HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

How Good/Bad is Dennis Wideman?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
as long as you dont overuse him like hunter he'll be ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
yeah, hunter overused wideman by putting him on the 3rd pairing...
Despite being on the 3rd pairing, Wideman still got 20:44 per game in the playoffs.

A couple more fun fact about Wideman's playoffs:

Wideman led all Caps' defensemen in playoffs time, with 42:25, or 3:01 a game. In those minutes he recorded a total of 2 assists.

The only thing worse than Wideman's play on the PP was his play at even strength. The Caps gave up 21 even strength goals this post-season, and Wideman, despite getting just 16:08 of even strength ice time a night, was on for 13 of them. He wasn't even helping out offensively, as he was only on for 6 even strength Caps' goals, the fewest outside of Schultz and Erskine.

Honestly, we probably would've been better off giving MAB 20 minutes a night. Widemans' performance this postseason was the worst I've ever seen, I was quite literally terrified whenever he was on the ice. The fact that Hunter never seemed to realize how much of a liability Wideman was was inexplicable.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:09 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I predict he will do just fine paired with someone like Hannan. Just as he became an all star here largely paired with Hammer.

The problem I see is that Calgary will be hard pressed to always give him the LD he meshes best with. Much like happened here, over the... I am sorry I can't stop laughing as I type this, over the course of his 5 year contract, he will be in less than optimal pairings.

In the wrong pairing, expect to not be liking this signing. Maybe by years end. Paired with Schultz in the playoffs, every single shift was an adventure. The only time I ever celebrated even shifts throughout games. Puck in benches - Wideman! Really. Combined -20 yet 13 out of 14 games were 1 goal games.

Hmmm. Sarge is from Calgary, heh. Only way to go is up for those 2.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:30 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I predict he will do just fine paired with someone like Hannan. Just as he became an all star here largely paired with Hammer.

The problem I see is that Calgary will be hard pressed to always give him the LD he meshes best with. Much like happened here, over the... I am sorry I can't stop laughing as I type this, over the course of his 5 year contract, he will be in less than optimal pairings.

In the wrong pairing, expect to not be liking this signing. Maybe by years end. Paired with Schultz in the playoffs, every single shift was an adventure. The only time I ever celebrated even shifts throughout games. Puck in benches - Wideman! Really. Combined -20 yet 13 out of 14 games were 1 goal games.

Hmmm. Sarge is from Calgary, heh. Only way to go is up for those 2.
Hah, good one. My eyes started glazing over as soon as I saw the first digit "5" in his contract..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg
Wideman has a full no movement clause. #Flames

HeyMattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

They are both run by idiots.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Good offensive instincts, but what i disliked the most about the guy - he just cant keep the puck at the offensive blue line to save his life.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
SDBondra

Your problem now, Calgary! This man trips over pucks and invisible objects at least once per game. On the plus side, he really played his heart out during the playoffs. He wasn't good, but his level of effort was top notch.

Seriously, this is the my favorite Caps trade of all time. Way to go McPhee!

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Otter

The Caps asked him to fill the void Mike Green left by getting his head destroyed. He held up at that for quite a while but faded as the season wore on. He can move the puck and has good scoring instinct and a decent shot. He had some major gaffs when he had to do too much defensive work but he's not a bad defensemen. People just go straight to extremes with everything these days so keep that in mind as you read. The Flames almost certainly overcommitted in years and money though. But if the system fits him he will help the team. Good luck.

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Kcoyote3

vCash: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I'll be interested to see if he's paired with Hannan (if he re-signs). Those two did admirably together down the stretch for BB two years ago prior to his injury. Third pair ES minutes with PP time and I think he'll earn that contract.... initially before he wears down by the last 2ish years.
Hannan did well with every defenseman he was paired with on the Caps. He actually made Mike Green look pretty damn good. Still don't understand why he wasn't re-signed especially after giving up Flash for him.

Kcoyote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Kcoyote3

vCash: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Matty B View Post
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg
Wideman has a full no movement clause. #Flames
Bahahaahah Calgary got oh so boned here.

Kcoyote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
edamer

lol! i literally sat in my chair saying "yes... yeeees.... yeeees!!!"

lol! calgary and wideman, they really do deserve each other. i'm sorry for the hate, but wideman was just a horrible experience to watch.

edamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Brave Sir Robin

I wonder if Wideman would be less brutal defensively if we played zone, rather than man-to-man coverage.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Ridley Simon

Wideman was ok for the Caps, as he had his MAJOR ups and downs with the team.

His Ups were early in the season = not a lot of pressure

His Downs were late in the season/playoffs = LOTS of pressure.

Take what you will, from that.

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
"We had Dennis Wideman right up there on top of the list," Feaster said. "We made the decision [to see] if we could get the opportunity to talk to him ahead of time. We contacted Washington; [GM] George McPhee said 'if you get a deal done, it's a fifth-round pick.

"We tried to get a deal done right through Round 5 of the draft on Saturday. Afterwards, I went back to George and said 'I think we're close. If we get a deal done next week, we'll still flip the fifth. Are you still willing to do it?' He said he was, we continued the negotiating process and we were able to get a contract signed this morning."
Was he maybe confusing him with Suter?

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Ovechtrick89

Thank our lucky stars people, today is a good day. The defensively shocking and inept Dennis Wideman is no more in a capitals jersey. Finally no more blunders that cost us big, we can move forward with great prospects such as Orlov and go after a cup the right way instead of overrated, overpaid and over the hill players like Wideman.

Sorry i don't care what you offer going forward because we got Ovi, Backstrom, Semin et al to do that, your first job is to DEFEND your goal and if you can't do that as a D-Man then i don't want you personally.

Ovechtrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'll say I thought they said 4m per not 5... (ie 21 not 25). Add the full nmc and ouch! That's just insanity.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:22 AM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I'll be interested to see if he's paired with Hannan (if he re-signs). Those two did admirably together down the stretch for BB two years ago prior to his injury. Third pair ES minutes with PP time and I think he'll earn that contract.... initially before he wears down by the last 2ish years.
Came in to post this, would a Sean Avery-esque sloppy seconds joke be inappropriate?

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

When I saw it on twitter today I seriously thought it was a joke, then I found out it was sincere.

I'm so sorry Calgary, you will regret that contract most likely, unless some miracle happens.

I don't hate Wideman, but man he is no where near worth that. Point wise maybe close, but hes a liability.

GMGM should of moved him at the dead line last year, maybe he took some offers but no one was interested, who knows.. If he didn't I can imagine what the return would have been if hes this over valued.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
So the Flames just signed him to a 5 year 21 million dollar contract. Is he really as bad as advertised, or is that just the HF reputation which caught fire. Be honest but be objective. Interested to hear from you guys.
5 years 26.25 million dollar contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
ennis Wi eman is exactly what HFBoards thinks Mike Green is.

I'm so sorry.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Atlas

I call Wideman the Random Tennis Ball Cannon Machine and you fine CGY fans will know what that means in a few months.

But he is a legit NHL D man. It's not like he belongs in the AHL. He's just not good enough IMO to play at all for a Stanley Cup winner. He has atrocious hockey sense. Otherwise, he's ok. He's a good skater, he tries. But that's about twice as much money as he's worth. Has CGY been going to the cap limit. If not, who cares?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:37 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

We did switch to man coverage in the middle of the year, which seemed to suit him well. Running around chasing players fit his game, as he gives a full effort and hustles. Man may have been a factor in his horrible playoff pairing though, being paired with Sarge, who I think still struggles with playoff speeds and it was even worse in man.

Offense is the strong part of his game. He near single handed resurrected our power play for a month 2 seasons ago when Green was injured.

Do be sure to come back and bump this thread and let us know what your impressions are. In the right system with the right pairing, he can be an all star.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
Flames needed an offensive D.

Hope he can provide the points.
Yes. Yes he can. For the other team.

I'm thrilled he didn't come back. Whew! I was hoping GM didn't get stupid there...

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
I wonder if Wideman would be less brutal defensively if we played zone, rather than man-to-man coverage.
I was actually wondering this myself. My guess is no, as a lot of his mistakes didn't seem related to that, but it's certainly a question.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:26 PM
artilector

Every time I see this thread title.. there's an extra word in it.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote