HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All CBA talk goes here (NHL offers 50/50 deal - 82 game deadline passed)

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Until we get to 9/15, I won't worry about it. Look at the NFL negotiations: a month before they struck the deal it was still all doom and gloom. Once they get agreement on some things these deal tend to end up falling in place--it's that initial movement that tends to be the hardest part.

Granted Bettman/Fehr aren't exactly confidence inspiring when it comes to resolving labor negotiations...

Old
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Professional sports commissioner Gary Bettman manages 3 lockouts in less than 20 years.
Hey, the man knows what he likes: labor disputes, moronic owners, and starving Mike Modano's dog. The lockout will give us all more time to stream Quebec Remparts games though, and maybe even a Kelowna Rockets game here and there. Isnt that what's really important? Then we can win the draft lotto next year, draft McKinnon, and Ted Black's recreation of the Pittsburgh team will be a little bit furthered.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:05 PM
BowieSabresFan

Yet the owners don't mind (some of them at least) tossing around pretty large contracts.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:07 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I agree. I don't know how the owners can try and cry about costs weeks after handing out tons of stupid contracts.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters on Thursday that the NHL will lock out its players if there is no new collective bargaining agreement by the time the old agreement expires on Sept. 15.

"We reiterated to the union that the owners will not play another year under the current agreement," he told a scrum of reporters in New York after the latest talks.

"I re-confirmed something that the union has been told multiple times over the last nine to 12 months. Namely, that the time is getting short and the owners are not prepared to operate under this collective bargaining agreement for another season so we need to get to making a deal and doing it soon. And we believe there's ample time for the parties to get together and make a deal and that's what we're going to be working towards."

Reports indicate that NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, who just returned from a player information session overseas, is expected to make a counter-proposal on Tuesday. He mentioned earlier this summer that the players were willing to keep working past Sept. 15 as long as solid progress was being made in the negotiations.

The owners' July 13 proposal reportedly asked for a decrease of hockey-related revenue the players currently receive to 46 percent - down from 57 percent.

League revenues reached $3.3 billion last season.

If there is another lockout next month, it would be the third since Bettman arrived as NHL commissioner in 1993. The 1994-95 lockout shortened the season to a 48-game schedule and the 2004-05 lockout cancelled the entire campaign.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402741

Get ready for another round of acrimony and finger-pointing at each other to win public sentiment....

Old
08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Afino
The Juice

Hat trick of lockouts......

.....still an "awesome" commish because he makes the league money.

WAY TO GO!

Old
08-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Hat trick of lockouts......

.....still an "awesome" commish because he makes the league money.

WAY TO GO!
What amazes me is the sheer arrogance of the owners - they basically rammed the salary rollbacks down the players' throats to end the last lockout, which built up a lot of resentment by the NHLPA since then. Yet, here the league comes again, expecting the players to swallow an 11% reduction of revenue sharing?

And who exactly is setting the marketplace in terms of salaries? Certainly not the ones cashing the checks.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Bettman: “We need to be paying out less in player costs”

Fehr: NHLPA counteroffer expected on Tuesday

It will be interesting to see how outside the box with regards to revenue sharing the NHLPA's counteroffer is.

I wouldn't be shocked if Fehr tries to go with a non-capped first offer with expanded revenue sharing that would widen spending so that the low revenue teams don't have to struggle to get to a cap floor and the big revenue clubs can spend as much as they want.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:37 AM
rkorchinski

Tell the owners to stop offering the contracts. That is not a player issue.

"You are worth what someone is willing to pay".

Old
08-10-2012, 10:42 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorchinski View Post
Tell the owners to stop offering the contracts. That is not a player issue.

"You are worth what someone is willing to pay".
The problem is the revenue gap from the top end teams (Rangers, Flyers, etc.) and the low end teams (Yotes, Panthers, etc.).

I have no problem with the NHL owners trying to negotiate a system that works for more than just the high revenue owners and the players.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The problem is the revenue gap from the top end teams (Rangers, Flyers, etc.) and the low end teams (Yotes, Panthers, etc.).

I have no problem with the NHL owners trying to negotiate a system that works for more than just the high revenue owners and the players.
Honestky that's not very feasible without hacking the salary cap WAY down, limit the valueand term of contracts, or make all FAs follow RFA rules. None of that would fly with the players.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:04 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Honestky that's not very feasible without hacking the salary cap WAY down, limit the valueand term of contracts, or make all FAs follow RFA rules. None of that would fly with the players.
The NHLPA could propose an MLB-type system with expanded revenue sharing and no cap. It will be interesting to see if the owners would go for something like that.

There are ways to address some of the issues with the current system without just lowering the cap big time and rolling back salaries. And not all of them will negatively affect competitive balance.

For instance, adding a "franchise tag" ala the NFL could help star player retention.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
The NHLPA could propose an MLB-type system with expanded revenue sharing and no cap. It will be interesting to see if the owners would go for something like that.

There are ways to address some of the issues with the current system without just lowering the cap big time and rolling back salaries. And not all of them will negatively affect competitive balance.

For instance, adding a "franchise tag" ala the NFL could help star player retention.
I don't know how well an MLB type system would "allow small market teams to remain competitive"

As for the franchise tag, that is a fairly good idea. Making the rules more like the NFL might be good for the league...

Old
08-10-2012, 01:38 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I don't know how well an MLB type system would "allow small market teams to remain competitive"

As for the franchise tag, that is a fairly good idea. Making the rules more like the NFL might be good for the league...
MLB has had better competitive balance over the past decade than the NFL and NBA if you look at how many teams have made the post-season, gotten to the World Series, and won the World Series.

It all boils down to being able to draft well and make smart decisions with signing players.

I think contract length limits could hurt smaller market clubs as it won't allow them to lock up core guys and they would hit UFA earlier and more often.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:11 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
MLB has had better competitive balance over the past decade than the NFL and NBA if you look at how many teams have made the post-season, gotten to the World Series, and won the World Series.

It all boils down to being able to draft well and make smart decisions with signing players.

I think contract length limits could hurt smaller market clubs as it won't allow them to lock up core guys and they would hit UFA earlier and more often.

Admittedly I don't know too much about MLB, but any league boils down to the ability to draft well and make smart decisions with signing players. In a perfect world that would keep the teams even.

As for contract length limits, the only reason I bring it up is that that is one of the things that the owners want to do (apparently). Limit contracts to 5 years.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Admittedly I don't know too much about MLB, but any league boils down to the ability to draft well and make smart decisions with signing players. In a perfect world that would keep the teams even.

As for contract length limits, the only reason I bring it up is that that is one of the things that the owners want to do (apparently). Limit contracts to 5 years.
The owners want to limit contract lengths just so that it reduces buyouts if they miss big time on a deal.

I don't have a problem with the long contracts. It just makes the need to make the right call on a player even more important. But, it gives teams the ability to lock in core guys, which is a good thing IMO.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:53 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
The owners want to limit contract lengths just so that it reduces buyouts if they miss big time on a deal.

I don't have a problem with the long contracts. It just makes the need to make the right call on a player even more important. But, it gives teams the ability to lock in core guys, which is a good thing IMO.
I agree 100%. In fact I would be disappointed if they did limit the terms. I'm just trying my best to see things from their point of view. All I'm getting is "I'm greedy and I want more money." =/

Old
08-10-2012, 03:14 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ed-by-sept-15/

Quote:
Hainsey just spoke on behalf of NHLPA, said he “absolutely” thinks a new deal can be done by September 15.

NHL Deputy commissioner Bill Daly also “optimistic” a deal can get done but admits it will require a lot of “hard work.”

Old
08-10-2012, 03:16 PM
joshjull

Quote:

The MLB model would be a disaster for the NHL.

Quote:
I think contract length limits could hurt smaller market clubs as it won't allow them to lock up core guys and they would hit UFA earlier and more often
Actually its the opposite. Contract limits, along with the owners request of salary = cap hit for the length of the deal, would help smaller clubs since they operate on a set budget. The Preds, for example, can budget for Weber at 7.5mil if it was his salary and cap hit. Its how they structured Rinne's deal. What they can't handle are huge front loaded contracts. They are biting a huge financial bullet hanging on to Weber.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-10-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 03:19 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Its not about buyouts. They want to limit the length of contracts AND make the cap hit the same for all years to put a drag on actual salaries. Those two ideas need to be paired when debating this. In the last few years the actually salaries in these front loaded deals has skyrocketed. We have two of them (Ehrhoff and Myers). This puts enormous financial pressure on smaller markets that set their budgets based on actual salaries and not cap hits.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 03:33 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its not about buyouts. They want to limit the length of contracts AND make the cap hit the same for all years to put a drag on actual salaries. Those two ideas need to be paired when debating this. In the last few years the actually salaries in these front loaded deals has skyrocketed. We have two of them (Ehrhoff and Myers). This puts enormous financial pessure on smaller markets that set their budgets based on actual salaries and not cap hits.
Why couldn't they have no limits on length and just make the salary flat every year of a deal like the cap hit is today?

You get the same "cost certainty" either way.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:40 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
The MLB model would be a disaster for the NHL.
How so?

If it included much larger revenue sharing like MLB has, it could make for a healthier financial situation for the teams that are having a hard time getting to the cap floor and getting anywhere near break even.

The NHLPA most likely will fight for a long time if the NHL tries to get a cap situation like they did last time around that works for the low revenue clubs.

Just look at the cap growth since the last lockout. The gap between the haves and have nots just keeps widening.

Revenue sharing being expanded is the only way to solve that issue.

Quote:
Actually its the opposite. Contract limits, along with the owners request of salary = cap hit for the length of the deal, would help smaller clubs since they operate on a set budget. The Preds, for example, can budget for Weber at 7.5mil if it was his salary and cap hit. Its how they structured Rinne's deal. What they can't handle are huge front loaded contracts. They are biting a huge financial bullet hanging on to Weber.
I have no problem with making the cap hit and salaries flat over the length of a deal.

I just don't see contract limits being a good thing for smaller market clubs.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Why couldn't they have no limits on length and just make the salary flat every year of a deal like the cap hit is today?

You get the same "cost certainty" either way.
They certainly could do that. But the shorter length protects the smaller markets.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
How so?

If it included much larger revenue sharing like MLB has, it could make for a healthier financial situation for the teams that are having a hard time getting to the cap floor and getting anywhere near break even.

The NHLPA most likely will fight for a long time if the NHL tries to get a cap situation like they did last time around that works for the low revenue clubs.

Just look at the cap growth since the last lockout. The gap between the haves and have nots just keeps widening.

Revenue sharing being expanded is the only way to solve that issue.
I agree and that doesn't require the MLB model to make it happen.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:51 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Part of the cap growth has been the 5% escalator clause that the players exercised, smartly, only this year.

The owners should never have given 57% of revenues to the players PLUS an escalator under their cap rules.

Closed Thread