HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke and Leafs' goalie options could get interesting soon

Old
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Florida would like Markstrom to spend another year in San Antonio, they're not gonna move Theo.

06-26-2012, 10:23 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
I still think Toronto and Minnesota make good trading partners. Backstrom would be a great goalie for Toronto. The Wild re-signed Harding with the intentions of making him the starter. Backstrom via trade would probably be easier to acquire than Loungo with less of a albatross contract too.

A combination of picks with one of your younger d-men (Franson or Gunnar), and he's all yours!

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I think the biggest problem the Leafs had this year with Reimer was that, instead of a solid veteran back-up capable of having Reimer's back in the bad times, they had another young guy who was looking to take starts away from him. If you put Reimer backed up by Scrivens, you have the exact same problem: two goalies who are trying to outplay the other for starts and no one to keep them grounded through the tough times. Even if Luongo ends up being a no-go, I expect the Leafs to make a move on a vet goalie: Dan Ellis, Brent Johnson (bank on his last year in Pitt being an anomaly), Scott Clemmensen, Al Montoya, though the best bet would probably be Dwayne Roloson. Bring him in a on a 2-year deal: first year splitting starts with Reimer 60/40 (That's 60 for Reimer), second year in a competition with Scrivens for the back-up.
That's who I've listed as a target I'd like the Leafs to look into..911 SV% on a bad Ducks team,and has shown stretches of real brilliance in the past. His series against Detroit was exceptional.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I don't think that's a wise career move for Burke to make.....8+ years without a single dollar of playoff revenue and you want Reimer and Scrivens to deal with the pressure of leading the Leafs to the promised land?

Neither one is ready, and I think going with that tandem will blow up in Burke's face.
I think Burke is aware of the goaltending situation which he should/will look fix it, but the problem is there aren't any goaltenders out there which would really be an upgrade over Reimer or Scrivens, unless you're grossly overpaying; Luongo

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Huet?

Seriously he could be a veteran back-up. I hope the Canucks give him a training camp invite if we deal a goalie.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

Burke despised the Edmonton offer sheet because he was blind sided by it. He threatened to offer sheet Kessel if a deal wouldn't be reached with the Leafs, but always reiterated that he doesn't want to do it.

He can let the Canucks know of his intentions and then go ahead. He won't be a hypocrite for it.

06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
bobbyt911
you must quote me :P

Quote:
I don't think that's a wise career move for Burke to make.....8+ years without a single dollar of playoff revenue and you want Reimer and Scrivens to deal with the pressure of leading the Leafs to the promised land?

Neither one is ready, and I think going with that tandem will blow up in Burke's face.
Of all places playoff revenue isn't as much an issue as other teams. I am almost OK with this year being considered a mulligan year for the long term betterment of the club. The top picks next year look to be great and if they mange to get the #1 pick Nathan looks like a sure bet. Next year goalie UFA's are Smith, Quick, Lehtonen, Howard and Backstrom so a way better chance to get the goalie needed. I am all for keeping our prospects and giving them ice time with the big club in all positions and getting the goalie for nothing via UFA and possibly an other top 5 pick too

bobbyt911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:23 PM
BlueStFX

Quote:

Well maybe he'd rather take the brunt of the blow and get fired than sacrifice the future of the club?

BlueStFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
With free agency about to be upon the NHL GM's here are some thoughts on what the Leafs and GM Brian Burke could do about their Goaltender options:

Trade for Luongo- Give up a 2nd, high salary dman and Marlie prospect.....OR sign an offer sheet to Schneider on a contract of the same cap hit over 7 Years and handcuff the Canucks, no love lost with Gillis anyway and only give up a 1st and 3rd.

Trade for Tim Thomas and give him a Year in CANADA - no White House visit required....OR....Sign offer sheet to RASK, bring him back to where he once should have belonged (sorry Pogge- but Rask was the one that got away)..sign him to an even longer term contract with higher cap hit and give up only a 1st and 3rd rounder. sorry Burkie- no need to do another Kessel type deal with the same team _sign and tradse with Kessel gave up 2 x 1st and 1 x 2nd rounder instead of just signing Kessel to offer sheet. boston would likely need to match but where else can they spend if 6 million in cap is gone and only 1 goalie signed.

If Boston and Vancouver aren't handcuffed enough and match the offers and don't trade the Leafs a goalie then maybe FLA will once they acquire Luongo and trade Jose Theodore to hold the fort until Reimer/Scrivers (or another youngster) rise to the top.

If no go with all the above then sign Nittiymaki for 2 Years -

If all above fails then look for another top 5 draft pick next June, of course this draft will be supervised by Burke's successor.

Have a nice week Brian, and by the way, do Leaf Nation proud or 'die' trying.
Good luck seeking Thomas or Nittymaki. Thomas has no reason to waive, and Nittymaki is not the answer. As for Luongo, the near mythic "Gardiner and two firsts" was likely a response to an offer like that. I hope Burke, for your guys sake and not his, tries for Backstrom as well.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:09 AM
colchar

St. Louis has said they are looking for d-men. Burke could always offer them help at that position in return for Halak or Elliot. If the Blues haven't signed anyone in the first couple of days of free agency it might be worth the shot to make them an offer so that they can shore up a position at which they need help.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:16 AM
sal00

Burke should just be a good Samaritan by keeping status quo and let the next Leafs GM have a shot at McKinnon

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:
With free agency about to be upon the NHL GM's here are some thoughts on what the Leafs and GM Brian Burke could do about their Goaltender options:

Trade for Luongo- Give up a 2nd, high salary dman and Marlie prospect.....OR sign an offer sheet to Schneider on a contract of the same cap hit over 7 Years and handcuff the Canucks, no love lost with Gillis anyway and only give up a 1st and 3rd.

Trade for Tim Thomas and give him a Year in CANADA - no White House visit required....OR....Sign offer sheet to RASK, bring him back to where he once should have belonged (sorry Pogge- but Rask was the one that got away)..sign him to an even longer term contract with higher cap hit and give up only a 1st and 3rd rounder. sorry Burkie- no need to do another Kessel type deal with the same team _sign and tradse with Kessel gave up 2 x 1st and 1 x 2nd rounder instead of just signing Kessel to offer sheet. boston would likely need to match but where else can they spend if 6 million in cap is gone and only 1 goalie signed.

If Boston and Vancouver aren't handcuffed enough and match the offers and don't trade the Leafs a goalie then maybe FLA will once they acquire Luongo and trade Jose Theodore to hold the fort until Reimer/Scrivers (or another youngster) rise to the top.

If no go with all the above then sign Nittiymaki for 2 Years -

If all above fails then look for another top 5 draft pick next June, of course this draft will be supervised by Burke's successor.

Have a nice week Brian, and by the way, do Leaf Nation proud or 'die' trying.
Toronto gives offersheet, Boston & Vancouver say "thank you VERY much Burkey-boy for gauranteeing us a long-term contract on our goalies of the future. Box of chocolates is in the mail (just make sure you get it before Nonis gets his hands on it)."

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:37 AM
Kip96

Quote:

Hey get your logical and reasonable thinking out of here!! Reimer+Scrivens=Cup

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Kip96

Offer sheets aren't going to happen. Stamkos and Doughty were available last year and no teams bothered

Old
06-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
Offer sheets aren't going to happen. Stamkos and Doughty were available last year and no teams bothered
The reason offersheets didn't happen for Stamkos or Doughty is because IF either signed an offersheet, Tampa or LA would simply match it, say thank you, and have their star locked up to a contract. (well, that's one of many reasons offersheets don't happen).

So that's the thing. Even if they DO happen, It doesn't mean the team that offered the offersheet automatically owns the player's rights. Almost the exact opposite.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:24 AM
LBCANUCK

Yeah a 2nd , high salary d man(komi) and a marlie prospect aint getting you luongo, if it did then you would have him by now

LBCANUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:28 AM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
No thanks. That 2013 1st rounder could potentially be MacKinnon, or Jones. I'd rather the Leafs hold onto it.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Momesso

What about Backstrom or Harding out of Minny?

You gotta think one of those might be possible given how well Hackett has looked for them.

That said, only Backstrom has been a starter - so he would be the target, given that Harding just extended.

It's a viable Luongo alternative for Toronto.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Agreed
Seconded

That return for Luongo is horrendous. You're kidding yourself if that's what you think it's going to cost.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:32 AM
Provost

Are Toronto fans assuming that their GM is a liar?

Burke said he was prepared to go into the season with his existing goalies... take him at his word.

At the very least he is giving you ample warning that he is not going to be able to get anything accomplished on the goalie front.

Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Kip96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
The reason offersheets didn't happen for Stamkos or Doughty is because IF either signed an offersheet, Tampa or LA would simply match it, say thank you, and have their star locked up to a contract. (well, that's one of many reasons offersheets don't happen).

So that's the thing. Even if they DO happen, It doesn't mean the team that offered the offersheet automatically owns the player's rights. Almost the exact opposite.
Yeah pretty much, I named those guys because they were so high profile and teams would be lined up to sign them

My point was more that people say all the team has to do is offer sheet this guy and all our problems are solved. They basically never happen but people on HF talk about them as if they happen all the time

Old
06-27-2012, 03:21 AM
redbeard7737

Bernier??

redbeard7737 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:48 AM
oilinblood

i dont see the leafs having the assets to aquire anything. unbiased here.

I dont see them getting luongo. I dont see them getting nash. i dont see them getting yandle.

ofcourse we already know they swung and missed at Shultz.
If they (leafs/burke) offersheet schneider at 5 or more gillis will laugh and take it and give #1 back to luongo and boom... hand over your picks for a few years.
gillis made hodgiepodgie look good too. dont overwork the player and give them lower competition.

and if toronto acquired his rights, Thomas would probably just rather retire -doesnt want the meedia interference anymore.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
i dont see the leafs having the assets to aquire anything. unbiased here.

I dont see them getting luongo. I dont see them getting nash. i dont see them getting yandle.

ofcourse we already know they swung and missed at Shultz.
If they (leafs/burke) offersheet schneider at 5 or more gillis will laugh and take it and give #1 back to luongo and boom... hand over your picks for a few years.
gillis made hodgiepodgie look good too. dont overwork the player and give them lower competition.

and if toronto acquired his rights, Thomas would probably just rather retire -doesnt want the meedia interference anymore.
Compensation for 5-6.2m is 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Nash, Yandle and Luongo are not so valuable that a team will not have the assets to acquire them. It is whether they are worth the assets.

Last edited by Intense Rage: 06-27-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:23 AM
tony d
The man

Given the goalie options out there are miminal besides Luongo and Thomas (both of whom I think are unlikely to go to Toronto) I think Burke rolls with Reimer as his #1 next season. How that works out will be interesting to see.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote