HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oates named head coach

Old
06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Oates up next on 980.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Vogel mentioned that they'd like at least one experienced presence for an assistant. He threw out the name of Perry Pearn, though he signed with Winnipeg recently. Someone like that.

I wouldn't think they'd want to go back to man-on-man really but you never know.

Last edited by Langway: 06-27-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:17 PM
artilector

You guys picked up on the interesting tidbits from the press-conf, but my overall impression is... Caps reporters suck, lol. Forever satisfied with stock answers. They get a hint of something interesting, and never expand on it. Ugh..

So, not much was revealed. Mildly optimistic:

- importance of "territory" aka tilting the ice
- superstars need coaching
- supposedly good at communication

If he can add those things + helping individual players on top of Hunter's foundation, would be pretty good..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, building on the 'Caps reporters suck' comment, watching the presser, I cringe every time Gormley opens his mouth. Nothing worthwhile comes out, like, ever. And he's so damn awkward when he talks .

Local media outlets: Please, please stop hiring Flyers fans as beat reporters. They're terrible.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Katie Carrera ‏| @kcarrera | McPhee said Jim Johnson is talking to other teams but didn't rule out potential return to #Caps.
Would feel much better if Johnson was back. Him and Oates both seem like smart hockey minds. Something the Caps coaching staff hasn't had the past couple of years.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:50 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Was initially unenthusiastic about Oates as new coach. He was an excellent player and generous, effective set-up man. On the other hand, he also seemed quiet and aloof and not all that well-liked.

The other thing which bugged me was that for the 5th straight time GMGM picked a coach with no NHL head-coaching experience. Seems as if GMGM may be consciously or subconsciously averse to bringing in an established heavyweight who might challenge GMGM's vision or decisions (or challenge for GMGM's job, for that matter.)

On the plus side, apparently Oates is good with PP strategy and prep. The return of a strong PP could be engine for 8's resurgence. Also, without any factual basis to support it, I'm hoping maybe the hiring improves our chances of landing Parise. No idea whether we will go after Parise or not, but supposedly the latter liked Oates.

Finally, i agree with those who pointed out that one's style as a player doesn't predict style of coaching. Hunter as a case in point.

Encouraged by the comments of Halpern, Ovie and Devils players. Hoping it works out. Hoping Oates does 'unleash the offense' a bit.

Sorry to be all over the map, but... Forsberg-wise, is he definitely returning to SWE next year? No chance he joins us right away? By all accounts, he was one of the prospects most ready to make that jump.

Last edited by troyerlaw: 06-27-2012 at 05:56 PM.
troyerlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:55 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Vogel mentioned that they'd like at least one experienced presence for an assistant. He threw out the name of Perry Pearn, though he signed with Winnipeg recently. Someone like that.

I wouldn't think they'd want to go back to man-on-man really but you never know.
FWIW, I'm not advocating for Johnson, just noting I was wondering if the Oates hire meant it was even an option without knowing how that year went with the mess going on in that org and Lawton's power plays (off the ice).

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Wilson was hired by McPhee, and had NHL head coaching experience. He actually addressed it in the presser. Said it's not that they wanted guys with no NHL experience, they just tried to hire the best guys.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:08 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
Sorry to be all over the map, but... Forsberg-wise, is he definitely returning to SWE next year? No chance he joins us right away? By all accounts, he was one of the prospects most ready to make that jump.
He seemed pretty set on at least one more year in Sweden.

Actually, with this guy I almost feel like the more he stays in Sweden, the better. His game looks pretty North-American, so I expect adjustment time should be pretty minimal. So the more he gets to play in a big role and gain confidence, the better. Although.. it's a bit concerning to me that he's playing in Sweden's 2nd league -- you do want him playing with skilled guys, against quality opposition, and I'm not sure about that in a 2nd league. But still, I have a feeling the more he plays in Sweden, the better his career in NA will go.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, building on the 'Caps reporters suck' comment, watching the presser, I cringe every time Gormley opens his mouth. Nothing worthwhile comes out, like, ever. And he's so damn awkward when he talks .

Local media outlets: Please, please stop hiring Flyers fans as beat reporters. They're terrible.
Yep, and his screen presence rivals only mighty Teller (from Penn and Teller show). I just don't get it...

Vladiator16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
bonzilla

GM during the presser ..on hiring the assistant coaches :1 "Adam and I will work on that together"

So maybe JJ stays or is Gm just referring to contracts/$?

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Monty

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
When he was first acquired, he and Tocchet refused to report at first, and we missed the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.

Then there was him running Trevor Linden out of town.

There was the whole not paying attention to/missing/rumored
sleeping during team meetings that resulted in him getting stripped of the Captaincy. In my mind his sons were less forgivable than Jagr's.
This is untrue re Oates. The Caps played the Isles the night of the trade and Oates couldn't get to DC that night. The Caps lost to the Isles 2-0. The next game Oates was in the lineup and scored the game winner in thef 3rd against Ottawa 2-1. The next game Oates and Juneau were wizards playing together on the PP, the team had three PP goals and beat Calgary 6-3. I attended both of Oates first two games as I was a STH but also taped the games for posterity and watched part of them later. They opened his first game telecast showing the Oates name being stitched on a Caps 77 jersey.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:36 PM
txpd

vogel addressed some of this. oates missed game one because he wanted an extra year on his contract. he got it but missed the game. caps lost by 3 goals. to hang that on the one player and in his first game with a new team is questionable.

he was stripped of the c because he asked to be traded.

oates didnt run linden out of town. linden did. linden took much of oates primary ice time and didnt deliver with it. he further didnt want to be playing on the east coast and was desperate to return to vancouver. he was in general unhappy to be in washington.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Dammit.

I was hoping Oates was more a bad ass.

Monty with the Total Recall, impressive.

Oates was just on 106.7, talking up In the face hockey in all zones.

I'll wager Sarge will be exempt from playing that way.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-28-2012 at 09:03 AM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:02 AM
bleedingblue1

Oates talks about how he likes the defensive boring hockey that caps played last year. I hope he is just talking. How do have one of the best players ever offensively and not make the team style play around him?

Is this how Lemiuex, Gretzky, Crosby were treated? What tell Bobby orr don't rush th puck just dump the puck? how stupid is that? I am afraid Caps are destroying a career of someone who is probably once in a life-time player.

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
tycoonheart

If you're talking about the 980 interview he didn't say he liked the defensive boring hockey. He said what he loved about the Caps in the playoffs was how much they played like a team, the commitement and that he wouldn't want to change that commitment. He's already said he wants the Caps to play more like the Kings and the Devils.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
foundhockey

I like what I read here about Oates concerning Ovechkin. I really, really hope these two click.

He's even eager to coach Alex Ovechkin, who hasn't exactly been on the same page as his previous two coaches in Washington at times.

"The physical element of his game is unprecedented. I watched you guys play against Boston last year, and he's the only guy in the league who can take on Chara and Lucic and Seidenberg and have that physical impact," Oates said. "In terms of adding things to his game, I think I can. But he's gotta earn my trust as a coach first, along with the rest of the guys."

From here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7983--nhl.html

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
Oates talks about how he likes the defensive boring hockey that caps played last year. I hope he is just talking. How do have one of the best players ever offensively and not make the team style play around him?
Where are you getting that from? The only thing I've seen is what tycoonheart said.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
Oates talks about how he likes the defensive boring hockey that caps played last year. I hope he is just talking. How do have one of the best players ever offensively and not make the team style play around him?.
its important to listen to every word and comprehend it correctly. anything less than that and you fail to receive the message.

* yes, oates said he like the way the caps defended their net and their commitment as a team to do that.

* he also said that he wants to be "in your face" in all three zones. hunterhockey had mike green dumping the puck into at the red line while leading a 3 on 2 break.

if you listen, you will see that oates is saying that he liked the way the caps competed and he liked their commitment to defense. no where does he say that he liked the restrained offense. what he says is wholely to the positive. remember that he played with dale hunter and respects him. he is not going to contridict #32 directly and publically say hunter was wrong.

thats for mcphee to do, if its done at all

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundhockey View Post
I like what I read here about Oates concerning Ovechkin. I really, really hope these two click.

He's even eager to coach Alex Ovechkin, who hasn't exactly been on the same page as his previous two coaches in Washington at times.

"The physical element of his game is unprecedented. I watched you guys play against Boston last year, and he's the only guy in the league who can take on Chara and Lucic and Seidenberg and have that physical impact," Oates said. "In terms of adding things to his game, I think I can. But he's gotta earn my trust as a coach first, along with the rest of the guys."

From here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7983--nhl.html
The most telling thing is he said Ovi has to earn Oates' trust, not that Oates has to earn Ovi's trust.

To me that's a weee bit telling.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:23 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
The most telling thing is he said Ovi has to earn Oates' trust, not that Oates has to earn Ovi's trust.

To me that's a weee bit telling.
Though a reporter at the conference completely missed that, and went on to ask Oates "well, like you said, you need to earn the players trust, so how do you envision going about it?" Effin Caps reporters, the Brooks Laichs of sports reporting, with some Jeff Schultz mixed in.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Langway
Intangibles

So GMGM on EITM said that he didn't care for man-on-man and being so passive under HunterHockey. He even recommended changes but said that was how Hunter was comfortable coaching. I guess he wasn't the all-controlling hand after all.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
So GMGM on EITM said that he didn't care for man-on-man and being so passive under HunterHockey. He even recommended changes but said that was how Hunter was comfortable coaching. I guess he wasn't the all-controlling hand after all.
Or he's just saying that now to disguise and deceive. If we don't think he's controlling everything, he can continue his nefarious scheme!

Reading a little bit deeper, that sounds an awful lot like he does actually have a vision for the roster. And that his vision didn't end up matching Hunter's coaching style.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Don't think Hunter was the type of coach that would listen to GMGM anyway. I think McPhee definitely had a huge role in making Bruce turn this team into a more defensive team though.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Lets blame the guy that is gone, and have no responsibility!

If it was a bad idea to run man or to trap, or George didn't like it because it didn't mesh with the perfect playoff roster he assembled a year ago, why in the world did he sit back? Why not hire a coach that shares his vision of how best use his guys?

Because he insisted on yet another mid-season scramble to get a coach in place.

Getting Brouwer, Hammer, Halpern, Ward... keeping Knuble, Sarge etc... I dunno. George sure looks like he loaded up for more plowing, than racing.

If that was all Dale and George let him have full control of the team, I am wrong.

But as usual, I tend to think the opposite of what tidbits George for no reason volunteers to the media.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote