HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tyler Bozak

Old
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

vCash: 500
Bozak has a chance to be a great third line C capable of shutting down players and putting 40 or so points. Think Matt Cullen in his prime.

He isn't a 1st line C but he's a solid player to have on your team.

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:42 AM
trickster

Gagner has more top line potential than Bozak, but in reality, Bozak brings as much, if not more, than Gagner does at the moment... Still think we have not seen the best out of Gagner, but we may have seen Bozak's full monty.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGardiner51 View Post
As much as he gets hated, he is a dependable #2 C or a very very good #3 C
How so? He gets top line minutes playing with Kessel and Lupul and Got 47 points last year. Stajan in that situation (but without Lupul and with a less developed Kessel) got 57 points that year between Tor and Calgary and 55 the year before without Kessel to play with. Is Stajan a dependBle #2 C?

Bozak doesnt create much offense at all on his own, he's very dependent on his linemates. He's also pretty average defensively and doesnt have size, so he's not exactly ideal for a 3rd line centre role.

Bozak is one of those misplaced tweener guys, not quite good enough to be a top 6 guy in anything other than a filler/complimentary role, and not good enough defensively to be a 3rd line guy.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:46 AM
93gilmour93

Bozak is a perfect 3rd line center. No need to move him unless its part of a package for a better center. The leafs third line could be Bozak-Kulemin-frattin next year which is alright by me.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingz rule View Post
u have to remember though that his numbers are inflated by playing with kessel and lupul.
That's not entirely fair. He plays with them for a reason, good players play with good players. Bozak had a very solid first season and still posted respectable numbers in his second. This isn't a overly old player either, only 26 and in his 3rd pro season. A guy who can produce when played with good players is valuable even if he isn't driving the results. It's not like you could throw some stiff like say Colin Fraser up with Kessel and Lupul and see him score 47 points.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBoy8 View Post
Thats what us oil fans say about Gagner and all you leafs just hate, when as a matter of fact! Gagner is better than Bozak!
Gagner is better than Bozak but Gagner is underrated. Bozak is what one poster said he was a reasonable enough option for the #2 center slot, or a very solid #3.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
gdg9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
How so? He gets top line minutes playing with Kessel and Lupul and Got 47 points last year. Stajan in that situation (but without Lupul and with a less developed Kessel) got 57 points that year between Tor and Calgary and 55 the year before without Kessel to play with. Is Stajan a dependBle #2 C?
Bozak doesnt create much offense at all on his own, he's very dependent on his linemates. He's also pretty average defensively and doesnt have size, so he's not exactly ideal for a 3rd line centre role.

Bozak is one of those misplaced tweener guys, not quite good enough to be a top 6 guy in anything other than a filler/complimentary role, and not good enough defensively to be a 3rd line guy.
Well Stajan was the centerpiece of the package that got us Phaneuf and Aulie

gdg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Wouldn't trade him for less than a 2nd rounder, and I'd rather just keep him for the 3rd line.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

If Sam Gagner is your 2nd line centre, you're likely not a playoff team. He's NOT an ideal 3rd liner.

Bozak is a great 3rd line centre and a terrific penalty killer.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

I would say that he's worth a 3rd round pick and maybe a 5th.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Disagree. Bozak plays in the tough areas. Gagner (sam) is a perimeter player.

Gagner has all world skill and only manages to be as good as he is. Thats the point. The heart just aint there. Gagner may be more skilled, but if im building a contender i take Bozak. Bozak is a convertible multi use player. He can sub in efficiently on the top lines and bottom lines. He can be used on the PP and PK. Gagner is a top 6 player that just aint good enough to contribute to a stanley cup winning team. One trick pony thats trick aint that good.

Bozak does what he can with what he has. Made a career from working hard and not giving up. Kid battles and makes the best out of any situation.

I hate the amount of hate Bozak gets on this forum.
Also Bozak is much, much better on face-offs, which allows him to play anywhere in the top or bottom 6.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:07 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Also Bozak is much, much better on face-offs, which allows him to play anywhere in the top or bottom 6.
Also agree.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
What is his status? I heard he was back skating but that's a far cry from playing professional hockey.
He's back and he's skating and working out and he said he's feeling all right, he should be ready for the training camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
He went to University of Denver and has connections with the Avs organization.

Very close friends with Paul Stastny.

If a time comes when they move one of those top 3 centres, Bozak will be an option.

Whether through trade or free agency.

I think Dallas is more likely. Their GM loves Bozak.
We have no space in our lineup for him and Staz, Duchene and O'Reilly aren't going anywhere.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Yosho
Logic

Bozak went from severely overrated to incredibly underrated pretty damn quickly.

I still like the guy; he's got all the tools to be an effective 2nd/3rd Line Center. People seem to overlook his great on-ice vision and hockey sense.

It's not the best idea to get a value on Bozak right now, as it's clear he's really just a stop-gap 1C on the Leafs. Let him get into a comfortable, more effective role and watch his value climb.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Disagree. Bozak plays in the tough areas. Gagner (sam) is a perimeter player.
Thats such a blatant lie i don't even know what to say. Gagner is gritty and goes to the net alot. You are so full of **** its unreal. Gagner is a playmaker so he does make plays off the half wall, but he's not shy about contact.

Quote:
Gagner has all world skill and only manages to be as good as he is. Thats the point. The heart just aint there.
Gagner is skilled no doubt but it isn't "all world". He's still developing physically as evidenced by the strides he took in his skating and strength. He's also still acumulating experience, he's 22 ffs. For a guy with no heart it's rather shocking and impressive that only 7 younger centers scored more than him last season with 4 of them being the first centers taken of the last 4 draft classes. Stepan had a near identical ppg, Henrique who was up for the Calder ffs scored more centering Parise and Kovalchuk, and O'Reilly had an unreal year and should be a top flight 2way center for at least a decade. Gagner is keeping terrific company. This idea that he has no heart is honestly one of the most brutaly inaccurate things i have ever heard on HF. Even the Oiler fans who don't like him wouldn't say that. Most consider his heart his greatest attribute.

Quote:
Gagner may be more skilled, but if im building a contender i take Bozak. Bozak is a convertible multi use player. He can sub in efficiently on the top lines and bottom lines. He can be used on the PP and PK. Gagner is a top 6 player that just aint good enough to contribute to a stanley cup winning team. One trick pony thats trick aint that good.
If your doing things like taking Bozak over Gagner you ain't building a contender.

Quote:
Bozak does what he can with what he has. Made a career from working hard and not giving up. Kid battles and makes the best out of any situation.

I hate the amount of hate Bozak gets on this forum.
I agree with this, Bozak is very much undervalued, i think playing for the Leafs has alot to do with it. Just as Gagner playing with the Oilers sees him underrated so much. I don't think there is any doubt that the Oilers and Leafs are the two most hated franchises on the trade boards here, so much so that i a person who despises the Leafs is constantly defending them from the waves of BS they recieve. We've seen how brutal the HF bias tends to undervalue players, the Schenn trade being a perfect example.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Being 47% in the dot does not inhibit your coach from using you anywhere. Fraser for example is a worse faceoff man and Sutter said "he could use him anywhere and against anyone". Briere is a worse faceoff man and he seems to be an alright center. If you actually think losing 6 more faceoffs than you win for every 100 is a big deal i think you need to re-evaluate the importance of particular skills in hockey. Also most young centrs are not good in the dot, and Gagner is clearly still developing. Teams make trades with the future in mind and considering Gagners development in the dot he should be considered a strong future option, which isn't to say he's ever going to be a regular Jarret Stoll.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:33 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Bozak's gotten pretty underrated around here.

Mainly because moronic Leaf fans jammed the poor guy down everybody's throat in his rookie season and throw him in every trade proposal thinking he has astronomical value.

Bozak has great vision and probably some of the best offensive instincts on our whole team. He is always, ALWAYS in the right spot - his problem however is finish. He flubs on a lot of tap-ins or will try to make an extra pass. Because of this, we don't get to see his shot very often but Bozak has a very good, very accurate, heavy shot. He won't be a top line center or even a full-time #2 center, but Bozak is a very dependable, very versitile player that would look great on any team's third line. He has great speed, good skating, and isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas. His defensive abilities are much better than his god-awful +/- would indicate. Throw him in a line where his role is to play defense first and score second and he'll flourish (ie. a third line). Whoever said Matt Cullen in his prime is pretty bang on.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
questhockey

I think Bozak should warrant a late 1st, early second on a rebuild team. IMO this is type of team he is built for. A guy who can float between 1-3 lines.
He's kinda like John MacDonald was for the Jays. A guy who fills many roles, but not quite good enough to stay full time in top positions.

I could see him helping many teams get through their rebuild stage.

If your team is truly a contender, your top 6 will be way above his skillset, so he would be a 3rd liner, who fills in, if one of your top 6 goes down with injury. That would be only way he cracks top 6 on those teams, as a utility player.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Bozak's gotten pretty underrated around here.

Mainly because moronic Leaf fans jammed the poor guy down everybody's throat in his rookie season and throw him in every trade proposal thinking he has astronomical value.

Bozak has great vision and probably some of the best offensive instincts on our whole team. He is always, ALWAYS in the right spot - his problem however is finish. He flubs on a lot of tap-ins or will try to make an extra pass. Because of this, we don't get to see his shot very often but Bozak has a very good, very accurate, heavy shot. He won't be a top line center or even a full-time #2 center, but Bozak is a very dependable, very versitile player that would look great on any team's third line. He has great speed, good skating, and isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas. His defensive abilities are much better than his god-awful +/- would indicate. Throw him in a line where his role is to play defense first and score second and he'll flourish (ie. a third line). Whoever said Matt Cullen in his prime is pretty bang on.
Bingo.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Sure, we have mucho interest in Bozak.

What would you guys have interest in besides Ott (and the obvious things that I will tell you to go fly a kite about)? Fistric?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:24 AM
questhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post

What would you guys have interest in besides Ott (and the obvious things that I will tell you to go fly a kite about)? Fistric?
conditional First/Second rounder '13??

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
conditional First/Second rounder '13??
No chance. Seriously.

No one wants to move their first for a player. Bozak is worth maybe a mid 2nd TOTAL if Ribeiro can garner a late 2nd and a solid prospect drafted in the 3rd round.

I'd offer you Mark Fistric and a late pick or a low ceiling prospect.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:

Is Fistric a physical beast?

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
Quote:
No chance. Seriously.

No one wants to move their first for a player. Bozak is worth maybe a mid 2nd TOTAL if Ribeiro can garner a late 2nd and a solid prospect drafted in the 3rd round.

I'd offer you Mark Fistric and a late pick or a low ceiling prospect.
Fistric isn't worth anything as the centerpiece of a deal.
No way Toronto goes for that.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Guy Boucher

deleted.

Last edited by Guy Boucher: 06-27-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: nvm
Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote