HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part X: Lead up to FA day

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Martin played 23:00 a game this past season, of which more than 1:45 was spent on both PK and PP. He played all three disciplines and ended up +9. How that supports your theory I do not know.
I did see that, but I guess it's less about that and more about the reality of how bad the Pens blueline is.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
MisterD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nedeff View Post
I find it hilarious how one bad year can essentially mean that particular player is complete garbage and can't have a bounce back season. I guess we should just Press Box Hemsky for all of next season because one bad season means all the talent he had previous has suddenly vanished and can never be retrieved again.
If PM's contract was more favourable, I'd be more willing to take a risk on him.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Magnus Paajarvi identifies Khabibulin as his mentor, by the way.
Goes a long way to explain his slump last year.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Paralyzer008

Anyone want to elaborate on how the Krueger hiring changes the FA outlook on us? Will we attract more players or will we turn away more players? Will the improved PP give Krueger an offensive flair or will players think we hired the defensive guy from Switzerland and frown?

Just wondering.

Also, this is a historical look at our top six:
Bure-Datsyuk-Mullen
Gartner-(Someone give me a Sam Gagner comparable)-Mogilny

Sick.

We also have Doug Murray in the pipeline (Klefbom)

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 06-27-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 12:13 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Anyone want to elaborate on how the Krueger hiring changes the FA outlook on us? Will we attract more players or will we turn away more players? Will the improved PP give Krueger an offensive flair or will players think we hired the defensive guy from Switzerland and frown?

Just wondering.

Bure-Datsyuk-Mullen

Sick.

you are not bored!!!

Old
06-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:

Just wondering.

Bure-Datsyuk-Mullen

Sick.

Anyone for Daniel Briere?

Old
06-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:

Just wondering.

Bure-Datsyuk-Mullen
Gartner-(Someone give me a Sam Gagner comparable) Craig Conroy-Mogilny

Sick.

that is sick.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:07 AM
40oz

Quote:

Just wondering.

Bure-Datsyuk-Mullen

Sick.

I'm not very good with player comparisons, but Douglas Murray and Klefbom dont really play a similar game.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:45 AM
OF17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I did see that, but I guess it's less about that and more about the reality of how bad the Pens blueline is.
That is definitely true. I do think that the ice time numbers show a definite pulse though. Even at this low point in his career, Martin was still seen to generally be a better option than Orpik, Michalek, and Niskanen during the regular season. During the playoffs, only Letang and Orpik eclipsed him, and Orpik even then by only 9 seconds. Both Orpik and Michalek would, IMO, be upgrades on our top 4, and given his coach used Martin in the same way, I think we can put him in the same category of performance level. He's by no means my first option, but for a cheap option he might not be half bad.

Last edited by OF17: 06-27-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
That is definitely true. I do think that the ice time numbers show a definite pulse though. Even at this low point in his career, Martin was still seen to generally be a better option than Orpik, Michalek, and Niskanen during the regular season. During the playoffs, only Letang and Orpik eclipsed him, and Orpik even then by only 9 seconds. Both Orpik and Michalek would, IMO, be upgrades on our top 4, and given his coach used Martin in the same way, I think we can put him in the same category of performance level. He's by no means my first option, but for a cheap option he might not be half bad.
At $5M/year, he isn't a cheap option.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:48 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Goes a long way to explain his slump last year.
Oh, please.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Pointteen

What do you guys think of trading for Mason Raymond if the price is low. He could be a great person to take over Smyth's role. He's scored 25 in the past. I also find him to be excellent defensively. His pking would come in handy too.

I read on the Main boards that the would be looking for a mid round pick for him. I think he would be a great reclamation project

Old
06-27-2012, 08:26 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
It's probably unrealistic to expect too much too soon, but just listening to Fedun in his latest interview on Oilers site, and seeing those videos of his rehab posted this season... he could be almost back to where he was last year at this time.

Gotta cheer for this guy.. we don't know what he might have done.. maybe we'll get to find out.
Where exactly was he last year? A kid that looked good in pre-season on a horrible defense?

I feel for the kid, but he really isn't the solution to any problem on this team other than a depth d-man that should either be our #8 or in OKC to start the year.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
At $5M/year for several years, you had better do your homework. Martin ain't worth the coin, nor a 2RW in return. He's not garbage, he just has Horcoff Syndrome.
If Martin comes here it isn't costing us a player out of our top 6. It's going to be a Potter+ or Omark+ deal. PIT is looking to dump salary if they move Martin.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Shane doan is going to free agency

Old
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

So I'm sure people have heard that Shane Doan is going to test Free Agency. Now he'll probably sign with a "contender" my guess is Pit, but I would not have a problem with the Oilers tossing 2 to 3 years at Doan at $5M Per

He's EXACTLY what this team needs.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
I've always been a fan of Martin and see he still play that much time, maybe he's got a bit more left then people, including myself, are suggesting.

If he's in and around the 18-20 minute a night mark with this team that has no #1 defenseman/defense pair, it could certainly improve the Oilers blueline.

It would depend on what you can get him for, if it's Peckham + so the Penguins can cut costs for UFAs, then go for it, if it's for significant assets, I would think twice.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Asher

Quote:
So I'm sure people have heard that Shane Doan is going to test Free Agency. Now he'll probably sign with a "contender" my guess is Pit, but I would not have a problem with the Oilers tossing 2 to 3 years at Doan at $5M Per

He's EXACTLY what this team needs.
Just my opinion but I don't think Doan leaves the southwest. One of the cali teams probably has the best shot.

P.S. I don't see the Oilers tendering an offer.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
doan should have been here 15 years ago, so it is only fitting that we get him.....................................does this mean we will sign parise too?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Just my opinion but I don't think Doan leaves the southwest. One of the cali teams probably has the best shot.

P.S. I don't see the Oilers tendering an offer.
Really? I see the Oilers tendering an offer to nearly all the big name UFAs, maybe not Parise, but it wouldn't serve them not to.

Plus if he wants to win, right now, Pittsburgh would be the place to go. Imagine Doan - Malkin - Neal

Yikes.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:16 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Doan may technically be a free agent on July 1st, and no doubt teams will be sending him offers, but I'm very confident he'll be a Coyote next year. I think he's just waiting until the ownership issues are finalized and he knows they're going to be staying in Phoenix for sure.

I'd be very shocked to see him sign elsewhere on July 1st, but if he does, I hope it's with us.

06-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Asher

Quote:
Really? I see the Oilers tendering an offer to nearly all the big name UFAs, maybe not Parise, but it wouldn't serve them not to.
I don't. As I like to often say, it's taken me a few years but I think I've finally figured Tambo out (not that I expect anyone to necessarily believe that ). He's trying to improve the team, especially on defense, but Doan is one of those "final piece" type players that I don't think Tambo is interested in right now. If he goes after any forwards I think they'll be of the bottom 6 variety, basically the kind he went after last year but were less than successful.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Petro Points

With a former Swiss coach now the head coach... we should inquire about the price to get Nino Niederriter out of Long Island.
He could be our answer to #2 LW spot and size issues in top 6.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
doan should have been here 15 years ago, so it is only fitting that we get him.....................................does this mean we will sign parise too?
Where does he fit in the lineup? I mean he's not going to push Steve Kelly or Jason Bonsignore out of their spots.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Doan may technically be a free agent on July 1st, and no doubt teams will be sending him offers, but I'm very confident he'll be a Coyote next year. I think he's just waiting until the ownership issues are finalized and he knows they're going to be staying in Phoenix for sure.

I'd be very shocked to see him sign elsewhere on July 1st, but if he does, I hope it's with us.
So he's actually SAID Publicly he's going to TEST Free Agency.

Closed Thread