HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
  #126
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Kadri for the latter half of his AHL season has been playing as a center.
I saw some in the playoffs for sure but how much in the regular season? His weakness is faceoffs so without that he won't get a look unless he just pours the points in. Also I don't think there is any way Burke goes with two flyweight centers.

Edit: Seriously, does any one know how many games he actually got in at the centre position?


Last edited by nuck: 06-28-2012 at 09:06 PM.
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
  #127
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I saw some in the playoffs for sure but how much in the regular season? His weakness is faceoffs so without that he won't get a look unless he just pours the points in. Also I don' think there is any way Burke goes with two flyweight centers.
He's not worse at faceoffs than Connolly is he?

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
  #128
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Really want Latendresse or Mueller as project players.

Latendresse preferably.
I don't want any more damn project players! I want dependability for a change.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
  #129
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I like Mueller. And he's also American too. He had a good season with Colorado, just a bit of an injury bug. I think if we can get him, Kulemin could be move for a centre.

Lupl - centre - Kessel
Mueller - Grabo - JVR
Kadri - Bozak - Armstrong

Why do some people in here constantly mention this as if this is somehow an important quality that Burke looks for in a player if they're gonna play on the Leafs?


If this was true, then why did he just draft 5 Canadians and only 1 American a week ago??


Anybody who believes this to have any bearing in Burke's decision making on talent evaluation is a moron, plain and simple.

/rant.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
  #130
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I don't want any more damn project players! I want dependability for a change.
I like both those players a lot but both have had major concussion issues. Lats is a big banger and if he can't hit, that basically wacks his game.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
  #131
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Why do some people in here constantly mention this as if this is somehow an important quality that Burke looks for in a player if they're gonna play on the Leafs?

If this was true, then why did he just draft 5 Canadians and only 1 American a week ago??


Anybody who believes this to have any bearing in Burke's decision making is a moron, plain and simple.

/rant.
No but it does peak his interest, he's always said that.. He can relate to these guys in terms of living in Canada compare to the States and he has a big stake in Team USA so I'm sure he has connections with a lot of those guys.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
  #132
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
No but it does peak his interest, he's always said that.. He can relate to these guys in terms of living in Canada compare to the States and he has a big stake in Team USA so I'm sure he has connections with a lot of those guys.

Then please provide a link to which interview that he supposedly said this on. If he did in fact say this, then I'll apologize to you.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
  #133
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
C Olli Jokinen (2 years, 3.3M cap hit)
C Jason Arnott (2 years, 2.2M cap hit)
LW Brandon Prust (3 years, 1.1M cap hit)
D Justin Schultz (3 years, 3.8M cap hit)
D Mark Mitera (AHL contract)

Joffrey Lupul - Olli Jokinen - Phil Kessel
James van Riemsdyk - Mikhail Grabovski - Nikolai Kulemin
Nazem Kadri - Jason Arnott - Matt Frattin
Leo Komarov - David Steckel - Colby Armstrong
Mike Brown

Trade/Waive: Matthew Lombardi, Clarke MacArthur, Tyler Bozak
AHL: Jerry D'Amigo, Joe Colborne
IR: Tim Connolly


Last edited by Four1 Lead: 06-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:27 AM
  #134
Dr Swag
Banned User
 
Dr Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: T.
Country: Canada
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
lol were not signing jokinen

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:36 AM
  #135
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500



LeBrun:

Zach Parise still hasn't officially decided but my sense is that he dips his toes into the UFA market while keeping NJ very much in mix.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
  #136
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Martin Brodeur very likely to test free agent market. Brodeur has hired Pat Brisson (CAA) to represent him. Bidders get ready!
I posted this in the other free agent thread...

Seems very unlikely but... he'd be exactly what Burke is looking for. Experience and short-term.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
  #137
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Brodeur as well.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
  #138
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I posted this in the other free agent thread...

Seems very unlikely but... he'd be exactly what Burke is looking for. Experience and short-term.
He hasn't had an agent in YEARS.

Fact that he hired one says he's thinking seriously about leaving NJ.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
  #139
Hotshot320
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
My UFA wishlist is:

Doan if under $4 Million (Don't know if he would come here)
Prust or Moen
Biron (If not Trade for #1G is looking good)

And try to improve by trade for #1C (Easier said than done).

Hotshot320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
  #140
Dr Swag
Banned User
 
Dr Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: T.
Country: Canada
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
You would think Brodeur wants one last chance to win the cup...

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:43 AM
  #141
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
Wow I cant believe that Brodeur would even consider leaving Devils.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:49 AM
  #142
GilmourClarkScores
Registered User
 
GilmourClarkScores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
IR: Tim Connolly
You got me. I lol'ed

GilmourClarkScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:52 AM
  #143
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I saw some in the playoffs for sure but how much in the regular season? His weakness is faceoffs so without that he won't get a look unless he just pours the points in. Also I don't think there is any way Burke goes with two flyweight centers.

Edit: Seriously, does any one know how many games he actually got in at the centre position?
I think he was decent in the faceoff circle.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
  #144
mpleafan
Registered User
 
mpleafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
C Olli Jokinen (2 years, 3.3M cap hit)
C Jason Arnott (2 years, 2.2M cap hit)
LW Brandon Prust (3 years, 1.1M cap hit)
D Justin Schultz (3 years, 3.8M cap hit)
D Mark Mitera (AHL contract)

Joffrey Lupul - Olli Jokinen - Phil Kessel
James van Riemsdyk - Mikhail Grabovski - Nikolai Kulemin
Nazem Kadri - Jason Arnott - Matt Frattin
Leo Komarov - David Steckel - Colby Armstrong
Mike Brown

Trade/Waive: Matthew Lombardi, Clarke MacArthur, Tyler Bozak
AHL: Jerry D'Amigo, Joe Colborne
IR: Tim Connolly
So we sign Prust, to not play him?

mpleafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:55 AM
  #145
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 36,158
vCash: 500
Lupul JVR Kessel
Mccarthur Grabovsky Kessel
Kadri Bozak Doan
Steckel Connolly Brown

bah screw that......too small

Lupul ------ Kessel
JVR Grabovsky Kulemin
McCarthur Bozak Frattin
Steckel Connolly Brown

may as well dump bozak and mcarthur....

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:59 AM
  #146
DeputyMcLaren
Registered User
 
DeputyMcLaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kingston Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
He's not worse at faceoffs than Connolly is he?
Connelly was pretty bad in the face-off circle, It looked like most of the time he just wasn't trying lol. That said if Kadri puts some muscle on this summer he should eventually get the strength required to win face offs.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
  #147
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpleafan View Post
So we sign Prust, to not play him?
lol, good eye.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
  #148
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Why do some people in here constantly mention this as if this is somehow an important quality that Burke looks for in a player if they're gonna play on the Leafs?

If this was true, then why did he just draft 5 Canadians and only 1 American a week ago??

Anybody who believes this to have any bearing in Burke's decision making on talent evaluation is a moron, plain and simple.

/rant.
Toronto likely has more American born players on their team than most if not all other NHL teams, and being Canadian based, with the fact +50% of all NHL players Canadian born there is a pattern here. Actions speak louder than words so lets see;

- Luke Schenn (Canadian) traded for James Van Riemsdyk (American)

- Tyler Sequin, Dougie Hamilton & Jared Knight (all Canadian) for Phil Kessel (American).

- Last summer signed Tim Connolly (American), traded drat picks for JM Liles (American) and David Steckel (American).

- Signed Mike Komisarek (American), traded for Mike Brown (American), Jake Gardiner (American), Joey Crabb (American), drafted Kenny Ryan, Jerry D'Amigo, Tyler Biggs all Americans etc from the USNDP.

Seeing as how GM Burke (American) is loading up on American born players, that is what would give people the idea he prefers Americans.

Considering Peter Mueller played center for Phil Kessel at the U.S. National U18 Team (USNDP) & played together WJC in 2004 & 2005 teams.

Therefore considering Peter Mueller is an American a UFA, and a center, while being linked to Kessel in the past and comes from Burke's home state of Minnesota no less I think its easy to connect the dots to believe he is on Leafs radar as a potential signing this summer.

If he comes relatively cheap its probably worth a gamble as a former 1st round selection #8 overall.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
  #149
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Toronto likely has more American born players on their team than most if not all other NHL teams, and being Canadian based, with the fact +50% of all NHL players Canadian born there is a pattern here. Actions speak louder than words so lets see;

- Luke Schenn (Canadian) traded for James Van Riemsdyk (American)

- Tyler Sequin, Dougie Hamilton & Jared Knight (all Canadian) for Phil Kessel (American).

- Last summer signed Tim Connolly (American), traded drat picks for JM Liles (American) and David Steckel (American).

- Signed Mike Komisarek (American), traded for Mike Brown (American), Jake Gardiner (American), Joey Crabb (American), drafted Kenny Ryan, Jerry D'Amigo, Tyler Biggs all Americans etc from the USNDP.

Seeing as how GM Burke (American) is loading up on American born players, that is what would give people the idea he prefers Americans.

Considering Peter Mueller played center for Phil Kessel at the U.S. National U18 Team (USNDP) & played together WJC in 2004 & 2005 teams.

Therefore considering Peter Mueller is an American a UFA, and a center, while being linked to Kessel in the past and comes from Burke's home state of Minnesota no less I think its easy to connect the dots to believe he is on Leafs radar as a potential signing this summer.

If he comes relatively cheap its probably worth a gamble as a former 1st round selection #8 overall.
When did we trade them for Kessel?

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
  #150
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
I'd like to know when Jared Knight changed his citizenship.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.