HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doan Will Test Free Agency

Old
06-27-2012, 04:09 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Doan is listed as a center on HockeyDB... i guess thats false information? when was the last time he played center?

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Doan is listed as a center on HockeyDB... i guess thats false information? when was the last time he played center?
Maybe six years ago for half a season, or so. He plays left or right wing with equal effectiveness. He's not a center.

06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
mavstar
No expectations

I'd kill to have a guy like Doan on the Canucks, this team could really use a skilled physical vet. I wouldn't pay him more than 5m/year at a max of 3 years though, which I'm sure he'll be able to top elsewhere.

mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Maybe six years ago for half a season, or so. He plays left or right wing with equal effectiveness. He's not a center.
I dont remember the context (Pk or if he was swapped in), but ...

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Some times centers get tossed from the dot.

He hasn't played center for years. Not for Tippett and not in Gretzky's final year. So, five or six years.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I thought Bettman specifically addressed this issue, and said players could be guilty of tampering?
He did, in the Justin Schultz thread, it was specifically stated that players cannot say "join my team". Players can talk about experiences, but recruiting crosses the line.

edit: Here it is (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533456)...

Quote:
Bettman acknowledged that player-to-player contact is likely to happen, but clarified what is acceptable and what is tampering.

"They're not supposed to be doing indirectly for a club what a club can't do itself," he said. "Obviously, if one player is an unrestricted free agent and he's thinking about two or three different cities, not because they've approached him, but he's thinking about them, he's looked at their cap situation, he's looked at their roster, and he's thinking about 'is it a nice place to play, how is it to live in that city, what's the coach and GM like,' my guess is those conversations probably happen in the ordinary course they would during the regular season. Two buddies on two different teams go out for a get together and talk about their experiences that comes up, but in fact that the player is actually trying to do the recruiting and the negotiating -- would you come to us for X -- that they can't do."
So yes, if it played out as the guy talking about Toews on twitter claims, then yes, Toews tampered.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:24 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
He did, in the Justin Schultz thread, it was specifically stated that players cannot say "join my team". Players can talk about experiences, but recruiting crosses the line.

So yes, if it played out as the guy talking about Toews on twitter claims, then yes, Toews tampered.

***EDIT***

Nevermind, found it.

Last edited by RockLobster: 06-28-2012 at 12:31 AM.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:32 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Travel math shows 1:15 from SJ to PHX and 45min from LA to PHX. I'd say those are a couple of likely spots. Vancouver has a separate appeal. He's a western Canadian, all of his family outside of his wife and children are in western canada, and he's a patriotic dude.

Could he decide to go to St Louis or Detroit? Sure, but they'd probably have to make it worth his while. They arwnt offering significantly more than Los Angeles, San Jose, or Vancouver, why would he?
San Jose also has the added advantage of having Doan's former World Cup center on the team, one Joe Thornton. If I recall correctly, the other winger was Maltby and sometimes Morrow. I know it was a longtime ago, but Jumbo and Doaner clicked quite well. Also, I think the SJ airport is easier to get to from where the players typically live in SJ, compared to LAX from northern LA county.

Vancouver is an option because of his ties to Kamloops among other reasons, but the distance and border are an added hastle.

06-28-2012, 12:35 AM
HawksTillDeath

Tampered or not - he needs to come to Chicago

a line of Doan - Toews - Kane
WOW

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Doesn't Doan want to play in Western Canada for a contender?

I can only think of 1 team that fits that criteria.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:39 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Love to see Doan in Vancouver. It won't happen, but what a perfect fit he'd be!

I think Gillis will also pursue him. He's basically the prototype player Gillis wants in all his players, and his recent drafting tendencies prove it. I could see him going hard after Doan, much like he did with Sundin. A top veteran leader you think can have a big impact in your other players' developments - much like Sundin did. A 4-yr offer to get him to Vancouver wouldn't surprise me. Doan moving to a team that far from where he doesn't want to move his family from would be a big surprise.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
San Jose also has the added advantage of having Doan's former World Cup center on the team, one Joe Thornton. If I recall correctly, the other winger was Maltby and sometimes Morrow. I know it was a longtime ago, but Jumbo and Doaner clicked quite well. Also, I think the SJ airport is easier to get to from where the players typically live in SJ, compared to LAX from northern LA county.

Vancouver is an option because of his ties to Kamloops among other reasons, but the distance and border are an added hastle.
Doan has a family right? If so, he probably wouldn't live in Santana Row where a lot of the younger guys live (Couture, Demers etc...). He'd probably live in the Los Gatos area which is about 15-20 min from the airport.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:08 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Doesn't Doan want to play in Western Canada for a contender?
I think he wants to play in AZ for a contender!

once again I'll post that Doan has a 200+ horse ranch here in AZ. He will not relocate his horses and will not get rid of them, he would retire 1st. So any talk of him playing out of the conference doesn't make any sense. And I can't see him wanting to commute more than 2 hours at a time. I can see the Ducks being the wild card and a team no one is talking about...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:10 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Darren Pang was on Team1040 today stating that Doan most likely wants to play in Western Canada and insinuated that the team would be Calgary with his friend Iggy.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:14 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Darren Pang was on Team1040 today stating that Doan most likely wants to play in Western Canada and insinuated that the team would be Calgary with his friend Iggy.
Well the Flames paid Wideman $5+ mil... can't wait to see what they'd pay Doan... $7 mil?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Peter Griffin

Would love to see Doan end up in Vancouver, but I think there are other teams that would be higher up on his wish list. Although riding shotgun for the Sedins would be a pretty sweet gig.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:35 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Go wherever the guy who predicted Vancouver/Boston final and LA to win the stanley cup at the start of the year says wins the stanley cup , really sign with a contender like NYR, Pittsburgh, LA, Philly, Vancouver possibly even Edmonton.

Would post the video but HF boards and fans would just say "So I said it too," but I dunno, hes on a roll right now, could go for three in a row.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I would be very satisfied if the Kings offseason included re-signing Quick long term and signing Doan.

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Doan - Richards - Carter
Gagne - Stoll - Lewis
King - Fraser - Nolan

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:54 AM
MayDayMayDay

Oh man, wishful thinking, would LOVE to see him in Buffalo on a line w/ Vanek/Pominville and Grigorenko. Just the kind of veteran presence we'd need.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Homegrown Kings
that other 70s line

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
Tampered or not - he needs to come to Chicago

a line of Doan - Toews - Kane
WOW
Jets' fans dream about that same line every night.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
Jets' fans dream about that same line every night.
Good call.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:10 AM
ziploc

I have wanted Doan on the Canucks forever. He would be amazing on the first or second line. I think he will probably be back in Phoenix though.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Knowing the sort of guy Shane is, he's not moving out east.
It'll be a war between the Oilers-Flames-Canucks, or the Kings and Sharks.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

This rule is in the SPC, hence many miss it. See a thread at the business board called Minny tampering? And the rules are quoted.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:01 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This rule is in the SPC, hence many miss it. See a thread at the business board called Minny tampering? And the rules are quoted.
Here's the SPC standard clause:
Quote:
10. The Player agrees he will not tamper with or enter into negotiations with any Player
under SPC or reservation to any Club of the League for or regarding such Player's current or
future services, without the written consent of the Club with which such Player is connected
under penalty of a fine to be imposed by the Commissioner of the League.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote