HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 CBJ Development Camp (7/3-7/7)

Old
07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
whey protein shakes will get you there much more easily on the stomach.
Haha... ON Double Chocolate every three hours! I never ate more than then either. It is furiously frustrating eating 5,000 calories every day. But that's what it took! In December the guy I worked out with PCS'd and I was never the one with the motivation to begin with. Stopped eating an obscene amount and I stopped lifting and I lost it all pretty quickly.

It's more effort than it's worth IMO. Although... I'm not on a $1,000,000 ELC

PM me if you'd like, this really isn't on-topic

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
bizzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrussJacket View Post
Came away from camp today excited about the cbj furture. Our talent level was very very impressive. Most camps ive been to, one or two guys really stand out from the rest and some look terrible. However, i can say not 1 person looked bad and quite a few caught my eye!
All what you're saying just can not be truth. Cause all of those guys were drafted by Howson! On these boards I've learned that he has to be fired also because he can't draft and the Jackets just can't develop players. All those kids, excluding 2012 draft class, should have been ruined by now
BTW, thanks for the recap.

bizzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I love how that type of garbage post always makes it into every thread.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:23 PM
bizzz

Do you mean posts like: "How is this idiot Howson still has a job" on every page of every thread?

bizzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
How is this idiot Howson still has a job?
Now that you asked, how does Howson still have a job?

Anything you would like to add about the camp. Mainly I'm interested in hearing about Murray and Johansen.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

This cracked me up:

http://twitter.com/RobMixer/status/221367853364948992

Quote:
@odansk30 with a deft job grilling the steaks. ‪#CBJ‬ ‪#natural
Immediately followed by....

http://twitter.com/mreilly93/status/221388272339918848

Quote:
@odansk30 just made the boys a brutal medium rare steak that took a minimum of 10 minutes to swallow one small piece ‪#mixinacookingclass

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
99 CBJ

According to Puckrakers Devo Camp, Day 4, They were originally slated to end things with a Saturday scrimmage but because of a lack of enough healthy players to hold a full-blown game the Jackets end camp with a day of competitive drills and a shoot-out competition. Here's hoping for another Finnish Worm from the losers.

99 CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

Beauties. I'm loving this group of kids ... I'm seeing camaraderie, not primadonnas.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:27 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 CBJ View Post
According to Puckrakers Devo Camp, Day 4, They were originally slated to end things with a Saturday scrimmage but because of a lack of enough healthy players to hold a full-blown game the Jackets end camp with a day of competitive drills and a shoot-out competition. Here's hoping for another Finnish Worm from the losers.
Not to be doom and gloom but typical Blue Jacket luck, jinx, etc. Too bad they can't scrimmage.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:19 AM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Not to be doom and gloom but typical Blue Jacket luck, jinx, etc. Too bad they can't scrimmage.
Maybe they just decided to take a real good look at a few players this year, rather then bring in the world. It's still hockey, and I miss it.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Yes typical, unlike the New York Rangers who had one of their best defenseman prospects dislocate his kneecap during their scrimmage.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:08 AM
ernmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrussJacket View Post
Park in the attached garage on 2nd level. Make sure you stop at front desk of IceHaus to have parking validated. I didnt know I was suppose to do that and they tried to charge me on my way out. I threw a fit lol because there was no information provided saying I needed to do that. Didnt have to pay though, But make sure you park on 2nd level, the first level is reserved and they do tow.
Are you referring to the parking garage across the street from the arena?

It seems as though they would just let everyone park in parking lot directly outside of the arena...

ernmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I believe he is referring to the garage attached to the arena. You can park there on camp days and such. I've forgotten to get my parking validated and they let me out for free anyway, too.

On a day like this with highs in the 100+, it might be a good day to not park with a 10 minute walk.

Matthew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
Are you referring to the parking garage across the street from the arena?

It seems as though they would just let everyone park in parking lot directly outside of the arena...
That parking lot, on the west side, is more or less gone due to construction of a garage.

Best bet is the one attached, on the North.

Heading down there now. Should be fun!

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
Quote:
His reply gave me a chuckle too:

https://twitter.com/odansk30/status/221403361973514242

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Back from camp.

At first Korpisalo was doing really good, really outshining everbody, but I also thought Forsberg and Oullette looked good, Dansk wasn't very good at the start. During the drill were there was 2 forwards 1 dman I only saw Dansk make the save 5 times out of like 20, he was either sniped or let in a juicy rebound. Not good there. He really needs to improve his glove. As time went on Dansk started playing better and I thought Oullette and Forsberg maintained their good play, but Korpisalo really started struggling, especially during the shootout where he was absolutely dangled by Johansen 3 times. Korpisalo got frustrated and threw his stick into the boards and slammed it on the ice. Needs more composure.

Now for forwards and D. I really was excited to see Atkinson, but I left a bit disappointed. I think Cam was trying to put on a show for the fans and didn't play his style. He was trying to dangle everyone out, and it rarely worked, if it did work he would miss the net or hit crossbar. He didn't play very physical during the 2 on 1 drill.

I thought Will Weber was really strong, he blocked a ton of shots during the 2vs1 drill, and the half ice drill, he seemed to get a bit shaken up after blocking one into the shoulder, but he continued. He looks like he has a good wrister. Keep an eye out for him.

You all know how I feel about Ryan Murray, and I was going to watch him closely. during the 2on1 drills I was underwhelmed by is defense, he tried to take away the shot instead of playing the pass, however when he was forward I was surprised with his shot. Kid has a nice slapper and unleashed a beauty slapper past Oullette in the 2v1 drill. He also scored a few goals in the shootout through the five hole. I was not a fan on how he and Johansen were running the conditioning drills. They both seemed to glide instead of going all out. Hope the coaches saw it too, they weren't the only ones gliding.

Dalton Smith looks like a player. He reminds me of a more skilled Derek Dorsett.

Jenner was decent. He had a few moments of good play but he really needs to improve his shot. His skating has gotten alot better from last year, though.

Josh Anderson, Sean Collins and Ambroz had some nice moments, but seemed to blend in. Anderson has a nice shot.

I liked Zaar and Lynch. Zaar has a nice shot and has some good wheels, Lynch was doing a really good job battling for the puck.

Proud looks like he could be a good leader, he was communicating really well with his teamamtes in the drills, also with his goalie. I like Proutter.

Mike Reilly could be a diamond in the rough, his skating reminds me of Kris Russell. Wish he'd use his shot more.

Was excited to see Austin Madaisky, but I was a bit underwhelmed. He needs to shoot more, he was OK on defense and a good passer.

Packed house. Management really needs to get going with this team, fans are dying for a winner.

Also, at the end I gained alot of respect for RyJo. After everyone raised there sticks he helped out getting all the cones and pucks off the ice with plenty of other teammates, but then he skated over to the penalty box and looked in the stands, first row was a kid who was about 4-8 years old, RyJo tapped the glass to get his attention, and gave him the stick. The kid was really happy.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:35 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Just got back, I spent most of my time watching the goalies.

Dansk-Had a pretty bad day, but did very well in the shootout type drills. Also I agree there isn't a chance he is 6'2".

Korpisalo-Quicker than I expected, got angry when Ryjo did a between the legs shootout move and scored. made some brilliant saves, but let in a couple softies too. All in all I thought it was a good day for him.

Forsberg-I thought he had the best day out of the goalies, he looked very calm and composed in his net. The thing I noticed was he took very many risks in regard to poke checks. Most of them worked out, surprisingly.

Oullette-He was just kinda meh to me, made some good saves, but got burned on a lot more cross crease passes than the other goalies did. Korpisalo did very well with those.

As for the skaters

Ryjo-thought he looked bigger, faster than I expected, however seemed like he wasn't giving full effort at some points.

Zaar-He's got the tools, including a hell of a shot. I think he needs to develop the mental side of his game, however, to put himself in better positions to use his shot.

Murray-Had some good shots, but was MUCH slower than I expected. Didn't really look like he wanted to be there either.

Madaisky-He and Prout were the best defenseman on the ice in my eyes. I think he's well on his way to becoming a steal.

Aleardi- This guy was quick, very quick. I hope we sign him.

Reilly- He was also very quick. I look forward to see how he does in his first college year.

For those there, agree or disagree?

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:40 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Brass, that little kid you mentioned was right in front of me, and at first he had absolutely no clue what just happened, but then he got really excited.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Brass, that little kid you mentioned was right in front of me, and at first he had absolutely no clue what just happened, but then he got really excited.
Hahaha, nice. I was only 4 rows back from the kid so I was near you.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Just got back, I spent most of my time watching the goalies.

Dansk-Had a pretty bad day, but did very well in the shootout type drills. Also I agree there isn't a chance he is 6'2".
I stood next to him at the draft on the second day. He was standing out in the main concourse talking to fans, and I ended up next to him off to one side. He's the same height as my older brother, who's something like 6' 1 1/2".

Maybe Dansk gets and stays lower than other goalies do, but as far as actual height goes, there's no reason to believe that 6'2" is inaccurate.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:19 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

My top lines of the day...
Forwards: Jenner, Zaar, Johansen.
Defense: Murray, Reilly
Goalie: Forsberg

FORWARD:
Ryan Johansen is very good at moving the puck in tight spaces, finding the open man. He's bigger, but not faster.
Boone Jenner is ready for the show. I could see Boone as the 3rd line center.
Atkinson didn't really stand out from the rest of the roster. I'm little worried about penciling him in on the 2nd line.
Alex Aleardi is a little goal machine against these guys. Got serious wheels. May be too small for the NHL.
Zaar has nasty wrist shot, heavy slap shot, good size, good hands, glides too much when skating which hurts his speed.
Gabriel had his moments, but was inconsistent.
Ambroz has good size, could be a player in a couple of years.
There's temptation to discount Vogelhuber because he's local, he should be re-signed. He improves every year.

DEFENSE:
Murray is the real deal. Didn't appear to be skating at full speed.
Reilly is big and can really skate.
Madaisky doesn't impress me much. Weak wrist shot - even for a defenseman.
Weber on the other hand can rip it! He'll hit you.

GOALIE:
Forsberg was terrific in net all day. Do we have to send him back?
Dansk was lit up like a Xmas tree. A little slow on post to post movement.
Ouellette is a better goalie than I thought he was, also slow side to side.
Korpisalo was solid but unspectacular.
Overall though, the goalies collectively seem better than they have been at past camps.

None of the others really looked out of place.

Last edited by leesmith: 07-07-2012 at 04:29 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Was only able to attend today's session and was late to boot, so I won't give any scouting reports. It was good to see Murray, RyJo, among others. The packed Ice Haus was pretty cool also, no pun intended.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Xoggz22

I'll post more later but I was pretty impressed with the tempo and the overall skill level. I really liked the challenges such as playing with your off hand stick on the one relay.

I think Springfield has some exciting players to watch. I really liked Weber and want to see how he adjusts to playing the pro game. Big fan of Zaar already and thought Josh Anderson was much better than I expected. Forsberg looks like he could be a good one. Reilly and Murray have future stars written all over them. Reilly can skate and his vision an transition is outstanding. I don't see him staying at U of MN for 4 years.

Johansen has some sick offensive skill too. He's going to be good - may not be this year but soon.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:39 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
I stood next to him at the draft on the second day. He was standing out in the main concourse talking to fans, and I ended up next to him off to one side. He's the same height as my older brother, who's something like 6' 1 1/2".

Maybe Dansk gets and stays lower than other goalies do, but as far as actual height goes, there's no reason to believe that 6'2" is inaccurate.
Dansk was measured at the Combine: 6' 2.5". I'm not sure how he could have deceived the NHL officials.

Maybe his equipment (skates/mask) is shorter?

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:50 PM
kaboomski

What has become of Ted Ruth?

kaboomski is offline   Reply With Quote