HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN Mag poll question on fighting

Old
06-26-2012, 07:37 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
ESPN Mag poll question on fighting

I know, I know. It's ESPN. I'm thinking the same thing you are. But that's not what this thread is about.

In the 6/25/12 issue of the magazine, page 116, there's an article called "Crowd, Sourced.". The editors found 12 completely different groups of sports fans, ranging from their own on-air talent to patrons at bars to a high school MMA team, an hit them with 8 controversial questions.

One of the questions: should fighting in hockey be abolished, more severely punished, or kept status quo?

Only 11% called for it to be abolished. 17% opted for increased punishment. 72% said "status quo".

But what really strikes me is that of the 12 groups, only one clearly came out in favor of abolition. That one group? Press row at Game 6 of the NHL Eastern Conference Finals in Newark, NJ.

What does that say about the disconnect between hockey media and the general viewing public? About the adolescent self-consciousness of this sport's pundits?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Awesome poll.

Hockey writers are at an all-time low right now. They never talk about the game, anayse the game, analyse the players. All they do is whine about the rules, write fluff and sensationalize.

How about someone hires a reporter who wants to explore the game he loves? The details, the systems, the personalities, what makes a winner, what goes on behind the scenes.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
NotPartoftheGame

I haven't seen the magazine so I can't comment on how they conducted the poll or how statistically valid it is, but....

Perhaps hockey journalists, who watch far more teams and games, and who are paid to understand more about the sport than casual fans, are responding based on a greater knowledge of the game. They likely understand that fighting only has a negative impact on the game and that common supporting arguments, like momentum changing or policing, are just myth and perception.

Perhaps the poll means nothing because the sample size and demographics was not properly selected for the questions asked. Look at a recent study by Environics Canada, reported by the Globe & Mail - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4204288/. It showed that 48% of hard-core hockey fans would support a ban on fighting. The survey sample was chosen from multiple markets and a range of demographic factors, meaning it is statistically valid.

All surveys are important to show trends but you also need to understand the facts and methodology behind them before attaching too much significance.

http://itsnotpartofthegame.blogspot.ca/

NotPartoftheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Fighting, from a pure sporting perspective, is pointless and requires no skill. Fighting made Andrew Peters an NHL player.

I don't advocate the abolition of fighting but the glory some ascribe to it is over the top.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Paul, you write just like a sports columnist at a major canadian newspaper.

You don't read the story but you comment it about it anyway, and spin it into an anti-fighting rant.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Fighting, from a pure sporting perspective, is pointless and requires no skill. Fighting made Andrew Peters an NHL player.

I don't advocate the abolition of fighting but the glory some ascribe to it is over the top.
Obviously you have never had to defend yourself with your fists before.

Tell Jet Li or Georges St. Pierre or Floyd Mayweather jr this or any of thousands of boxers, martial artists and yes even hockey goons this with a straight face.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:03 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Very interesting poll but I doubt it was performed very scientifically.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Obviously you have never had to defend yourself with your fists before.

Tell Jet Li or Georges St. Pierre or Floyd Mayweather jr this or any of thousands of boxers, martial artists and yes even hockey goons this with a straight face.
Don't be ridiculous. I'm obviously talking in the context of the NHL. Also lol at your choice of examples.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Evgeni Orzabal*

I'm guessing Press Row at Game 6 consisted of Ken Campbell and his gang of Nancies.

Evgeni Orzabal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
seeweed

WHAT!! NO WAY!! the media?! being against fighting?!

the most shocking news i've ever read!!

seeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
LSnow

Nowdays you allmost forget that fighting is still part of the game, so whats the problem ?

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Crede777
Deputized

While there are obvious risks associated with having a career that includes numerous fights and the occasional head injury due to slipping while not wearing a helmet, I think fighting may be a relatively safe way to vent anger.

Some people advocate hitting the offender during play as opposed to fighting him. This can obviously lead to dangerous (intentional or unintentional) situations. I would much rather have two players settle a disagreement with a fight than have one of the players "looking to hit" the other player really hard. I think most hockey fights are controlled environments where a player knows what is coming and can prepare himself for it.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Op-ed sportswriters far more often than not apply a very superficial progressive attitude towards sports. It's a -- likely subconscious -- way of being able to consistently drum up superficially moralist crusades which are good for generating controversy (readership) and self-importance.

This is why hardly anyone respects the bulk of these people. They're often very comparable to political op-ed writers in their superficial treatment of topics, only their subject is even less important.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:19 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I love a good fight as much as the next guy, but in the grand scheme of things what does fighting really have to do with the great sport of hockey?

The sole purpose of the game is to battle in the trenches, apply tactics such as speed, physicality, passing, sniping..etc to get the puck from your stick into your opponents net. Fighting is a stoppage in play and serves no direct connection to the main purpose of the game.

I too would have voted status quo, but I am definitely not a staunch supporter either way. I also predict fighting will be on its way out of the game within the next 10 years.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweed View Post
WHAT!! NO WAY!! the media?! being against fighting?!

the most shocking news i've ever read!!

The problem is that some people read stuff from the media and believe them. It's sad.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I know, I know. It's ESPN. I'm thinking the same thing you are. But that's not what this thread is about.

In the 6/25/12 issue of the magazine, page 116, there's an article called "Crowd, Sourced.". The editors found 12 completely different groups of sports fans, ranging from their own on-air talent to patrons at bars to a high school MMA team, an hit them with 8 controversial questions.

One of the questions: should fighting in hockey be abolished, more severely punished, or kept status quo?

Only 11% called for it to be abolished. 17% opted for increased punishment. 72% said "status quo".

But what really strikes me is that of the 12 groups, only one clearly came out in favor of abolition. That one group? Press row at Game 6 of the NHL Eastern Conference Finals in Newark, NJ.

What does that say about the disconnect between hockey media and the general viewing public? About the adolescent self-consciousness of this sport's pundits?
Sounds like an absolutely useless sampling procedure from a statistical point of view. The results of such a "survey" wouldn't be worth the paper they are printed on to any even semi-serious statistician, based on that description.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:04 AM
DohBruins

Someone should start a poll on this with the same options. Probably has been done before, though.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:08 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Awesome poll.

Hockey writers are at an all-time low right now. They never talk about the game, anayse the game, analyse the players. All they do is whine about the rules, write fluff and sensationalize.
Do you subscribe to both of Vancouver major papers?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote