HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I don't want him.
Then who do you propose that we add instead to help our scoring woes, especially with Gaborik out until November? Anyone not named Parise requires at least one step backwards before two steps forward. Parise is simply two steps forward since he doesn't cost talent.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Mrpuck

vCash: 500
That hole on the 2nd/3rd RD spot is a glaring hole at this point.
I keep looking over the UFA list and wow it really is slim pickings.
Jurcina was bad this year. What about Salo maybe? Joe Corvo perhaps.... not thrilled about any of them though.

More and more I look I think we may need to make a trade and that's where Dubi comes in.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:11 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Gut feeling that Pancake Penner is on the Rangers radar.
Hopefully he is hitting the gym.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:12 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Then who do you propose that we add instead to help our scoring woes, especially with Gaborik out until November? Anyone not named Parise requires at least one step backwards before two steps forward. Parise is simply two steps forward since he doesn't cost talent.
We stay the course and examine all options and try to work a deal that makes sense on all accounts.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:15 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
In a vacuum you're absolutely right. There is such a thing as the salary cap though. I'm not sure I'm willing to take on another large contract with the cap probably going down, and guys like McDonagh, Stepan, Del Zotto, and Hagelin needing new contracts in the next couple years.
we can take on another contract. as someone said earlier Sather and Co. wouldn't even be talking to CBJ if they didn't feel they could manage. Listen, if we miss out on the Nash, Ryan, Parises, i hope they have a plan to move on Semin, Doan and Whitney. At the very least you have to bring in support while Gaborik is on the mend.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I think that's what my hunch may be based on.
Which you run the risk of ruining a player. Bringing up a player before they are ready can have very negative ramifications.

Del Zotto, imo, was brought up too soon. But, luckily, he was able to steady himself. But that isn't going to happen for all players, even ones(if you take your time)could become productive NHLer's.

Unfortunately, the Rangers may be forced to. Some of our prospects might be put into a "sink or swim" scenario very soon.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 06-30-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Mrpuck

Quote:
I'd kick the tires on Whitney and Semin. Doan, if he's willing to move.
Konopka for the 4th line C and PK FO's.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:18 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want the cup 94 View Post
We dont need to waste money on stop guys . We need guys who can hit the net and score from the point on the PP . We have stop guys i need to stop watching the puck being shot from the left point during the power play . Hitting the glass and flying out of the zone on the right side .

We need 2 wingers that can Score . Not 3 or 4th liners who put up 15-20 goals Pure 2nd liners who put up 20-32 goals .

We have a young and up and coming team . We have the best goalie in the world . Before you know it our time will pass with Hank cause he isnt getting any younger .

We need to go all in this year and next and go for it . Nash/Ryan/Parise ect .

If the Pens get Parise and the Flyers get Ryan we might as well be happy with not making the playoffs and grabbing high picks think about trading off gabby and or Hank . With those offences i dont care what kind of D we have and who we have in net we wont be able to catch up . Tru story ...
I tend to agree with this. Having said that though, if the value isn't there, there's no point in setting the market, it'll cost you down the road. My expectations for tomorrow (and the next few days) have been lowered significantly as the day has gone on. I just hope that Sather doesn't do something for the sake of doing something.

Doan has been with the Jets/Coyotes for so long, it'd be hard for him to leave, especially if it's true that he won't sign until after the Coyote ownership mess is straightened out (but it's been 3 years already, not likely to get settled soon). If someone threw a godfather offer to him, he might consider it. I'd be leery of giving someone over 35 a multi-year deal (I don't know if that rule where the cap hit stays, no matter if the player plays for you or not will still be in place in the next CBA), though some 35+ year old players are better risks than others. Whitney, I probably would.

The market is even drier now than it was a couple days ago with so many re-signing with their current teams. Had interest in Gaustad, but not at 3.25m per. I'd give Semin 1 year, would be hard pressed to give him a second, but he likely wouldn't take that anyway, so move on.

Sather is in a bad spot; the trade market is expensive, and outside of Parise and Suter, there's nothing worth spending a ton of money on. May have to hope the 2013 UFA's to be don't re-sign with their current team or with the team they get traded to. The more prudent course of action, it looks like, would be to take some gambles on guys that haven't worked out with their current team, weren't given a qualifying offer, head to the 99 cent store for bargains. That, or pray Howson comes down to earth with what he wants for Nash, or see if something can be worked out on one of the Anaheim three (namely Ryan). You could talk to Edmonton to try to pry one of their young forwards.

Slim pickings.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
We stay the course and examine all options and try to work a deal that makes sense on all accounts.
No deal will make sense on all accounts, at least not for an impact player. Unfortunately Gainey is no longer a GM. That's why we should pursue Parise.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
I tend to agree with this. Having said that though, if the value isn't there, there's no point in setting the market, it'll cost you down the road. My expectations for tomorrow (and the next few days) have been lowered significantly as the day has gone on. I just hope that Sather doesn't do something for the sake of doing something.

Doan has been with the Jets/Coyotes for so long, it'd be hard for him to leave, especially if it's true that he won't sign until after the Coyote ownership mess is straightened out (but it's been 3 years already, not likely to get settled soon). If someone threw a godfather offer to him, he might consider it. I'd be leery of giving someone over 35 a multi-year deal (I don't know if that rule where the cap hit stays, no matter if the player plays for you or not will still be in place in the next CBA), though some 35+ year old players are better risks than others. Whitney, I probably would.

The market is even drier now than it was a couple days ago with so many re-signing with their current teams. Had interest in Gaustad, but not at 3.25m per. I'd give Semin 1 year, would be hard pressed to give him a second, but he likely wouldn't take that anyway, so move on.

Sather is in a bad spot; the trade market is expensive, and outside of Parise and Suter, there's nothing worth spending a ton of money on. May have to hope the 2013 UFA's to be don't re-sign with their current team or with the team they get traded to. The more prudent course of action, it looks like, would be to take some gambles on guys that haven't worked out with their current team, weren't given a qualifying offer, head to the 99 cent store for bargains. That, or pray Howson comes down to earth with what he wants for Nash, or see if something can be worked out on one of the Anaheim three (namely Ryan). You could talk to Edmonton to try to pry one of their young forwards.

Slim pickings.
Honestly, in this market, I would be willing to throw Doan a two year 6-6.5 million dollar deal.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Oh dear god. He will never make it through Torts training camp.

In fact I think I'm going to open up an ihop next to the training facility. I could make a little money off him.
Never know. Big guy who could open up space for Gabs and Richie. Could score 25-30 goals. Might not fit the mold now, but there's plenty of potential there.

Certainly not my first choice, but this team might have to get creative given how the market is shaping up.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
No deal will make sense on all accounts, at least not for an impact player. Unfortunately Gainey is no longer a GM. That's why we should pursue Parise.
So the plan is to lock us up with a horrible long term contract for a slightly above avg player because nothing else is available? Awesome logic.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I love how people assume that since we don't want Parise it means we're willing to give up 3/4 of our team for Nash or Ryan.

It couldn't possibly mean that we want to wait for the right player, right time, and right deal. That's just too...logical.
3/4 of the team?

3/4 of the team? The exaggerations are indeed growing?

Old
NikC

there are still some good bottom six players and depth defenseman that can strengthen our team. I simply will not accept that they can't at least do that.

I don't understand why some wont give Semin more than one year? This isn't Zherdev! I know the guy isn't an exact fit here, but he's a very good and consistent scorer with an absolute deadly shot. Any fan of a team that struggle to score goals the way that the NYR do, shouldn't just thumb their noses up at players like him.

Sometimes i just have to laugh at some these posters on this board.
You don't want the team to take on contracts, you don't want them to spend $, you don't want them to trade kids, you don't want them to trade prospects or picks....

you really think we have everything we need? we drafted all the talent we need and the rest is in the pipeline? we just have to sit back and wait? hey i'll gladly admit i was wrong if thats the case a couple of years down the road God willing, but honestly i just don't see what some of you are seeing here in players like AA, Stepan, MDZ, Hagelin, Dubinsky... They're pretty good, but nothing special imo.

Old
LordsCup*

Penner just won the cup. Im sure the last thing he is doing is hitting the gym. He has no motivation going into next season. Hes a lazy player.

Stay far, far away from him.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:35 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
So the plan is to lock us up with a horrible long term contract for a slightly above avg player because nothing else is available? Awesome logic.
Last year we signed a concussed, leaning towards past-his-prime Center to a nine year $60M deal. Open market economics are a *****, and these long contracts usually do bite you in the ass during the final years, but that's what you have to do to get impact players. Or were you against signing Brad Richards as well? I'm curious as to who you believe is the best option. How is Parise just slightly above average?

Old
06-30-2012, 10:36 PM
NikC

Quote:
Parise is slightly above average to you? Seems like the only way any team can lock up talent is to offer long term contracts. that's the norm now in the nhl. why is this viewed as illogical? The only players that deserve to locked up long term in your mind are Crosby, Ovechkin, and Stamkos?

Old
Dactyl

first off we were only a couple of goals away from the cup finals

Quote:

We need to go all in this year and next and go for it . Nash/Ryan/Parise ect .
NONONONONO to go "all in" for nash/ryan that mean that we would have to give up at least MDZ and step based on the demands no thank you

Quote:
If the Pens get Parise and the Flyers get Ryan we might as well be happy with not making the playoffs and grabbing high picks think about trading off gabby and or Hank . With those offences i dont care what kind of D we have and who we have in net we wont be able to catch up . Tru story ...
yea...sure we had an enormous lead on the conference. so big that we survived the flyers nipping at our heels and the pens multiple monster streaks while playing mediocre hockey. as long as those 2 teams have clowns in their nets they wont go anywhere. all out offense is totally wrong and does not win anything defense is the way to go. tru story...

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Last year we signed a concussed, leaning towards past-his-prime Center to a nine year $60M deal. Open market economics are a *****, and these long contracts usually do bite you in the ass during the final years, but that's what you have to do to get impact players. Or were you against signing Brad Richards as well? I'm curious as to who you believe is the best option. How is Parise just slightly above average?
For his production and what he wants ... that makes him average ... if he wanted say 5/6M for 5Y. I would take him in a heart beat. I wasn't against the Richards move at all.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
3/4 of the team?

3/4 of the team? The exaggerations are indeed growing?
well in his defense its 3/4 of the somewhat productive forwards that howson wants

Old
06-30-2012, 10:38 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Parise is slightly above average to you? Seems like the only way any team can lock up talent is to offer long term contracts. that's the norm now in the nhl. why is this viewed as illogical? The only players that deserve to locked up long term in your mind are Crosby, Ovechkin, and Stamkos?
I just don't see Parise solving our problems.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
agreed. he is an above average player but i do not believe he is the pure goal scorer we need right now

Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
first off we were only a couple of goals away from the cup finals

NONONONONO to go "all in" for nash/ryan that mean that we would have to give up at least MDZ and step based on the demands no thank you

yea...sure we had an enormous lead on the conference. so big that we survived the flyers nipping at our heels and the pens multiple monster streaks while playing mediocre hockey. as long as those 2 teams have clowns in their nets they wont go anywhere. all out offense is totally wrong and does not win anything defense is the way to go. tru story...
go back and watch the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Ottawa nearly knocked us out, with Neil and Carkner leading the way.

The ONLY way we survived was Luck, Lundqvist, and Krieder to provide... wait for it.... scoring.

we were dead in the water. wake up people. i know all those years from 97-04 were bad, but you're not thinking clearly here. you're fooling yourselves....

Old
06-30-2012, 10:45 PM
NikC

Quote:
really? wow. I'm willing to move MDZ, AA, Duby, and even Stepan in a move to bring in Nash or Ryan, and I still take Parise just for the $ issue alone! he's a consistent 30g scorer who will fit in this system better than any UFA on the market. he will slot in for Gaborik until he returns, and he's the extra goal scorer we need going forward.

not only that, but you can still use Duby/AA in a package to bring in another quality player through another trade.

Parise should be their #1 priority

After Parise, it should be Semin. for the same reasons as you can package Duby, AA, etc. in a move for another top 6 scorer.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:45 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
For his production and what he wants ... that makes him average ... if he wanted say 5/6M for 5Y. I would take him in a heart beat. I wasn't against the Richards move at all.
I don't see the logic with being for Richards but against Parise, but to each his own.

Closed Thread