HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jared Cowen Expectations

Old
06-26-2012, 11:55 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Jared Cowen Expectations

How did he play last year? Where does he fit in next year? Does he have 35ish+ point potential?

I have the chance to pick him up in a keeper league trade. I either make the deal and get Cowen or pick one of Pouliot, Lindholm or Koekoek.

Help?

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:57 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I think in 4-5 years once he clicks with his new d partner once Gonchar is gone, he can produce anywhere near the 35-40 points mark. Good size, decent speed for his size. Hope he's a Chara like player

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:59 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
It really might take that long? He had a 17 point year as a rookie. You don't think 25 is possible next year and 30+ the year after?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Daffy

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Renegade Stylings;51586833]How did he play last year? Where does he fit in next year? Does he have 35ish+ point potential?

I have the chance to pick him up in a keeper league trade. I either make the deal and get Cowen or pick one of Pouliot, Lindholm or Koekoek.

He has the potential to be a two-way dman, with his max upside at I'd say 40 points when he hits his prime. Of course it's hard to predict, but 20-25 points next season seems like an attainable mark.

I do think that Cowen would have more value than those 3 however, at least for next season.

Daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Rumcajs

At the very least Braydon Coburn.

Hopefully a Shea Weber but i could see Derian Hatcher.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

If he gets paired with Karlsson this year he will have 35 points with his eyes closed.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:09 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
At the very least Braydon Coburn.

Hopefully a Shea Weber but i could see Derian Hatcher.
Holy optimism levels, Batman!

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:11 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It really might take that long? He had a 17 point year as a rookie. You don't think 25 is possible next year and 30+ the year after?
I don't think so. Keep in mind 4 of those 17 pts came in the same game. While I think that game showed a lot of what he could be, he is the type of player who really likes to feel comfortable. He has been used to being totally in control of games, and I don't see Cowen as a guy who will be able to really break out offensively until he reaches that level. He could hit 20-25 this year and the next but I suspect it will take at least 3-4 years for him to really get to the level where he's a solid and consistent offensive contributor. When he gets there, I think he can really flourish though.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:18 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
How did he play last year? Where does he fit in next year? Does he have 35ish+ point potential?

Help?

He's going to focus on his defensive game more next season I think. This year he was prone to leaving his coverage to make a hit near our blueline or he'd try and make a pinch along the boards at the offensive blueline and get burned. I'd expect 15 to 20-ish points next year - marginal improvement perhaps. Doubt he sees 1st pairing time until late in the season at the earliest.

06-27-2012, 12:19 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

He might be forced into playing top minutes next season for the Sens if July 1 is a bust for Ottawa. If that's the case, he'll probably get in the 30ish range as early as next season. I don't think he's necessarily ready for that but circumstances might force fate's hand.

Cowen's rookie season was full of ups and downs. The downs mostly due to inexperience and learning where his abilities fit within this league. Its hard to predict how quickly he'll learn but if he's a prodigious learner, he could possibly be fit for the role on most occasions. If not, the next season will be similar to the last but amplified in order with being a top unit player.

JC will probably be a real sturdy #2D who's mostly a defensive guy. He's huge, physical and usually very aware so his own zone play won't be an issue. He's only just getting out of his teens and he can already ragdoll grown men.

Offensive potential is still in the air. He's not shy about jumping up into the play but his reads aren't always of the Karlsson variety. However, this aggressive behaviour could still make him a point producer along with his heavy shot. That bomb is easily good enough to get him regular 2nd unit PP time but circumstances will likely dictate whether he ever gets a big chance to be a mainstay with Spezza, Karlsson, Alfie and co.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Holy optimism levels, Batman!

So im guessing if i told you Silfverberg is the next Rundblad you would be okay with that

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Icelevel
Relentless

He has the ability to jump up and make plays as he showed last yr. He just needs confidence which he should have more of this yr. He'll probably add a few pts to last yrs total. 25-30 is reasonable.
We don't know exactly how our d will be lining up though so it may depend a little on that. If he's playing with king k then look out.
Just take him.

Last edited by Icelevel: 06-27-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:28 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
So im guessing if i told you Silfverberg is the next Rundblad you would be okay with that

Shea Weber is the best defenseman in the NHL (on a consistent basis). Let's hope that Cowen becomes a good #2 D-man and leave it at that.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:31 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
I don't rule it out. But unless Gonchar finds his old form and is paired with Cowen all season long, I don't think he'll reach 30+ points next season.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:32 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
here's the thing about cowen in a keeper league.

Cowen plays LD. Karlsson plays RD. Until now, they havnt really played together because they are both young. Now, with kuba likely leaving, we need a new partner for Karlsson, and when gonchar goes, we need a new one for Cowen.

If Cowen gets that spot next to Karlsson, he's absolutely a 30-40pt guy, especially if they keep that pair together for the 1st PP unit. If he doesnt, that means less offensive ice time and closer to 20-30 pts.

The upside is there, but if he ends up being stuck in a 2nd pairing role for the next 3 years (ie not with karlsson), you're probably going to wish you had taken one of the other guys.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:36 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I think the organization would much rather use Cowen in our zone for the time being. To me he has more use on a defensive pairing.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:36 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:

Help?

I doubt any one of those guys will make their team next year, therefore for next year Cowen's value is higher. However long term he's always been projected as a shut down dman, therefore picking a player like Pouliot might make more sense considering he's touted as an offensive defenseman.

I'm not saying Cowen won't ever hit 30-40 points, but long run there is a better value for a hockey pool in Pouliot.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Some of Cowen's best games, I thought, were when he was paired with Karlsson.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:36 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

He's pretty good.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:33 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
here's the thing about cowen in a keeper league.

Cowen plays LD. Karlsson plays RD. Until now, they havnt really played together because they are both young. Now, with kuba likely leaving, we need a new partner for Karlsson, and when gonchar goes, we need a new one for Cowen.

If Cowen gets that spot next to Karlsson, he's absolutely a 30-40pt guy, especially if they keep that pair together for the 1st PP unit. If he doesnt, that means less offensive ice time and closer to 20-30 pts.

The upside is there, but if he ends up being stuck in a 2nd pairing role for the next 3 years (ie not with karlsson), you're probably going to wish you had taken one of the other guys.
I agree with this; and Ceci is the Cowen replacement.

I wonder, if JC plays with Karlsson this year, who plays with Gonchar?

UFA perhaps. I'm thinking Phillips with Borowiecki as the 5 & 6. Carkner as the 7. Could Carkner play with Gonchar? - do not think so. Borowiecki maybe has the attitude to do that, but I like him with Phillips.

Schultz would be a cool answer. But seems he is going to choose who he wants.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:35 AM
KarlSen

I wouldn't pick him up for points. His thing is a big body D-Man. He had a great rookie year. Considering he made the jump from junior to NHL, with only a few AHL playoff games, IMHO it was pretty remarkable.

He has shown good speed for his size and he has a heavy shot, but he has a lot to learn about playing D in the NHL. For his 2nd pro year, I think that will be his emphasis vs. taking on an offensive role.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

I could definitely see 35 points for Jared Cowen in the future. This guy will be an animal. He was one of our best D at times last season and had a great rookie season. He's big, has a long reach and can hit enough to take the puck away from a player. He clears the crease well. He also has an offensive jump that he showed last year when he would join some rushes. He just needs some more confidence and he'll be a solid two-way defenseman.

He seemed worn out by the end of the regular season although he had a great playoffs. I don't blame him, considering he played the WHL season, WJC, one round of WHL playoffs, a whole AHL Calder Cup playoffs, development camp, training camp and then the NHL regular season. And at one stretch in the year (starting early December to early February) he was playing a lot of minutes. A season high of 31:42 against NJD on December 8th.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
I 100% feel that 25 is attainable, perhaps more if they give him some pp1 time.

I would take him over the others you listed in the OP.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM
OgieO

If he ever gets smoother with the puck, look out. He's got a big shot. He could be a 40 to 50 point player if his puck skills develop. That's going to take a lot of hard work, but its definitely possible.

Imagine him with Karlsson - EK draws all the attention and Cowen gets to rip open slappers at the net. If he develops puck skills where he and EK feed off each other it becomes a very potent pairing.

But, he could also develop into a stay at home shut down guy that only manages 25 points a year. Hard to say which way he goes.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post

Shea Weber is the best defenseman in the NHL (on a consistent basis). Let's hope that Cowen becomes a good #2 D-man and leave it at that.
No, he's not.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote