HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger is the new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Stole this from Calgarypuck. Something decent from there for once.

Quote:
Had a great chat with Ralph Krueger of the Oilers today, as he was in Cowtown speaking at an engagement. I had the change to listen to him, and he is a very intelligent guy with a focused game plan for the Oilers. I have to say he's one of the friendliest, down-to-earth and engaging personalities in pro hockey, and I honestly now believe the Flames are going to have a problem on their hands with him at the Oiler's helm.

Anyways, some cool tidbits:

- On Justin Schultz: was approached by about 10 teams, each team got about 90 minutes in a room full of agents and team management to make their cases. Kreuger, Lowe and Hall met with Schultz, and detailed their plan to rebuild an Edmonton dynasty - and he was the missing piece to something special - more or less the fifth element to Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle and Yakupov. Is very excited to have him join the Oilers - he's already proving his worth in the AHL. Paul Coffey had a hand in selling coming to Edmonton.

- On Sven Baertschi: has watched Sven grow as a player in Switzerland over the years, and cringed when Calgary selected him last year. Sven was funnelled to stardom in Swiss hockey at about the age of 14, getting the chance to play the best Europeans in the junior leagues. Says he is the real deal. Also says Sven has been learning from current crop of Swiss NHL'ers, and has grown his game from their styles. Says Bob Hartley is probably knows more about him now though through their time in Switzerland and connection to the Flames.

- On succeeding in NHL/life: get out of your comfort zone. If you're good at everything, you're not trying hard enough. Challenges his players to be better than they are. At the Salt Lake games in 2002, he sent home Swizterland's two best players because they weren't taking it seriously - doesn't regret it one bit.

- Most inspiring story: Former Canadiens defenseman Paul Dipietro approached him in 2004 at age 34 by a chance meeting and said he wanted to make the Swiss national team. Kreuger didn't like his chances. Two years later he was the hero in Turin at age 36 scoring two goals in a win over Canada. Says Dipietro busted his balls for two straight years, non-stop exercising and focus to make the team. Says he still gets gooebumps every time he tells the story.

- On CBA and lockout: diplomatically dodged the issue

Great guy, very good public speaker. Is also involved with the World Economic Forum, has published a book, and is an motivational speaker for organizations.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Dipietro was a forward.

Cant take the rest seriously.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
I cringed when Sven was taken by CGY too. Really liked the kid.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:17 PM
40oz

Thanks for the post, good stuff.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Nice. I'm pumped for Krueger. Seems like he could be an elite coach

I'm afraid of Sven but I doubt he surpasses more than 1 of the 5 kids

Old
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I've been lurking the Puck for a day or so.
The vitriol they have for Schultz is amazing.
And I also checked in on their first rounder from the last draft, he's 4-4-8 in 12 games played for Providence.

Sven is good but where's the supporting cast ? He won't be able to be a one man show in the NHL.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
And I also checked in on their first rounder from the last draft, he's 4-4-8 in 12 games played for Providence.

Sven is good but where's the supporting cast ? He won't be able to be a one man show in the NHL.
Ales Hemsky 2.0. He'll be a highly skilled player with no one to play with through some of the best years of his career.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Ales Hemsky 2.0. He'll be a highly skilled player with no one to play with through some of the best years of his career.
He to me is more like Iginla 2.0.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
McTowMater14

I just went over to CP to see what the guys over there had to say about that post. Man it was hard to read, it was the only intelligent post and not one person has even commented on it. They are talking over there as if the flames are still gods gift to hockey. Too funny! It took everything I had not to open an account and come unglued. IDIOTS!

I really think that they have their own forum and don't come over here so they can stay in their own bubble and not have to listen to reason or....reality!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
I just went over to CP to see what the guys over there had to say about that post. Man it was hard to read, it was the only intelligent post and not one person has even commented on it. They are talking over there as if the flames are still gods gift to hockey. Too funny! It took everything I had not to open an account and come unglued. IDIOTS!
Well to be fair, they are god's gift to 9th place finishes.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

They know where they sit on the totem pole of "team based websites".
At the very bottom.
And suffer from extreme xenophobia haha Which is why they banned my Justin Schultz username and all it took was a few dudes calling me a troll because of my name and I was banned a few hours later.
It's like the red scare over there, literally.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Ug I let myself forget this. How does Edmonton get out of failure? Keep rewarding failure!

It seems that's our way nowadays

Old
11-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Eytinge

Why do you guys read CP lol? They make no bones about their deal over there, don't you know Calgary is on the right path....

BTW what is the main boards take on Schultz now? Is he still incredibly overrated and overhyped?

Old
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why do you guys read CP lol? They make no bones about their deal over there, don't you know Calgary is on the right path....

BTW what is the main boards take on Schultz now? Is he still incredibly overrated and overhyped?
On CP?

His +/- is a result of his linemates.
His defense is below average because of his high scoring.
Only chose Edmonton for 1st pairing mins and will leave to another team as soon as he has proven his value and can get top dollar on a winning team after UFA.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Cant take the rest seriously.
On what basis?

Old
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
He to me is more like Iginla 2.0.
From everything I have read, heard, and seen from this kid and Calgary's future, Hemsky is a much better comparison.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

Honestly I was reading CP to see how their prospects were doing, mainly Jankowski.

There's a thread on the main NHL forum comparing the UW Dmen, Schultz/Gardiner/McDonagh/Smith. Most of the posters have Schultz rated last because he hasn't played in the NHL yet, most are saying his high AHL production comes as a result of playing with Hall/Nuge/Ebs, an NHL #1 line.

CP has the same MO with Schultz, if it wasn't for those 3 his #'s wouldn't be where they are. Thing that gets me is RNH is 19, Hall just turned 22 and Ebs is 22/23? That's still a REALLY young top line for the NHL.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:58 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Honestly I was reading CP to see how their prospects were doing, mainly Jankowski.

There's a thread on the main NHL forum comparing the UW Dmen, Schultz/Gardiner/McDonagh/Smith. Most of the posters have Schultz rated last because he hasn't played in the NHL yet, most are saying his high AHL production comes as a result of playing with Hall/Nuge/Ebs, an NHL #1 line.

CP has the same MO with Schultz, if it wasn't for those 3 his #'s wouldn't be where they are. Thing that gets me is RNH is 19, Hall just turned 22 and Ebs is 22/23? That's still a REALLY young top line for the NHL.
Not to mention Schultz was tearing the AHL a new a-hole before the kids arrived in OKC.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Da McBomb

As much as I detest Vancouver fans, at least they don't show the same homerism and blind Oiler hatred as many of the Flame fans do on CP. I've read both CP and Canucks forums when I'm bored cuz its always interesting to see what our rivals think of the Oilers. The Canucks forum on Schultz has more posters who admit Schultz will be a great player. Heres a good post I stole from their forum on Schultz:

"Well he was credited with 4 points earlier on. They changed one of his assists away from him. And to the person saying "Oh he's playing with such great players blah blah blah", he's getting points on Hartikainen scoring goals. Here's his log

Game/Goal/Assists

1 Arcobello (Paajarvi, Schultz) (PP)
2 Schultz (Arcobello, Hartikainen)
3 Schultz (Vandevelde) (SH)
3 Hartikainen (Schultz, RNH)
3 Schultz (EN/SH)
4 Schultz (Hartikainen, Pitlick)
5 RNH (Eberle, Schultz) (PP)
5 RNH (Eberle, Schultz) (PP)
6 Paajarvi (Schultz, RNH) (PP)
6 House (Byers, Schultz)
7 Schultz (RNH, Eberle) (PP)
7 Schultz (Paajarvi, RNH) (PP)
8 Eberle (Schultz, Arcobello)
9 RNH (Schultz, Eberle)
9 Eberle (RNH, Schultz) (PP)
12 Schultz (Eberle, Fedun)
13 RNH (Eberle, Schultz) (PP)
13 Hartikainen (Eberle, Schultz) (PP)
14 Fedun (Schultz, Paajarvi)
14 Arcobello (Schultz, Marincin)
15 Schultz (Eberle, RNH) (PP)
16 Schultz (Eberle, RNH)
16 Marincin (Schultz, Hall) (PP)
17 Eberle (Schultz, Hall)
17 RNH (Schultz, Hall)
18 Vandevelde (Schultz) (SH)
18 Eberle (Schultz, RNH)
18 Schultz (Eberle, Hall)

So you see that only 19 of his 28 points had any of RNH, Eberle, or Hall involved (at least on the score sheet), and only 12 of those had 2 of the big 3 involved, leaving 16 points in 18 games where only 1 of them were involved or none of them. Even if you just count the points where none of them were involved (9), 9 points in 16 games for a defencemen is solid, with no stars involved, and I'm sure some of the PP points he got where one or more of Eberle, Hall, or RNH was involed would have come with other players on the ice.

And just because a player's big doesn't mean his point production is going to translate well to the NHL anyways. Look at what Cody Franson has been able to do so far at the NHL level vs his time in the AHL.

And LOL at that statement anyways. Look who led the league in D scoring last season on a bad team. Erik Karlsson - 6'0 180 lbs. Schultz is 6.02 185 lbs (both stats taken from Hockey DB).

I'm no Oilers fan, but this kid is very impressive."

Old
11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
From everything I have read, heard, and seen from this kid and Calgary's future, Hemsky is a much better comparison.
Unlike Hemsky, this kid has pretty good hockey sense. A lot of people are going to look pretty stupid for doubting him.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Unlike Hemsky, this kid has pretty good hockey sense. A lot of people are going to look pretty stupid for doubting him.
Saying that he is like Hemsky is doubting him? Despite popular belief around here, Hemsky is a very good hockey player.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Saying that he is like Hemsky is doubting him? Despite popular belief around here, Hemsky is a very good hockey player.
This kid is going to be much better than Hemsky.

Think Jordan Eberle and you will be getting warm.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Who's doubting him?

Old
11-28-2012, 05:20 PM
40oz

Quote:

Jankowskis numbers are pretty great for a rookie in Hockey East.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer..

I take no credit, its established Mafiosa/art of war type stuff..

Closed Thread