HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you still do the Hodgson trade?

Old
01-31-2013, 06:59 PM

vCash: 500
Why are Canucks fans coming into this thread so often?

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Steamer

I hate touch screens grrr

Last edited by Steamer: 01-31-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Steamer

I think this trade will be a win for both teams. Both players have weaknesses and both are young enough to overcome them. On a purely numbers basis the Sabres won because they got two players who are still with the team, whereas, the Canucks have one. But you have to look more closely at what the teams are looking for. Hodgson has superb vision, but was not going to get beyond the third line for years. Sulzer was signed as a 7 or 8th D for Vancouver. Neither filled a big need for Vancouver. Kassian has looked good so far this season and leads the team in goals. His pp goal last night against Colorado was great, and the pass came from Hamhuis, not a Sedin. Since the twins emerged as serious offence threats the management has searched for a burly winger to play with them. Only Carter fulfilled that role and he wanted too
much to resign. Bernier was awful, and while I love what Burrows brings to the team, he doesn't open the space the way Kassian may. It will be interesting to see how the Blackhawks deal with the Canucks with Kassian on the twins line. Not all trades are one sided. Hodgkin may turn out to be a big star and be a better overall player than Kassian, but he was superfluous to the Canucks' needs, Kassian appears to fit them. I suspect that in a few years this will be seen as a trade that greatly. benefitted both teams.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Seriously, they come in here to defend Kassian it's so annoying. If we went over to the Canucks board to defend Hodgson everytime some Canuck fan talked **** on him, we'd might as well call the Vancouver board the Sabres/Vancouver board since we'd be there all the time.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Meh Kassian has exactly one more point then Hodgson in the same amount of games. The Sulzer-Grags part definitely more then makes up for any perceived gap that Canuck fans think of.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Meh Kassian has exactly one more point then Hodgson in the same amount of games. The Sulzer-Grags part definitely more then makes up for any perceived gap that Canuck fans think of.
I'm sorry I had to laugh at you thinking that you got the better of the trade by the fact two minor league dmen changed teams. I'm just happy Kassian is dominating for us, I'm sure you are happy Cody is dominating for you.

rune74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Sulzer wouldnt make our lineup. We got him for nothing and we would have had to let him walk anyways. We let Rome walk, we had to let Sultzer go so we parcelled him off in trade instead of just letting him walk.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Seriously, they come in here to defend Kassian it's so annoying. If we went over to the Canucks board to defend Hodgson everytime some Canuck fan talked **** on him, we'd might as well call the Vancouver board the Sabres/Vancouver board since we'd be there all the time.
Please do, but you'll find most of the Hodgson love is from Canuck fans and same for the Kass hate

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:11 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
I'm sorry I had to laugh at you thinking that you got the better of the trade by the fact two minor league dmen changed teams. I'm just happy Kassian is dominating for us, I'm sure you are happy Cody is dominating for you.
Nah the fact Hodgson is better then Kassian and Foligno is a player just as talented. Keep on laughing about Sulzer because he has turned into a legitimate top 6 dman.

Oh btw Hodgson now has as many points as Kassian and Sulzer just scored the game tying goal k thanks.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Nah the fact Hodgson is better then Kassian and Foligno is a player just as talented. Keep on laughing about Sulzer because he has turned into a legitimate top 6 dman.

Oh btw Hodgson now has as many points as Kassian and Sulzer just scored the game tying goal k thanks.
I guess you didn't get the context of his post.

For you guys he is a legitimate top 6 D-man, for us he is a depth guy that wasn't going to be here long term, it was a no risk & potentially little reward move for us as we had prior interest in Grags.

Your also forgetting we have Schroeder who is playing quite well for us, better than Cody when he first started in the league by far. So we both have back up guys, you guys have Foligno we have Schroeder and I'm not sure how Cody is a better player since they are even in scoring, both playing on 1st lines and Kassian brings more intangables and grit.

Win - Win for both sides, both addressed needs and both have other guys waiting in the wings to fill those roles. Don't know how either side can boast victory at the moment.

Edit: Also i know it's off topic, but man Vanek is insane. What a nice goal that was.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Please do, but you'll find most of the Hodgson love is from Canuck fans and same for the Kass hate
Honestly, I truly wish Kassian the best. I hold nothing against him, he has a great future ahead of him. Some fans simply cannot let go.

Kassian has been great for you guys, and you know it, you don't need to prove anything to Sabre fans. Just be happy you have a good player on your hands. The Buffalo fans saying Kassian is leeching off the Sedins have not watched him play. He fits in seamlessly there.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Ace1963

Hodgson's line had 11 points at Boston. Not bad.

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:53 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I wonder this everytime I click into this thread. There must be a ton of Sabres posters infiltrating the Kassian threads over there. So they're returning the favor

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Steamer

Quote:

Clearly you have some serious issues with perspective, and I suspect rather young and immature with your insistence on winners and losers in trades attitude. As stated before, by many, Sulzer was never going to be more than a depth player, Hodgson was superfluous to the Canuck's needs.
However, given your attitude, I suspect that nothing anyone says is likely to cause you to gain perspective. Perhaps you should consider changing your handle to Nelson Muntz!

Old
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Mergus

Great saucer pass to Vanek today and a solid 3 point night! Hopefully he can keep it up. 40points in 48 games would be a good goal....

Mergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Don't doubt it Buffalo fans, we sent you Hodgson, Ehrhoff and Sulzer for a reason: we need people out east, they are still our agents, on assignment to bring down Boston and Toronto. You saw it again tonite: didn't our boys out east combine for 2G, 3A including the game-winner? You're doing good work, Buffalo.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Don't doubt it Buffalo fans, we sent you Hodgson, Ehrhoff and Sulzer for a reason: we need people out east, they are still our agents, on assignment to bring down Boston and Toronto. You saw it again tonite: didn't our boys out east combine for 2G, 3A including the game-winner? You're doing good work, Buffalo.

Anything for our western cousins

Old
01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Old Navy Goat

The more I think about the trade, the less I'd do it now. I like Hodgson as a player more than Kassian but I used to enjoy this board more without the Canuck taint we're getting.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
sabresfan129103

He's the perfect replacement for Roy and he has better chemistry with Vanek. 10/10 would trade again.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM
SwordStanley10

Both players are performing at a high level and bring a much needed skillset to their respective teams. A rare win-win trade so far. I wish for the best for Kassian and the Canucks and hope our expansion brother benefits just as much from this trade as I hope/believe the Sabres will

SwordStanley10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

So Codys a bit of a Boston killer eh?

I gots me Center Ice so want to watch a game this morning as i drink my coffees.

So hockey fans was this BUF-BOS a worthy game to watch?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post

I gots me Center Ice so want to watch a game this morning as i drink my coffees.

Most definitely, I only caught the 3rd but thought I was going to have a heart attack..would have been an amazing game to watch as a neutral fan.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:21 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post

Very entertaining game. With this team's (lack of) consistency, I'm worried that we've already peaked as far as entertaining games go for the rest of this season.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:22 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
For you guys he is a legitimate top 6 D-man, for us he is a depth guy that wasn't going to be here long term, it was a no risk & potentially little reward move for us as we had prior interest in Grags.
Yeah. Who needs Sulzer when you can pay Ballard to do the exact same thing for 6X the salary.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Yeah. Who needs Sulzer when you can pay Ballard to do the exact same thing for 6X the salary.
Sulzer wasn't getting it done in Vancouver and the change of scenery/chance at more ice time has done good for him. The same didn't happen with Gragnani, but it was worth a shot. Just the way things are sometimes.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote