HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Hyka

Old
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
FlyersCup08

vCash: 500
Tomas Hyka

Is there a reason the Flyers passed on Hyka? Of course he ended up with Flyers West, but he stuck around till the 6th round. Was his year that bad? Led his team in points and +/-, didn't seem like he took a step backwards. Considering it looked like they were thinking about signing him but technicalities prevented that, you would think they would've used a pick on him.

He's probably overrated on these boards, but I really thought Homer was going to snag him if he was a mid-late round pick.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Probably didn't want to look bad by taking him. I don't think it will come back to bite us (although some gems came from pick 171 in the past). He's a slight of frame guy and if he doesn't crack the top 6, he's not playing in the NHL. I just shook my head everytime someone mentioned taking him in the second round. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Jack de la Hoya

A few thoughts:

1) Debate all you want the 7th round pick last year--I think most would agree Hyka would have made more sense than Mathers, but whatever. THey didn't think enough of him to use a late-round pick last year.

2) From what I can tell, he played well this year. Improved for sure. But he was also a year older, and you need to evaluate his production in that context.

3) He's still a rail-thin C from the QMJHL. He didn't exactly put up Giroux-like numbers either.

Might he make us look dumb someday? Sure, it's possible.

Is he likely to be a better player than that Wilcox kid we took in the 5th? I have no earthly idea, but I don't think it is a sure-thing.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:05 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Probably didn't want to look bad by taking him. I don't think it will come back to bite us (although some gems came from pick 171 in the past). He's a slight of frame guy and if he doesn't crack the top 6, he's not playing in the NHL. I just shook my head everytime someone mentioned taking him in the second round. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Agreed.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
mirimon

Seems fitting that it was the Kings who took him, with a pick they got from us as well. Should mean that we'll keep talking about him for some time still (at least if he makes their AHL team or even better).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Might he make us look dumb someday? Sure, it's possible.
I don't understand this logic. They didn't draft him and neither did 28 other teams. If he makes the Flyers look dumb, he's going to make everyone look dumb. Do you really think the Flyers were the only team that knew he was available last year and the only reason he got drafted (in the 7th round this year) was because he played in preseason for the Flyers last year??? The Flyers had him and probably 20 other players on their draft board that they didn't take. So did all 30 other teams. Get over this guy, people!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

He's overrated because of the idiot we drafted last year instead of him. Not because people thought he is a superstar.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:58 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

im not upset we didnt draft him this year. Should of taken him last year. but no we had to have our ECHL goon

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He's overrated because of the idiot we drafted last year instead of him. Not because people thought he is a superstar.
I don't know, I think you should go back to some threads from last season. People seemed pretty convinced that he was going to be something special, some were even worried he may not be available to draft in the third round this year and were talking about trading up to the second to draft him. I don't think it has anything to do with Mathers. He's like any young player wearing a Flyers jersey. If he has a good first impression, he is going to be overrated forever. Holmstrom was supposed to be an NHL regular by now because he had a good training camp. After two games in the NHL Eric Wellwood was an NHL lock, despite being sent down for another year. Brandon Manning is now talked about like he will be something special because of his two decent NHL games. Hell, if Mathers ever dons a Flyers jersey and makes a good first impression, he will be labeled a steal because he lasted to the seventh round!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:23 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hell, if Mathers ever dons a Flyers jersey and makes a good first impression, he will be labeled a steal because he lasted to the seventh round!
Mathers > Crosby

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know, I think you should go back to some threads from last season. People seemed pretty convinced that he was going to be something special, some were even worried he may not be available to draft in the third round this year and were talking about trading up to the second to draft him. I don't think it has anything to do with Mathers. He's like any young player wearing a Flyers jersey. If he has a good first impression, he is going to be overrated forever. Holmstrom was supposed to be an NHL regular by now because he had a good training camp. After two games in the NHL Eric Wellwood was an NHL lock, despite being sent down for another year. Brandon Manning is now talked about like he will be something special because of his two decent NHL games. Hell, if Mathers ever dons a Flyers jersey and makes a good first impression, he will be labeled a steal because he lasted to the seventh round!
This exactly. I swear when Mathers makes his debut, he'll beat up some guy and be called a lock for the 4th line a la Sestito.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote