HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXIX, The "How Much Is Too Much?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 07:55 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXIX, The "How Much Is Too Much?" Edition

Continue the discussion here?

So Shane "Effing" O'Brien got a 3 year deal from the Avs at $2mil/year, and he's one of the most useless **** in the league.

Sets the price for Carkner, IMO. Is anyone willing to do 3 years @ $2mil/year for Carks?

Old
06-27-2012, 07:56 AM
the tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Continue the discussion here?

So Shane "Effing" O'Brien got a 3 year deal from the Avs at $2mil/year, and he's one of the most useless **** in the league.

Sets the price for Carkner, IMO. Is anyone willing to do 3 years @ $2mil/year for Carks?
carks won't get near 2.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:01 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tribute View Post
carks won't get near 2.
I'm just saying that Carkner's agent would definitely be able to use O'Brien as a comparable in negotiations.

I'm not saying he WILL get $2, but he very well could, after the SOB contract. I agree $2mil for Carkner would be ridiculous, though I'm sure everyone knows my stance on Carkner by now.

I mean, Boogaard (R.I.P.) got $1.625mil/year over 4 years. Don't underestimate the power of a stupid GM overpaying for fists, especially now that the SOB contract is out there.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
If Carkner tries to use that contract as a comparable we let him walk and say good luck. Anything over 1 year 1 mil is an overpayment for Carkner IMO.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:25 AM
operasen

From what Murray was indicating about Carkner and Winchester, they may not "like" the offer presented.

I have the feeling it may have been a two-way deal. Winchester to play through his recovery and Carkner just to play out the season's games in AHL and help Richardson, when he is not up here.

Just a feeling. Winchester and Carkner would keep their salary no doubt, just spend more time down than sitting and not dressing.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Carkner imo earned at least a 1 year contract With his playoff beat down of Turtle. He should get 2 years/2 million.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:49 AM
sens2k9

re: carkner

I don't think he's "worth" 2 million/year, but people need to wrap their heads around the fact that the salary cap will be around $70mil.

He's a UFA.
There are comparable contracts out there.
He's worth more than $1mil, but less than $2mil.

However, he's proven (minus the knee injury) that he can take a semi-regular shift and still provide enough toughness to keep the other team honest. That's a valuable commodity in today's NHL, and its not as common as people think.

He's not that old (31).
People here sure like to think that anything over 30 is a dinosaur, but look at Alfredsson for guidance (praise alfie). He's had his best years AFTER the age of 33 in the new NHL.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:50 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
If Carkner tries to use that contract as a comparable we let him walk and say good luck. Anything over 1 year 1 mil is an overpayment for Carkner IMO.
Carkner is the one of the main reason we took the series lead vs the Rangers. I don't mind we overpay at 2M per on a 2 year term, he deserved it. That 1M more would be insificant on our salary cap and won't be needed in the next two years.

He most likely would be looking at 1.5M for 3 years IMO.

My only problem with Carkner getting 2M, how much Chris Neil will be asking?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 AM
longsuffering

Consider Carkner a former Senator, other teams see the value and will offer longer term ( 3 - 4 yr ) @ 1000000/per, enough for him to uproot family and move on to a franchise that will appreciate what he brings to the table, and to the people on this board who think Borocop can replace his toughness, I feel sorry for the kid, there are only about 5 guys in the league who are as crazy sick tough as Carks, and even fewer who can take a regular shift. While he does have plenty of weaknesses, he is an NHL dman who ideally plays 10 -12 min a night, brings up the toughness level of the entire team and gives your star players a little more room and confidence to do their thing without having to worry about chumps trying to take them of their game. He is mean and opposing teams do not like to play against him. Playoffs or not, not one NY Ranger got in his face or said boo after he straight up beat down Boyle, like it or not, other teams want that kind of influence for their team.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
While I agree anything over 1M is an overpayment, we got plenty of cap space. So as long as the term is short and doesn't get in the way I can deal with it.

06-27-2012, 08:52 AM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Carkner imo earned at least a 1 year contract With his playoff beat down of Turtle. He should get 2 years/2 million.
Exactly. He brought the team closer together in that series, also became more loved by the fans. I hope Murray tries his best to get a deal done without overpaying.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:55 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Exactly. He brought the team closer together in that series, also became more loved by the fans. I hope Murray tries his best to get a deal done without overpaying.
Without overpaying: why not... why does it matter for a couple of years... how much is overpaying? Someone has to play these roles as an enforcer and a 7th D.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Tuna99

Carks should look for a long term deal and if nothing is there Ottawa should give him a 1yr/ $750 000 deal and then take it year by year after that

Winnie we should do 3 yr / $1 million per - he's an elite 4th liner and those guys are so valuable when you have a young team

Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Without overpaying: why not... why does it matter for a couple of years... how much is overpaying?
He doesn't play every night, so I'd think 2 million+ is overpaying. I hope he gets signed for 1-2 million.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Without overpaying: why not... why does it matter for a couple of years... how much is overpaying?
I agree to some extent. I figure we won't be spending to the cap for another 2-3 years, so as long as the term is 1-2 years even if he got 1.5M-2M it shouldn't hurt us.

As you mentioned tho it might give other players some leverage for their next contracts.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Carks should look for a long term deal and if nothing is there Ottawa should give him a 1yr/ $750 000 deal and then take it year by year after that

Winnie we should do 3 yr / $1 million per - he's an elite 4th liner and those guys are so valuable when you have a young team
You can be sure that if the Sens do not sign Carkner, 10 teams would be lining up for his services.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:02 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
I agree to some extent. I figure we won't be spending to the cap for another 2-3 years, so as long as the term is 1-2 years even if he got 1.5M-2M it shouldn't hurt us.

As you mentioned tho it might give other players some leverage for their next contracts.
The leverage part is my only concern; Turris will be an RFA in 2013, Foligno should ask for 1M-1.5M more than Carkner.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:03 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
You can be sure that if the Sens do not sign Carkner, 10 teams would be lining up for his services.
There's probably 10 teams interested in Wojtek Wolski, too.

Now, I'm not trying to compare Wolski to Carkner here: I'm just saying that we shouldn't be looking at a player simply because someone else is interested. What other teams do or don't do shouldn't affect who we target. Stick to our offseason plan, regardless of the names other teams have on their UFA lists.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
There's probably 10 teams interested in Wojtek Wolski, too.

Now, I'm not trying to compare Wolski to Carkner here: I'm just saying that we shouldn't be looking at a player simply because someone else is interested. What other teams do or don't do shouldn't affect who we target. Stick to our offseason plan, regardless of the names other teams have on their UFA lists.
I would hope that our offseason plan is not to become softer by letting a guy like Carkner go.

Players with grit

Forward: Smith, Foligno, Neil
Defense: Cowen... Carkner

Guys like Phillips, Michalek, Greening, Winchester are not afraid of the physical play but are not on the same level.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

This is what I mean.

19Sens11 comes and tells me that Marc Methot is actually deserving of a $1 000 000 contract, right after Shane ****ing O Brien (not much better than Matt ****ing Carkner) gets $2 000 000.

Embarrassing.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Just because we have a ton of cap space doesn't mean we should overpay players because we can.... Sure Carkner adds some toughness to the backend but it doesn't mean we should be paying him 2mil + just because we have the money. If that's the case i'd rather let Borowiecki have a spot on the backend.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post

So much fascination with Winnie, this guy is injury prone

Old
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Just because we have a ton of cap space doesn't mean we should overpay players because we can.... Sure Carkner adds some toughness to the backend but it doesn't mean we should be paying him 2mil + just because we have the money. If that's the case i'd rather let Borowiecki have a spot on the backend.
I agree. I love Carks but overpayment for him will set the precedent for players like him to demand high $ in the future which could cause issues for the Sens, not to mention the other 29 teams.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Tape2Tape

At his age, this is likely Carkner's only shot at getting a contract that will make sure he and his family are very comfortable for the rest of their lives.

I don't blame him for not putting ink to paper until he sees what else might be out there.

If a team offers him 2 years at 1M a season, Bryan Murray will probably give him a big high five and congratulate him while walking him out the door.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
JackBauer

Carkner - 3 yrs/1.5M per. Ideally 2 yrs would be better
Winnie - 3 yrs/1M - anything more is too much for a guy that is always injured.

Closed Thread