HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 01:28 AM
rickyrod

vCash: 500
I'd love to see Jagr sign with us again on a one year deal. I don't know what that does to Cally's second line spot once Gabby comes back and takes over the first line RW spot, it boosts our first PP unit anyway. MDZ feeding Jagr for one-timers and Jagr grinding space for Gabby on the same PP unit could be a boon.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:29 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
The perception that Semin lacks a two way game is completely overblown. He can be a hard worker in his own end when he wants to be. Even so, if he's put on a line with defensively responsible linemates, he'd be ok. If any coach can motivate him, Tortorella can. If he doesn't play up to expectations, Wolski him. No biggie.
Agreed.

The question is whether he's open to putting his ego aside and sign with a team that puts such a strong emphasis on defense and grind. As well as a team that's not likely to give him the 4+ year deal that I'm sure he wants and can probably get from someone else.

Let's put it this way. If Semin signs here (barring a major loosening of financial restraint on Sather's part, which I don't foresee), it shows that he's committed to winning and becoming a better all-around hockey player.

I like him. He has some serious talent that we could definitely use, but honestly, I would say the chances of him playing for the Rangers next season is below 10%. Unless he's willing to take a deal on our terms, we will move on to other options.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I'm more than willing to take a chance on Semin and/or Jagr.

I'd actually love to have Jagr back. Winning it all with him in a Rangers sweater sounds right.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Old
07-01-2012, 01:34 AM
bouds

Semin will carry a higher cap hit than Wolski, and if he doesn't play hard here who's going to step up and take him off our hands? Meanwhile we wasted time and money on someone who wasn't really a fit here to begin with. I'd do it for a sub 5m per year, no more than 2 years. Too much risk, if he plays better he can reap the rewards by cashing in on another FA contract.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:34 AM
nyr5186

If Jagr wants to sign here for one year at $2.5 mil, I'm all for it.

I don't think Sather wants him back though.

We'll see.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:40 AM
bouds

Would you sign Semin for 6-6.5m per?

That's a lot $ for him IMO.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouds View Post
Would you sign Semin for 6-6.5m per?

That's a lot $ for him IMO.
The Rangers need all the offense they can get, however that price is cost prohibitive. I don't see him as a good fit here. Between his lackadaisical play and Tortorella, his signing has disaster written all over it.

Edit: To answer your question, no.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Holocene

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
I'd love to see Jagr sign with us again on a one year deal. I don't know what that does to Cally's second line spot once Gabby comes back and takes over the first line RW spot, it boosts our first PP unit anyway. MDZ feeding Jagr for one-timers and Jagr grinding space for Gabby on the same PP unit could be a boon.
Callahan is better suited playing the "third" (which is really just a 2b) line with Anisimov and Dubinsky. That line works so well together, I don't understand why they're ever apart. So there definitely would be an open spot for Jagr if that was the route we were to take.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
Ray Whitney, a 4th line center, and a depth D-man would be fine by me
thats my hope

Old
07-01-2012, 02:38 AM
ThisYearsModel

Jagr is done. Semin is a possibilty, but would have to accept a discount and why should he? I hope that he does not end up in Pittsburgh. I hope Parise goes to Minnesota. Nash to San Jose. I woud take Semin and Whitney. That would add some goals to the club. Cally could play on the 3rd line with Anisimov. Stepan and Kreider, Richards and Semin (or Nash) until Gaby returns. There is enough grit there on the 4th so long as we replace Prust properly. ho knows,JT MIller might make it and replace Prust's grit with signifcantly more skill.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Zil

I honestly don't want any of the free agents unless Ray Whitney changes his mind and decides he's ok with a one year deal. The smart play might be to wait and see if Suter leaves Nashville and Weber becomes available.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:18 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I honestly don't want any of the free agents unless Ray Whitney changes his mind and decides he's ok with a one year deal. The smart play might be to wait and see if Suter leaves Nashville and Weber becomes available.
You go hardddddddddd after Parise. If that doesn't work you look at Doan. I think he adds some scoring depth, further hunger to this team and a veteran presence for a young group. If that doesnt work out then Ray Whitney...finally if you strikeout on those 3 Ryan Smyth is another option. I don't like the idea of Semin. I can sense some possible controversy coming into play with a guy like him and i dont want to see a solid groups chemistry to be messed with. Take a safer path thats for sure. We're close to the prize.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:28 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
You go hardddddddddd after Parise. If that doesn't work you look at Doan. I think he adds some scoring depth, further hunger to this team and a veteran presence for a young group. If that doesnt work out then Ray Whitney...finally if you strikeout on those 3 Ryan Smyth is another option. I don't like the idea of Semin. I can sense some possible controversy coming into play with a guy like him and i dont want to see a solid groups chemistry to be messed with. Take a safer path thats for sure. We're close to the prize.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Broadway Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Jagr is done. Semin is a possibilty, but would have to accept a discount and why should he? I hope that he does not end up in Pittsburgh. I hope Parise goes to Minnesota. Nash to San Jose. I woud take Semin and Whitney. That would add some goals to the club. Cally could play on the 3rd line with Anisimov. Stepan and Kreider, Richards and Semin (or Nash) until Gaby returns. There is enough grit there on the 4th so long as we replace Prust properly. ho knows,JT MIller might make it and replace Prust's grit with signifcantly more skill.
Hmmm 19 goals and 54 points would've been 4th and tied for 3rd on the team last year. Yeah, he's definitely done. Who wants him.

Old
07-01-2012, 04:07 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Trade Staal, Miller and a 1st for Skinner
Sign free agents Suter, Doan, Tootoo, Carkner, Bickel and Fedotenko

Suter - Girardi
McD - MDZ
Erixon - stralman/Carkner
Bickel

Skinner - Richards - Hagelin
Kreider - Stepan - Doan
Dubinsky - AA - Cally
Rupp - Boyle - too too
Fedotenko

When Gabby is back, wow do we have depth...

And if you are wondering - yes, I am still quite drunk

Old
07-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
The perception that Semin lacks a two way game is completely overblown. He can be a hard worker in his own end when he wants to be. Even so, if he's put on a line with defensively responsible linemates, he'd be ok. If any coach can motivate him, Tortorella can. If he doesn't play up to expectations, Wolski him. No biggie.
I kind of agree.

He is very explosive in all areas and plays a sniper game, but he isn't a prototypical broad range sniper and isn't really strong in any other area. Hence he will never be a big star in this league (and I think that's why people tend to get down on him, had he been more of a 40 goal scorer it would get a pass for the areas he isn't that strong in).

In the end, it just feel like any offer we make to him will be kind of half-arsed if you get what I mean. He knows what we are about. Callahan is our nr 1 RW and Gabby is our nr 2 RW. He would be our nr 3, on many nights at least. We wouldn't offer him top dollars. All this while I expect one organization to come nocking on his door as early as possible and really give him a heck of a pitch. I just doubt we could compete with that.

Old
07-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not sure Parise is what we need, he's going to require a mega contract, and he's likely only interested in using us for leverage. Doan is on the downside of his career and will in all likelihood require a large contract if he decides to leave Phoenix. Ryan Smyth doesn't appear to have much left. Next summer might see Getzlaf, Perry, and Weber hit free agency. Even if they don't hit the market, we likely have some of Miller, Thomas, Yogan, and McIlrath ready to compete for spots at that point.

Old
07-01-2012, 04:19 AM
mac

My first and second choice would be Doan.

After that pick any two from the 2mill and under category McClement, Latendesse, Arnott, Prust

Pick one from the 1.5 and under Armstrong, Konopka, Winnik, Moss

Old
07-01-2012, 04:26 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
I'm not sure Parise is what we need, he's going to require a mega contract, and he's likely only interested in using us for leverage. Doan is on the downside of his career and will in all likelihood require a large contract if he decides to leave Phoenix. Ryan Smyth doesn't appear to have much left. Next summer might see Getzlaf, Perry, and Weber hit free agency. Even if they don't hit the market, we likely have some of Miller, Thomas, Yogan, and McIlrath ready to compete for spots at that point.
FastandLindberg will be ready too

Old
07-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brad View Post
Hmmm 19 goals and 54 points would've been 4th and tied for 3rd on the team last year. Yeah, he's definitely done. Who wants him.
Playing with Claude Giroux. Did you see him in the playoffs? He's shot, his legs are gone

Old
07-01-2012, 05:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Trade Staal, Miller and a 1st for Skinner
Sign free agents Suter, Doan, Tootoo, Carkner, Bickel and Fedotenko

Suter - Girardi
McD - MDZ
Erixon - stralman/Carkner
Bickel

Skinner - Richards - Hagelin
Kreider - Stepan - Doan
Dubinsky - AA - Cally
Rupp - Boyle - too too
Fedotenko

When Gabby is back, wow do we have depth...

And if you are wondering - yes, I am still quite drunk
That would explain that trade proposal...you'd have to be drunk to be willing to give up that much for Jeff Skinner.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:50 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Playing with Claude Giroux. Did you see him in the playoffs? He's shot, his legs are gone
He wasnt that bad.

Id take him on a one year deal in a heartbeat.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather needs to move on from Nash. McKenzie was on the NHL Network last night discussing Nash. He said nothing is going on with Nash. Philly was talking to Columbus but they aren't close to making a deal. No team is close to trading for Nash. This nonsense has been going on for five months. Jordan Staal was traded in 24 hours. Shero was reasonable in his demands. Sather can't get bogged down worrying about Nash or Ryan. The price for Ryan isn't cheap either. The teams which don't get Parise are going to be throwing themselves at Nash or Ryan. They never talk about the price.

Brooks wrote the Rangers will make an offer for Parise if he is willing to play in NY.

Quote:
Brandon Prust is all but gone, the valuable support player apparently in line for a contract under which he might earn at least $2.5 million per for three or four years.

Prust may give the Blueshirts a right to match, but it’s extremely unlikely the Rangers would commit that kind of money to a winger who gets less than 12 minutes of ice a game, no matter his intangibles.

Instead, the Blueshirts are likely to at least investigate the possibility of signing Jordin Tootoo, the 29-year-old, eight-season Predators veteran with the checkered history who could play a role similar to Prust.

Sather is likely to check in on Shane Doan, but it is believed the long-time Phoenix captain would prefer to remain out west even if he does not re-up with the Coyotes. The GM probably will check with Alex Semin of the Capitals, Jiri Hudler of the Red Wings, Brad Boyes of the Sabres and Ray Whitney of the Coyotes, but is unlikely to offer lucrative multi-year deals to entice any of them.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1zMotGx4M

The Rangers found Prust in a trade. He gave them 2 plus good seasons. Time to move on. Go find another Prust in a trade. The Rangers scouting staff does a good job.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

All of these articles talking about the $70.2M cap and the 10% bump but not one mentions the CBA will expire with management looking for a decent size cut in the players %. Lower cap #. You look at the formula and all of the numbers. The upper limit will be $62M with $3.3B and the players getting 50%. That's assuming everything remains the same. 5% added to the midpoint. $8M added to the midpoint.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:07 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
All of these articles talking about the $70.2M cap and the 10% bump but not one mentions the CBA will expire with management looking for a decent size cut in the players %. Lower cap #. You look at the formula and all of the numbers. The upper limit will be $62M with $3.3B and the players getting 50%. That's assuming everything remains the same. 5% added to the midpoint. $8M added to the midpoint.

This is why I'm not understanding how the Pens can put a large offer on the board for either Parise or Suter. They are operating as if that $70.2M will be the norm, even after the CBA is re-negotiated.

Closed Thread