HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXIX, The "How Much Is Too Much?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Screw Nash and cie,

Trade Zbad + for Yandle
Sign Doan 2 years + 1 @ 5M per

Forwards: 31.3M
Michalek - Spezza - Doan : 4.33 / 7 / 5 = 16.33
Silverberg - Turris - Alfie : 900k / 1.4 / 4.9 = 7.2
Greening - Smith - Foligno : 800k /700k / 2.3M = 3.8
Condra - JOB - Neil: 600k / 800k / 2 = 3.4
Stone 600k on top 6

Defense: 22.6
Cowen - Karlsson 7.8
Yandle - Phillips 8.3
Borocop - Gonchar 6.1
Carkner 1.4

Anderson/Bishop 3.8M

Total: around 58M

Eventually trade Gonchar and get a more physical defenseman/prospect
Bolded: leaders

1st Power play unit
Michalek - Spezza - Doan
Yandle karlsson

2nd
Silverberg - Turris - Alfie
Cowen - Gonchar

I'd rather have

Michalek - Spezza - Doan
Alfie - Karlsson

Silfverberg - Turris - Foligno
Yandle - Gonchar

Old
06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
James Gordon ‏@SensReporter
At Sens lunch, Dorion says team very interested in PA Parenteau if the price is right.
I still think Parenteau ends up a Senator, regardless of how we feel about it (pro or against). Too much smoke for there to be no fire.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I still think Parenteau ends up a Senator, regardless of how we feel about it (pro or against). Too much smoke for there to be no fire.
More smoke!!!

Don Brennan ‏@SunDoniB

Senators D of PP Pierre Dorion on UFA Parenteau: "Hopefully he's someone we can entice to come to Ottawa once he's free July 1."

Old
06-27-2012, 01:02 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

In our daily Schultz update:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

26 NHL teams have expressed interest in UFA dman Justin Schultz, a shortlist of 5, give or take a team or two, likely by this afternoon.
You know, I'm interested to know which 3 NHL teams did NOT express interest in Schultz.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:

You know, I'm interested to know which 3 NHL teams did NOT express interest in Schultz.
Anaheim
Nashville
Phoenix

are my guesses.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Dick Grayson

Quote:

This has Wang written all over it.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
This has Wang written all over it.
The fact that NYI drafted 7 dmen this year, I would think Snow would make a pitch for him.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:18 PM
topshelfie

Quote:

Anaheim

Old
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
Orr and Carkner have different health issues that have limited their games played the last 2 seasons. Although Orr's issues are more career threatening, Carkner still has a chance to rebound to his previous form if his knee is fully rehabilitated. I'd have no issues going 1-1.5m on a 2-3 year deal with Carkner, we're unlikely to reach the cap ceiling anytime soon and the policing and protection Carkner provides to our stars like Karlsson is invaluable.
It would be impossible for Carkner to protect anyone when he's spending the vast majority of his time in the press box.

Why not sign a guy like Konopka to a league minimum contract? He can drop the gloves with anyone, he's an excellent face off man, great team guy and if you had to shorten the bench because of him it wouldn't have the same impact of taking one of your 6 defensemen off the ice.

Not to mention, you almost certainly wouldn't have to give Konopka a multiyear, multimillion dollar contract that you'd be regretting within the calendar year.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post

Sign Doan 2 years + 1 @ 5M per
We can't sign Doan, too many French Canadians in the area

Old
06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Well, letting Carkner go doesn't decrease "team toughness" if we're planning on replacing him with a better player who is also tough. We have no idea what management's plans are. For all we know, Murray has already agreed to a back-room deal with a guy like Bryan Allen (because yes, it does happen), or plans to make a trade for someone.

It's not like Matt Carkner is the only tough player in the league.
Uh, yes it most certainly does. Especially if Bryan Allen is the best example you can come up with, that would significantly hurt our team toughness.

You don't lose a "bit" of toughness by replacing Carkner with Allen. That's like saying we'd lose a bit of offense by replacing Karlsson with Campoli. Allen is closer to soft for a player his size than feared.

Why 4 pages have been wasted on hypotheticals that are very unlikely (Carkner's agent considering him on O'Brien's level) is confusing enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
Why not sign a guy like Konopka instead to a league minimum contract?
Because Konopka's agent isn't stupid and he won't be accepting a league minimum contract?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Anaheim
Nashville
Phoenix

are my guesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Anaheim
Yeah, I already accounted for Anaheim.

30 teams in the league (-) 26 teams who are interested (-) Anaheim = 3 teams.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:28 PM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
More smoke!!!

Don Brennan ‏@SunDoniB

Senators D of PP Pierre Dorion on UFA Parenteau: "Hopefully he's someone we can entice to come to Ottawa once he's free July 1."
and Jiri Hudler is a known comodity to MacLean.

The young guns (Silverberg, Stone, Zibanejad, Petersson, etc,) if they can push a vet for a spot will really make this a tough final cut. Trades could keep the cupboard stocking next year as well.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Uh, yes it most certainly does. Especially if Bryan Allen is the best example you can come up with, that would significantly hurt our team toughness.

You don't lose a "bit" of toughness by replacing Carkner with Allen. That's like saying we'd lose a bit of offense by replacing Karlsson with Campoli. Allen is closer to soft for a player his size than feared.

Why 4 pages have been wasted on hypotheticals that are very unlikely (Carkner's agent considering him on O'Brien's level) is confusing enough.

Because Konopka's agent isn't stupid and he won't be accepting a league minimum contract?
He's been a league min. player his whole career. How does that change this time around?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:32 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:

With the changes to the NHL's faceoff rules, and considering the ways in which Konopka wins a TON of his faceoffs (which are now illegal), Konopka's agent should be worried about getting a 1-way deal first, THEN worry about salary.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:32 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Maybe our interest in Tootoo was because we are letting Carkner go?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
We can't sign Doan, too many French Canadians in the area
But none on our current roster.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
He's been a league min. player his whole career. How does that change this time around?
I think you need a refresher on the league minimum, the league minimum is 525,000. Konopka made more than that last season (as well as the season before) and will certainly this season as well. After his playoff performance I'm curious what makes you think he'd want to re-sign for league minimum? Or even at all, given the amount of times he was a healthy scratch, as well as Murray's comments on UFA's turning down his offers, barring a raise.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Bileur

Quote:

While I do agree we should keep Carkner, I don't see why you need to put down Allen. We should get both those guys IMO. Allen may not be a heavyweight but he would be a good addition to our top four, a defensive guy that blocks shots and a great stop gap option for Karlsson's partner who can play physical, clear the front of the net and watch Karlsson's back (while we wait for Cowen to develop).

You can bet your *** that had Bryan Allen been on the ice for the sens when Boyle started sucker punching Karlsson he'd have dropped the gloves and dealt with the problem right away. (he might not have won the fight but he would have stood up for EK)

Old
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
It would be impossible for Carkner to protect anyone when he's spending the vast majority of his time in the press box.

Why not sign a guy like Konopka to a league minimum contract? He can drop the gloves with anyone, he's an excellent face off man, great team guy and if you had to shorten the bench because of him it wouldn't have the same impact of taking one of your 6 defensemen off the ice.

Not to mention, you almost certainly wouldn't have to give Konopka a multiyear, multimillion dollar contract that you'd be regretting within the calendar year.
Carkner is a top 3 heavyweight in the league, that's why you can't even compare Konopka with him. Chris Neil and Zenon Konopka don't intimidate anyone (I love them both). Matt Carkner does, and he can play regular minutes on the bottom pairing when healthy. That's a very rare commodity to have in the NHL.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
While I do agree we should keep Carkner, I don't see why you need to put down Allen. We should get both those guys IMO. Allen may not be a heavyweight but he would be a good addition to our top four, a defensive guy that blocks shots and a great stop gap option for Karlsson's partner who can play physical, clear the front of the net and watch Karlsson's back (while we wait for Cowen to develop).

You can bet your *** that had Bryan Allen been on the ice for the sens when Boyle started sucker punching Karlsson he'd have dropped the gloves and dealt with the problem right away. (he might not have won the fight but he would have stood up for EK)
Are we talking about the same Bryan Allen? The one who had 2 fights this year in 82 games? I'll gladly take that bet. I wouldn't have a problem with signing Allen, due to our lacking in the department of competent defensemen, but not only is he certainly not a heavyweight, he's not even a feared defensemen.

Quote:
With the changes to the NHL's faceoff rules, and considering the ways in which Konopka wins a TON of his faceoffs (which are now illegal), Konopka's agent should be worried about getting a 1-way deal first, THEN worry about salary.
Konopka doesn't win the majority of his faceoffs that way, not even close.

He is likely quite content you're not his agent.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Carkner is a top 3 heavyweight in the league, that's why you can't even compare Konopka with him. Chris Neil and Zenon Konopka don't intimidate anyone (I love them both). Matt Carkner does, and he can play regular minutes on the bottom pairing when healthy. That's a very rare commodity to have in the NHL.
I'd say Neil is more intimidating because he hits, just ask Drury, Boychuk, Boyle to name a few. Carkner is a goon, but few people will actually fight him nowadays.

Better to lose a 4th liner for 5min and/or misconducts than a D-man.

Oh and Konopka doesn't fight, he wrestles or whatever you want to call it, that's not fighting

Outside of faceoffs, Konopka is an awful player, plus do you want to have his sister sing the anthem again ?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 400
Ugh, don't want Parenteau. He's going to cash in thanks to John Tavares.

I think he can get 4 million on the open market, money I don't want to spend on a player like that.

No thanks to Tootoo. He's a bum like Tucker was. Dirty, cheap shots takes dumb penalties.

Winchester has been replaced by a cheaper O'Brien. Ccarks I want back as the 7th d...

Old
longsuffering

Quote:

WOW, thank you PKC for imparting some more of your infinite wisdom, the bolded statement alone proves your hockey IQ, however by your reasoning would it not also be impossible for Konopka to protect anyone when he's spending the vast majority of his time in the press box?

Old
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Chris Neil definitely intimidates most if not all opponents. The hits he lays on guys are much more devastating than the wrestling matches Carkner gets into. He's also the best pound for pound fighter in the league. There are maybe 5 guys who all would have 50+ pounds on him who can take him in a fair fight. Its really insulting actually that you would lump Neil in with Konopka.

Having said that, I fully support bringing Carkner back as a #7. He is valuable. Konopka not so much. There's just no room and the new faceoff rules make him less valuable. Smith will have to untuck his sack and take on that role.

Closed Thread