping into tending, I'm not afraid of a little body checking.
Last person that ran me over, it was back in midget, received a slash across the back for supermanning me. I'm more afraid of hurting someone else with a collision then I am me. I'm an above average goalie in size and quite solid. Not to mention I'm injury ********. A slap shot to the unprotected back of my head couldn't even give me a concussion. Nice try other team.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Ethereal Whisper
La Reine des Neiges

vCash: 464
When I play the puck it's for one of four reasons:

1) Pass
2) Clear
3) Set
4) Stall

#4 is the most common reason. If one of my defenders will get to the puck before an attacker, I'll stay in my crease. Often stalling lets the opposition set up the forecheck anyway but if I did the right thing with the puck there will simply be more bodies in the defensive zone. Usually I pick the puck up around the goal line and boards, don't have a lane to clear up the boards and don't want to pass in front of my own empty net so I dump it around the end boards.

I do like to play the puck a lot, but I don't necessarily notice that when I do, that the goalie down on the other side tries to as well. It's mostly the same guys each week at the sessions I go to, and none of the other goalies are really good puck handlers.

Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:48 AM
GrafSk8r12

Quote:

The goalie on my team has phenomenal puckhandling skills. It's such a treat to watch him toedrag the other team and then start the breakout. This really comes in handy when the puck is dumped in, he chases it down, and then fires it up the ice. This has led to numerous breakaways and odd man rushes when the other team is in the middle of a line change. When he goes out to play the puck, our defensemen get out of the way, and each forward tries to get open in the neutral zone so he has options.

GrafSk8r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:44 AM
pfloyd75

I don't have the greatest puckhandling skills as a goalie (play goalie normal handed but I shoot right handed when I skate out) but I am pretty aggressive. If I see that the opposing team's forward is going to beat my D-Man to a puck, I will play it and either try to put it up the boards to a teammate or, if that is not a good option, I will sling it around the boards behind my own net to stall and give my team more time to get back into our own zone.

This has backfired once... or twice... or a few times over the years with embarrassing results. BUT, it has also resulted in me catching the opposing team on a shift change a time or two and springing a forward on a breakaway goal.

More often than not, it just results in me preventing the opposing team from setting up an easy forecheck or getting an uncontested scoring chance.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Hank4Hart

i'd stay in my net all game even if i was playing against marty brodeur puck handling on the other end

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote