HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke and Leafs' goalie options could get interesting soon

Old
06-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Ripper

vCash: 500
Burke and Leafs' goalie options could get interesting soon

With free agency about to be upon the NHL GM's here are some thoughts on what the Leafs and GM Brian Burke could do about their Goaltender options:

Trade for Luongo- Give up a 2nd, high salary dman and Marlie prospect.....OR sign an offer sheet to Schneider on a contract of the same cap hit over 7 Years and handcuff the Canucks, no love lost with Gillis anyway and only give up a 1st and 3rd.

Trade for Tim Thomas and give him a Year in CANADA - no White House visit required....OR....Sign offer sheet to RASK, bring him back to where he once should have belonged (sorry Pogge- but Rask was the one that got away)..sign him to an even longer term contract with higher cap hit and give up only a 1st and 3rd rounder. sorry Burkie- no need to do another Kessel type deal with the same team _sign and tradse with Kessel gave up 2 x 1st and 1 x 2nd rounder instead of just signing Kessel to offer sheet. boston would likely need to match but where else can they spend if 6 million in cap is gone and only 1 goalie signed.

If Boston and Vancouver aren't handcuffed enough and match the offers and don't trade the Leafs a goalie then maybe FLA will once they acquire Luongo and trade Jose Theodore to hold the fort until Reimer/Scrivers (or another youngster) rise to the top.

If no go with all the above then sign Nittiymaki for 2 Years -

If all above fails then look for another top 5 draft pick next June, of course this draft will be supervised by Burke's successor.

Have a nice week Brian, and by the way, do Leaf Nation proud or 'die' trying.

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:47 PM
kack zassian

This could really just go in the Luongo thread...

kack zassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
RogerRoeper*

My guess is...Burke does nothing. He's not going to give up much for Luongo and Thomas will be wasted cap room for them.

Thomas is the perfect fit on a financially struggling team that needs to hit the cap minimum. The Leafs aren't in that situation at all.

Very good chance Burke goes with Reimer/Scrivens next season.

And yes, I'm fine with that. Two very promising young goalies.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Thank you.

I understand that their fanbase is huge, but often there's discussions simply about Toronto on this board, which there shouldn't be IMO.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
With free agency about to be upon the NHL GM's here are some thoughts on what the Leafs and GM Brian Burke could do about their Goaltender options:

Trade for Luongo- Give up a 2nd, high salary dman and Marlie prospect.....OR sign an offer sheet to Schneider on a contract of the same cap hit over 7 Years and handcuff the Canucks, no love lost with Gillis anyway and only give up a 1st and 3rd.

Trade for Tim Thomas and give him a Year in CANADA - no White House visit required....OR....Sign offer sheet to RASK, bring him back to where he once should have belonged (sorry Pogge- but Rask was the one that got away)..sign him to an even longer term contract with higher cap hit and give up only a 1st and 3rd rounder. sorry Burkie- no need to do another Kessel type deal with the same team _sign and tradse with Kessel gave up 2 x 1st and 1 x 2nd rounder instead of just signing Kessel to offer sheet. boston would likely need to match but where else can they spend if 6 million in cap is gone and only 1 goalie signed.

If Boston and Vancouver aren't handcuffed enough and match the offers and don't trade the Leafs a goalie then maybe FLA will once they acquire Luongo and trade Jose Theodore to hold the fort until Reimer/Scrivers (or another youngster) rise to the top.

If no go with all the above then sign Nittiymaki for 2 Years -

If all above fails then look for another top 5 draft pick next June, of course this draft will be supervised by Burke's successor.

Have a nice week Brian, and by the way, do Leaf nation proud or 'die' trying.
Thomas is not playing next year. Boston will definitely match any offersheet on Rask. And unless said high-salaried dman is Phaneuf and not Komisarek, that package won't get you Luongo.(I assume you mean Franson+2nd+Komisarek)

Consider your bubble burst. And why is this not on the Leafs' Boards?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:52 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Id rather just go with Reimer/Scrivens than give the assets up for any of those options.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:54 PM
dave babych returns

Oh boy, it will be fun to watch if Antero ****ing Nittymaki is the best Burkie can do.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Could go on the Leafs board, too.

SoupNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:55 PM
rune74

This is funny like a merging of the offersheet / loungo threads....my god.

rune74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:55 PM
DG

Highly doubt Burke goes down the offer sheet route. We've heard what he allegedly thinks of them, and I'd be surprised if he was willing to risk high picks again.

Then again it would be pretty hilariously hypocritical, given how much he has gone on about how lacking in honour you are if you make an offer sheet.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Could go on the Leafs board, too.
Agreed

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
vanwest

Burke has a couple of things up his sleeve. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Cloutier come out of retirement now that Lidstrom has retired. There are also rumours out of Toronto that Johnny Bower has been working out and looks good. Luongo is not the only option he has.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Ripper

This is not on the LEAFS board because what happens with the Toronto, Boston and Vancouver situations in net also affects all the other cities looking for goaltender help- see Florida, Chicago, San Jose and others with question marks going in to the New Season like Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim...the list goes on. So all you Boston and Vancouver fans take it for what it's worth, and by the way Tim Thomas has waived his no trade clause- why would he do that if he wasn't going to play next season (with someone other than Boston that is).
In Vancouver, watch for the re-signing of Schnieder, if he isn't before July 1 then be on the lookout for offer sheets...if that's the case then maybe keeping Bobby Lou around for a week or two isn't just for posturing reason's

Time will tell!

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Highly doubt Burke goes down the offer sheet route. We've heard what he allegedly thinks of them, and I'd be surprised if he was willing to risk high picks again.

Then again it would be pretty hilariously hypocritical, given how much he has gone on about how lacking in honour you are if you make an offer sheet.
I've heard that apparently the only reason he was upset about the one was because he got no warning that it was going to be offered. Apparently he will do them himself even, just prefers to go about through a trade instead. Just what I've heard from others, haven't looked into it myself so don't hold me to this.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
This is not on the LEAFS board because what happens with the Toronto, Boston and Vancouver situations in net also affects all the other cities looking for goaltender help- see Florida, Chicago, San Jose and others with question marks going in to the New Season like Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim...the list goes on. So all you Boston and Vancouver fans take it for ehat it's worth, and by the way Tim Thomas has waived his no trade clause- why would he do that if he wasn't going to play next season (with someone other than Boston that is).
In vancouver, whatch for the re-signing of Schnieder, if he isn't before July 1 then be on the lookout for offer sheets...if that's the case then maybe keeping Bobby Lou around for a week or two isn't just for posturing reason's

Time will tell!
He waived his NTC to be traded to a team that needs to reach the cap floor as a kindness to Boston so they don't have deadweight on their cap.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He waived his NTC to be traded to a team that needs to reach the cap floor as a kindness to Boston so they don't have deadweight on their cap.
Odds of Tim Thomas coming to Canada are nil.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

I would love for them to take Schneider. Of the Canadian teams I would like to see win, its the Leafs and Sens.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
My guess is...Burke does nothing. He's not going to give up much for Luongo and Thomas will be wasted cap room for them.

Thomas is the perfect fit on a financially struggling team that needs to hit the cap minimum. The Leafs aren't in that situation at all.

Very good chance Burke goes with Reimer/Scrivens next season.

And yes, I'm fine with that. Two very promising young goalies.
I can't see Burke going into the year with Reimer/Scrivens. Leafs have been desperate for Goaltending forever. I think he'll overpay for Luongo at the end of the day.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Inverted

OR Burke can just roll with Reimer/Scrivens without giving up valuable assets; Reimer is healthy, Scrivens had sold AHL year, both of these goalies can push each other for the 1A position

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
rune74

Quote:
This is not on the LEAFS board because what happens with the Toronto, Boston and Vancouver situations in net also affects all the other cities looking for goaltender help- see Florida, Chicago, San Jose and others with question marks going in to the New Season like Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim...the list goes on. So all you Boston and Vancouver fans take it for what it's worth, and by the way Tim Thomas has waived his no trade clause- why would he do that if he wasn't going to play next season (with someone other than Boston that is).
In Vancouver, watch for the re-signing of Schnieder, if he isn't before July 1 then be on the lookout for offer sheets...if that's the case then maybe keeping Bobby Lou around for a week or two isn't just for posturing reason's

Time will tell!
We don't h ave the money to match offer sheets in vancouver I guess.

rune74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
OR Burke can just roll with Reimer/Scrivens without giving up valuable assets; Reimer is healthy, Scrivens had sold AHL year, both of these goalies can push each other for the 1A position
I don't think that's a wise career move for Burke to make.....8+ years without a single dollar of playoff revenue and you want Reimer and Scrivens to deal with the pressure of leading the Leafs to the promised land?

Neither one is ready, and I think going with that tandem will blow up in Burke's face.

06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I think for better or for worse we end up going with Reimer and Scrivens. Offer sheets just don't happen.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

vCash: 50
Like I said before ...

To date, the most talented goaltenders BB has had a hand in acquiring are Manny Legace (drafted by Hartford) and Jonas Hiller.

When it comes to assessing and analyzing goaltender talent, BB has a horrible success rate. Luongo is a sure bet, and the Leafs are a playoff team with him in net. But If you think BB can find a hidden gem elsewhere, history has shown that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
caley

I think the biggest problem the Leafs had this year with Reimer was that, instead of a solid veteran back-up capable of having Reimer's back in the bad times, they had another young guy who was looking to take starts away from him. If you put Reimer backed up by Scrivens, you have the exact same problem: two goalies who are trying to outplay the other for starts and no one to keep them grounded through the tough times. Even if Luongo ends up being a no-go, I expect the Leafs to make a move on a vet goalie: Dan Ellis, Brent Johnson (bank on his last year in Pitt being an anomaly), Scott Clemmensen, Al Montoya, though the best bet would probably be Dwayne Roloson. Bring him in a on a 2-year deal: first year splitting starts with Reimer 60/40 (That's 60 for Reimer), second year in a competition with Scrivens for the back-up.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Burke has a couple of things up his sleeve. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Cloutier come out of retirement now that Lidstrom has retired. There are also rumours out of Toronto that Johnny Bower has been working out and looks good. Luongo is not the only option he has.
Ah well...you tried though.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote