HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger is the new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I threw out some possibilities. Pick whatever one works for you.

The Capitals hire an assistant from a Stanley Cup finalist.

We hire an assistant from the 29th place team.

Or do you really think the team's problems rested solely on the shoulders of Tom Renney. He's gone so its going to be all better now?

Its mind bottling.

Again, I dont mind Krueger, but that isnt where the problem lies.

Answer me this then, when has this management team ever hired anyone they were not familiar with?
When they hired Krueger the first time.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Velocirapture
The Evil User

It's asinine to think our team is going to be as terrible in spite of the change though. The sky is always falling on hfoilers. It's depressing.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
When they hired Krueger the first time.
Was he the head coach?

And if Im not mistaken he was brought over by Renney.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Was he the head coach?

And if Im not mistaken he was brought over by Renney.
Actually Quinn recommended him but management still had to OK it.

Not a huge deal, I was just answering your question.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Poochiemoo

The Calgary Flames have signed defenceman Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million contract after acquiring his rights from the Washington Capitals in exchange for blueliner Jordan Henry and a 2013 fifth-round draft pick.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:37 PM
T-Funk

Quote:

Or do you really think the team's problems rested solely on the shoulders of Tom Renney. He's gone so its going to be all better now?

Its mind bottling.

Answer me this, when has this management team (or Kevin Lowe) ever hired anyone they were not familiar with?
Who was your choice for coach.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:42 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Pat Quinn.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:43 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:

Its mind bottling.

Answer me this, when has this management team (or Kevin Lowe) ever hired anyone they were not familiar with?
Ralph Krueger when they hired him as an assistant.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
VanCanFanEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
So no suggestions?
I would have thought looking at assistant coaches with experience under winning programs or AHL head coaches who want to move to the next level. ie professional north American coaches. Krueger jumping from two years of failing in the NHL and coaching tier 2 international hockey into the NHL is a stretch to me. specially since I feal this is such an important hire time wise. to me Krueger needs more time to cut his teeth in the ahl or as an assistant .

Old
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochiemoo View Post
The Calgary Flames have signed defenceman Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million contract after acquiring his rights from the Washington Capitals in exchange for blueliner Jordan Henry and a 2013 fifth-round draft pick.
Boumeester should be gone soon.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:55 PM
The Big Unit

It seems that some of the posters on here wanted Scotty Bowman to be hired 24 hours after the season ended or else it's a complete disaster.

We hire our own assistant who helped to improve the team in every category.....no credit is given. Adam Oates was an assistant who was in the cup final......he gets all the credit in the world.

John Stevens is an assistant in LA and they just won the cup but he was fired in Philly in disgrace. Should we have hired him? I mean he just won the cup so he must be better than Oates right.

Old
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Im of the opinion that it doesnt matter.

Whoever they hired is doomed to failure.

But if I had to choose, it would be someone new, not the same voices and faces that were here last year and in most cases, the year before that.

And it wouldnt be an assistant with a last place team.

So, anyone other than that. Take your pick.

Old
Velocirapture
The Evil User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochiemoo View Post
The Calgary fans have nothing to say to any poster until an Oil fan comes in with a critical response - it's like we're incapable of having opinions on the league because our team is terrible.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Ralph Krueger when they hired him as an assistant.
They really went out on a limb there didnt they.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:01 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
yeah what a horrible coach Krueger is. He improved our special teams, especially the PP. Maybe given more responsibility he can improve the team further......or is that not possible because the Oilers were a 29th place team?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:

But if I had to choose, it would be someone new, not the same voices and faces that were here last year and in most cases, the year before that.

So nobody can succeed with this team?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
yeah what a horrible coach Krueger is. He improved our special teams, especially the PP. Maybe given more responsibility he can improve the team further......or is that not possible because the Oilers were a 29th place team?
So he strapped on the blades and got out there on the PP? He was here the year before IIRC. How'd the ole special teams look then? I would be willing to wager the success on the pp had much more to do with RNH leading the team with 23 PP pts than it did with some old guy standing behind the bench.

Quote:
So nobody can succeed with this team?
Not as long as we have the current management in place, no.

Are you of the opinion that the team's failures rest with Renney and their successes as you like to point out rest with Krueger?

Maybe you could break that down for me?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
T-Funk

Quote:

I'm gonna go with an assistant from a second last place team.
Seriously though whoever they hire is doomed to failure? Why does it matter that they hired Krueger then?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:18 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
I'm gonna go with an assistant from a second last place team.
Seriously though whoever they hire is doomed to failure? Why does it matter that they hired Krueger then?
Well, it makes them look like even bigger *****, if that is possible.

That would be one reason.

Who has ever promoted the assistant of a 29th place team to head coach the following year?

Can you find me even one example?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:19 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:

How about Ralph Krueger in 2010?

How about Rick Olczyk?

How about Mike Sillinger?

How about Todd Nelson?

And depending on your definition of "familiar", Steve Tambellini in 2008. Unless you count working with Kevin Lowe for Hockey Canada as an Olympic side gig. In which case, hiring Brent Sutter would also be a case of hiring someone "familiar", since he worked with Kevin Lowe at the Worlds.

I understand the hatred of the old-boys network. I hate the notion that guys get gigs simply because of their friendships.

But to me, that's radically different than hiring somebody that you've worked with before in a professional capacity.

I would expect when Tambellini came in, having no ties to previous Oilers regime, he might however rely on his knowledge of other hockey veterans that he worked with before. To cast that as a negative is absurd. That's one of his assets. To go to a guy like Renney (or Quinn) that he's worked with before, and knows well, is - presumptively - wise.

Now, if we were in S4 of Quinn, MacTavish Redux, you might have a point, that the team is just relying on old friendships and treating positions as fiefdoms like it did in early 2000s. But we're not.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

I am fine with the Krueger hiring. Everything from the outside that I read was excellent.

The clincher was the recommendation someone posted from Scotty Bowman. Who better?

I really wasn't sold on any of the alternatives. Marc Crawford. Nope. Brent Sutter? No, was not impressed how he coached in the World Championships and read that he isn't really a tactician. The other coaches available sounded more like coaches of the future to me. Ralph Krueger does have 20 years of coaching experience.

Really wasn't a coach available that really wowed me. Krueger didn't either, until I read the different reports and information from outside sources.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
So he strapped on the blades and got out there on the PP? He was here the year before IIRC. How'd the ole special teams look then? I would be willing to wager the success on the pp had much more to do with RNH leading the team with 23 PP pts than it did with some old guy standing behind the bench.

Not as long as we have the current management in place, no.

Are you of the opinion that the team's failures rest with Renney and their successes as you like to point out rest with Krueger?

Maybe you could break that down for me?
The PP didn't collapse when RNH missed 20 games so yeah the old guy on the bench had something to do with the PP's success. RNH was great and a huge contributor but he didn't single-handedly turn the pp around.

I'm actually of the opinion that Renney deserved one more season due to the improvements the team saw this year but since he's gone......yeah give Krueger a chance. Continuity isn't always bad, it's not like Krueger was here for all 6 years we've missed the playoffs.

As for management, they're following a long term rebuild blueprint that other teams (and fanbases) have had to endure. They haven't made huge blunders and are taking the slow and steady approach they said they would 3 years ago. This should be clear by now.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
I think so. It was probably one of the more outside-the-box hirings in team history. I think most people were quite surprised that the Oilers would go all the way to Switzerland to fill out their coaching roster, especially considering we had previously awarded these jobs to very familiar names.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I think so. It was probably one of the more outside-the-box hirings in team history. I think most people were quite surprised that the Oilers would go all the way to Switzerland to fill out their coaching roster, especially considering we had previously awarded these jobs to very familiar names.
He wasnt the head guy.

All the other people you mentioned were bit players.

Simply put Lowe or Lowe/Tambellini has NEVER hired anyone to be the HEAD coach of this organization that they were not intimately familiar with.

Sorry, but that isnt "thinking outside the box". That is playing it safe, and really, if they had any modicum of success doing it, then it would be fine.

Unfortunately they are on a streak of fecaltude unequaled in the modern era of the nhl.

What they are doing is essentially pinning last year's failure entirely on Renney, and Renney alone.

Tambellini gets an extension. Krueger gets promoted, and Smith and Bucky get to keep on keepin on.

Not only that, they re-hire Mactavish, a coach who rolled snake eyes with multiple teams in his search for nhl employment.

Weve got a real motley crew here.

The bad news bears of the nhl.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
The PP didn't collapse when RNH missed 20 games so yeah the old guy on the bench had something to do with the PP's success. RNH was great and a huge contributor but he didn't single-handedly turn the pp around.

I'm actually of the opinion that Renney deserved one more season due to the improvements the team saw this year but since he's gone......yeah give Krueger a chance. Continuity isn't always bad, it's not like Krueger was here for all 6 years we've missed the playoffs.

As for management, they're following a long term rebuild blueprint that other teams (and fanbases) have had to endure. They haven't made huge blunders and are taking the slow and steady approach they said they would 3 years ago. This should be clear by now.
Yup. Theyve moved up one place in three years. At this rate we should be looking at a playoff team in approx 20 years.

Hope Im still alive to see it.

Most of the current group of players will have long since retired by then.

Sadly, Lowe, Mact, and Buckbeak will all still be in senior management with the team and Katz will be lobbying for a new- new building.

Huzzah!

Closed Thread