HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets "make pitch to Justin Schultz"

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 12:25 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

vCash: 500
What a diva. I hope he fails under the huge expectations he has set for himself. :

Old
06-28-2012, 12:28 AM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Then they'd become absolutely intolerable. The trade boards would be nothing but "Our C-level defensive prospect for Johansen, because now we have Schultz."
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
**** Edmonton. I don't want them to get anyone.

Unless he plans to suck. Then ok.

Thing is, my other fav team are the Oilers so if the Blue Jackets can't get him then I hope it's my other team that lands him.

Mayor, honestly, I just ignore other teams proposal most of the times. I just roll my eyes and move along.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:46 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Ken Dorsey.
Oh, you

And this kid seems like a real ********

Old
06-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
**** Edmonton. I don't want them to get anyone.

Unless he plans to suck. Then ok.
Pretty sure he doesn't "plan" to suck. Didn't you see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
CBJ‬ officially out of contention for D Justin Schultz. Not a shocker. Expressed interest w agent, but not granted face-to-face meeting.

Aportzline

Old
06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Fair point.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:12 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Thing is, my other fav team are the Oilers so if the Blue Jackets can't get him then I hope it's my other team that lands him.

Mayor, honestly, I just ignore other teams proposal most of the times. I just roll my eyes and move along.
I will be happy for you if the Oil get him then. As for the rest of that fan base, blah.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Skraut

Old
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
blahblah

Yeah, Skraut. Lots of expectations for him signing here.

You know, the main reason I want to become a better team now? So I don't have to hear this same old "who would want to play here?" comments. JMFJ was quite happening to come to this abyss last year, Wiz the previous year. Letestu, by all accounts is thrilled.

Believe it or not, we don't know the motivations of all players.

Sorry if that wasn't your intention or thoughts, but, damn, it's hard to be a fan around here. This little "jokes" start to get on my last nerve. I can get this stuff from other teams fans whenever I want. I don't need it for this guy. After all, even Detroit is now out of the mix.

My hope is that your poking fun at the Oilers.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Anyone want to explain why he is getting such flak?

Let's say I was just graduating from college and, by some miracle, had 26 job offers sitting there. Paring it down to about 5 would be pretty easy (and quite frankly, necessary). Then the final 5 or so you would actually try to negotiate with. What's so bad about him cutting his potential list quickly?

Old
06-28-2012, 11:18 AM
PuckNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post

Let's say I was just graduating from college and, by some miracle, had 26 job offers sitting there. Paring it down to about 5 would be pretty easy (and quite frankly, necessary). Then the final 5 or so you would actually try to negotiate with. What's so bad about him cutting his potential list quickly?
I believe the flak is coming more from his actions of screwing over the team that drafted him and dropping out of school using a loophole to qualify for a maximum salary. Rather than just being a young kid with a short list of teams. Then again I could be wrong.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
As mentioned the 3 teams are....

Canucks-He's from B.C. and would sign with a contender. Assuming that with the hype, he steps into the lineup in the NHL and not the AHL.

Oilers-Close to home and would fit in the youth movement. He's what the Oilers need and could get a nice offer from them.

Leafs-Friends with Jake Gardiner???

People say he would fit in the the best with Edmonton. I hope he goes to Edmonton.
Calgary, the Rangers and the Senators were also on the list per one of the TSN guys (believe it was Dreger).

Senators are an interesting addition. He may see a chance to be on a truly special pairing there.

Calgary seems to be an addition solely because they are an Alberta team. Almost wonder if Wideman is going to be sold as his potential defensive partner.

And, for us, the Rangers obviously would create some interesting trade possibilities.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post

He's not an undrafted free agent. Schultz was drafted by the Ducks in 2008, refused to sign with them and wants to decide who he signs with.

Technically, the Ducks could have traded his rights to get something for him, but he's acting like a free agent and likely wouldn't report to the team he was traded to.

This is just a mess for the whole draft system. I can see how top players want to choose where they play, but if more players do this...? What happens Jackets draft picks refuse to sign and then try to pick what team they play for?

Old
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

You know, the main reason I want to become a better team now? So I don't have to hear this same old "who would want to play here?" comments. JMFJ was quite happening to come to this abyss last year, Wiz the previous year. Letestu, by all accounts is thrilled.

Sorry if that wasn't your intention or thoughts, but, damn, it's hard to be a fan around here. This little "jokes" start to get on my last nerve. I can get this stuff from other teams fans whenever I want. I don't need it for this guy. After all, even Detroit is now out of the mix.

Thank you. Feel exactly the same way.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
He's not an undrafted free agent. Schultz was drafted by the Ducks in 2008, refused to sign with them and wants to decide who he signs with.

Technically, the Ducks could have traded his rights to get something for him, but he's acting like a free agent and likely wouldn't report to the team he was traded to.

This is just a mess for the whole draft system. I can see how top players want to choose where they play, but if more players do this...? What happens Jackets draft picks refuse to sign and then try to pick what team they play for?
This.

The NHL is not a free market society. It is a league, almost a union, with set rules.

He has decided to participate in that league. Now, he should not try to circumvent those rules. There should be heavier penalties against players that refuse to report.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36kap36 View Post
At least we can say that! Detroit not getting better=Happier me.
I would say that with the losses they've suffered this year, it's time for a major setback ... however, I think we're all about to see the coaching genius Mike Babcock show us exactly why they hired him in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Thread could have been closed right there.

Honestly, we never had a shot, but at least they gave it the old college try. We can no longer play the "We have Rick Nash" card even, so really, this was nothing more than a formality.

Give it 2-3 years and let our youth movement build. We will get some major assets in return for Rick Nash, and will probably have three first round picks next year, in a very good draft. Maybe one of the 3-4 best drafts of all-time. Once these kids start coming up, it won't be hard to bring people in here to play. Then we'll see who's laughing.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Skraut

Quote:

No, I'm poking fun at us, because the fanbase needs to laugh.

First step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.

First step in becoming a better team is admitting you suck.

This team isn't a couple of free agents away from competing, it needs a full on rebuild. The only players we're going to get in free agency will be the ones that are severely overpaid That's not an option with Schultz since he'd be on an ELC.

The players you mentioned who were happy to be here are players traded from what they perceived to be a bad position, one where they weren't playing high enough in the lineup, or weren't appreciated by their team. We may have that with Bobrovsky, who now has a chance to be a #1 again, and may seize it, but I worry about the Nash trade and any skill or first line players we may get back how they're going to react to the situation of suddenly going from any other market to Columbus.

We all like to pound on Carter, but how many other players that we traded for, just coasted when they came here? Fedorov? Jurchina? Hulse? Svitov? Sydor? Irbe? (he never even played here after being traded, went to Europe)

The most common (only) praise for Scott Howson is that he does good when he trades for somebody that nobody has ever heard of. That's because they're buried in teams with more depth, and he's giving them a chance here where they flourish.

Yeah I'm getting way off topic, but this is who the Blue Jackets are right now. If your a marginal UFA vet, looking to cash in (Huselius, Commodore, A. Carter, Hrdina, Wiz, Foote ) the team can throw a lot of green your way to make you like us enough to want to play here. If you're very good you can look past Columbus and find a contender who will pay you a good amount, and where you have a chance to win.

I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it, but this is the current identity of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Until the perception around the league changes, this is the legacy we are stuck with. Is it endless? As a Wings fan in the early 1980's, I'll tell you no. The only answer is time. Time for your prospects to develop without being rushed. Time for your coaches to define a team identity without being fired every other year. Time to learn from your mistakes.

Once Nash gets traded, this team will be slightly ahead of where it was at year 1. 4 forward lines of cast-offs, missed prospects, and younger prospects who still hold promise. Those are combined with goalies who had limited success in the past, but no one knows if they can repeat. The one advantage is that this team has the best defense it has ever had, and a core group that wants to change the situation.

But you're kidding yourself if you think this team is a free agent or two away from the playoffs, and that those free agents are lining up to sign with the Blue Jackets. But I'm sure that won't stop the next round of "Why didn't Howson sign player X" comments each time a free agent gets signed.

It sucks, but there's nothing we can do but wait. If you can't even have a little humor over the situation in the meantime, you'll drive yourself nuts with it, and burn out as so many others have.

In short: Lighten up Francis, it's grown men getting paid millions to play a kids game. Our guys aren't as good as their guys, and won't be for a while. Getting upset about it ain't gonna change things.

Last edited by Skraut: 06-28-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: repetative post was overly repetatively repetetive
Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
No, I'm poking fun at us, because the fanbase needs to laugh.

First step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.

First step in becoming a better team is admitting you suck.

This team isn't a couple of free agents away from competing, it needs a full on rebuild. The only players we're going to get in free agency will be the ones that are severely overpaid That's not an option with Schultz since he'd be on an ELC.

The players you mentioned who were happy to be here are players traded from what they perceived to be a bad position, one where they weren't playing high enough in the lineup, or weren't appreciated by their team. We may have that with Bobrovsky, who now has a chance to be a #1 again, and may seize it, but I worry about the Nash trade and any skill or first line players we may get back how they're going to react to the situation of suddenly going from any other market to Columbus.

We all like to pound on Carter, but how many other players that we traded for, just coasted when they came here? Fedorov? Jurchina? Hulse? Svitov? Sydor? Irbe? (he never even played here after being traded, went to Europe)

The most common (only) praise for Scott Howson is that he does good when he trades for somebody that nobody has ever heard of. That's because they're buried in teams with more depth, and he's giving them a chance here where they flourish.

Yeah I'm getting way off topic, but this is who the Blue Jackets are right now. If your a marginal UFA vet, looking to cash in (Huselius, Commodore, A. Carter, Hrdina, Wiz, Foote ) the team can throw a lot of green your way to make you like us enough to want to play here. If you're very good you can look past Columbus and find a contender who will pay you a good amount, and where you have a chance to win.

I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it, but this is the current identity of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Until the perception around the league changes, this is the legacy we are stuck with. Is it endless? As a Wings fan in the early 1980's, I'll tell you no. The only answer is time. Time for your prospects to develop without being rushed. Time for your coaches to define a team identity without being fired every other year. Time to learn from your mistakes.

Once Nash gets traded, this team will be slightly ahead of where it was at year 1. 4 forward lines of cast-offs, missed prospects, and younger prospects who still hold promise. Those are combined with goalies who had limited success in the past, but no one knows if they can repeat. The one advantage is that this team has the best defense it has ever had, and a core group that wants to change the situation.

But you're kidding yourself if you think this team is a free agent or two away from the playoffs, and that those free agents are lining up to sign with the Blue Jackets. But I'm sure that won't stop the next round of "Why didn't Howson sign player X" comments each time a free agent gets signed.

It sucks, but there's nothing we can do but wait. If you can't even have a little humor over the situation in the meantime, you'll drive yourself nuts with it, and burn out as so many others have.

In short: Lighten up Francis, it's grown men getting paid millions to play a kids game. Our guys aren't as good as their guys, and won't be for a while. Getting upset about it ain't gonna change things.
Good post, good reality check, but I will say this.

I'm not sure we aren't a good solid goaltender from being a playoff team with this defense we've assembled. Hell Methot is a Canadian National Team defenseman the last 2 years (granted thats only WC action) and most fans are ready to cast him off because of that contract. That says alot about our confidence in the other 6 + Murray.

I think this defense with a good solid netminder will give us a foundation to go forward with as we draft/trade/develop a young core of forwards. The arrival of Prospal and JJohnson, and the exciting emergence of Atkinson have really changed my outlook for this team from where it was a year ago. Bobrovsky isn't a sure bet, and thats what we need but won't likely find.

Last edited by Nordique: 06-28-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
blahblah

Yeah, Skraut is fueling the nonsense. Yes, if you are looking for a contender you are not coming to the Jackets. However that is not the primary focus of every player nor are the contender teams necessarily interested in said player. The assumption that every player is looking to go to a team that is going to contend for the Cup that year is false.

I'm not sure how close you may have come to making similar statements, I admit I got turned off with the first couple of paragraphs to go too much further.

True we can't get everyone. That is the same for every team. We can attract FA's better than team like the Islanders, or possibly even worse, the Oilers. Being in the West further decreases our chances. However we can get more than our fan base thinks we can. Howson should not give up trying to get a player simply because he thinks the odds are low, if not impossible. Luckily you don't have to get the prime FA's to build a competitive team.

The reality is that we've done a good job of FA retention for the most part. Even with other player that could have landed on a contending team had they moved. Our image isn't as bad with the majority of the players as we make it out to be.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Skraut

Blah and I agreeing for once. It's just a shame he doesn't realize it.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
CapnCornelius

This discussion reminds me of Dean Lombardi a few years ago when he did his best Grouch Marx impression more or less saying he didn't want any free agent who would want to play in LA (I believe he was focusing on the weather aspect).

There are players who would like to play here and will play hard--Prospal is an example. Tough part is figuring which of those guys are serious and which are just saying what we want to hear in an attempt to get an above-market pay day either from us or another team competing for their service.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Blah and I agreeing for once. It's just a shame he doesn't realize it.
As I said I'm having a hard time getting through your post. However, your initial post, an the large streams of others just like it, get terribly annoying.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
There are players who would like to play here and will play hard--Prospal is an example. Tough part is figuring which of those guys are serious and which are just saying what we want to hear in an attempt to get an above-market pay day either from us or another team competing for their service.
Nice post.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Skraut

Quote:
As I said I'm having a hard time getting through your post. However, your initial post, an the large streams of others just like it, get terribly annoying.
I know, reality is hard to face sometimes. That's why I'm trying to make it easier by joking about it, then it's not so frightening.

There are a lot of people here, wound way to tight, and I was just trying to alleviate some of that pressure for people with a little humor. I am sorry to have annoyed you.

The situation sucks, and we all deal with this in different ways. You know where the ignore button is if you can't deal with mine.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
blahblah

Quote:
The situation sucks, and we all deal with this in different ways. You know where the ignore button is if you can't deal with mine.
You know I don't put people on ignore, generally. There is no way to distinguish intent with the post you made. Since it's basically the same stuff that others post, I place it in the extremely tiresome category that is too overused, not funny, and not very original. Not meant as an insult, but I've been reading that stuff for my entire time on here. It's basically "2002 called and they want their joke back".

As far as your "reality" comment. Well... Let's just say that I'm still not 100% sure what your reality is.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Nordique

Quote:
You know I don't put people on ignore, generally. There is no way to distinguish intent with the post you made. Since it's basically the same stuff that others post, I place it in the extremely tiresome category that is too overused, not funny, and not very original. Not meant as an insult, but I've been reading that stuff for my entire time on here. It's basically "2002 called and they want their joke back".

As far as your "reality" comment. Well... Let's just say that I'm still not 100% sure what your reality is.
Way to go personal when you can't tolerate someone's opinion.

Can't say I'm shocked though.

Closed Thread