HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why We Don't Need a #1 D

Old
06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

vCash: 500
Phaneuf is a #2 at best. Also Letang, Keith and Pietrangelo are all number 1 D man.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
soulie

Phaneuf is not a number 1 defenceman in my eyes and reason he isn't is very simple I don't feel he performs his number one job, that is keeping the pucks out of our net, effectively enough. His offensive attributes are simply not compelling enough as to dominate a game and therefore his impact varies greatly on any given night.

soulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Letang is a great offensive defenceman, but I don't have much faith in him in his own zone. And he has a mushy head.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Ricky Bobby

Phaneuf is a # 1, just not Norris/Franchise Calibar discussion # 1 like Doughty, Weber, Chara, etc.

As Nonis said in a recent interview every team does it a bit different. LA had Doughty which allowed them to not have the best # 2, 3 and 4 Dmen in the world in Mitchell, Scuderi and Voynov (still good but also far from being anything special).

A team like the Rangers meanwhile don't have an exceptional # 1 dman but Girardi, Staal and McDonagh are all # 1's/top pairing quality dmen. And Del Zotto is a good # 4.

Nashville had two exceptional # 1's which allowed them to have not so great # 3/4 dmen and still have success.

As it stands Toronto needs Gardiner to become a top pairing dman, Gunnarson to remain a good 2nd pairing dman and one other addition like say Schultz/Rielly to join the group and become a top pairing dman. Than we can have Liles be an awesome # 5.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
BIitz

vCash: 50
Shouldn't matter what Phaneuf is. A #1 D is someone who can play a lot of minutes, and hard ones because your D depth isn't that great. They are a #1 D because they are thrown out in every situation.

The way Burke has assembled a nice prospect of D's, we shouldn't be worried if we have a #1 D or not cause a lot of these kids can play a lot of unsheltered minutes. If we have D they can play in different situations, then we will be as covered as having a #1 D.

BIitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Beleafer4

Phaneuf is a number 1 defenseman, but he not good enough to be a number 1 on a cup winning team (unless the rest of your team is STACKED).

On a cup winning team, he is more of an awesome #2.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:09 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Too late, the Leafs already have a number one defenceman in Phaneuf.
This is such a spiteful post. Why not use your usual line about "stop making threads". Do you add more here than the peanut gallery stuff?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
bossfrog2
Rookie User

Your post changed my mind a bit. I've always thought that Gunnarson as top defense was a huge hole (though he is good and getting better). Mostly because Phaneuf is not a clear #1 D.

Your post is the same I was thinking about #1 center. They are very hard to come by, if the wingers are strong it can make up for a weaker center.

bossfrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
oneoftheseyears

What type of defenceman do people think would be the perfect match for Phaneuf, giving us that ideal top D pairing?
I'm thinking a two-way Dman with emphasis on defensive capabilities and controlling the play in our end/getting the puck out of our end. Basically a better Gunnar(not that he hasn't played well) or the type of player he hope Rielly can become if he continues to work on is D game

oneoftheseyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Lefebvre
Mccoun
Ellet
Gill

Was there a true number 1 d amongst them?

They don't have to score 50+ points. They just need to log big minutes, make big defensive plays, and make a safe pass out of the zone.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftheseyears View Post
What type of defenceman do people think would be the perfect match for Phaneuf, giving us that ideal top D pairing?
I'm thinking a two-way Dman with emphasis on defensive capabilities and controlling the play in our end/getting the puck out of our end. Basically a better Gunnar(not that he hasn't played well) or the type of player he hope Rielly can become if he continues to work on is D game
I will take the Pierre McGuire stance in that Rielly would be fantastic pairing considering the differences in their game. Rielly could be passing bombs to him all night ala Kaberle - McCabe. Would rather pair Phaneuf with a two way defenseman then a pure shut down defender.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Mowerman

Phaneuf is a balanced, top pairing guy who can eat big minutes and be a highly effective player in all zones. We just need somebody to play with him.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Rinzler

Phaneuf is a #1 guy, nobody can convince me otherwise. When he's on the ice everyone on the opposition knows it.

He plays top pairing minutes, is among the top scoring D men in the league and is the best open ice hitter in the NHL. Fights too.

He is a crummy interviewer and isn't perfect in every aspect, but overall he's one of the best out there most nights.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:32 PM
dballislife2

i think we need,
1. goalie
2. 1c
3. size and toughness
4. improve D

a lot of areas need to be addressed before we start talking about the our defense

dballislife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:37 PM
oneoftheseyears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
I will take the Pierre McGuire stance in that Rielly would be fantastic pairing considering the differences in their game. Rielly could be passing bombs to him all night ala Kaberle - McCabe. Would rather pair Phaneuf with a two way defenseman then a pure shut down defender.
Yeah i think a two way D is the way to go. Hopefully we don't trade Gunnar away so he can hold down the fort until Rielly is ready. Which, hopefully, will be sooner rather than later

oneoftheseyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:44 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
lol @ Phaneuf being a legit #1
+1 ..

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:55 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

For Phaneuf NOT to be a #1 d-man, there would technically have to be 30 d-men better than him... Anyone wanna start a list?

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
I cant believe how underrated Phaneuf is around here. Was the allstar nod and playing 25+ minutes a night not enough? 12th in scoring for defensemen?

Same heat Mats used to take.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
For Phaneuf NOT to be a #1 d-man, there would technically have to be 30 d-men better than him... Anyone wanna start a list?
HF made a list (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1217553) and Phaneuf ranked 25th. A bit low for me, but HF hates him. Still a #1 by their standards.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:59 PM
questhockey

Phanuef is a top pairing guy only with a defensive minded partner... period.
If he doesn't have someone to cover his ass, he's a 3/4 guy, no matter how many points he puts up, or how much he's paid.

Kinda like saying Wideman(signed today) is worth 5.25 Million a year (NUTZ) because he puts up big points...it a huge problem in the league when points outshine, complete player.

Wideman puts up lots of points but causes lots of points against also due to poor defensive play...Same a Phaneuf.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:08 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
That's not what a number one defenceman is.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
MarcWagz

when did this board decide phaneuf was good again?
did you watch this team last year? he bailed when the team started doing bailed, provided no leadership and was nothing more than a decent defender.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
HF made a list (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1217553) and Phaneuf ranked 25th. A bit low for me, but HF hates him. Still a #1 by their standards.
there are A LOT of guys above him on that list that I would never trade Phaneuf for!

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
when did this board decide phaneuf was good again?
did you watch this team last year? he bailed when the team started doing bailed, provided no leadership and was nothing more than a decent defender.
I loved it when Phaneuf would stand in front of the net and tell the forwards what to do in the defensive zone. It was like a general on the battlefield. I mean now I can see why he could last 25+ minutes on the ice, it's because he didn't really put a lot of effort in terms of defence.

He's still a good player don't get me wrong but he just looks very nonchalant in the defensive end. It doesn't look like he puts a lot of effort in his D-game.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:01 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

There is no 1D in the word TEAM.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote