HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 09:43 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Is Marty rumored to go to chicago. Or is it speculation?

I didn't want Sarich. Happy he re-signed.

I think a lot of players are re-signing with their clubs because of the possibility of the lockout. Lower tier players who don't want to be stuck as a free agent with no contract as organizations become weary of the new cba regulations.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
I would love nothing more than for Brodeur to get signed to a team like Toronto and go 9-37 on the season before eventually just realizing he's terrible and going home.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:57 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I would love nothing more than for Brodeur to get signed to a team like Toronto and go 9-37 on the season before eventually just realizing he's terrible and going home.
I would blame it more on the players in front of him if that were his record at the end of the year.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I would blame it more on the players in front of him if that were his record at the end of the year.
Well yeah, I mean only a complete idiot would actually think he's a bad goalie. My point is, watching him walk off the ice this year, hanging his head, without a cup, was satisfying to me. Watching him sign somewhere else and actually having a **** team in front of him and losing 37 games and only winning 9 would be even more gratifying to me.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:05 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I sort of foresee the Marty negotiations going somewhat like that scene in Seinfeld with Jackie Chiles and Kramer negotiating with the coffee company that burned Kramer...

*Marty and Brisson step into the Canadiens negotiating room*

Bergevin: Thanks for coming in Marty and listening to an offer from us.
Marty: (illegible dialogue with food stuck in his mouth)
Bergevin: Marty, we're prepared to offer you as much free Tim Horton's as you want while in Montreal, and plus...
Marty: I'LL TAKE IT!

Old
06-29-2012, 10:08 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Chicago is best fit for Marty. They have a good team. Not as good as their Cup team but still a playoff team in the west. Crawford was pathetic against PHX. He stinks. Marty is an upgrade over Crawford. Even at 40.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I see Marty and CHI. Would love to see NJD fall apart completely.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sarich stinks. That free agent list stinks. The trade market stinks. I was listening to Brian Cashman with Francesa yesterday. He knows what the other GM will want before places the call. Scout well. Draft well. Develop well. The free agent and trade markets are too expensive.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I see Marty and CHI. Would love to see NJD fall apart completely.
It won't happen but it'd be AMAZING.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:18 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sarich stinks. That free agent list stinks. The trade market stinks. I was listening to Brian Cashman with Francesa yesterday. He knows what the other GM will want before places the call. Scout well. Draft well. Develop well. The free agent and trade markets are too expensive.
Completely agree. Did not want Sarich at all. Do not want Kubina. Same people who wanted Sarich also wanted Kubina. They are both sub par slow defensemen. Their best days are behind them. The rangers like quick players. Those two are not quick.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Rick Nash. Columbus has no bidders for Nash. Howson keeps trying to gain leverage in these talks. He expects the Rangers to fork over the assets if they don't land Parise or another player. Nash controls the situation. He won't go to Ottawa. This is Heatley all over again. Ottawa had no market for Heatley besides SJ. Doug Wilson knew that. Bryan Murray kept waiting and waiting. Heatley reported to Ottawa camp and Murray wanted no part of him so he traded Heatley and a 5th to SJ for Michalek,bad contract and 2nd rounder. Some guy from Toronto tweeted if the Rangers landed Schultz,that would change the Nash dynamic with the Rangers. Portzline re-tweets it. Portzline has reported Columbus wants a Forward to be the signature piece in the deal but Sather isn't moving Kreider or Stepan plus other assets such as Del Zotto and Dubinsky and a #1 for Nash.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Levitate

Quote:
That's why, even though next years UFA class looks great, you can't bank on being able to sign great UFA's every year or something. By the time July 1st 2013 rolls around, all those guys might be signed and the few left will get insane contracts

Old
06-29-2012, 10:46 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Rick Nash. Columbus has no bidders for Nash. Howson keeps trying gain leverage in these talks. He expects the Rangers to fork over the assets if they don't land Parise or another player. Nash controls the situation. He won't go to Ottawa. This is Heatley all over again. Ottawa had no market for Heatley besides SJ. Doug Wilson knew that. Bryan Murray kept waiting and waiting. Heatley reported to Ottawa camp and Murray wanted no part of him so he traded Heatley and a 5th to SJ for Michalek,bad contract and 2nd rounder. Some guy from Toronto tweeted if the Rangers landed Schultz,that would change the Nash dynamic with the Rangers. Portzline re-tweets it. Portzline has reported Columbus wants a Forward to be the signature piece in the deal but Sather isn't moving Kreider or Stepan plus other assets such as Del Zotto and Dubinsky and a #1 for Nash.
Cerny just spoke with Clarke. I'm sure you were listening RB.

Cerny asked him what the process would be like organization wise from today until sunday. Clarke stated that the rangers had drawn up their plans at the meetings in Las Vegas before the draft. They have a blueprint for what they want to do. And based on his response it sounds like the rangers will be trying to sign a top scoring forward through free agency. Clarke was saying that if a "Top" LW or C or D can't be signed then you need to go to your plan B's.

I'm warming up to taking on Nash's contract IF we don't get Parise only because I think Sather wants Zach and will offer him a similar dollar amount to what Nash makes. And I only consider Nash if Howson lowers is price significantly. He has no leverage.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Rick Nash. Columbus has no bidders for Nash. Howson keeps trying to gain leverage in these talks. He expects the Rangers to fork over the assets if they don't land Parise or another player. Nash controls the situation. He won't go to Ottawa. This is Heatley all over again. Ottawa had no market for Heatley besides SJ. Doug Wilson knew that. Bryan Murray kept waiting and waiting. Heatley reported to Ottawa camp and Murray wanted no part of him so he traded Heatley and a 5th to SJ for Michalek,bad contract and 2nd rounder. Some guy from Toronto tweeted if the Rangers landed Schultz,that would change the Nash dynamic with the Rangers. Portzline re-tweets it. Portzline has reported Columbus wants a Forward to be the signature piece in the deal but Sather isn't moving Kreider or Stepan plus other assets such as Del Zotto and Dubinsky and a #1 for Nash.
It all makes sense. This is not Sathers first trip to the trade rodeo. He doesn't get beat on deals. At the end of the day Columbus has an unhappy player and they are forced to deal him, they do not have the type of leverage they think they do. Even IF they did, Sather wouldn't trade the bluechips and up and coming stars on this team. What it comes down to is this - Either a team comes out of left field and blows the CBJ's away with an offer, or NYR waits and CBJ has their hand eventually forced by Nash.

IF Gabby weren't hurt, I personally would pass on Nash if I were GM of the NYR. This team will be one year matured from a nice playoff run, and have added a possible top line scorer to the mix. I don't see why Kreider couldn't add 25-30 goals next season. Combine that with Hagelin who will get a full season, should add some decent scoring.

I just hope if Nash does make his way to Broadway, he figures out how to be effective in big games.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:02 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

If the Rangers are not able to sucessfully negotiate a reasonable deal with Brandon Prust, I'd say to go for Paul Gaustad before going for Zenon Kenopka.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-agent-waters/

He's coming off of a 4 year/$9.2 million deal and is looking for similar cash. I'd pony up nothing more than 3 years/$7 million (slight increase over his prior deal $2.33 AAV vs. 2.3 AAV). The guy has limited offensive skills, but more than Prust. He's not as physical, but is a bigger body who has been used on the PK. He's also very good on faceoffs.

With that being said, my main goal would be to bring Prust back. I'd draw a line in the sand at 3 years/$6 million or 2 years/$4.5 million for him though. If he doesn't consider that enough "love", I'd move on.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
If the Rangers are not able to sucessfully negotiate a reasonable deal with Brandon Prust, I'd say to go for Paul Gaustad before going for Zenon Kenopka.

He's coming off of a 4 year/$9.2 million deal and is looking for similar cash. I'd pony up nothing more than 3 years/$7 million (slight increase over his prior deal $2.33 AAV vs. 2.3 AAV). The guy has limited offensive skills, but more than Prust. He's not as physical, but is a bigger body who has been used on the PK. He's also very good on faceoffs.

With that being said, my main goal would be to bring Prust back. I'd draw a line in the sand at 3 years/$6 million or 2 years/$4.5 million for him though. If he doesn't consider that enough "love", I'd move on.
I am a big fan of this plan. Gaustad is a great teammate. I watched a lot of him in Buffalo. My few complaints about him though are that he wears a visor (a shallow complaint, I know) and that he's really only physical after the whistle. He plays a hard game in between whistles, but it's after the whistle where he really starts to play. I think this might just be an annoyance to me because it was when we were playing against Gaustad, and not when he was on the team.

Hard to argue against a guy who fills a HUGE hole in this team, because he is a faceoff machine. Not to mention he'll slide right into Prust's spot on the PK and won't miss a beat. Team first guy, fits the bill with the Blueshirts.

Though, I'd be surprised if he doesn't go back to Buffalo or re-sign in Nasvhille. The thing about being a team-first guy is that they're loyal. Not to mention that he's an absolute fan-favorite in Western New York.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post

Poile said Gaustad is going to July 1st most likely...........he will have a ton of bidders...........would like him on the Rangers for sure but kind of afraid at the price

Old
06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
NJRangers35

I like Gaustad a lot, probably would be my next jersey. But getting Gaustad would most likely solidify Boyle as our third line center which I don't like.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I would not mind Gaustad

Old
06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Poile said Gaustad is going to July 1st most likely...........he will have a ton of bidders...........would like him on the Rangers for sure but kind of afraid at the price
I agree wholeheartedly. July 1st is kind of like the Wild West and if the Wideman trade/signing was any indication, GMs will be as crazy as an ex-girlfriend in exactly 48 hours.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I like Gaustad also. And for me it has nothing to do with Prust leaving

Old
06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

All you guys are forgetting the defense fiasco in the postseason. You dont sign a guy like Gill or Sarich to be the next Phil Housely. You sign them you you dont have a turd like Stu Bickel turning pucks over three times a shift in the 3 mins he plays, only to have your top-4 play each play 30 mins a night.

The Devils beat us because they had depth scoring and they rotated 6 guys in a no-name defense.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
NikC

Quote:
Cerny just spoke with Clarke. I'm sure you were listening RB.

Cerny asked him what the process would be like organization wise from today until sunday. Clarke stated that the rangers had drawn up their plans at the meetings in Las Vegas before the draft. They have a blueprint for what they want to do. And based on his response it sounds like the rangers will be trying to sign a top scoring forward through free agency. Clarke was saying that if a "Top" LW or C or D can't be signed then you need to go to your plan B's.

I'm warming up to taking on Nash's contract IF we don't get Parise only because I think Sather wants Zach and will offer him a similar dollar amount to what Nash makes. And I only consider Nash if Howson lowers is price significantly. He has no leverage.
Nice! Smart move if only for the interim until Gabs comes back. when he does, hopefully we'll finally have a good offense.

I'll take Guastaud over Konopka without even blinking.

I'll take Tootoo as well.

Moen or Stempniak.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
All you guys are forgetting the defense fiasco in the postseason. You dont sign a guy like Gill or Sarich to be the next Phil Housely. You sign them you you dont have a turd like Stu Bickel turning pucks over three times a shift in the 3 mins he plays, only to have your top-4 play each play 30 mins a night.

The Devils beat us because they had depth scoring and they rotated 6 guys in a no-name defense.
3rd pairing depth has to be addressed. i think it will.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Chief

Quote:
Pittsburgh could very well sign Parise to an enormous contract. But I'm sorry, having Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Parise, Orpik, Martin, Michalek, and Letang does not equal cups.

Instead of paying Parise 7.5 or whatever he will get, they should split that up into 3 or 4 players, forward and defense. Because frankly they are not better than NYR, BOS, and PHI.
If the Pens roll into the PO's with a healthy Crosby, they have a shot to beat anyone. They already did it once with a cheap supporting cast and arguably less talent. It won't be easy but there will be older players willing to give it a go for one year for a ring and some young players will pan out.

On their last Cup team, if you remove Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar and Fleury from the equation, only one other player (Orpick) had a cap hit of even $3MM!

Quote:
Staal was going to be departing no matter what unless he accepted a discount from what he'd get on the open market, from the Penguins. They offered him that and he said no. They weren't going to be able to keep the big 3, especially after they added Neal's contract. And it's not like they are going to ship Neal out when he is young, scores goals, and plays the wing as opposed to center.
Staal left because he didn't want to be 3rd banana on the team not because of money. We'll see where Staal's production tops out but I'm not sure he'll ever be a point per game player, which would mean he wouldn't be worth one of the top end contracts anyway.

Quote:
I understand they have generational talents but you need players to surround them. You need depth. You need defense to win championships. They dont have that. Guys like Vitale and Adams, those types of players can't hold other teams 4th line's jock straps. They are horrendous.
I guess it all depends on your definition of "generational talent" but other than Crosby, they don't have any in my book. You can't be called a generational talent if other players are scoring as much as you. Malkin's one of the best scorers in the league, no doubt, but in any given year D. Sedin or Stamkos or OV or Backstrom could outscore him. Don't mean to get off topic but wanted to mention that.

Quote:
WAS is getting worse by the day though it looks like they may finally have a goaltender now. Need to replenish their defense and replace Semin.

NJ is still not a very good team to me. They had good depth. They played a very tired rangers team because I still think our bottom 6 was better than theirs and our defense as a whole was better too, just a few mental lapses by del zotto who was fantastic all year. They are losing some of those depth forwards as well as parise.

FLA is not going to be able to overcome the better teams in the East. They will compete but they don't have enough to outlast those teams.

I mean those are just a few teams. Playoff teams from last year. I left out OTT for now. I put PHI ahead of Pittsburgh because imo their defense is improving and right now is better than PIT. You can't win without defense. Fleury's confidence was shot in that playoff series. He couldn't catch a break. It was a constant attack on him.
The NHL and, I guess, the NFL are the most unpredictable sports. Teams win the Cup and then struggle the next year. An 8 seed won the Cup this year. The stars have to align just right for a team wo win the Cup. Saying the Pens, or any other team, will be better or worse next season than any other playoff team from this season is nothing to bank on.

Closed Thread