HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MPS to Montreal

Old
06-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
I'm sure this is tough for Edmonton fans.

If I were them, I wouldn't fully give up on Paajarvi UNLESS a Top 4 defenceman would be coming the other way. With that being said, I'm not sure if they can get that.
The thing is, they've already got several top-4 defensemen on the roster. They don't have anyone high-end. And a disproportionate number of those wingers are RWs (Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky), so LW is still a potential place of need. ("Potential" 'cause, well, maybe Yak can move to the left.) So I'm not convinced such a deal would work.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Oilers will value MPS highly still and with reason, while the habs won't.

I'd do. Morgan Ellis and a 3rd for him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoyawit View Post
While I am somewhat inclined to agree with your thoughts, I'm not convinced Hemsky will be playing in our top 6 - at least not full time.

Hall RNH Eberle
PRV Gagner Yakupov
TBD Horcoff Hemsky

I think you get my point. The Oilers will not trade PRV unless he's part of a package that brings the team a much needed stud dman - if he's not moved I don't see a scenario where he doesn't play top 6 minutes.
Not really to be honest. Hemsky at $5m on the 3rd line? I don't see that happening. He'll get injured I'll give you that much, but PRV won't likely be a regular top 6. He definitely won't get you a stud dman lol

Last edited by Ginu: 06-27-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:04 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Here is what i think is a more reasonable offer from a Montreal Fans: Tinordi + 5th round.
I'll keep Tinordi.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:05 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I will pass up on bashing the previous posts and counter with Tinordi .
Hoping the other Oil fans do the same.
Agreed. Sorry Habs fans but Ellis and a lower draft pick is not going to get Tambellini's attention nor should it. Tinordi or Beaulieu will.

I know that HF loves to proclaim that a career is basically over by the age of 21 unless the player is lighting the league on fire but Paajarvi is 6'3" is an extremely fast skater, has a big shot and has some defensive awareness. He really struggled last season but his skillset didn't just disappear overnight. Just like many players coming over to North America, it will take time for him to adjust and he still has a lot of potential. Morgan Ellis won't net you Paajarvi.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Agreed. Sorry Habs fans but Ellis and a lower draft pick is not going to get Tambellini's attention nor should it. Tinordi or Beaulieu will.

I know that HF loves to proclaim that a career is basically over by the age of 21 unless the player is lighting the league on fire but Paajarvi is 6'3" is an extremely fast skater, has a big shot and has some defensive awareness. He really struggled last season but his skillset didn't just disappear overnight. Just like many players coming over to North America, it will take time for him to adjust and he still has a lot of potential. Morgan Ellis won't net you Paajarvi.
A struggling young player is usually dealt for another struggling young player.Maybe if Tinordi, or Beaulieu struggle. Otherwise, you can keep him and if he struggles another year he can be had for a 3rd rounder at best, if he's not just released. If he turns it around and starts to put up solid numbers, then great for him and the Oilers. When they trade him in 2 years they'll get a solid return.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Not really to be honest. Hemsky at $5m on the 3rd line? I don't see that happening. He'll get injured I'll give you that much, but PRV won't likely be a regular top 6.
EDM's 3rd line (Horcoff's line) gets the most 5on5 minutes. Calling it the 3rd line isnt that accurate. A 3rd line of Smyth\Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky makes a lot of sense to the Oilers. There is no rush to trade Paajarvi.. He is still young and developing nicely.. Hemsky is signed for only 2 more seasons.
Paajarvi does not need to be in top 6 to be successful.. His 2-way game is good enough for him to be an effective 3rd liner on a good team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I'll keep Tinordi.
And we keep Paajarvi.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
missinthejets

Do people forget that Paajarvi scored 15 goals as a rookie? Size and speed and a good defensive game for someone as young as him... he's still got value simply because at very worst he's going to be a player in the league. He could have stuck with the oilers all season last year playing in a bottom 6 role and not hurt them, but they wanted to make sure he developed his offensive game still and since he was having some confidence issues in that regard he went to the AHL and he played well there. The guy is in no way shape or form in the process of becoming a bust. At worst he'll be a third liner with offensive skill but no consistency in that regard, those guys aren't throw aways.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
A struggling young player is usually dealt for another struggling young player.Maybe if Tinordi, or Beaulieu struggle. Otherwise, you can keep him and if he struggles another year he can be had for a 3rd rounder at best, if he's not just released. If he turns it around and starts to put up solid numbers, then great for him and the Oilers. When they trade him in 2 years they'll get a solid return.
One can argue that Paajarvi is developing and not struggling. The age difference between him and Tinordi is less then 6 months. There is no way EDM will "just release" him even if he struggles next year. The kid developed a nice slapshot in the AHL last season.. He already is big, fast and defensively sound enough to have a nice long NHL career on the 3rd line of an NHL club.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

I'm not trading Tinordi however I would be open to something along those line:

To Edmonton:
Yannick Weber
Morgan Ellis
5th round pick

to Montreal:
Magnus Paajarvi

Weber gives immediate help to the Oilers blueline. He had his up and down in Montréal but overall it seems like he can be a regular defenceman in the NHL. Ellis had a great junior career, over the expectations many had for him. He could become a top 4 dman in Edmonton.

MPS would play in Montréal next year and give the roster a bit of fresh air with Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Collberg, Kristo, Beaulieu, ... not being ready to play yet.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
itzizabella

Morgan ellis: 7.0C

Magnus Paajarvi: 8.0C

Even for a 4th/5th round pick, why would we downgrade that much? I know we need D but it doesnt seem worth it.

itzizabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Beendair Donedat

So the Oilers want Montreal's best defensive prospect for a guy who couldn't play on the last place team in the league's roster?

And people say Habs fans are delusional.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:04 PM
itzizabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
So the Oilers want Montreal's best defensive prospect for a guy who couldn't play on the last place team in the league's roster?

The habs best defensive prospects aren't blue chip prospects. they are solid first round draft picks with solid talent, but they are not No. 1 defensmen. If you bothered to read the entire thread, you would have realized that the oilers sent him back to the AHL to improve his offensive game as opposed to playing a bottom six role. Paajarvi is still on track to be a top 6 winger with offensive and deffensive upside, and in earnest would be fair for "montreal's best defensive prospects" (tinordi, Beaulieau)

itzizabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

I think Paajarvi at the very least will be an excellent third liner, he is already very responsible defensively and his speed is a weapon. After his first recall back to the Oilers after his stint in the AHL he was a completely different player. I'd rather keep him than trade him for scraps.

Not to mention Oilers aren't exactly strong on LW depth. One of Hemsky or Yakupov I'm sure will switch sides, however I see Paajarvi as Hemsky's replacement in 2 years.

He is exactly what the Oilers top 6 needs. A big body, speedy, defensively responsible player.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post

You talk like Paajarvi is some veteran who is no better then a 3rd liner. Paajarvi has a long NHL career ahead of him and is only a year older then Tinordi and your other top D prospect. They must be getting close to the bust territory judging by your way of thinking.

Come back in 3 yrs and offer your junk for him.. til then we will hang on to him.

/thread.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Slick Eller

Okay, are Oilers fans out of their mind ??

In what world, Paajarvi is worth more than Jarred Tinordi? Tinordi had an amazing season and playoffs, he is getting stronger, meaner and faster every day with London.

He's got the potential to be one of the best shutdown dman in the league for several years. MPS doesn't have any special potential. 2nd line winger with great speed but soft and playing on the perimiter.

Sometimes its just gut feeling, but I see his maximum potential in his career its having similar statistic to a guy like Richard Zednik.

Morgan Ellis is perhaps the most underrated prospect in the North East Division. I'd rank him ahead of Beaulieu right now.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzizabella View Post
The habs best defensive prospects aren't blue chip prospects. they are solid first round draft picks with solid talent, but they are not No. 1 defensmen. If you bothered to read the entire thread, you would have realized that the oilers sent him back to the AHL to improve his offensive game as opposed to playing a bottom six role. Paajarvi is still on track to be a top 6 winger with offensive and deffensive upside, and in earnest would be fair for "montreal's best defensive prospects" (tinordi, Beaulieau)
I read the thread hoss... Just didn't buy what you were selling. His 8 points in 41 NHL games didn't do much for me. And it's not like he lit up Oklahoma, 25 points in 34 games.

If you think the Habs defensive prospects aren't potential number ones, we'll have to disagree. Tinordi looks like the shutdown defenseman with size we've needed forever. Voted best defensive dman in the OHL and lead the Knights to the OHL championship and Mem cup final. Ellis was top pairing dman on a Memorial cup winning team. Beaulieu was number one for the past two years in Saint John.

Potential is there for all three. But Montreal needs there skill sets far more than they need another soft, Euro.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
At the expense of who? Hall? Yakupov? RNH? Gagner? Eberle? Hemsky? I hope you get my point. He isn't going to have the chance to play in the top 6 with these guys ahead of him. Drafting Yakupov took his spot and made him expendable.
hemsky.
hemsky is a rw....what is yakupov?
yup.

as our new coach said. our vets will have to suck it up and take on new roles or we will assign them to siberia. that is deserving since they are the ones who have failed this team. smyth will not be back. Gagner is on the block.

Last edited by oilinblood: 06-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Okay, are Oilers fans out of their mind ??

In what world, Paajarvi is worth more than Jarred Tinordi? Tinordi had an amazing season and playoffs, he is getting stronger, meaner and faster every day with London.

He's got the potential to be one of the best shutdown dman in the league for several years. MPS doesn't have any special potential. 2nd line winger with great speed but soft and playing on the perimiter.

Sometimes its just gut feeling, but I see his maximum potential in his career its having similar statistic to a guy like Richard Zednik.

Morgan Ellis is perhaps the most underrated prospect in the North East Division. I'd rank him ahead of Beaulieu right now.
Paajarvi had an amazing rookie season in the NHL couple yrs ago. If Tinordi is so great he would be in the NHL by now and dominating.
Paajarvi last season struggled in NHL but continued to develop his game in the AHL.
He worked on his physical game and on offense (slapper) .

EDM giving up on him now would be stupid. Stop proposing for him if you think he is not going to be a very good NHL player.

Edit: if Ellis is so great then keep him and propose Beaulieu + proposals for Paajarvi.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
You talk like Paajarvi is some veteran who is no better then a 3rd liner. Paajarvi has a long NHL career ahead of him and is only a year older then Tinordi and your other top D prospect. They must be getting close to the bust territory judging by your way of thinking.

Come back in 3 yrs and offer your junk for him.. til then we will hang on to him.

/thread.
I didn't offer anything for him, I don't want him at all...

Old
06-27-2012, 03:22 PM
ginovegas

how about something centered around Bourque and Weber or Diaz
MPS +

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:28 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
hemsky.
hemsky is a rw....what is yakupov?
yup.

as our new coach said. our vets will have to suck it up and take on new roles or we will assign them to siberia.
Yakupov is a LW playing the RW, the Oiler are weak with RHS wingers. Eberle and Hemsky are the only 2 true RW the Oilers have. Pitlick might be another but they still have hopes he'll be that big C.

Pass on any player the Habs would be willing to trade for MPS, the Oilers are still very high on him.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
how about something centered around Bourque and Weber or Diaz
MPS +
jesus christ.

MPS is not available. certainly not for a package of players we dont need.

The only way we make a trade for a top 9 is if its a guy like tuomo ruutu. we need that kind of player. The only dmen we need is a top 2 right now...not prospect. MacK had interviewed scouts about the reality of Murray being chosen by the oil at #1 and 4 out of 5 scouts said Klefbom is better and more upside than murray and that Marincin and Murray are about equal. Thus, we dont need more prospects.
We also have deep pockets and contracts coming off the books in the next two seasons.

just stop.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Oilers don't believe in defensemen. They are going to ice a line-up of only forwards.
You might want to check the prospects that the Oilers have. I believe HF writers have given them a grade of A-. Also a scout at the combine said he believe Oscar Klefbom has more upside than any defensemen in the 2012. Both of them have more credibility than a Winnipeg fan.

Back on topic now.....

Who is MPS? or are you thinking of Paajarvi? If thats the case I doubt he gets traded. The Oilers currently have Hall, and Eager at LW with roster positions. Lots of HFOil hope that Hemsky can switch over to LW but I have my doubts if he can, and of course if he'll stay healthy.
Trading Paajarvi creates a big hole on the left side.

LW - Hall, Paajarvi, Hartikainen
RW- Eberle, Yakupov, Rieder
C - RNH, Gagner, Lander, Pitlick
D- Klefbom, Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Davidson, Tuebert

Is what I believe have an excellent chance to become Oilers/NHL'ers. Off course there are a tonne of other prospects that have an outside chance but .....meh

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Halifaxhab

MPS may not have lit the world on fire last year, but he took the demotion like a man and used it well. He was a major reason that OKC made the AHL semi finals. It was only his 2nd pro season. Its not like he is anywhere near a bust.

Is he worth Tinordi? Yes.
Would I trade Tinordi for him? No.

EDM keeps him, and likely calls him up mid season to play 2nd line LW and he will be very good for them. That's my prediction.

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote