HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Puck handling

Old
06-24-2012, 01:27 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Puck handling

It feels like a lot of the times I puck handle, the puck slides a little too quickly. A lot of the times my blade would just end up landing on top of the puck, or just flat out getting there late and missing the puck.

Kinda frustrated right now. Not sure if I'm suppose to use my bottom hand to guide my stick slightly quicker or focus solely on using my top hand to get the blade there quickly.

Happens a bit less on ice, more with green biscuits and pro pucks I've been practicing on dryland.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:33 AM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Puck handling is mostly wrists, sounds like you may be pushing it with your forearms and therefore putting too much on it. It's all practice though... even off the ice get a smooth piece of plywood or plastic board and grab your stick and gloves and stick handle. Build up your wrist strength and your puck handling skill

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Puck handling is mostly wrists, sounds like you may be pushing it with your forearms and therefore putting too much on it. It's all practice though... even off the ice get a smooth piece of plywood or plastic board and grab your stick and gloves and stick handle. Build up your wrist strength and your puck handling skill
My palm (under my thumb) is dying from soreness right now, is that a sign I'm doing it right?

Old
06-28-2012, 07:53 PM
judge301

Honestly dude, I think you are seriously over thinking the game. Just get out there and play.... Alot..... I'm reading a bunch of the posts here in the Rink threads and you ask so many questions... If all that is going through your mind every time you lace up you wouldn't be able to focus on controlling or shooting the puck. Just get on the ice and play. Alot of it will be like a golf swing where if you over complicate every aspect of the technical side you handicap yourself. Just go practice lots. Most things will come natural if you are so gifted. If not, just keep practicing.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:19 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Just get a ball or puck and stick handle whenever you get a chance, bored, watching tv, etc. Start simple, slow, smooth. Add in obstacles to move the puck around. Build up speed.

Don't think too much about the fine details. Just make sure you keep your hands away from your body so your stick has room to move. And keep your bottom hand loose so your top hand is the one controlling the puck. Bottom hand should be able to slide up and down the shaft and support the stick.

The big thing that will help is aimply practice time and as many reps as you can get in. The more you do, the more "natural" it will feel. It's your hands that need to learn what todo, not your head.

I'm bad that way too. I probably spend more time thinking about how to get better than actually just picking up a stick and just doing.

Last edited by nullterm: 06-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I'm bad that way too. I probably spend more time thinking about how to get better than actually just picking up a stick and just doing.
So true

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I can't sustain those "max speed" puck handling practices for too long. My top hand's palm just die out really fast. It's gotten considerably stronger since I started hockey 9 months ago, but still not quite enough.

Practicing in Asia sucks. Not a lot of places to practice and I can't even find a place where I can lay down a slab of smooth whatever to use as practice ice.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
rinkrat22

if your hands are getting tired you might want to work on your hand/forearm/grip strength.

As the boys already said quit thinking so much. it will come it just takes a little time.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
TUCKER 06

keep your top hand's elbow up to ensure the entire blade of your stick is on the ice surface while stick handling.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote