HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you still do the Hodgson trade?

Old
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I believe the 3 competent center line up is the way to go in the modern NHL. How it worked with Briere, Drury, Connolly, Roy was beautiful. Maybe we can get the same thing going with Ennis, Coho, Grigs, and Girgs?

Do you guys believe Regier is using what worked in the past to do it again?
I think so.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

There are two positions you can never have enough of.

-Centers
-Defenseman

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
ColonelForbin

Darcy is not trading Ennis or Hodgson. Grigorenko has never played a pro game. Girgensons could be multiple years away. Roy has been actively shopped if you can believe the news stories.

Keeping them both is the smart move. If their new draft picks pan out they can trade some of their depth for a physical winger then.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Hodgson's number one quality is his vision. No doubt about it. Grigs has similar vision. That's something you can't teach. Not a chance Ennis is a better playmaker if both reach their potential. Ennis can do more by himself, but Hodgson can make other players around him better.
This potential crap needs to end. No one knows the potential a player has. Most of the players drafted in the first ten picks have great potential, but how many actually pan out??

I don't know what the heck you were watching but Ennis constantly was making his linemates better. He was setting plays which I would call a playmaker. How is it that a guy who can do more by himself, thus taking away attention off his wingers, not a better playmaker??

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:36 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Darcy is not trading Ennis or Hodgson. Grigorenko has never played a pro game in North America. Girgensons could be multiple years away. Roy has been actively shopped if you can believe the news stories.

Keeping them both is the smart move. If their new draft picks pan out they can trade some of their depth for a physical winger then.
You're probably right and its a good move to keep them both.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
I mean that pass was decent but nothing crazy good. Pominville was wide opened.

Lol, at the no look just throwing it up the ice.

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...2,1084&lang=en
That PP goal was a high level playmakers play in so many ways. Every little thing from recognition at the blueline, the slight angle to the center to draw the D, to the looking off the defender before making a difficult cross defender pass...

Hodgson has elite vision/playmaking repertoire.... and the makes it look so easy, that you don't even know it.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I believe the 3 competent center line up is the way to go in the modern NHL. How it worked with Briere, Drury, Connolly, Roy was beautiful. Maybe we can get the same thing going with Ennis, Coho, Grigs, and Girgs?

Do you guys believe Regier is using what worked in the past to do it again?
From here, it looks like he's trying to build a similar dynamic with the players he has provided Ruff now. Heck the parrallels between Hodgson-Drury and Ennis-Briere extend to personality and stature let alone style.

06-27-2012, 03:40 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
So now someone points out a couple great passes, and you just blow them of as average?

Your bias is clearly showing. Just give up.
Ok man you can think those are great passes. Do me a favor and watch some other NHL games with some real superstars some time and see if those are still great passes.

There is no bias, just facts. So far no one has come back with anything concrete to prove Ennis isn't the better center. You want to know why it hasn't happened yet, because they is no such facts out there.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
This potential crap needs to end. No one knows the potential a player has. Most of the players drafted in the first ten picks have great potential, but how many actually pan out??
Aside from Tyler Ennis fanboys who know he is going to score 80 pts because of a 12 game stretch last year

Old
06-27-2012, 03:42 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Ok man you can think those are great passes. Do me a favor and watch some other NHL games with some real superstars some time and see if those are still great passes.

There is no bias, just facts. So far no one has come back with anything concrete to prove Ennis isn't the better center. You want to know why it hasn't happened yet, because they is no such facts out there.
Fact : Player X scored 1 goal.
Opinion : Player X made a great pass.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:42 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Who will be the better of the two is something that can't possibly be known for a few years.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:43 PM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

I would trade Hodgson before trading Ennis. Who knows if Hodgson can ever improve his skating which is a major weakness of his. I know he is training with Gary Roberts but I'm still a little worried about that. But even with his skating issues, Cody is still going to be a ~65 point 2 way center once he matures, which is great but I feel Ennis will eventually be a near PPG player be it on the wing or at center. His hands and dangles are unreal sometimes, I think he will eventually lead our team in scoring within the next 3 seasons.

But in a trade for Ryan, I'd rather keep both Ennis & Hodgson and see if you can't work out a package for him with Armia, Pysyk, Adam and multiple 1sts. And this would be after free agency, because I'd rather target Parise and Semin first due to them costing no assets whatsoever.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

no one wants to bother providing the same facts that have been provided in numerous threads this summer. You aren't receptive.

Quote:
Fact : Player X scored 1 goal.
Opinion : Player X made a great pass.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

The day Jason Pominville leaves in Free Agency... you can all start your timers... because it's simply a countdown to Hodgson being the next Captain of the Sabres.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Skelley

Quote:

And you seem to want to crown Ennis the better center than Hodgson for now and all time. COuld Ennis be the better center? I'll concede that he could but a lot of people feel it will be Hodgson in the longterm, including myself. Ennis is a great player but we have a pretty small sample size with him at center, lets see how this year plays out before we crown him this elite playmaker. Cody just finished his rookie year and put up 41 points, Ennis put up 49 in his rookie year and also had the advantage of not being dealt at the deadline. They both do certain things better than the other. I think they're both gonna be great players but to claim that Ennis is/will be the better playmaker and that "it's ridiculous to even argue" is just stupid.

Skelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:56 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Aside from Tyler Ennis fanboys who know he is going to score 80 pts because of a 12 game stretch last year
This 12 game stretch thing is annoying. He had 29 points in 33 games after returning from injury. Yes, when he was put at center things really came together, but before that you could see that things were starting to click.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:

I don't know what the heck you were watching but Ennis constantly was making his linemates better. He was setting plays which I would call a playmaker. How is it that a guy who can do more by himself, thus taking away attention off his wingers, not a better playmaker??
Do you know why some players go ahead of other players in the draft? It's called potential. To deny that potential exists is ridiculous.

Ennis uses his speed, agility, and dangles to create plays. No doubt he can make plays, but I guess you'd classify him as a dangler. Hodgson uses his vision and passing ability to make plays. That's what a playmaker is.

Btw...I'm not discrediting Ennis at all. I think he will be a great player, and I will be mad if he is traded. He is my favorite Sabre. However, he does not possess the same vision and passing ability as hodgson. His hands, speed, and agility are all better than hodgson, though.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:59 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
And you seem to want to crown Ennis the better center than Hodgson for now and all time. COuld Ennis be the better center? I'll concede that he could but a lot of people feel it will be Hodgson in the longterm, including myself. Ennis is a great player but we have a pretty small sample size with him at center, lets see how this year plays out before we crown him this elite playmaker. Cody just finished his rookie year and put up 41 points, Ennis put up 49 in his rookie year and also had the advantage of not being dealt at the deadline. They both do certain things better than the other. I think they're both gonna be great players but to claim that Ennis is/will be the better playmaker and that "it's ridiculous to even argue" is just stupid.
Agreed. So we should just keep both, let them continue to develop, and figure it if and who we need to move once we have a better idea what their long-term roles in Buffalo will be, or if they even have one. Both have strong skill sets, high potential, and we're lucky to have such a strong pool of young centers, so let's just enjoy it and appreciate both for what they bring to the table.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Why can't we just be happy that the Sabres have more than one talented center on the team? Why the phallus-waving contests to decide who is 'better'?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Why can't we just be happy that the Sabres have more than one talented center on the team? Why the phallus-waving contests to decide who is 'better'?
Because this is a message board and nothing else is going on right now. Also, there is legit possibility that a case like this could really come up.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Because this is a message board and nothing else is going on right now. Also, there is legit possibility that a case like this could really come up.
That doesn't mean anything. You CAN in fact be on a message board and have reasonable conversations.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:06 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I gotta admit you cracked me up with this response

Old
06-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Because the discussion was about which one you'd be more willing to move in order to make a trade. Naturally people are going to try and argue which one is better in order to make that decision.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The day Jason Pominville leaves in Free Agency... you can all start your timers... because it's simply a countdown to Hodgson being the next Captain of the Sabres.
That's a possibility, but I would think he has a bit of maturing to do. If he reaches his "potential" (and I'm not talking hockey skills), then I see it happening. Myers will be another option when that time comes.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
This 12 game stretch thing is annoying. He had 29 points in 33 games after returning from injury. Yes, when he was put at center things really came together, but before that you could see that things were starting to click.
He had 19 pts, in a 12 game stretch...

so the rest of that time... the other 21 games you mentioned... he scored 10 pts... or a 39 pt pace over 82 games

Or that in "must win" games at the end of the year verse philly and boston... he put up ZERO points... and was a minus 3

Should I point out the idiotic, "i have no idea what im supposed to be doing" float job he did on the GTG Philly goal in game 81... god, that still stands out in my mind in an infuriating way. Tyler Ennis, for all his skill and talent and speed... is ****ing terrible defensively...