HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger is the new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 02:51 PM
WaitingForUser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Thought I would bump this as the topic came up in an inappropriate thread. Hopefully the discussion can continue here without name calling and insults.

I believe that it is likely that Krueger will stifle Yakupov and some of the other young kids.

I think he was a lazy stupid hire who was brought on board both out of convenience and possibly due to financial concerns (dont want to pay too many ex-coaches at the same time).

I would hate to see him suck the soul and enthusiasm out of players like Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, RNH and Schultz.

Thoughts?
Considering he was the guy running our PP last year and the creativity that was displayed, I would tend to disagree with this sentiment. IMO the players seemed to be let loose on way more occasions when Krueger was stepping in for Renney last year. 6-1 Calgary game comes to mind.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Thought I would bump this as the topic came up in an inappropriate thread. Hopefully the discussion can continue here without name calling and insults.

I believe that it is likely that Krueger will stifle Yakupov and some of the other young kids.

I think he was a lazy stupid hire who was brought on board both out of convenience and possibly due to financial concerns (dont want to pay too many ex-coaches at the same time).

I would hate to see him suck the soul and enthusiasm out of players like Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, RNH and Schultz.

Thoughts?
That it's more misdirected Frustration and a process you pretend to have some insight into, though I doubt it's highly substantial. That said, I guess we can only hope, right?

Old
10-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
Considering he was the guy running our PP last year and the creativity that was displayed, I would tend to disagree with this sentiment. IMO the players seemed to be let loose on way more occasions when Krueger was stepping in for Renney last year. 6-1 Calgary game comes to mind.

True, but I also remember other games he coached, and interviews where he basically said he was playing for a tie or something like that.

Then there is his time with the Swiss National team, which was a feel good story, but was very trappy, boring and stifling.

I think RNH had more to do with our pp success than Krueger tbh.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Lacaar

Quote:

Thoughts?
Naturally will have to see how the team plays and the results. You can't argue with success. So if they win lots it'll make for a tough argument.

If they lose lots it's the same thing anyways.. Damn coach.

The only thing I have to go on is the Schultz, Hall, and Eberle signings. They've dealt with Ralph and I'm guessing they'd disagree with your perception.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Krut

Quote:
True, but I also remember other games he coached, and interviews where he basically said he was playing for a tie or something like that.

Then there is his time with the Swiss National team, which was a feel good story, but was very trappy, boring and stifling.

What other strategy would you expect him to use when coaching the Swiss National Team? Run and gun? That team has absolutely nobody who can score at a consistant pace at the international level.

Instead of focusing on a system in which he had basically no choice but to use, maybe we should talk about how he turned the Swiss team from a laughing stock into a team that is now just outside the major hockey powers in under a decade?

Old
10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
doulos

Quote:

Can you point me to these interviews where he said he was laying for a tie?

As for the Swiss team the only option for them to compete at all against much better teams was to play the system they used. And it worked. Which means he's a coach who seems to adapt. I love it.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Can you point me to these interviews where he said he was laying for a tie?

As for the Swiss team the only option for them to compete at all against much better teams was to play the system they used. And it worked. Which means he's a coach who seems to adapt. I love it.
It was against Vancouver I'm pretty sure. He said something like he was a happy to be tied with them after a couple periods.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan91 View Post
It was against Vancouver I'm pretty sure. He said something like he was a happy to be tied with them after a couple periods.
Thanks. I cant recall specifically, but I know that it was noted and talked about by some.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:21 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan91 View Post
Which means that he plays for a tie? Still would love to hear/read this interview.

Sonds an awful lot like 'we didn't play well, so happy to be in a tie right now' but maybe it is something different.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
What other strategy would you expect him to use when coaching the Swiss National Team? Run and gun? That team has absolutely nobody who can score at a consistant pace at the international level.

Instead of focusing on a system in which he had basically no choice but to use, maybe we should talk about how he turned the Swiss team from a laughing stock into a team that is now just outside the major hockey powers in under a decade?
I was amazed by the Swiss team. I was happy to get Krueger here in the first place. But man, I gotta say watching Renney do his Mact act wore thin fast. Im not sure Krueger is any different. My expectations are low.

I dont like how they handled the whole affair either. Letting Renney hang with his ass in the wind. Taking forever then deciding to hire Krueger. Not interviewing or even contacting what one would think would be solid candidates.

It was bizarre.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
I was amazed by the Swiss team. I was happy to get Krueger here in the first place. But man, I gotta say watching Renney do his Mact act wore thin fast. Im not sure Krueger is any different. My expectations are low.

I dont like how they handled the whole affair either. Letting Renney hang with his ass in the wind. Taking forever then deciding to hire Krueger. Not interviewing or even contacting what one would think would be solid candidates.

It was bizarre.
Hopefully it's because Krueger is that good, and not because he's just another in the ever growing line of Mac's.

10-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Krut

Quote:

It was bizarre.
I agree with your second point in regards to letting Renney hang in the wind, but I'm not as dismayed as you are with the selection process. The quality of potential head coaches available this past off season may have been at an all time low. The names Sutter, Crawford, and Nelson don't really have me too excited. Nelson was interviewed, and Crawford was (justifiably) turned down after essentially begging for an interview.

They were confidant in what they had in Krueger, the players seem to have confidence in him, and he has turned a poor team into a very solid organization in the past. He did well coaching the special teams last year, and seems to be taking a good approach into the head coach position. I highly doubt that the Oilers staff was as lazy in the selection process as you make it out to be, especially considering the time it took them to fire Renney and hire Krueger.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:

Thoughts?
That's a lot of assumptions Liquor. I think that we should give him a chance first before assuming anything.
I wasn't a huge fan of the hire when it happened but based on the early returns (Schultz promoting the hell out of him, Bowman and Hitchcock speaking very highly of him, the way Krueger comes off in the pressers) that he might be the right man for the job. Either way, we won't know until they hit the ice and we see some results (if the NHL ever comes back).

Old
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Eytinge

Quote:

It was bizarre.
Yeah the whole process didn't leave one feeling confident. Tambo did what he does, rest on his laurels and procrastinate like hell.

I wasn't a Renney fan and even I didn't like how they left him hanging for months.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Question. Do we have enough space in Stockton for all the guys who normally would have been on the AHL roster and now will not because of the current situation? Has a similar agreement been made with the AHL/ECHL like the NHL/AHL?

Old
10-05-2012, 09:41 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:

It was bizarre.
There's little evidence that that happened. Tambellini likes to run a tight ship, so it's likely we didn't hear about it. I recall it leaking out that guys like Nelson, Crawford, and I believe one or two others were talked to. Just because it's not public, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

EDIT: In fact...

Quote:
The Oilers interviewed Marc Crawford, runner-up for the Montreal Canadiens job to Michel Therrien. They talked to rising star Jon Cooper, who has won everywhere he’s been, most recently with Tampa’s AHL championship team in Norfolk, Va. They may have talked to highly successful farm coach Todd Nelson, but feel, for now, he’s more valuable running their club in Oklahoma City. They did not sound out former Calgary coach Brent Sutter for the job, but maybe Sutter’s gig as Canadian team coach at the worlds in Helsinki for weeks was an interview of sorts.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Oiler...#ixzz28TlrZOh6

Old
10-05-2012, 11:06 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

You guys must be REALLY bored...

Old
10-05-2012, 11:51 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

I just really hope we don't see Yakupov moved to left wing where the best part of his game will be essentially nullified, in an attempt to make an underperforming veteran player in Hemsky happy.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I just really hope we don't see Yakupov moved to left wing where the best part of his game will be essentially nullified, in an attempt to make an underperforming veteran player in Hemsky happy.
Yeah that would indeed suck. I'd be more than fine if Hemsky plays on the 3rd line and carries Horcoff and Smyth on his back.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:13 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
This^

Old
10-06-2012, 12:19 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Move Hemsky, the guy is already all over the ice anyways. Most of his PP moments in this video has him in the corner on the LW.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Move Hemsky, the guy is already all over the ice anyways. Most of his PP moments in this video has him in the corner on the LW.

Yup, make use of the onetime threat.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:46 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Ya, Hemsky to the 2nd line LW makes the most sense. He has played there internationally and looked comfortable there in spurts last season in particular on the RNH-Eberle line when the injuries hit. I know that some Russians have been known to succeed on the off wing but having seen plenty of Yakupov now, his game seems perfectly suited for the RW. As Nabob pointed out, moving him to the LW nullifies the strongest aspect of his game which is his left handed shot.
I think that Hemsky on the left side with Yakupov on the right and RNH centering them would be a dynamite line.
Oh and Hall is NOT a center.

Last edited by CupofOil: 10-06-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Jamin

Quote:

Thoughts?
Renney wasnt fired just not re-hired so they wouldnt have to pay him so I doubt paying Quinn kept the team from hiring the coach they wanted

Old
10-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:

Thoughts?
Kudos. Thank you for attempting to create controversy where it didn't exist. Gives us something to talk about.

And response to your statements - there is no current evidence to support your fears..nothing to support your comments about stifling the youth...sucking the enthusiasm...

Good job. Keeps hockey real.

Closed Thread