HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

All CBA talk goes here (NHL offers 50/50 deal - 82 game deadline passed)

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 09:55 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 500
Just un ****in believable.

Man up and fix this. Two other leagues did it over the last year or so. Get. Your. ****. Together.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Unreal. 1st you tell me you understand its a competitive market, but then you go on to tell me that my thinking is moronic.

How do you control contracts in a competitive market, you cant. The salary cap does not control amount and length you can give 1 player.
Your presumption that there's absolutely no free will involved in the process is absolutely astounding. Teams don't have to keep bidding on those players. But they do, because they're either bad businesses or are run by their owners in such a way that they don't care about taking a loss (Pegula's Sabres, for instance).

You're now bemoaning the length of contracts. Perhaps you should be advocating a maximum length of a deal--like the NBA has--rather than your draconian suggesting of contracting 1/3 of the league on the premise that the owners just can't help themselves.

Quote:
How do you suggest the owners prevent rising contracts? There is nothing they can do without a limit on contract length IMO. If you limit the length, then the cap can do its job controlling the market IMO.
Precisely, but you weren't arguing for a maximum length of deal; you were advocating for a contraction of 1/3 of the league. There's another way to control the length of deals, as well: free will. Don't offer 13 year/$100m deals. Not a difficult concept.

Quote:
Not every team is like Pheonix, many teams have good attendance and still lose money. The Sabres are one of them.
Stop using the Sabres as an example. The Sabres could break even or earn a little bit of money if they so chose--remember, that was Golisano's #1 objective--but Pegula doesn't care about. That's Pegula's choice. See that concept of free will again.
_______

In any event, I see you slowly backing away from your argument and attempting to move your argument to different subjects.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Just un ****in believable.

Man up and fix this. Two other leagues did it over the last year or so. Get. Your. ****. Together.
...after a lockout.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

The Sabres not making money could easily change. There are thousands of people on the waiting list for season tickets. If Pegula increased the cost of seasons by 30%, there would be a few thousand cancelling, but most on the waiting list would gladly pay for it.

Problem solved.

The Pegula and crew could easily soak the fans with price increases with a lot of different things. And the fans would pay. Less of them overall would or could pay, but the demand for the product is so great, there will be no shortage of fans who will pay.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:26 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
The Sabres not making money could easily change. There are thousands of people on the waiting list for season tickets. If Pegula increased the cost of seasons by 30%, there would be a few thousand cancelling, but most on the waiting list would gladly pay for it.

Problem solved.

The Pegula and crew could easily soak the fans with price increases with a lot of different things. And the fans would pay. Less of them overall would or could pay, but the demand for the product is so great, there will be no shortage of fans who will pay.
They're barely losing money now. I know that it's reported they're losing between $5M and $8M a year, but you can bet about 40% of that is standard (and legal) accounting tricks that 'invent' losses.

You can also bet that part of the reason Pegula wanted in on the Webster Block would be the extra income. Making a couple million across the street is a nice way to subsidize possible losses.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:27 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
They're barely losing money now. I know that it's reported they're losing between $5M and $8M a year, but you can bet about 40% of that is standard (and legal) accounting tricks that 'invent' losses.

You can also bet that part of the reason Pegula wanted in on the Webster Block would be the extra income. Making a couple million across the street is a nice way to subsidize possible losses.
Yea, I agree with those thoughts. Plus I think Pegula truly wants to help make the Arena and waterfront a destination. And every little bit will help. And Pegula, so far, has done more than "a little".

Old
09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
...after a lockout.
It's the idea of losing another entire season that's got me. At least the NFL is getting all of its games, and the NBA didn't lose a huge chunk of them.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:48 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
It's the idea of losing another entire season that's got me. At least the NFL is getting all of its games, and the NBA didn't lose a huge chunk of them.
The NBA lost 20% of their season.....

Old
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The NBA lost 20% of their season.....
But you'd think with so much recent history they could learn from the other bigger leagues and come to some sort of agreement in a timely manner, as opposed to breaking off talks and acting like children.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:03 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

You would think, but it's more complex than that.

Once people start losing paychecks, things will get real. Same thing that happened in the NBA.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
ohheyimmark

Apparently today's meeting is still going strong after two hours. Either things are moving forward, or a wildwest shootout erupted and no one is left.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

move every team out of Canada
have them pay large fees to get them back
profit

Old
09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
...after a lockout.
The NFL didn't lose any games.... The NHL will most definitely will. And the NBA last had a lockout before this one in 98-99.... The NHL will be screwed if they lose games this season, they are already not a big 4 sport anymore, and who'd blame the fans for that anyway? 3 lockouts in 18 seasons is a ****ing joke.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:49 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Gary Bettman : "PLAYERS MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY!!! ZOMG!!!"

Jeremy Jacobs : "Sure, we can give Brad Marchand a $4.5M per contract!"

Old
09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
The NFL didn't lose any games.... The NHL will most definitely will. And the NBA last had a lockout before this one in 98-99.... The NHL will be screwed if they lose games this season, they are already not a big 4 sport anymore, and who'd blame the fans for that anyway? 3 lockouts in 18 seasons is a ****ing joke.
First off, how does any of that affect my response to TSM that it took a lockout to get the parties to reach a collective-bargaining agreement? It doesn't. Second, the NHL won't be "screwed" because they have a niche fanbase that is going to come back, regardless. That's Bettman's bet, anyways, and his rationale is based on what happened after the last lockout--and, frankly, I think he's correct in that belief.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

Problem solved.

I'm on the list and I'd jump in at 30% more. The markets there. Just look at the prices above face value people regularly pay on ebay and stubhub. I'm sure there's a business expense for it. But, they may loose money season to season. But, the team keeps appreciating by more than they are putting into it. So, losses are really only short term. If and when they sell they get it all back and then some.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:30 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Your presumption that there's absolutely no free will involved in the process is absolutely astounding. Teams don't have to keep bidding on those players. But they do, because they're either bad businesses or are run by their owners in such a way that they don't care about taking a loss (Pegula's Sabres, for instance).

You're now bemoaning the length of contracts. Perhaps you should be advocating a maximum length of a deal--like the NBA has--rather than your draconian suggesting of contracting 1/3 of the league on the premise that the owners just can't help themselves.

Precisely, but you weren't arguing for a maximum length of deal; you were advocating for a contraction of 1/3 of the league. There's another way to control the length of deals, as well: free will. Don't offer 13 year/$100m deals. Not a difficult concept.

Stop using the Sabres as an example. The Sabres could break even or earn a little bit of money if they so chose--remember, that was Golisano's #1 objective--but Pegula doesn't care about. That's Pegula's choice. See that concept of free will again.
_______

In any event, I see you slowly backing away from your argument and attempting to move your argument to different subjects.
Your whole view on owners is ridiculous. So the owner should stop trying to sign a player at what point? When exactly is it too much for the owner to spend? Its just a ridiculous argument, and your not the only one that says it. The agents and players are going to tell the owner to stop offering more money? The free will argument is just unbelievable, I don't even know how you can say something like that.

There is nothing anyone can do to stop rising contracts if there is no limit on term. Its the only way the cap can work, or do what the NFL does and allow players to be cut mid contract with minimal cap penalty.

And I thought I was pretty clear in saying the NHL cant survive with 30 teams at this rate, and must have lower contracts or contraction.

Limited term would lower contracts, you couldnt hand out as many big contracts with the cap hits being so high.

The Sabres had a hard time breaking even with Golisano when they missed the playoffs. I remember reading they lost money almost every year he was owner.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 09-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old
09-08-2012, 10:08 AM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

It seems that fans in some nhl cities do not want to buy as many tickets as in other cities. Further they do not want to pay the prices charged in other cities. And in some cities the fans are pushing their local and state governments to wring money out of non fan taxpayers to build and finance arenas for the local team. In most of those places the team owner is NOT making a return on investment equal even to a second line player on his team. The NHLPA solution is to let the teams that are well run and have highly motivated fans to pay more so they can see those teams come in. Value pricing anyone? The Canadian teams are paying more than their fair share for revenue sharing and their fans are paying huge ticket prices. How about all tickets must be the same price in all rinks? Leaf, Ranger fans etc. will see their costs go down or else Florida, Columbus, Phoenix see theirs go up. If Crosby gets the same money playing a game in Phoenix then surely the ticket price should be the same? Or the players get paid according to ticket prices--if the average paid ticket in New York is x and in Phoenix is 1/2 x then Ranger players get half their game salary when they play there? This is fun!In any event there will be fair play for the fans-a good thing right? If the team revenues go down it will lower player salaries but will help parity and help fans which is what both sides say they want. That is what they want is it not?

Old
09-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Your whole view on owners is ridiculous. So the owner should stop trying to sign a player at what point? When exactly is it too much for the owner to spend? Its just a ridiculous argument, and your not the only one that says it. The agents and players are going to tell the owner to stop offering more money? The free will argument is just unbelievable, I don't even know how you can say something like that.
Are you being purposely dense? My view that owners can stop the death spiral of huge contracts by ceasing to offer them is "ridiculous" and "unbelievable?" Give me a break. Your argument that this situation is somehow the fault of players and agents because they accept these stupid deals that are being offered by the teams and owners is the only thing that's ridiculous and unbelievable in this discussion. That you reject the concept of free will is all anyone needs to know about your beliefs--according to you, all the owners and teams are at the mercy of players and agents. Get the **** out of here with that garbage.

Quote:
There is nothing anyone can do to stop rising contracts if there is no limit on term. Its the only way the cap can work, or do what the NFL does and allow players to be cut mid contract with minimal cap penalty.

Yes there is! Make the conscious decision to stop offering 13yr/$100m contracts. Stop offering middling players like Ville Leino $27m over six years. There are plenty of things owners can do to end the madness. They just choose not to, and now they want the players to take it on the chin for the owners dumb decisions.

Old
09-08-2012, 10:45 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Are you being purposely dense? My view that owners can stop the death spiral of huge contracts by ceasing to offer them is "ridiculous" and "unbelievable?" Give me a break. Your argument that this situation is somehow the fault of players and agents because they accept these stupid deals that are being offered by the teams and owners is the only thing that's ridiculous and unbelievable in this discussion. That you reject the concept of free will is all anyone needs to know about your beliefs--according to you, all the owners and teams are at the mercy of players and agents. Get the **** out of here with that garbage.
Sounds like there's a lot of missing the point going on. In any free market, you don't go and wag your finger at all of the individual participants and say, why, you shouldn't pay so much! They're individual participants, and if the player is worth the money to them and they don't offer it, someone else will. So no, if you believe in how free markets work, owners can't stop the death spiral without instituting a set of rules that bind each other. It's the same principles that lie behind any regulation on any market. Of course any of the individual participants could theoretically decide to do what's best for the league instead of what's best for themselves, but no one will, because there's no assurance anyone else will follow their example.

Old
09-08-2012, 10:55 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:

Yes there is! Make the conscious decision to stop offering 13yr/$100m contracts. Stop offering middling players like Ville Leino $27m over six years. There are plenty of things owners can do to end the madness. They just choose not to, and now they want the players to take it on the chin for the owners dumb decisions.
I really dont think your even thinking this through. How do owners decide who gets to sign certain players? I mean if free will was the only thing controlling contract then who decides who can make the highest offer and who decides what the highest offer should be?

The owners cant police contracts without limits in place, its impossible. Basically your asking for something similar to collusion. Which is funny.

Old
09-08-2012, 11:03 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I really dont think your even thinking this through. How do owners decide who gets to sign certain players? I mean if free will was the only thing controlling contract then who decides who can make the highest offer and who decides what the highest offer should be?

The owners cant police contracts without limits in place, its impossible. Basically your asking for something similar to collusion. Which is funny.
Thank you. This is exactly what I've been saying.

People are expecting all 30 owners to collectively decide on their own that they simply won't compete for top level free agents. That's just completely naive and impossible. If you want those guys, you've gotta pay the most.

Old
09-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Thank you. This is exactly what I've been saying.

People are expecting all 30 owners to collectively decide on their own that they simply won't compete for top level free agents. That's just completely naive and impossible. If you want those guys, you've gotta pay the most.
Agree. 30 owners are trying to win. Some are trying harder than others. People, owners including, are generally doing what they want, especially in America and Canada. The only way to restrict contracts and the issue of rising costs is to put rules in place. Otherwise, guys like Pegula are going to do whatever they can get away with in their quest to win.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Zip15

Quote:

Strawman alert. I've never suggested any conspiratorial practice to keep prices down. By the way you have completely changed your argument from "the league needs to contract 1/3rd of its teams because contracts are out of control" to "there need to be some restrictions in place on contract length." The former set off this ****storm and given how embarrassingly stupid the argument was, it's wholly unsurprising that you're retreating from it.

Anyways, I'm a pragmatist and I recognize that owners would continue to make poor, inefficient decisions in the player market, and, thus, they'll likely have to borrow the NBA's concept of max deals. But you were not arguing that from the beginning. There's a significant difference between max contracts and taking the unprecedented step of contracting 1/3rd of a pro league.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:27 PM
sabresandcanucks

I am very sympathetic to Zip's argument in principle...but falling back on Free Will alone is not the best argument here...if that is the argument...I've only read the last page.

GM's and owners do not operate in a vacuum...nor do human beings in general. Our level of freedom is limited and shaped by the environment we find ourselves in. GM's have to think about keeping their jobs, owners about putting fans in seats, selling merchandise, corporate sponsorship's...etc.

With that said, they could theoretically hold back and not offer the outlandish deals they have been doing...but that could mean losing their jobs (GM's) or lost revenue (owners).

But to Zip's point, if there is a "villain" here it is not the players. To spend outrageous amounts of money on players and then cry poor is very hypocritical.

The NHL financially is a two tier league. The problem is twofold. How long is the league willing to stomach having franchises in markets that seem unwilling to embrace the game enough that they can be financially competitive...and two, in order to prop those franchises up who should have to foot their bill? In my opinion it should be the owners...install a luxury tax, let the Buffalo's, Vancouver's, Toronto's, New York's...etc. of the world spend as much as they like and use that money to help out the poorer teams. If the "tax" is heavy enough so that big market teams can only spend 10 - 15 million over the CAP without incurring massive revenue sharing costs, the league could still stay somewhat competitive.

Maybe they could install something like any "buried" (any contract over 1.5 million per season that is not an entry level deal) contract in the AHL has to be matched dollar for dollar in escrow payments.

Closed Thread