HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Blues

Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Leafs/Blues

With the Leafs adding JVR to their top they added some badly needed size to the top 6 but it's not enough I think they still need one more big body on that 2nd and i think Stewart could be a target so here is what I propose I don't think it's too bad actually.

To Blues Clarke Macarthur + either Cody Franson Or Carl Gunnarsson

To Leafs Chris Stewart + 2013 2nd round pick

Wh the Leafs do it they add another big body to the top 6 and all but complete the wing position on the top 2 lines. add another solid pick to the draft pick pile

The Blues do it because they get a player that has proven he can play in the top 6 and actually outscored stewart last year and their choice of either gunnar or Franson both solid young D.

Leafs new top 6

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel

JVR-Grabovoski-Stewart

Gotta love that 2nd line

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
WhatASaveDave

i love it. I'd still do it if they took out the second round pick

WhatASaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
And the Blues turn it down once again. This same offer is proposed weekly.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Blues are pretty stacked on wing, that's the only reason we'd even contemplate trading Stewart. So Mcarther is pretty redundant. Not sure why we have our 2nd rounder in there at all. If a deal did go down I'd hope it would be something like Gunnarson and a 2nd for Stewart and a late pick. I'd much rather hold onto Stewart though.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I don't really see how this proposal improves the Blues. Even if the value is close, I don't see any reason they do this.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Blues are pretty stacked on wing, that's the only reason we'd even contemplate trading Stewart. So Mcarther is pretty redundant. Not sure why we have our 2nd rounder in there at all. If a deal did go down I'd hope it would be something like Gunnarson and a 2nd for Stewart and a late pick. I'd much rather hold onto Stewart though.
Stewart isn't worth Gunner + a 2nd rounder.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Boondock

I'm wondering if the Blues would (and Leafs for that matter) would consider Gunnarsson and Frattin for Stewart and Fairchild.

I see this as

Stewart>Gunnar
Frattin>Fairchild

Stewart becomes a top 6 winger for TO, Frattin fits into the 3rd line for the Blues. Gunnarsson would probably become the Blues best LH D, but definitely top 4 ahead of Cole or Russell. Fairchild gives the Leafs a D replacement, he had a pretty solid first season in pro hockey with 8 goals, 34 points in 68 games in the AHL, which would have made him the highest scoring blueliner on the Marlies.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
Stewart isn't worth Gunner + a 2nd rounder.
The Blues don't want to trade Stewart. Gunner is a middle pairing defenseman something the Blues don't need. Really there is no deal to be made between St Louis and Toronto.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I'm wondering if the Blues would (and Leafs for that matter) would consider Gunnarsson and Frattin for Stewart and Fairchild.

I see this as

Stewart>Gunnar
Frattin>Fairchild

Stewart becomes a top 6 winger for TO, Frattin fits into the 3rd line for the Blues. Gunnarsson would probably become the Blues best LH D, but definitely top 4 ahead of Cole or Russell. Fairchild gives the Leafs a D replacement, he had a pretty solid first season in pro hockey with 8 goals, 34 points in 68 games in the AHL, which would have made him the highest scoring blueliner on the Marlies.
The Blues don't need a top 4 defenseman. The Blues need a top pairing LH defenseman. Something Gunner is not. Personally I would rather go into the season with Cole and give him the chance to succeed. Gunner is just not the player we need. Stewart's value is currently low if he regains form he is work a hell of a lot more then Gunner.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Gunnarson + a 3rd is fair imo for Stewart.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
lopes66

I would agree on something close to that, the Blue's don't need any more wingers, they have enough. All they really need is defense.

I would love to see Stewart in a Leafs jersey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Gunnarson + a 3rd is fair imo for Stewart.

lopes66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:36 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:

I see this as

Stewart>Gunnar
Frattin>Fairchild

I'll be honest and say that I don't know much about Matt Frattin but how do you know he fits into our 3rd line? Here is our forward depth, without Stewart.

Mcdonald
Backes
Steen
Oshie
Perron
Berglund
Tarasenko
D-Agastini
Schwartz
Sobotka
Crombeen
Reaves

Does Frattin really add anything to our forward group that we don't already have?

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The Blues don't need a top 4 defenseman. The Blues need a top pairing LH defenseman. Something Gunner is not. Personally I would rather go into the season with Cole and give him the chance to succeed. Gunner is just not the player we need. Stewart's value is currently low if he regains form he is work a hell of a lot more then Gunner.
He is a LH defenseman, and would be good if Petro went back to the right side.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:38 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
The Blues don't want to trade Stewart. Gunner is a middle pairing defenseman something the Blues don't need. Really there is no deal to be made between St Louis and Toronto.
That's nice, my point still stands.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:

I see this as

Stewart>Gunnar
Frattin>Fairchild

Leafs probably don't want a D replacement.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:40 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
I'll be honest and say that I don't know much about Matt Frattin but how do you know he fits into our 3rd line? Here is our forward depth, without Stewart.

Mcdonald
Backes
Steen
Oshie
Perron
Berglund
Tarasenko
D-Agastini
Schwartz
Sobotka
Crombeen
Reaves

Does Frattin really add anything to our forward group that we don't already have?
Frattin is better than Sobotka, Crombeen and Reaves for sure, maybe D'Agostini. He also has more NHL experience than Schwartz and Tarasenko and he has a great shot and is good physically.

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
He is a LH defenseman, and would be good if Petro went back to the right side.
The Blues have Cole who if given the chance can perform equally to Gunnerson. The Blues need a TOP PAIRING LH Defenseman. The Blues do not need to give up assets for a middle pairing guy. Pietrangelo plays the right side so I don't really get where the if he went back to right. Currently our RH defenseman are Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and Polak. Our LH Defenseman are Jackman, Cole, and Russell. Gunner may be a slight up grade on Cole or Russell but he's not enough to trade Stewart for. And like I said I would prefer to go with Cole then trade for Gunner.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:48 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
Frattin is better than Sobotka, Crombeen and Reaves for sure, maybe D'Agostini. He also has more NHL experience than Schwartz and Tarasenko and he has a great shot and is good physically.
I personally do not think Frattin is better then Sobotka. Reaves is a totally different player as he is an enforcer that can also hit and play a physical grinder game with some skill also. Frattin would not be a replacement for Reaves. Sobotka is good at faceoffs so that's a dimension that Frattin does not have. The players you are comparing him to are pretty much our 4th liners so he's really not a player that hold any value to use in a trade at all.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Boondock

Quote:
To be honest I don't really have a vested interest in either team, but I could definitely see Gunnar playing top pairing with AP during 5 on 5 and being a first pairing PK guy. I get that the Blues would prefer a top pairing LHD, but top pairing guys cost a lot more then Stewart.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
To be honest I don't really have a vested interest in either team, but I could definitely see Gunnar playing top pairing with AP during 5 on 5 and being a first pairing PK guy. I get that the Blues would prefer a top pairing LHD, but top pairing guys cost a lot more then Stewart.
Top pairing Dmen are typically not traded unless there is a money issue. Regardless of which side they play.

The problem with Gunnar is that he isn't a step up for the Blues on the left side. (He has more experience then Cole, but upside maybe less). There are also UFA that wouldn't cost assets to get.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Cole can play that role without us trading Stewart. Just because the Blues IMO mishandled Cole this past season does not mean the gap is as large as people may think between him and Gunner. Personally I think Cole is the more Talented and skilled of the two players he just needs discipline and to be more consistent. Something that could come from just playing everyday instead of playing as a fill in guy. IMO Gunnerson is not an upgrade on Cole from what I have seen. So why would we trade for a player that is a lateral to just a slight upgrade.

Like I said Stewart could return to his past form. Then if Cole is not playing up to standards we could trade Stewart for a much better defenseman then Gunner. We have nothing to lose by going with Cole and keeping Stewart. Just the season before last Leafs fans were ready to give away Gunner. It was just this past season that he became consistent. Really there is almost as much risk in Gunner as there is in going with Cole.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Corn Baller

Quote:
The Blues have Cole who if given the chance can perform equally to Gunnerson.... Gunner may be a slight up grade on Cole or Russell but he's not enough to trade Stewart for. And like I said I would prefer to go with Cole then trade for Gunner.
Frankly, I think Cole is likely a touch better than Gunnarson when it comes down to it. Their point totals per game last season were nearly identical, with Cole playing 4 minutes less per game. Cole is also a much more physical player. There's no real upside for the Blues here.

Corn Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Boondock

Quote:

Mcdonald
Backes
Steen
Oshie
Perron
Berglund
Tarasenko
D-Agastini
Schwartz
Sobotka
Crombeen
Reaves

Of coarse nobody knows if a new player will fit onto a new team, but Frattin provides a lot of the skills that a team looks for in a 3rd line winger. He has descent size, skates really well, is very strong on his skates and solid along the boards. I think he has 20 goal - 45 point potential. As for the Blues current group of forwards I think Frattin is an improvement on Reaves, Crombeen and D'Agostini. Schwartz and Tarasenko have way more potential but less NHL experience as well so it's tough to guage their impact yet.

But I'm just throwing around ideas, I'm a Canuck fan who just likes to talk puck so the Blues and Leaf fans have a better idea of what their teams need and what they are looking for - I'm just here for the free food.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
If we aren't getting an upgrade, we aren't making a trade. We do not need to change the roster.

I bet the discussions at the draft were about Schenn and now that ship has sailed.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
This is a bit much. We've talked a deal of Gunnar for Stewart to death.

Gunnar + 2nd for Stewart is the closest thing we can agree on. Even though it is a bit in the leafs favour.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote