HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you still do the Hodgson trade?

Old
02-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
The more I think about the trade, the less I'd do it now. I like Hodgson as a player more than Kassian but I used to enjoy this board more without the Canuck taint we're getting.
Hey, the 42 year old virgins have to stick together, imo.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Exactly. I hope the Canucks fans posting here don't get scared off by the curmudgeons.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
Most definitely, I only caught the 3rd but thought I was going to have a heart attack..would have been an amazing game to watch as a neutral fan.
Sold. Ill watch after the Deadmonton games over.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Apple Juice

Vancouver fan here. For the record, I'm a Hodgson fan and I was beyond pissed to see him get traded. I still am pissed and wished Hodgson was still here but he's not. All the best to Hodgson though. I bought his jersey 3 weeks before he got traded to Buffalo Still have his nameplate on the back of my jersey and I'm not gonna switch it to Kassian, like many other idiots who bought a Hodgson jersey and have his name plate switched

As far as Kassian goes, I like his play but I'm not going to overpraise him until we reach around the 15-20 game mark.. Sure he's playing great right now but I'm gonna wait for him to actually find consistency. Glad to see m'boy doing well in Buffalo. Strongly criticizing Kassian right now and I'm keeping a very close eye on him to see how he plays.

Apple Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 AM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Clearly you have some serious issues with perspective, and I suspect rather young and immature with your insistence on winners and losers in trades attitude. As stated before, by many, Sulzer was never going to be more than a depth player, Hodgson was superfluous to the Canuck's needs.
However, given your attitude, I suspect that nothing anyone says is likely to cause you to gain perspective. Perhaps you should consider changing your handle to Nelson Muntz!
This is the Sabres board.Yet ever since the season started 9 out of every 10 Canuck fan who comes to this board/thread only comes when Kassian does anything noteworthy and try to tell us how Hodgson is a bad skater and how great and tough Kassian is.This is the Sabres board mind you, I don't go to the Canuck board every time Hodgson gets a point.(I don't go at all,most of the time when fans from an opposing team go to another team's board it is bad news)

As for perspective, how about this one.Compare the 4 components of the trade (along with Marcus Foligno who was the reason WHY we traded Kassian), and their production from last season and now this season.

Cody Hodgson 27 GP,7 G,7 A,14 P,-7
Alex Sulzer 21 GP,4 G,6 A,10 P,+5

Zack Kassian 24 GP,6 G,2 A,8 P,-1,59 Hits
Marc-Andre Gragnani 14 GP,1 G,2 A,3 P,-4

Marcus Foligno 21 GP,7 G,10 A,17 P,+5,65 Hits

To the various Canuck fans that come here, they would make it seem that Kassian is the next Cam Neely while he is with the Sedins and how dumb we were to trade that for Hodgson.I for one wish Kassian the best.But Kassian doesn't play for Buffalo anymore, so I could care less on how he does.I care about the guys we got in return.As of now, I would say the Sabres have a slight advantage so far in the very small sample size but that could change season to season.But so far Cody has outscored Kassian and Foligno has outscored AND outhit.Foligno is the reason why Kassian was dealt and I feel very comfortable in the trade.

As for Sulzer, who gets zero respect from most Vancouver fans, he is just not a top 6 d-man for Buffalo, he is worthy of being in the top 6 of any team.Yes that includes the Canuck defense.For how little Sulzer makes, the fact that he is a steady partner for Ehrhoff and that he provides a little bit of offense makes him a valuable #4/5 d-man.Gragnani isn't even Canuck property anymore.Sulzer+Cody's play along with Foligno's emergence makes me ecstatic over the trade.No one forces you to read, this is the Sabre board not the Vancouver one.Go there if you want to look for Kassian puff pieces and posts proclaiming him as the next great power forward.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Yeah. Who needs Sulzer when you can pay Ballard to do the exact same thing for 6X the salary.
Actually Ballard is much better than Sulzer, he has been our best defenseman so far.

He came here hurt and really wasn't him self, but has gotten much better over the last 2 years and since last years playoffs has been playing like the player we expected him to be.

Unfortunately the negative stereotype sticks no matter how much the player picks it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSotC View Post
Sulzer wasn't getting it done in Vancouver and the change of scenery/chance at more ice time has done good for him. The same didn't happen with Gragnani, but it was worth a shot. Just the way things are sometimes.
Actually Sulzer was as good a depth guy as we could ask for, but that's all he was to us, a #8. And he would have been let go anyways at the end of the year regardless, it was a move that had no risk and some potential as Grags was someone we liked.

But it didn't work out for us, no skin off our backs, good for him that he has found a good role in Buffalo.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
Most definitely, I only caught the 3rd but thought I was going to have a heart attack..would have been an amazing game to watch as a neutral fan.
Yeah I saw it, it was a great back and forth game until the 3rd when Buffalo exploded.

A very exciting game for a neutral fan (Although obviously I had a Buffalo Bias )

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Apple Juice

Honestly, Sulzer was a depth d-man for us. No, he wouldn't have been a top 6 D-man for us, as you put it Layne...

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Tanev
Rome
Alberts
Sulzer

That was our lineup last year... This year, if Sulzer was still Canuck property, he still wouldn't be on our top 6.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
Sulzer

Sulzer played fine when he was with us in our lineup but he just wasn't a good fit within our system. I have the same feeling for you concerning Ehrhoff. I don't care how much he produces but at the end of the day, he was a great catalyst for us in the 2010-11 playoffs but he ran for money, not to stay with Vancouver for another season.

Apple Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
This is the Sabres board.Yet ever since the season started 9 out of every 10 Canuck fan who comes to this board/thread only comes when Kassian does anything noteworthy and try to tell us how Hodgson is a bad skater and how great and tough Kassian is.This is the Sabres board mind you, I don't go to the Canuck board every time Hodgson gets a point.(I don't go at all,most of the time when fans from an opposing team go to another team's board it is bad news)

As for perspective, how about this one.Compare the 4 components of the trade (along with Marcus Foligno who was the reason WHY we traded Kassian), and their production from last season and now this season.

Cody Hodgson 27 GP,7 G,7 A,14 P,-7
Alex Sulzer 21 GP,4 G,6 A,10 P,+5

Zack Kassian 24 GP,6 G,2 A,8 P,-1,59 Hits
Marc-Andre Gragnani 14 GP,1 G,2 A,3 P,-4

Marcus Foligno 21 GP,7 G,10 A,17 P,+5,65 Hits

To the various Canuck fans that come here, they would make it seem that Kassian is the next Cam Neely while he is with the Sedins and how dumb we were to trade that for Hodgson.I for one wish Kassian the best.But Kassian doesn't play for Buffalo anymore, so I could care less on how he does.I care about the guys we got in return.As of now, I would say the Sabres have a slight advantage so far in the very small sample size but that could change season to season.But so far Cody has outscored Kassian and Foligno has outscored AND outhit.Foligno is the reason why Kassian was dealt and I feel very comfortable in the trade.

As for Sulzer, who gets zero respect from most Vancouver fans, he is just not a top 6 d-man for Buffalo, he is worthy of being in the top 6 of any team.Yes that includes the Canuck defense.For how little Sulzer makes, the fact that he is a steady partner for Ehrhoff and that he provides a little bit of offense makes him a valuable #4/5 d-man.Gragnani isn't even Canuck property anymore.Sulzer+Cody's play along with Foligno's emergence makes me ecstatic over the trade.No one forces you to read, this is the Sabre board not the Vancouver one.Go there if you want to look for Kassian puff pieces and posts proclaiming him as the next great power forward.
Come on, that's some silly stats. Kassian was playing on the fourth line in vancouver last year, and got like 6 min of ice time a game.

While Hodgson was getting 15/20+ min a game (I know, because I followed him closely). Even when Cody struggled at the start in buffalo.

Also people are saying why do canucks fans come here?, maybe has something to do with Hodgson being our best prospect we have had (hyped) ever. yes ever, we considered him the most untouchable player behind the sedins, yet OUR OF NOWHERE he gets traded.

he was a Fan favorite here, was pegged as the next linden and the next captain of our canucks. This is not some random prospect.

So the reason so many canucks fans come here is because we had a connection to him and most want him to do well, and this happens to be a thread about hodgson and here we are.

As for the kassian "nuthugging", He is playing well, he has been everything that scouts had advertised with him, and we are very happy with his play.

It's not like we come here bragging, Cody is playing well also.

Considering how many canucks fans love buffalo fans and the team, getting so upset over a few canucks comments is pretty ridiculous.

just my two cents.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

thread should be renamed to Vancouver Canucks related talks

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

BOTH ARE GOOD PLAYERS. IT WAS A WIN-WIN.

(rinse and repeat)

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:15 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Come on, that's some silly stats. Kassian was playing on the fourth line in vancouver last year, and got like 6 min of ice time a game.

While Hodgson was getting 15/20+ min a game (I know, because I followed him closely). Even when Cody struggled at the start in buffalo.

Also people are saying why do canucks fans come here?, maybe has something to do with Hodgson being our best prospect we have had (hyped) ever. yes ever, we considered him the most untouchable player behind the sedins, yet OUR OF NOWHERE he gets traded.

he was a Fan favorite here, was pegged as the next linden and the next captain of our canucks. This is not some random prospect.

So the reason so many canucks fans come here is because we had a connection to him and most want him to do well, and this happens to be a thread about hodgson and here we are.

As for the kassian "nuthugging", He is playing well, he has been everything that scouts had advertised with him, and we are very happy with his play.

It's not like we come here bragging, Cody is playing well also.

Considering how many canucks fans love buffalo fans and the team, getting so upset over a few canucks comments is pretty ridiculous.

just my two cents.
Don't take it personally, some people just seem really insular on team boards. I don't see why Canucks fans shouldn't be involved in this thread to some extent as it gives an interesting perspective. Both players are succeeding on their respective top lines, I'd say that's worth getting Nucks fans input on. So long as people aren't starting their own threads when this one already exists I don't get the issue

Anyhow, I've been watching most Nucks games in full or condensed, and it does seem like Kassian's starting to find some semblance of consistent balance to his game. I think he's a type who's actually more motivated to muck it up when he's on a top line than when he's on a checking line, which is contrary to how many players operate. It's good that Foligno has picked his game up the past 3 contests, because honestly it would be a bit of a bummer to see Kassian up his level of play while Foligno continued looking lost.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Clock

Mod note:

This thread is starting to veer off topic.

I have zero problem with fans from other fanbases commenting, but this isn't a "who won the trade" thread, a place to post that either player scored a point, and it's not about whether or not the Canucks would want to do the Hodgson / Kassian trade again.

The context of this thread is whether or not Sabres fans would want to do the Hodgson / Kassian trade again, so let's keep it on that. 'Nucks fans are welcome to comment, but keep it to the subject. This isn't a main board thread.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:03 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Don't take it personally, some people just seem really insular on team boards. I don't see why Canucks fans shouldn't be involved in this thread to some extent as it gives an interesting perspective. Both players are succeeding on their respective top lines, I'd say that's worth getting Nucks fans input on. So long as people aren't starting their own threads when this one already exists I don't get the issue

Anyhow, I've been watching most Nucks games in full or condensed, and it does seem like Kassian's starting to find some semblance of consistent balance to his game. I think he's a type who's actually more motivated to muck it up when he's on a top line than when he's on a checking line, which is contrary to how many players operate. It's good that Foligno has picked his game up the past 3 contests, because honestly it would be a bit of a bummer to see Kassian up his level of play while Foligno continued looking lost.
These win-win trades seem to make everyone crazy. It's as if we short-circuit if we can't declare an obvious loser. Both teams filled gaping needs, both teams had backup prospects at the same position who are performing well.

Foligno's point production for a young guy is startling. You guys should be super excited. If that's "looking lost" I'd hate to see his upside.

I haven't been watching a lot of Buffalo games...how is Cody's skating coming along? That seemed to be the only thing holding him back, he was just a half-step behind the play. You could see he had all the instincts in the world, but getting there was a problem.

Kassian is channeling a young Todd Bertuzzi, right down to the facial scruff, stickhandling style and wild inconsistency shift to shift. It's exciting, given what Bertuzzi turned into. I just hope he mimics the million dollar talent part, and not so much the ten cent head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
I for one love you guys. I have a soft spot for perennial underdogs and long suffering fan bases. You guys are basically Canucks east in terms of pathos.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote