HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger is the new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Maybe the Oilers also talked to candidates that had to wait until a later date?
Maybe they didnt talk to anyone at all?

Old
06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe Tambo just talked to Lowe and MacT. Once he couldn't convince them his only other option was to promote Kruger.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
russ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Once again I like this move, it sends a message of an expectation that the team adhere to system based play at the hands of a team system style coach. This team was getting results when it played the system last year. A gameplan that they stubbornly refused to adhere to with any consistency.

If this team wants to get better, and to the next level, then they need to consistently play the kind of hockey that the better clubs play. You, know, the hockey that was being played in May and June while the Oilers were golfing again for months..

Finally, there seems to be a lot of people arguing for "fresh" or "change" for the sake of it. With the misleading premise that hiring from within is "old boys club". Krueger has always been fresh lifeblood to this org and about bringing change. Now he's bringing some stability and consistency as the players already know his expectations and the grooming already occurred for this transition and especially during Renney's concussion.
Lol. Did you watch the Calgary game when Renney was out with a concussion? Krueger is exactly the opposite of what you described.

Renney was the hardcore systems guy, the defense/puck control (at least until we dumped it) guy, the hard nosed grumpy uncle of a coach that rubbed many of the younger players the wrong way, especially when veterans were given ice time over and over due to "systems play" aptitude regardless of actual game results.

Krueger seems a hybrid of Canada/Europe coach to a T and he's especially well suited to this young roster.

While defense is important and we'll need improvement in that aspect to make the playoffs, they're not going to be chucking the puck in and hoping for 3-4 good chances like under Renney, this will be a dynamic offense with defined roles and Krueger will hold them to his realistic expectations.

Fantastic hire, and will be even better if Krueger can ditch Renney's "boys on the bus" assistants.

I for one welcome the return of Oilers hockey after three years in the desert under Quinn and Renney.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Don't get me wrong, I like Ralph but I was thinking...

Does taking Renney out of the coaching staff really make it any better at all? We're going with the exact same staff minus Tom and to be honest I don't see it being a better staff than what we had last year.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

Does taking Renney out of the coaching staff really make it any better at all? We're going with the exact same staff minus Tom and to be honest I don't see it being a better staff than what we had last year.
Bingo.

The old bait and switch.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
To be fair Washington also just named their coach as well. So Tambo still owns the crown for the slowest GM but just barely. I think he wanted to wait until every other team named their coaches to narrow the field and make his job easier. Decisions... decisions.
Well Washington hired a coach who was on a Stanley Cup finalist team. We took forever to fire Renney and then forever and a day to hire a guy we already had in house.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:

So let me get this straight, the Oilers improve in virtually EVERY category from last year including huge jumps on special teams (an area that we sucked HARD before the arrival of Krueger) yet the entire coaching staff was the problem?

You'd think with so many improvements, the coaching staff deserves another shot to improve even further. It didn't get them to the playoffs but something was working.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Sexington

Quote:

Tom ran one system, Ralph may run another. Ralph's job was to support the head coach. He can adjust the system now that he's the head coach.

(not directed to poster) I think some people just ***** to *****.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:

To me it means that ST didn't agree with some of the decisions Renney made, obviously they weren't small decisions either.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Economy and availability.

The path of least resistance.

Fear of the unknown.

Plus this is the easiest way to ensure that bff buckbeak and Smith get to stay on.
This is completely insubstantial conjecture. You might as well speculate...

- Lowe loves Germans

- Last name sounds scary cool

- Got drunk instead of sifting through the big pile of resumes.

- Went eenie, meenie, miney moe.

None of which are more absurd than "path of least resistance" (wtf does that mean?), or "ensure Buchberger keeps his job" (pretty easy to make that a condition of employment for any coach, when 99% of the unemployed or lower rank coaches would wash your car for an NHL head gig).

Whatever your criticisms of the Oilers office, there is no way they're all panicking at the "fear of the unknown", flapping their arms like Herman Munster at the thought of something mysterious walking through their door or whatever the heck it is you think constitutes "fear of the unknown" as a serious hiring methodology. There is no way that office is run like that. Especially since if they were really "scared of the unknown" they wouldn't have fired Renny or hired Krueger as an assistant coach in the first place.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
They had to wait for the finals to be over because Oates was an assistant with Jersey.

The Oilers, on the other hand, havent played a game in over two months and the guy they hired was still under contract with the team.

Two completely different scenarios.

Hell, they didnt even interview some obvious candidates.
We have no idea who the Oilers interviewed. It was speculated that Crawford and Nelson were interviewed, we know for a fact that Sutter wasn't interviewed.
It's a part of the charm of Tambo, we'll never know all the facts. We have to based everything on assumptions unfortunately.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Except it was reported they interviewed Crawford twice, Nelson, and at the very least had contact with Cooper.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Well Washington hired a coach who was on a Stanley Cup finalist team. We took forever to fire Renney and then forever and a day to hire a guy we already had in house.
how do you know we werent talking to the same guy washington did? alot of false accusations

Old
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Well, based on his interview with Stauffer, the vets get no free passes like the past. He stressed how the leadership is changing and that performance will trump anything else. Liking what I am hearing.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

I am hoping Perry Pearn gets the associate role. Dude is a spectacular man and great coach.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexington View Post
Tom ran one system, Ralph may run another. Ralph's job was to support the head coach. He can adjust the system now that he's the head coach.

(not directed to poster) I think some people just ***** to *****.
Exactly. Now Ralph can play his game. If he can even help the team half as much at even strength as he did the PP, we're going to see a massive jump.

I've been completly behind this hire the whole way. I just hope he can do a better job than Renney of playing the kids, letting guys like Eager do their job, and limiting our bottom 6 guys to mostly shutdown minutes

Old
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I am hoping Perry Pearn gets the associate role. Dude is a spectacular man and great coach.

He's an assistant in Winnipeg as of a week or two ago.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post

Pearn took a job in WPG couple weeks back

Old
06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Buchberger at all. What was Smith's role?
I'm still not sure. They shifted around on the bench and it appeared Smith was simply in charge of the D, but it wasn't obvious exactly what was going on. The thing about Smith is, he hasn't really had any success in his coaching career yet, nor are there indications that he will.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Pearn took a job in WPG couple weeks back
Dammit!

Old
06-27-2012, 02:00 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I'm still not sure. They shifted around on the bench and it appeared Smith was simply in charge of the D, but it wasn't obvious exactly what was going on. The thing about Smith is, he hasn't really had any success in his coaching career yet, nor are there indications that he will.
Is Huddy still with the Jets? It seemed to me that he did an underrated job with the D here, and in Dallas.

I hate the Old Boys On The Bus Network, but that was one nepotistic hire that always seemed fairly effective (and the fact that he keeps getting NHL work outside the network is promising too).

I wonder if he took a HC interview.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Cool, he's the NHL version of Kavis Reed.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
alphahelix

Are we really supposed to believe that he WANTS to keep the exact same coaching staff around i.e. buchberger, smith, chabot, etc???

There isn't ANYONE he'd prefer to have with him?

If you're going to hire a guy, let him do his thing, don't cut him off at the balls before he even gets behind the bench.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
This is completely insubstantial conjecture. You might as well speculate...

- Lowe loves Germans

- Last name sounds scary cool

- Got drunk instead of sifting through the big pile of resumes.

- Went eenie, meenie, miney moe.

None of which are more absurd than "path of least resistance" (wtf does that mean?), or "ensure Buchberger keeps his job" (pretty easy to make that a condition of employment for any coach, when 99% of the unemployed or lower rank coaches would wash your car for an NHL head gig).

Whatever your criticisms of the Oilers office, there is no way they're all panicking at the "fear of the unknown", flapping their arms like Herman Munster at the thought of something mysterious walking through their door or whatever the heck it is you think constitutes "fear of the unknown" as a serious hiring methodology. There is no way that office is run like that. Especially since if they were really "scared of the unknown" they wouldn't have fired Renny or hired Krueger as an assistant coach in the first place.
I threw out some possibilities. Pick whatever one works for you.

The Capitals hire an assistant from a Stanley Cup finalist.

We hire an assistant from the 29th place team.

Or do you really think the team's problems rested solely on the shoulders of Tom Renney. He's gone so its going to be all better now?

Its mind bottling.

Again, I dont mind Krueger, but that isnt where the problem lies.

Answer me this, when has this management team (or Kevin Lowe) ever hired anyone they were not familiar with?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
tony baloney

how long before nice ralph kreuger turns into "freddy" kreuger

Closed Thread