HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger is the new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yup we are, but that's sort of the nature of this, isn't it?
Totally correct, I agree but as I've said before. This team is getting stacked with high end talent. There are two directions that it can go.

1) Up and up to the heights of a consistently good team that wins more than one cup.
2) Up and then even out and be a disappointing team that never reaches what it should do.

We have the talent and what will push us upwards are good coaching, smart management that helps add important pieces. I simply do not like quotes like 'I don't mind giving him a chance...see what he can do...etc" We can't afford to think like this anymore. They have to be right this time with the coach. It seems the management and fan base are getting too used to the attitude of , well if this guys doesn't work out we can get the next guy.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
missedpicks

vCash: 100
B*tch about potential first round pick...end up with consensus pick...B*tch about 2nd round pick.

B*tch about potential coach...end up with consensus coach...B*tch about said coach.

Now if we manage to land Justin Schultz, I wonder how the boo-birds will spin it to be a negative.

The organization, albeit painfully slowly, has made good decisions regarding the first overall pick, and the incoming coach.

It's a painful process to turn around a team that has been run face-first directly into the ground, but the groundwork has been laid for this team make a strong run for playoff contention over the next few years and a shot at loftier goals a few years from now...and while some pieces definitely need to be put in place this year I am pretty hopeful that the Edmonton Oilers will be one of the most exciting hockey teams to watch and be a fan of.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I am not particularly disappointed with Krueger as coach.

I am very disappointed that they're sticking with Buchberger and Smith. It's essentially Ralph all by himself back there.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:27 PM
deep44

@DarrenDreger
Edmtn's young stars are thrilled with Krueger's promotion. He's much more than a motivational coach. He can be tough as well.

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but there must be a reason why the kids are thrilled with promoting Kruger, and keeping the kids happy is important so i would say this is a great move.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
Pretty sure we are not going to see Hall skate past the bench and publicly question the coach on a boneheaded move on national television.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:47 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
Very, very pleased with this hiring. I've been hoping for Kreuger ever since it was announced Renney would not be returning. Not thrilled about Buchberger returning, but I trust that Ralph will put him into a position where he can succeed.

Congrats Ralph!!

Old
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Oilbender

I'm happy to have Krueger on board for this.

As a coach It's quite difficult to walk the very fine line between respect and fun, but still keeping players motivated. I tend to think an environment (workplace) in which these athletes are comfortable around him, but still know they gotta bust their ***** is a win-win for us. Now to see how it pans out.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
Ralph just said that Yakupov may play both wings and Hall will be given a shot at center.
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Tambellini refused to confirm or deny any upcoming meeting with Schultz, he just said he was interested in signing him.

Yeah, I rolled my eyes pretty hard at that dodge when everyone knows they're going to go meet him.
Well I wouldn't give out specifics either TBH. Very pleased that he has now said that we have interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Three year deal
Wow they must really like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
This has to mean that Gagner is as good as gone
I believe so as well.

06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
This has to mean that Gagner is as good as gone
I love the way people think around here. Yes, clearly they're going to trade Gagner because Kreuger touched on the possibility he might try out something that's been talked about since Hall was drafted.

06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Sure. Why else would they give the gig to Kruger?

Did he used to ride the bus with Lowe? Is he besties with Katz? Are they too cheap to sign Sutter or Crawford? Does he have a big name they can sell to the fans and a face they can put on posters? A conspiracy to suck hard for the next 3 years until that building is built, and they need a patsy and fall guy?

What other reason could this on-the-surface strange choice (that's sure to build the ire of quick-rage fans like you) have behind it than he convinced them he was the best man for the job? There were so many big names and rising stars in this hunt, to go with Kruger is... unexpected (except for the fact that we've had enough buzz to brace for/expect it for a while).
Economy and availability.

The path of least resistance.

Fear of the unknown.

Plus this is the easiest way to ensure that bff buckbeak and Smith get to stay on.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:05 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Economy and availability.

The path of least resistance.

Fear of the unknown.

Plus this is the easiest way to ensure that bff buckbeak and Smith get to stay on.
We went into the unknown with Quinn and Renney. We ended up DFL.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
CorpseFX

i give it less than 2 years before hes tossed.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Once again I like this move, it sends a message of an expectation that the team adhere to system based play at the hands of a team system style coach. This team was getting results when it played the system last year. A gameplan that they stubbornly refused to adhere to with any consistency.

If this team wants to get better, and to the next level, then they need to consistently play the kind of hockey that the better clubs play. You, know, the hockey that was being played in May and June while the Oilers were golfing again for months..

Finally, there seems to be a lot of people arguing for "fresh" or "change" for the sake of it. With the misleading premise that hiring from within is "old boys club". Krueger has always been fresh lifeblood to this org and about bringing change. Now he's bringing some stability and consistency as the players already know his expectations and the grooming already occurred for this transition and especially during Renney's concussion.
Gotta agree with you on most of your points there Replacement. Doesn't anyone remember here when our bunch of young kids and their senior citizen goalie were sitting on top of the conference at the start of the year last season. It wasn't because they were playing insanely skilled hockey, they were playing a system, and playing it perfectly. If Krueger can keep that going next year, they might actually be a team that competes for a playoff spot, depending of course on any additions.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Such as...? Let's hear it.
Seachd, I tried asking these type of questions, and they never get answered.

The "critiques" such as the poster you quoted, are so quick to say this move sucked (especially when the guy was hired ten minutes prior), but when it comes to actually PROVIDING their own alternative, they suddenly go quiet.

Also, this is the same guy that blamed MacT for not getting a coaching job earlier, regardless if he had cancer or not.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We went into the unknown with Quinn and Renney. We ended up DFL.
What? Tambellini hired Quinn and Renney because of his dealings in Vancouver. They were far from unknown and so is Kruger.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Harley

Welcome Mr Krueger.

I like it. They had a chance to see him up close, get to know him well, see how he interacts with the team, get a good idea of his way of doing things, his philosophy of how he would run the team. He seems like an A 1 human being and to me thats probably the most important thing these days. You need a man with integrity that the team will respect and follow, and by all accounts he is well liked and well respected by the team.

So lets see what he can do. I'm betting he will be better than most people expect.

And what a golden oppurtunity for Krueger. This team is just on the cusp of improvement. Hopefully major improvement. And if he can do a good job now he very well could be in for a magical ride on a very good up and coming team. He might have just climbed into the saddle of Secretariat. Take hold of the reins coach, steady hand, be confident and hang on for the ride of your life. lol

Good luck coach.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Gotta agree with you on most of your points there Replacement. Doesn't anyone remember here when our bunch of young kids and their senior citizen goalie were sitting on top of the conference at the start of the year last season. It wasn't because they were playing insanely skilled hockey, they were playing a system, and playing it perfectly. If Krueger can keep that going next year, they might actually be a team that competes for a playoff spot, depending of course on any additions.
If what you people say is true and you really believe it then you should be blasting the hell out of tambellini if he does not remove nearly all of the bad vets.

Hemsky, Smyth, Horcoff, all of them should be out the door.

The 'kids' played well all year, were very consistent and played well in pretty well all situations, they massively over achieved. It is the vets that blew chunks.

The vets are the guys that stunk it up and can't get it done. We better hope to hell that either Kruger and make the best use of them or better yet sit their ***** on the bench a lot more than last year.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
To be fair Washington also just named their coach as well. So Tambo still owns the crown for the slowest GM but just barely. I think he wanted to wait until every other team named their coaches to narrow the field and make his job easier. Decisions... decisions.
They had to wait for the finals to be over because Oates was an assistant with Jersey.

The Oilers, on the other hand, havent played a game in over two months and the guy they hired was still under contract with the team.

Two completely different scenarios.

Hell, they didnt even interview some obvious candidates.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
I didn't read all 1000 posts in volume I of this thread, so apologies, but can someone please explain the current thinking on why it took ~ 3 months to hire a guy you had in your backyard for >1 year?

Why wait until the morning you absolutely need him for the Schultz campaign?

This management is a$$ backward.
and if they would have hired him immediately. It would have been. "What no due diligence? The Oilers didn't bother to search for anyone" .

All for critiquing the hiring but in reality whether they took the time or hired Krueger right away this was a no win for the Oilers.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I am not particularly disappointed with Krueger as coach.

I am very disappointed that they're sticking with Buchberger and Smith. It's essentially Ralph all by himself back there.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Buchberger at all. What was Smith's role?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
They had to wait for the finals to be over because Oates was an assistant with Jersey.

The Oilers, on the other hand, havent played a game in over two months and the guy they hired was still under contract with the team.

Maybe the Oilers also talked to candidates that had to wait until a later date?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
copperandblue

I don't really object to who got the nod but the so called "process" they went about to get there was an outright farce and frankly the supporters of this team deserve better because it speaks to the credibility the organization continues to burn through in their quest to prove 'smarter' than anyone else.

I wish Krueger luck, he is going to need it.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:

Season starts in October unless a lockout forces it to start after.......what's the problem with hiring a coach in late June? Who cares that they haven't played since April. They waited until May to decide not to bring Renney back so that means they took a little over a month to choose Krueger over some other candidates. Why is it such a huge mistake to take your time to make this choice?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I don't really object to who got the nod but the so called "process" they went about to get there was an outright farce and frankly the supporters of this team deserve better because it speaks to the credibility the organization continues to burn through in their quest to prove 'smarter' than anyone else.

I wish Krueger luck, he is going to need it.
In what way was it a farce?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
plikestechno

Can't believe Buchberger and Chabot are still around. They're both terrible.

I'm fine with Krueger. Better than bringing in someone new that puts the team into another tailspin.

Closed Thread